Carmelo Anthony, the new Glenn Robinson.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
There is no crow to eat.

Metro said Melo is a top OFFENSIVE player.
Metro's arguement is that Melo isnt a top defensive player which means he cannot be taken into consideration for Top 10 players in the league.

I fully understand where he's coming from, I just dont like it :teeth:

But I still laugh at your inclusion of Westbrook Metro :mrgreen:

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
I've accepted NNY point about Melo unstoppable ability to get to the free throw line.

When a strong point is made, I openly accept it.
When it isn't, I can't.

Just keep it simple.

I am happy to say I have never liked Melo. He has a soft body, fake Puerto Rican, scumbag attitude. I can't really hate Melo though. He's a Knick and our best offensive weapon, without a doubt. I hate Isiah, thats a more genuine hate. Isiah destroyed the franchise under Dolan...so that hate is quite reasonable. I can't hate Melo YET.

I can end up hating Melo if he doesn't play more consistently and efficiency on both ends of the court, because we gave up a lot of value to acquire him. Would be a sad thing as a Knicks fan to see it go to a waste.

Forget about when the game is on the line, I'm going to get the player who will make my team more successful. Durant, Wade, and Kobe right now are all vastly superior to Melo and they get their teams more wins.

You can't have the game on the line if you're not competitive with the elite teams. Melo is definitely clutch, but give the guy who will be clutch through the entire game instead of the last minute (if we're even in the game).

Hey Fender,
I love the Knicks.
I just keep it real and like to think critically.
Can I live?

Melo's recent performances have been money well spent, no doubt about it. Great balance on his jumpshots, he's playing in rhythm and he's in sync with himself.

See, you got to show me where Melo's defense has been "superior", because superior is a very strong word, its like saying Bruce Bowen is a superior defender to Allan Houston, which is obviously true. You've got to sit me down and give me the education on how Melo all of a sudden became a superior defender to Kobe and Durant. I really don't see it.

I understand Kobe may not be in his prime, but you have to understand Kobe has been one of the most elite defenders at SG we've seen in our ERA. A declining Kobe's defense will even be vastly superior to a prime Melo. I've watch A LOT of Knicks game this season and theres so many moments where Melo looks like he doesn't take defense seriously and has very little interest in stopping the ball.

Kobe has been the ultimate chucking troll this season, not doubt. He leads the NBA in 15-23 FT Jumpshots attempted in 7.8 Per game. The 2nd guy behind him is Ellis with 6.4.

Melo is also ranked in the top 10 of FGA in 15-23

at 3-9 FT Kobe is 1.3/3.0 (42%)
at 3-9FT Melo is 0.3/1.3 (26%)

10-15 FT Kobe is even better.

Melo does at has more attempts at the rim, but Kobe has a higher shooting percentage at the rim at 66% where Melo is 60%

Your argument is quite flawed because Melo's shot selection is still in question and the guys you mention aren't as jump shot oriented as you think.

Did you know Melo takes more 15-23 FT Jumpshots than Kevin Durant? Durant is at 4 shooting 49%, Melo is over 5 shooting 33%.

At Rim shots, Melo and Durant both equal out on shot attempts, except Durant shoots 72% at the rim and Melo is at 60%. Even Russell Westbrook is shooting higher at Rim than Melo and is taking 6.3 FGA attempts from that range, 1.1 more than Carmelo.

All these guys listed are DYNAMIC scorers. No doubt. They can score from anywhere. Melo just happens to be less efficient and accurate from certain ranges which creates weaknesses in his game, not particular strengths. Once Melo gathers himself and improves at his shooting accuracy beyond the rim (Which in the past of his career he's proven to do but not at an elite rate) then this would be a fair discussion.

Melo isn't in Durant's or Kobe's class.

You sound really mad and plain ol' crazy. Relax kid.

No one really cares if you were own of the few people, you're also one of the few Laker fans in a Knicks forum. People like you would get beat up on my block for coming around with those soft purple and piss yellow colors. Its orange and blue from where I'm at.

As for having a mind of your own, you still haven't proven it even with your dramatic poorly thought out paragraph.

Prove to me how I'm making up anything when I'm clearly providing information and statistics from this season to prove my points? You seem to let your anger and inferiority complex get the best of you.

I'm providing facts and fair arguments...you seem to be more focused on something else. Get your mind straight and recognized this is a bball discussion, not a place for you to act like a little biatch.

I was cheering for Melo and the Knicks with my uncle actually, when they beat the Bulls and when they lost @ Chi-town. We also curse out the TV in anger when Knicks aren't doing good...samething goes for when we attend the games. Just because I present information on Carmelo's shooting woes doesn't mean I want him to do worse. I have no ties to my arguments.

Congratulations though, you seem like a really low-IQ guy and who gets easily emotional. Nothing in your post stated really relates to the topic. Its a waste of texting...stop posting or learn how to post without expressing your emotions. If you're a girl, then its understandable.

As for Melo being the leader, thats what a mainstream simple minded basketball fan would think. Tyson Chandler is the man in New York, he has a championship ring and on and off the court he's simply be the most consistent and effective player we've had.

Theres been a lot of games that Melo's "leadership" has cost us, almost equal to the amount of games that Chandler's leadership has saved us.

Lmao is there an ignore feature on this site I can't read this guys post anymore, you gotta be a little mentally challenged or a little crazy like on some serious shit I'm not even trying make jokes here but it seems like theres something wrong with you and I don't wanna make fun of someone who has real issues.

But anyway you said I was a follower and had no mind of my own so I clearly gave you examples of me going against the majority and now you have nothing to say about that dumb baseless comment you would made, when you have no idea who I am I could be the most eccentric poster on this site in my private life. Just for the fact that I'm a damn Laker fan who also likes the Knicks and post on this site shows I do my own thing.

And your talking about emotional when your whole basis of disrespecting Melo is because of some stupid non basketball issues like you claiming he's a fake Rican and New Yorker. Come on now thats some female shit leave your personal emotions at the door and stop being biased the guys a beast and you seem to be the only one not realizing this you don't think at some point it's you and not everyone else. But being that your most likely crazy or retarded theses things probably go right over your head.

And good luck with your next lame ass unintelligent post spewing some stupid new personal attacks or bad points to down play Melo. Like someone else said about you in another thread your the village idiot here a matter a fact I'm dumbing myself down by continuing to talk to you, I apologize.

Last edited:

CA7

Scoring Champ
I cant lie, Metro has his opinion on Melo just like we all have our opinions on everyone

I personally dont think Jeremy Lin is a good fit for the type of time we should be but I digress,

if Melo continues to play this way he has the last 9/10 games and we continue to win, Metro cannot say he is not a top 5 player, the next Glenn Robinson and soft..........BUT if he stops playing excellent D, scoring effectively and efficiently and continuing to make guys better then he has an argument

regardless of the fact we all our one fan base and we should all hope every player we have performs at the highest level possible and contributes to the team in a positive manner

metrocard

Legend
I think it's time to lock this thread and put it down to a bad judgement call. In time, no-one will remember it ever existed.

One last thing before we put this to rest. Durant has such a high % inside the paint due to predominantly taking those shots on the break (i.e unguarded) You'll rarely see Durant take on a player in the paint.

Its kinda cowardly to call to lock a thread when I presented so many valid points to the topic and especially to many of you. I kinda lost a lot of respect for people here. The forum members here don't match up well with the classic posters from the past. The classic posters would actually acknowledge and credit to the new information they learned and not be embarrassed.

Its kinda better when new members just stay in the game thread because you guys really don't know how to handle yourselves when theres information that doesn't support your argument.

For example, check out this cool Carmelo stat:

Shots attempted with under 24 seconds left in 4th quarter or ot trailing by two or less in regular season and playoffs (from 00-01 season until now)

Carmelo Anthony - 51% (25 for 49)
Chris Paul - 41% (13 for 32)
Dirk Nowitzki - 36% (21 for 59)
Ray Allen - 35% (21 for 60)
LeBron James - 31% (21 for 68)
Vince carter - 30% (22 for 73)
Kobe Bryant - 30% (31 for 103)
Dwayne wade - 27% (15 for 56)
Joe Johnson - 26% (17 for 65)
Derrick Rose - 25% (8 for 32)
Kevin Durant - 24% (11 for 45)

Carmelo is in a class in his own.

I got information that supports both sides of the argument. Yet, you guys have this weak agenda that you won't let ago.

Learn to accept the facts instead of cry...and don't take my language as insulting, I'm simply just saying this because I'm left with nothing else.

and Durant is 6"10 with extremely long arms and skill...he can be as effective at the rim as any SF in the NBA, and his stats prove that and over Carmelo also. If you're trying to take that away from him with something you can't prove, then shame on you.

Be a man and eat your crow Metro

I will eat nothing because you didn't cook anything.

Be a man and learn how to cook. You seem to be the fat guy at the table waiting for mommy to serve his plate.

Think for yourself, be critical minded, create your own ideas. This is how you separate yourself from the rest.

Peace.

Lmao is there an ignore feature on this site I can't read this guys post anymore, you gotta be a little mentally challenged or a little crazy like on some serious shit I'm not even trying make jokes here but it seems like theres something wrong with you and I don't wanna make fun of someone who has real issues.

But anyway you said I was a follower and had no mind of my own so I clearly gave you examples of me going against the majority and now you have nothing to say about that dumb baseless comment you would made, when you have no idea who I am I could be the most eccentric poster on this site in my private life. Just for the fact that I'm a damn Laker fan who also likes the Knicks and post on this site shows I do my own thing.

And your talking about emotional when your whole basis of disrespecting Melo is because of some stupid non basketball issues like you claiming he's a fake Rican and New Yorker. Come on now thats some female shit leave your personal emotions at the door and stop being biased the guys a beast and you seem to be the only one not realizing this you don't think at some point it's you and not everyone else. But being that your most likely crazy or retarded theses things probably go right over your head.

And good luck with your next lame ass unintelligent post spewing some stupid new personal attacks or bad points to down play Melo. Like someone else said about you in another thread your the village idiot here a matter a fact I'm dumbing myself down by continuing to talk to you, I apologize.

Probably the worst post in Knicksonline.com history.
Dude didn't even know where to start or finish.

To be honest, you guys suck.

I'll just debate this against myself.

"Carmelo's production is identical to Glen Robinson if you check the research"

"But Melo is so clutch, check out this video"

Be cool guys, you're lameness killed the thread. It could of been an all time classic thread, but no one has a strong argument to work with here....or has the balls to accept the information presented to them.

I support Carmelo Anthony because he's a Knick.
I am also a critical fan so I can't hide my honesty on how he's playing, whether is good or bad.

I cant lie, Metro has his opinion on Melo just like we all have our opinions on everyone

I personally dont think Jeremy Lin is a good fit for the type of time we should be but I digress,

if Melo continues to play this way he has the last 9/10 games and we continue to win, Metro cannot say he is not a top 5 player, the next Glenn Robinson and soft..........BUT if he stops playing excellent D, scoring effectively and efficiently and continuing to make guys better then he has an argument

regardless of the fact we all our one fan base and we should all hope every player we have performs at the highest level possible and contributes to the team in a positive manner

Well even if Melo plays D and scores properly, he's not better than Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Dwight Howard, Dwayne Wade, LeBron James, and Kevin Love. These guys are MVP candidates and too consistently good. Melo will be close to them, but not there yet.

p0nder

Starter
Metro;

Melo does take more total jumpshots/3 point shots then shots at at the rim. But if you break down his splits he is taking nearly 7 shots per game at the rim, which is more then any other area in the gym and he converts those at a clip of 61+% accounting for about 9 points nightly and about 1/3 of his total points.

He creates his own offense and by being the threat he is, helps create offensive opportunities for his teammates. He drives the lane in a fearless fashion, runs the open court, knocks down his jumpers, attacks the rim and can stroke a 3 pointer too. On offense there are not many players that can stack up with Melo. His heights and length give him the ability to be a beast on the block and he often gives the Highly Valued Big Man fits when guarding him.

As well to your point about him getting blocked, he gets blocked on about 1 shot per game but he's also averaging 0.7 blocks per as well over the last 10 and is a better defender then ANYONE thought coming into this season. We are seeing a re-tooling of Melo. His game is evolving, becoming more complete. I use this last 10 game stretch to point this out because before then Melo was injured. You are now seeing Melo in top form and what he can do for us at his best.

Where would we be without Tyson? well probably in the basement. I see the value in the defensive stopper and the big man game. I play the post myself so I probably value the C and PF positions more then most. But Basketball is a team sport. Where would we be without Linsanity? Where would we be without JR, Shump, Novak, and Fields and Jeffereies stepping it up? And ask yourself this... where would we be without Melo these last 5 games? Would we even have a chance in the postseason without Melo scoring 28 points a night? If you are asking me TC over Melo i'll agree that I'd rather have TC in the paint taking care of that business. But Melo is as integral to what the Knicks do as anyone else on the team.

At the end of the day the game is about putting the ball through the hoop. Melo is one of the best ever at this and that contribution should not be undervalued. Neither should his clutch factor. Hedo has made an entire NBA career off of being a 1 dimensional shooter. He gets paid millions of dollars to do that one thing. He is a terrible defender, can't create his own shot, sucks under the rim for a 6'10 guy and has little value anywhere else but camped out on the 3point line. Melo does it as good as this guy but also adds in the layups, dunks, rebounds, defense, mid range game, screening and passing that make him a complete offensive player and worth much more then Hedo turkeyglue.

And, sure, 80% is about the minimum to be considered a "good" ft shooter he's still knocking down the clutch ones though, which is what is really important.

Melo is just starting to heat up and give us these spectacular performances like last night. You can expect them to continue. You are positioned poorly on this Metro. Melo has you sealed off on his way for a slam dunk ally-oop. You're just gonna have to live with the fact that the best player on our favorite team is Melo and hope that he can bring you more of this. Melo is far from being done physically or mentally and I expect this trend to continue. Perhaps after sunday you will have more ammo to fire back, but until then, enjoy the show he's gonna put on against the wizards.

:beer: :gony: :smokin:

p0nder, first paragraph is false. Melo takes more jumpshots than close range shots. Check the website again and reread your research.

second paragraph, still linked to the false point you made up.
Great? Strong word, make a fair argument, not an extreme one. Great is more 85-90% FT. 80% is more good than great.

3 Games is a small sample size, very small.

Last year the Nuggets were unable to trade Carmelo for the likes of Joakim Noah and Brook Lopez. When it comes down to W-L, teams value bigs who protect the paint more than flashy, volume-shooting wing scorers. Simple minded fans love the flash style making difficult shots in exchange for a lot of missed FGA. Its the reason why Tony Parker > Allen Iverson. Shaq was the obvious primary scoring option for LAL over Kobe and why Kobe couldn't win a championship without big men.

p0nder, look at us. Really ask yourself...what the Knicks right now would be without Tyson Chandler?

I'll give you Melosexuals a cool stat though.

In game winning shots, Carmelo is shooting 50%
Where Durant is below 40% so is Kobe and LeBron.

Hedo Turkoglu also is shooting 50% for game winning shots, so there you go.

TakMan

Rotation player
Its kinda cowardly to call to lock a thread when I presented so many valid points to the topic and especially to many of you. I kinda lost a lot of respect for people here. The forum members here don't match up well with the classic posters from the past. The classic posters would actually acknowledge and credit to the new information they learned and not be embarrassed.

Its kinda better when new members just stay in the game thread because you guys really don't know how to handle yourselves when theres information that doesn't support your argument.

For example, check out this cool Carmelo stat:

Shots attempted with under 24 seconds left in 4th quarter or ot trailing by two or less in regular season and playoffs (from 00-01 season until now)

Carmelo Anthony - 51% (25 for 49)
Chris Paul - 41% (13 for 32)
Dirk Nowitzki - 36% (21 for 59)
Ray Allen - 35% (21 for 60)
LeBron James - 31% (21 for 68)
Vince carter - 30% (22 for 73)
Kobe Bryant - 30% (31 for 103)
Dwayne wade - 27% (15 for 56)
Joe Johnson - 26% (17 for 65)
Derrick Rose - 25% (8 for 32)
Kevin Durant - 24% (11 for 45)

Carmelo is in a class in his own.

I got information that supports both sides of the argument. Yet, you guys have this weak agenda that you won't let ago.

Learn to accept the facts instead of cry...and don't take my language as insulting, I'm simply just saying this because I'm left with nothing else.

and Durant is 6"10 with extremely long arms and skill...he can be as effective at the rim as any SF in the NBA, and his stats prove that and over Carmelo also. If you're trying to take that away from him with something you can't prove, then shame on you.

I think you took my 'lock the thread' statement the wrong way. I would never advocate any thread to be locked, no matter how controversial it is. I just found it quite funny that over the past few games, it's almost as if Anthony's made a point of winning you over. Let's face it; he's the reason we make the playoffs if this happens in the next 8 games. He's kept us in games, he's won us games, and he's made sure that even when our top defenders are doing an appalling job, he will take over and get us one more point than the other team. I completely disagree about Durant's ability to drive on opponents. He's not strong enough to take on opponents inside the post and that's why his comfort zone is in the mid-range/long-range part of the court (which he plays exceptionally). His defence is also far inferior to Anthony's (again due to him being a soft player) If people are willing to overlook Durant's defensive play in order to rank him top 5, then they need to do the same with Anthony. Maybe Anthony isn't top 5, but he's near enough there; something Glenn Robinson never was.

KingCharles34

All Star
I dont see whats so controversial about this thread or why it should be locked, Metro proved his points and acknowledged points that other posters made.

Several posters have exposed their ignorance in this thread, you cant just laugh off someones opinion when they bring this many facts. Its been proven many different ways that Melo is the new Glen Big Dog Robinson, hopefully for our sake he ages a little better but im disappointed with some of the posters here in this thread. Love blinds folks and i realize theres some big Melo fans here. Im a Melo fan myself but recognize his limitations and weaknesses if u want your opinion to be respected

fender0577

Rotation player
I dont see whats so controversial about this thread or why it should be locked, Metro proved his points and acknowledged points that other posters made.

Several posters have exposed their ignorance in this thread, you cant just laugh off someones opinion when they bring this many facts. Its been proven many different ways that Melo is the new Glen Big Dog Robinson, hopefully for our sake he ages a little better but im disappointed with some of the posters here in this thread. Love blinds folks and i realize theres some big Melo fans here. Im a Melo fan myself but recognize his limitations and weaknesses if u want your opinion to be respected
I wouldn't go that far, while "Big Dog" was a pretty good player in his own right, MELO is a much more prolific scorer, just check the stats.I think when most of us saw the title of the thread, it looked like he was knocking on Melo, while "big dog" had a good NBA career, he's almost looked at, as a bust, because at Purdue, he was so dominant, and in the NBA he didn't quite live up to the hype.I think the main reason this thread has spun out of control, is because, every time someone said something good about Melo, Metro would come back with a negative STAT, if Metro doesn't like the guy, for what ever reason,that's his opinion, but STATS don't lie, his positives, far outweigh his negatives.When people talk about his D, i just ask how many of the top 10 NBA players are elite, on both ends of the floor?Not many, maybe 3.Just my :2cents:

Last edited:

KingCharles34

All Star
I wouldn't go that far, while "Big Dog" was a pretty good player in his own right, MELO is a much more prolific scorer, just check the stats.I think when most of us saw the title of the thread, it looked like he was knocking on Melo, while "big dog" had a good NBA career, he's almost looked at, as a bust, because at Purdue, he was so dominant, and in the NBA he didn't quite live up to the hype.I think the main reason this thread has spun out of control, is because, every time someone said something good about Melo, Metro would come back with a negative STAT, if Metro doesn't like the guy, for what ever reason,that's his opinion, but STATS don't lie, his positives, far outweigh his negatives.When people talk about his D, i just ask how many of the top 10 NBA players are elite, on both ends of the floor?Not many, maybe 3.Just my :2cents:

Wade
Bron
Kobe
Durant
Rose
CP3

They're all great defenders

To say Melo's the new Glen Robinson, i dont believe they're exactly the same but they're very similar. Melo is a better scorer, rebounder. Both of them are very strong small forwards that can score, rebound...but are held back by poor shot selections and poor defense.

And one last thing, Im not sure if his positives far outweigh his negatives when u take his salary into consideration.

fender0577

Rotation player
Wade:agreed:
Bron-:agreed:
Kobe-Was, but not great anymore.
Durant-Disagree,not a great defender.
Rose-His team is, but he he averages, less than 1 steal a game for his career, that's not good, for a guard.
CP3-Very good, i wouldn't say great.

They're all great defenders

To say Melo's the new Glen Robinson, i dont believe they're exactly the same but they're very similar. Melo is a better scorer, rebounder. Both of them are very strong small forwards that can score, rebound...but are held back by poor shot selections and poor defense.

And one last thing, Im not sure if his positives far outweigh his negatives when u take his salary into consideration.
You named 6 players, i only see 2 great defenders, just my opinion.Actually, if you look at how much, Joe johnson, Rachard Lewis, Turks, ect make, i thinks it's a far value what he's getting paid, come on, he has the 3rd highest career PPG among active players, and is the most clutch player in the NBA, since 2001, and STATS back that up.

fender0577

Rotation player
  1. The year before Melo got drafted, and the 8 years he spent there.
2010-11 Denver 50 32 .610 2nd Northwest Division 1 4 .200 Lost West Conf 1st Rd
2009-10 Denver 53 29 .646 1st Northwest Division 2 4 .333 Lost West Conf 1st Rd
2008-09 Denver 54 28 .659 1st Northwest Division 10 6 .625 Lost West Conf Finals
2007-08 Denver 50 32 .610 2nd Northwest Division 0 4 .000 Lost West Conf 1st Rd
2006-07 Denver 45 37 .549 2nd Northwest Division 1 4 .200 Lost West Conf 1st Rd
2005-06 Denver 44 38 .537 1st Northwest Division 1 4 .200 Lost West Conf 1st Rd
2004-05 Denver 49 33 .598 2nd Northwest Division 1 4 .200 Lost West Conf 1st Rd
2003-04 Denver 43 39 .524 6th Midwest Division 1 4 .200 Lost West Conf 1st Rd
2002-03 Denver 17 65 .207 7th Midwest Division - - - DNQ
  • Glen robinson's years in Milwaukee.
2001-02 Milwaukee 41 41 .500 5th Central Division - - - DNQ
2000-01 Milwaukee 52 30 .634 1st Central Division 10 8 .556 Lost East Conf Finals
1999-00 Milwaukee 42 40 .512 4th Central Division 2 3 .400 Lost East Conf 1st Rd
1998-99 * Milwaukee 28 22 .560 4th Central Division 0 3 .000 Lost East Conf 1st Rd
1997-98 Milwaukee 36 46 .439 7th Central Division - - - DNQ
1996-97 Milwaukee 33 49 .402 7th Central Division - - - DNQ
1995-96 Milwaukee 25 57 .305 7th Central Division - - - DNQ
[
Glen rob, had 2 other all-stars also, no one has taken that in account, to compair him to Melo is crazy.Melo was making the playoffs every year in Denver, when the west was really strong.Better STATS, less help, more wins, it's not even close.

iSaYughh

Starter
You named 6 players, i only see 2 great defenders, just my opinion.Actually, if you look at how much, Joe johnson, Rachard Lewis, Turks, ect make, i thinks it's a far value what he's getting paid, come on, he has the 3rd highest career PPG among active players, and is the most clutch player in the NBA, since 2001, and STATS back that up.

I agree that Melo is def better than Glen (not that it isn't a pretty good comparison nonetheless...about as good as comparing Melo to Bernard, IMO).

But....those are some of the worst contracts in the NBA. They are reviled contracts.

Using them to boost up Melo is damning him with faint praise. A good contract (and a good franchise, a good GM) doesn't accept shit that isn't good -- and doesn't justify ****s ups (even the 'minor' ones) by pointing to teams who were even dumber. The Celdicks, eg, got a great contract and made a great move in inking Rondo how they did.

In this day of the NBA, you won't cut it as a franchise making OK moves or pretty good moves -- unless you lucksack your way into a Lebron, or Durant, or Rose.

Melo *is* a max player in the sense that....most teams would pay him max, and so if we are to not pay a Melo max, the player pool of elite players whom we will sign is *extremely* small, especially given how all the elite franchises have been locking up elite players or clearing room to sign their asses.

Still, Melo being worthy of a max deal or not, doesn't mean he is worth it to us. That's relative and unique to our situation.

It's in this sense that I believe Mr. King Starbury was saying Melo "isn't worth" the dime. Especially, taking into account us paying more than just bucks for him.

The final wrinkle is that Melo probably was/is our best bet. Given what happened with CP3, and the Deron situation (prolly going to Dallas), and Howard, etc.....If we didn't end up with Melo, we'd be so underpowered it's not even funny, and the prospects of reeling in a stud fish small.

And with STATisticals contract, we couldn't really afford to do a be a nice, hungry, rising playoff team, and bide our time to make the perfect progressions -- a la OKC's gradual but then sudden rise.

(I still think the Melo trade was bad, for lots of reasons, but the final outcome of that deal is a good 2-3yrs of anyone knowing) But, we have a chance, if The Rise of Shumpert continues....Lin gets back healthy and makes some steady improvements, STAT gets legit healthy, and Melo solidifies his ability to commit to a team and it's system we will have a puncher's chance at a title.

fender0577

Rotation player
I agree that Melo is def better than Glen (not that it isn't a pretty good comparison nonetheless...about as good as comparing Melo to Bernard, IMO).

But....those are some of the worst contracts in the NBA. They are reviled contracts.

Using them to boost up Melo is damning him with faint praise. A good contract (and a good franchise, a good GM) doesn't accept shit that isn't good -- and doesn't justify ****s ups (even the 'minor' ones) by pointing to teams who were even dumber. The Celdicks, eg, got a great contract and made a great move in inking Rondo how they did.

In this day of the NBA, you won't cut it as a franchise making OK moves or pretty good moves -- unless you lucksack your way into a Lebron, or Durant, or Rose.

Melo *is* a max player in the sense that....most teams would pay him max, and so if we are to not pay a Melo max, the player pool of elite players whom we will sign is *extremely* small, especially given how all the elite franchises have been locking up elite players or clearing room to sign their asses.

Still, Melo being worthy of a max deal or not, doesn't mean he is worth it to us. That's relative and unique to our situation.

It's in this sense that I believe Mr. King Starbury was saying Melo "isn't worth" the dime. Especially, taking into account us paying more than just bucks for him.

The final wrinkle is that Melo probably was/is our best bet. Given what happened with CP3, and the Deron situation (prolly going to Dallas), and Howard, etc.....If we didn't end up with Melo, we'd be so underpowered it's not even funny, and the prospects of reeling in a stud fish small.

And with STATisticals contract, we couldn't really afford to do a be a nice, hungry, rising playoff team, and bide our time to make the perfect progressions -- a la OKC's gradual but then sudden rise.

(I still think the Melo trade was bad, for lots of reasons, but the final outcome of that deal is a good 2-3yrs of anyone knowing) But, we have a chance, if The Rise of Shumpert continues....Lin gets back healthy and makes some steady improvements, STAT gets legit healthy, and Melo solidifies his ability to commit to a team and it's system we will have a puncher's chance at a title.
:agreed:Great points, all i was saying in the NBA, you pay what the market dictates, even in those cases, at the time that's what the market dictated.

GetRealistic

Starter
Very interesting Thread to read. Really enjoyed (most posts).. While i don't agree Melo is Glenn Robinson i can see the validity in the comparison.. Atleast the Melo of earlier this season.

Like Metro said Melo isn't a top 5 player but at his best he certainly is in the conversation for top 10 player. That being said he is probably one top 3 player you would want taking a last shot.

Good to see Melo stirring the part up still though.

CA7

Scoring Champ
since when was Kevin Durant an elite defender, I swear he has Sefolosha, Ibaka and Perkins........which make up for his weak defensive tendencies

KingCharles34

All Star
you and isayughh alreadly handled this

1. The year before Melo got drafted, and the 8 years he spent there.
2010-11 Denver 50 32 .610 2nd Northwest Division 1 4 .200 Lost West Conf 1st Rd
2009-10 Denver 53 29 .646 1st Northwest Division 2 4 .333 Lost West Conf 1st Rd
2008-09 Denver 54 28 .659 1st Northwest Division 10 6 .625 Lost West Conf Finals
2007-08 Denver 50 32 .610 2nd Northwest Division 0 4 .000 Lost West Conf 1st Rd
2006-07 Denver 45 37 .549 2nd Northwest Division 1 4 .200 Lost West Conf 1st Rd
2005-06 Denver 44 38 .537 1st Northwest Division 1 4 .200 Lost West Conf 1st Rd
2004-05 Denver 49 33 .598 2nd Northwest Division 1 4 .200 Lost West Conf 1st Rd
2003-04 Denver 43 39 .524 6th Midwest Division 1 4 .200 Lost West Conf 1st Rd
2002-03 Denver 17 65 .207 7th Midwest Division - - - DNQ
  • Glen robinson's years in Milwaukee.
2001-02 Milwaukee 41 41 .500 5th Central Division - - - DNQ
2000-01 Milwaukee 52 30 .634 1st Central Division 10 8 .556 Lost East Conf Finals
1999-00 Milwaukee 42 40 .512 4th Central Division 2 3 .400 Lost East Conf 1st Rd
1998-99 * Milwaukee 28 22 .560 4th Central Division 0 3 .000 Lost East Conf 1st Rd
1997-98 Milwaukee 36 46 .439 7th Central Division - - - DNQ
1996-97 Milwaukee 33 49 .402 7th Central Division - - - DNQ
1995-96 Milwaukee 25 57 .305 7th Central Division - - - DNQ
[
Glen rob, had 2 other all-stars also, no one has taken that in account, to compair him to Melo is crazy.Melo was making the playoffs every year in Denver, when the west was really strong.Better STATS, less help, more wins, it's not even close.

Denver had some good players around Melo. Andre Miller was a good point guard, then they had Iverson who was still relevant at that point. Then the Nuggets had Billups...and they also had other good players like Kmart, Birdman, Camby, JR Smith.

That doesnt say much that Carmelo only once was able to lead the Nuggets past the 1st round. The other 7 years Melo and the Nuggets made the playoffs, they were tossed in the 1st round.

Those Bucks teams had their 3 stars but they never had balance or a bench. They were disappointing just like the Nuggets. Glen Big Dog coulda done more just like Melo. Ill agree with those that say Melo's a better version of Big Dog, my beef is really with the posters that are coming in here offended by the thread title. Anyone who cant see the similarities probably wasnt watching the NBA when the Big Dog played. This year has the closest similarities between Melo and Big Dog but those similarities have always been there. And i do believe overall this year has been bad for Melo, hes not as bad as the stats say he is. He had several injuries, a bad coach, and several injured teammates. At onepoint i think it did become mental for Carmelo but hes focused again and he needs to keep it up for this team to earn respect. All we really gotta do is win a playoff game or two, at this point with all the injuries i believe thats what our expectations are and should be.