Why does Landry Fields play so many minutes?

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
I agree with resigning Fields... he's a great, young all around player and he just needs to work on his jump shot.. once he gets that he's gonna be very valuable to our team, even coming off the bench.

Kiyaman

Legend
How can so many K.O. fans forget the Knicks best 3-Guard lineup that WON 7 straight
games with their oustanding gellin "DEFENSE" in the 4th quarter....
Lin-Sanity, Shump, Fields, Jefferies, and Tyson Chandler :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Defense wins game! offense make u go wow!
this thread show more wow-fans than win-fans....is dat a good sign???

metrocard

Legend
How can so many K.O. fans forget the Knicks best 3-Guard lineup that WON 7 straight
games with their oustanding gellin "DEFENSE" in the 4th quarter....
Lin-Sanity, Shump, Fields, Jefferies, and Tyson Chandler :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Defense wins game! offense make u go wow!
this thread show more wow-fans than win-fans....is dat a good sign???

Lin/Shump/Anthony/Jefferies/Chandler > Lin/Shump/Fields/Jefferies/Chandler

zshopa

Benchwarmer
Im sorry, anyone who said they want bill walker to get more mins than Fields is smoking way too much crack with Bill on that bench. Walker comes in makes 2 fouls whines and complains turns the ball over and looks out of shape all season. Fields has his moments and i do agree his shot is pure Garbage. i dont know what he did to work on it but he ruined it really bad, if he fixes that he should be a good player in this league. hes a good defender can play 2 and 3 and guard both well. hes a good rebounder and passer.

Just cuz JR smith mad 1 big shot makes him better>? the guy is a chucker and a ball hog. his shot selection is HORRIBLE and his attitude is even worse! the day he becomes a mature adult is the day he will be a good player in the mean time hes a scrub who thinks hes melo.

MadJack

Benchwarmer
We would be a fool not to resign Landry Fields....Fields all-around performance
doesnt come up on stats, what do come up on stats....5 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl, 1 to, 7 fga per
game at 48% as a second season player.

as decent as Shump performance been lookin I still wouldnt start Shump next season.

shooter off the bench = JR Smith NBA career.

the original 2nd-unit started out as a 3-guard small-lineup of players....
Davis, Shump, JR, Novak, Jefferies.

Why wouldn't you start Shumpert? Fields has been starting since day 1, and he is far less skilled than Shumpert, not even taking defense into account.

fender0577

Rotation player
Who are we going to give his minutes to?Bill Walker, no thanks, remember people, it's only his second year in the NBA, we can still develope him, into a very good SG/SF.Last year he lead all guards in rebounding, as a rookie, he has all the intangibles, he hustles, rebs, back cuts.He just needs to work on a few things, like FT's, and a consistent jumper and he'll be good.Remember, he was the 39TH pick, how many of use though, he'd be this good, not many, if any.

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer
Why wouldn't you start Shumpert? Fields has been starting since day 1, and he is far less skilled than Shumpert, not even taking defense into account.

I am just guessing Kiyaman felt Shump was the intricate part of Mobb Deep. We used to go up 5-10 points when starters taking a breather in between quarters. Mobb Deep was so affective against most of the teams, opposition coachers would bring back their starters wihout the benefit of a full rest. If you count the point differential, that amounted to 10-20 points in a game. Yeah we were so dangerous with our bench; we ran opposition's bench straight up their poop chute!

We all used to get excited when our bench subbed in. After Lin's injury, Knicks bench is pathetically Sadd Deep. No decent PG to run the floor and no real defense without Shump. The table had turned. Nowadays I pray they dont lose too many point when starters are out.

Shump is good but not great offensively. Against opposition starters defense, many of his drives ended up in shots blocked or stripped. He just can't finish in the paint. It's a jungle out there for a rookie as a starter! If he keeps getting frustrated out there, it doesnt do any good for his confidence.

When Lin and Stat are healthy, lets take our time developing Shump talents by bring him off the bench!

lookgrabpull

Benchwarmer
How about we use whatever's best depending on the team that plays us? If we're playing a team that has a star SG (Chi, LAL, etc) then we put shump in to start with strong D - taking their main scorer off rhythm. All other teams we start fields.

I would do it with other changes in the starting lineup, but that could be revolutionary enough for now.

If we don't get married to our starting 5, we can have the freedom to mix it up, and the players get the idea that this is a TEAM.

shizzee

Benchwarmer
In order surprise the world by beating either Miami or Chicago. This should be starting lineup in playoffs with minutes and rotation against Miami or Chicago

Smith-32 Shumpert-32 Melo-36 Jeffries-28 Chandler-36
BD-16 Fields-16 Walker-12 Novak-12 Amare-20

Amare or BD will be more effective with less minutes off the bench. I don't trust Douglas or Bibby with minutes. Jeffries will starting to match the size defense and rebounding of of these 2 elite teams. If Jeffries can size up defensively on the board against Bosh and Noah. While Smith and Shumpert running the offense match up defensively against either Wade or Rose, Jeffries could also help bring the ball up as well as Melo. Melo will need win the Lebron or Deng battle. I also believe Walker will be part of the rotation as he will see more minutes over the next 8 games. The only way Knicks can really compete is to battle defensively win ugly and have their superstars make more game winning shots.

Paul1355

All Star
Can anyone remind me why?

29 minutes
9 ppg
25% 3pt Shooter
57% FT shooter
4 rebounds
2.5 assist
1.7 turnovers

I'm quite lost.

The guy is a good slasher, everything else he's been horrible this season.

Just would rather see Shump and Smith get all the minutes at SG and let Fields back at SF behind Anthony and NOVAK.

Am I alone on this?

corymakeitstop.gif

This is me when I see Landry Field brick a jumpshot.

I completely agree...Fields has to lose his starting job when Amare comes back. I wish he lost it right now.

I believe the only reason he is starting is because Bill Walker is out of the rotation, yet he would provide more of an impact because he is a good rebounder and can actually hit a 3 point shot.

The other reason is because Amare is out and we need rebounding which is one of the few things Fields is good at.

The biggest reason is because Mike Woodson wants some scoring punch off the bench in JR Smith and coming off the bench allows Jr to be the focal point on offense for the 2nd unit. Jr cant throw up as many shots if most of his minutes are with Melo and the soon returning Amare.

Seeing FIelds shoot an outside shot makes me shake my head because if he makes it, we are VERY lucky. I would rather have Tyson CHandler shooting the ball than FIelds because from FT range Tyson is better.

How is it possible that a SG is terrible at shooting 3's and free throws? He is not a shooter!

Fields is a small forward that should play backup to Melo whenever Melo gets too tired.

Fields should play a range of 8-15 minutes a game as a role player.

Bring in Fields when you have offensive players with him.

When Amare returns we should start:

Davis
Shumpert
Melo
Amare
Chandler

bench:

Shumpert/Douglas
Smith
Fields
Novak
Jeffries/Harrellson

knickscity

Benchwarmer
I completely agree...Fields has to lose his starting job when Amare comes back. I wish he lost it right now.

I believe the only reason he is starting is because Bill Walker is out of the rotation, yet he would provide more of an impact because he is a good rebounder and can actually hit a 3 point shot.

The other reason is because Amare is out and we need rebounding which is one of the few things Fields is good at.
Walker would not have a bigger impact on the game than Fields, well actually he probably would in a negative way.

Walker is just pure garbage, and should have been cut for a pg down the stretch.

Fields issue is his jumper, that's basically it.

Fields doesn't bother me missing free throws, because he is still aggressive and drawing fouls HELPS THE TEAM.

His 2 point Fields goal % is in the top 3 from the guard position, as is his rebounding is top 5, and just outside of top 5 in steals.

I just find it so amazing that people dump on Fields when the team doesn't even have a legit shooting guard on it.

Kiyaman

Legend
I am just guessing Kiyaman felt Shump was the intricate part of Mobb Deep. We used to go up 5-10 points when starters taking a breather in between quarters. Mobb Deep was so affective against most of the teams, opposition coachers would bring back their starters wihout the benefit of a full rest. If you count the point differential, that amounted to 10-20 points in a game. Yeah we were so dangerous with our bench; we ran opposition's bench straight up their poop chute!

We all used to get excited when our bench subbed in. After Lin's injury, Knicks bench is pathetically Sadd Deep. No decent PG to run the floor and no real defense without Shump. The table had turned. Nowadays I pray they dont lose too many point when starters are out.

Shump is good but not great offensively. Against opposition starters defense, many of his drives ended up in shots blocked or stripped. He just can't finish in the paint. It's a jungle out there for a rookie as a starter! If he keeps getting frustrated out there, it doesnt do any good for his confidence.

When Lin and Stat are healthy, lets take our time developing Shump talents by bring him off the bench!

Great answer :agreed: bringing 3 to 4 fresh legs players off the bench is great,
when one of those players have rookie Shump energy it becomes DYNAMIC.
I recall myself wondering why OKC were bringing Hardin great talent off the bench
his first two seasons in the NBA....that wonderin stopped in last season playoffs.

Kiyaman

Legend

I wouldnt say Fields has less talent than Shump, both players have their own different high skills when used and coached to their talent....decision-making & complimenting teammates talents goes to Fields. Speed & energy goes to Shump....its easy to chose which talent belong in the starting lineup.

Last season I complained about rookie Landry Fields being given such a heavy load to carry before each game as a starter going-up against NBA starters....it isnt fair to any rookie, especially a 2nd round draft pick rookie. Bum Donnie Walsh was suppose to accept starter SG-Monta Ellis in the trade for David Lee....trading 6th man energy Nate Robinson for Walker who cant beat out any rookie for playingtime in his 5 year career with Boston & N.Y..

Paul....Landry Fields were our second highest rebounder last season, and is our 4th highest rebounder this season....when we have a decent roster of 7 bigmen to use from Chandler, Stat, Melo, Jorts, Jeff, Novak, Jordan....whats wrong with the picture???

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Fields does a lot of good things. The one thing he doesn't do well at all - and this is an understatement - is shoot the ball. That includes his absolutely horrific free throw shooting, and you have to wonder if the guy needs a complete overhaul of his technique. His handle is sub par for a 2 guard, and though he manages to cloak it reasonably well, he is only really capable of being a threat with the ball in his hands (excluding, of course, as a passer) when attacking the rim directly.

On the plus side, he's become a dependable and versatile P&R passer, and he has always been adept at moving off the ball. He has his traits and plays them well, but until he can shoot with a shred of consistency, he deserves his detractors.

Defensively, he's apt. He has a tendency to lose concentration however, and a mistake on his behalf is usually a complete blunder, and we've all seen how Woodson reacts to that: fittingly.

Very interested to see how effective he'll be with Lin back - those 2 play extremely well together.

All in all, as big a fan as I am, Shump should be starting once STAT gets back, IMO. His shot and defense are better, and the offense will run sweeter for a rejuvenated Melo if we can space offensively, and let our defense setup a transition game.

For his salary, Fields is a big plus for this team. Until he finds that shot, however, I understand the frustration and negativity that gets thrown at him. It really is that bad.

TheScowl

Rookie
I agree Shump needs to start and play major minutes, not least for his defense. But his shooting has been much improved - since entering the starting lineup here are his numbers:

G 9
Min 38
Ppg 14.5
FG pct 45%
3FG pct 43%
FT 78%
Reb 4
Ast 2.8
Steals 2

NYCLakerfan

Rotation player
If Lin was still healthy I'd rather start Shump, but since there's no reliable PG I'd rather Shump run the 2nd unit over Bibby or TD so I'd stick with Fields starting.

21 Shump Street

Benchwarmer
I hope we resign Fields and I think the FO will, he will be a decent player for the contract he will receive and is still a decent contributor. Especially if JR bails at the end of the season.

He would be a perfect backup SF but someone needs to have a sit down with the kid and tell him to harden up.

skisloper

Starter
I hope we resign Fields and I think the FO will, he will be a decent player for the contract he will receive and is still a decent contributor. Especially if JR bails at the end of the season.

He would be a perfect backup SF but someone needs to have a sit down with the kid and tell him to harden up.

He would only be perfect if he develops an outside shot ...he needs to go back to the drawing board...a job for Larry Johnson and Allan Houston...

yesterdays game Lebron when guarding fields left him open on the outside....no threat at all...