Knicks failing to obtain Mayo on Draft Nite 08 will set the franchise back a decade.

metrocard

Legend
mayo-vs-03-tz-425.jpg

Mayo is the best rookie from this draft class.
Followed by Rose
followed by Lopez
followed by Augustin
Followed by Randolph
Followed by Beasley
Followed by Westbrook
Followed by Gallinari
Followed by Gordon
and finally followed by Love

I remember there was a potential trend that would send Lee to Memphis + the Knicks 1st for Memphis 1st....I understand Memphis got Love @ 5...but Minnesota wanted LOVE badly....so we could of swapped Love for Mayo and get a sweet deal...also send Crawford as a filler since to replace Mayo @ SG.

Mike Miller, Brian Cardinal, and Jason Collins.

Yo....we could of offered way better than that...eh.

Knicks could of been

Duhon
Mayo
Chandler
????
????

Who cares.

Mayo is a guy you could build around.

Very Kobe-esqe.

87 FT shooter

One of the best jumpshots in the NBA.

38% 3pt shooter on his first year.

Averages more assist than TO'S

almost 19 ppg under 3 TO's per game.

Excellent defender.
Excellent PG skills at the SG position.
Excellent athlete who doen't rely on his athelism, more on his agility(which is why he would have a career like Kobe and won't break down like Carter or Wade last year)

Damn...we always settle for medicore shit...its so lame.

There won't be a player of Mayo's caliber for a while...Mayo > Griffin, Rubio, Jennings, etc...

Mayo will be a top 3 player...guranteed.

JayJ44

Starter
I agree. I really wanted us to get Mayo. If I remember right, I think Lee ruined that trade. His agent told Memphis that he wouldn't resign with them, thus killing the deal. :fury:

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Mayo

I recall the proposed trade of Lee to Memphis as straight up for the fifth pick. We would have kept the 6th pick. I do not believe that we proposed to give up Lee solely to move up one spot. At the time, everyone knew that Rose, Beasley and Mayo would comprise the top three and that they were well ahead of the rest of the pack.

alphad0gz

Rookie
Gallinari will be better.

Mayo is older and has a mature body. Gallo shoots better (much), plays very good defense (especially the all important help defense), is at least as good a passer and offers more versatility. Three years down the road you will see. The kid is just 19. If it turns out that he is the best player in the draft, I won't be surprised.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
I recall the proposed trade of Lee to Memphis as straight up for the fifth pick. We would have kept the 6th pick. I do not believe that we proposed to give up Lee solely to move up one spot. At the time, everyone knew that Rose, Beasley and Mayo would comprise the top three and that they were well ahead of the rest of the pack.

If we nagged OJ MAYO

and kept the 6th pick and drafted B. Lopez

we would be making the playoffs this season.

We'd have a shotblocking center and a SG who no doubt will be Kobe-esque in the clutch, thus getting rid of our main problems

metrocard

Legend
If we nagged OJ MAYO

and kept the 6th pick and drafted B. Lopez

we would be making the playoffs this season.

We'd have a shotblocking center and a SG who no doubt will be Kobe-esque in the clutch, thus getting rid of our main problems

OMG

Robinson
Mayo
Chandler
Jefferies
Lopez

FTW

JayJ44

Starter
We could still acquire him sometime down the road. I don't think he wants to stay in Memphis too long, who would?

TunerAddict

Starter
We could still acquire him sometime down the road. I don't think he wants to stay in Memphis too long, who would?

Good thinking. We could very easily deal Lee or Nate for him or Rudy Gay. Or maybe even lil' Gasol.

I'm not talking straight up, but in package deals.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
Defense....I want Mayo/Lopez taking most of my shots.

Exactly. People on this site need to stop looking at a stupid 2010 plan. Not drafting Lopez and not attempting to trade for Mayo was a stupid move that will haunt the Knicks for years to come.

TunerAddict

Starter
Exactly. People on this site need to stop looking at a stupid 2010 plan. Not drafting Lopez and not attempting to trade for Mayo was a stupid move that will haunt the Knicks for years to come.

Just like trading for Marbury.

For once we are on the same page.

JayJ44

Starter

We did attempt a trade for Mayo. Lee and his agent ruined it. He was really our only trading chip at the time of the draft.

LeFlume

All Star
"Exactly. People on this site need to stop looking at a stupid 2010 plan"

That's what the reality is abcd. The 2010 plan, Management have indicate all along that we will dump salary for a big FA in 2010. Should we stop looking at reality and start if if if just like you?

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
We did attempt a trade for Mayo. Lee and his agent ruined it. He was really our only trading chip at the time of the draft.

i remember that, i made a thread right after sayin we should trade Lee for doing that. If he didnt open his mouth we might have Mayo. Its hard to find shooting guards like him..:mad:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Oh no shit!

I had no idea about that. I've been neutral on the Gallo trade but now it's hurting.

That sucks massively.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player

I agree Jay,who would want to stay in Memphis?Even thow I would like to have Mayo,on my team I still can not blame Lee for not wanting to go there b/c who wants to play there.Im a West Virginian just like Mayo,I know for a fact that he always wants to play for the big market teams;).That why he went out to Cali to play for USC and you can count on it that he will for sure be playing for A big market team like the Knicks or Lakers.Hopefully Knicks!!:beer:

Akamu

The King
i remember that, i made a thread right after sayin we should trade Lee for doing that. If he didnt open his mouth we might have Mayo. Its hard to find shooting guards like him..:mad:

Pshh yeah, that's when I started to dislike David Lee for his selfishness. He's not even that good to even be saying shyt like that. His free throws are ugly, his mid-range game is shot, and his defense makes you cry. At least Eddy Curry knows he's trash and is willing to accept a buyout to better the team.

Mayo would have been great, like I said before I will be shocked if he isn't rookie of the year. Love for Mayo....that was halarious, I think I shyt myself when I realized it wasn't a nightmare.

You know what, I think I died that day when we....no wait when "they" drafted Gallo instead of the other draftees that were left over that could have addressed one of our most vacant spots at the center & pg position.

Instead of realizing how critical this decision was they jus said "fucc our needs let's just grab the cock" Surprise Knick fans!! another forward chosen by Mike D. because he had relations with Gallo's dad & Isaiah Thomas as a last FUCC YOU NY!

They knew he was coming here long before the draft, I don't think they really even considered others, you remember those ghey ass rooster sneakers they solicited the crowd with right when he was picked? :shock2:

Toons

is the Bo$$
we are almost ready for thde 09 draft...the 08 draft is over, get over it, we didnt draft lopez, didnt trade up for mayo, so get the fukk over it.....bitches

KBlack25

Starter
I understand the statistical analysis, and how well statistically OJ Mayo has played. I went to a Memphis-Knicks game, Mayo did not impress at all, but I still realize he is good statistically. The one problem I had with Mayo, and perhaps he's cured it, is that he seems to be a bit of a headcase. He's a bit full of himself, he's not a very mature kid and I'm not sure his behavior would have improved in NY. On the court he's a great player, but off the court coaches and teammates have not been too impressed with his attitude. This is, of course, something that can be fixed, but it still has to be fixed. Someone has to take affirmative action to make this kid a good teammate and person.

Maybe it's silly to want a character guy, or guys with good personalities, but having played with and seen first hand how bad attitudes can bring a team down, I just would prefer a good character guy.