We Have To Trade David Lee.

I'm not gonna lie;
I've been flip flopping on this for some time,but god,his defense is awful.
i really didn't think it was as awful as some people have said, but, it is.
i don't understand how he doesn't use the same intensity on the defensive end as he does on rebounds.
i think the ability is there, but he just doesn't do it.
we need to sucker one of those top 5 lottery teams who can pay him, into trading for him with our first pick this year, for their first pick this year and some bum.maybe the clippers are dumb enough to make that trade.

Supermansdaddy

Benchwarmer
The CLips dont need him.
You're right, his defense is bad. But he is our only inside presence. He is young and is an automatic double double. That is very rare these days. He also hustles and has a good attitude. Maybe he can learn to play average D one day, but in my opinion you cant trade him. You need capable players on your team when 2010 come around. He would be a great piece to have play the post with Bron or Wade or Joe Johnson. If we got a real defensive center, like a Thabeet (prob wont happen), David's defeciencies on D would be masked by that center. Bottom line, i think you're shooting yourself if you trade David Lee.

smokes

Huge Member
It's not just his defense, but yeah you're right if he was paired with a quality D playing true C it wouldn't matter so much.

The points that are floating round here for weeks now are:

* If we aim for 2010, we have to shift Curry/Jefferies contracts to open up cap space.

* Lee's contract expires this year and we are looking at 8-10 million to resign.

* If we resign Lee and don't shift Curry/Jefferies we are cutting it fine on 2010, we won't resign Nate and we won't make much in the way of improvements to make a superstar want to play here.

* No one wants Curry or Jefferies, to get rid of their contracts we have to package them with something valuable. Our most valuable asset is Lee.

* If we don't trade Lee before the season is over, we risk someone offering him big money to sign with them. Then our choices are to let him go and get nothing in return except more cap space, or to resign him for more than we really want to pay.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
For the right guy, I would trade him. In 2007, we could have gotten Gasol: shot blocker, great help d, scorer, post player, probably the best passing big, but the Knicks, like every other team, didn't want to offer anything: Isiah supposedly offered Malik Rose and Q for a guy that led the Griz to their only playoff appearances, ever. Imagine a Knick team with Gasol in the middle, Marbury and Craw in the backcourt and Z up front with Gasol, that would be a true contender.

If we could get Brook Lopez, similarly skilled, I'd give up Nate and Lee. A real center, whom we could build around, would really make a difference and be worth it. He can block, post up and rebound. In last night's nets loss, he had 19 ppg, 12 rebounds and 1 block. I doubt the Nets would give this guy up, though. If you're watching the Nets play, you've seen how much they go this guy, on both ends.

I know everyone loves Gallo, and he might turn out to be good (personally, I doubt it), but we really needed a center. It's very disappointing that, instead of Lopez, they get this kid who, arrogantly, demands to be drafted to a place of his choice. The asshole shouldn't have even put his name in the draft, since that was his attitude.

I just want to know when we're going to get a real big man, which seems like a prerequisite to success, in the NBA. Phoenix has two, the Spurs have one, the Cavs have one, Boston does, etc., etc.

Kiyaman

Legend
How about trade Herb Williams for a "Defensive Coordinator Coach"....what was the BIG COMPLAINT about coach Dantoni his last two seasons in Phoenix....what was Doc Rivers biggest complaint coaching the Orlando Magic and his first two season with Boston....they needed a "DEFENSIVE-COACH" in their staff.

richtree

Rotation player
I have thought about this and I agree its time to trade david Lee ....he is a replaceable player.....

When I think of the Knicks in 2010 -- I don't mind having Al Harrington on the team but I think if we are going to win we need a legit big man and Lee is nothing more than the 3rd big man on a good team -- he is to a good team the way Ronnie Turiaf was to the Lakers last year,,,,,

bottom line if we get something decent back for Lee or Lee is needed in a package deal .DO IT ......!!!!!!

we could always get another player like Lee or if it isn't a sign and trade we could try to sign him again at seasons end

lets go Knicks -

Supermansdaddy

Benchwarmer
I have thought about this and I agree its time to trade david Lee ....he is a replaceable player.....

When I think of the Knicks in 2010 -- I don't mind having Al Harrington on the team but I think if we are going to win we need a legit big man and Lee is nothing more than the 3rd big man on a good team -- he is to a good team the way Ronnie Turiaf was to the Lakers last year,,,,,

bottom line if we get something decent back for Lee or Lee is needed in a package deal .DO IT ......!!!!!!

we could always get another player like Lee or if it isn't a sign and trade we could try to sign him again at seasons end

lets go Knicks -

3rd big man on a good team? Ronnie Turiaf?
Wow i think you're underating David here. I dont think he will ever be a 22 and 12 type of guy, but an 18 and 12 guy maybe even 20 and 12 for sure. He is a very good player, and importantly, a very efficient player, which is essential if you have a stud on your team like Bron or Wade who take 25 shots a game. You need a guy who is very productive with limited opportunities.
You want to trade someone trade Al, he can score, but he is inconsistent. I'd keep him till his contract expires, but if we have to move him in order to move Curry or Jefferies' contract, i wouldnt mind. But David is a keeper.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Dlee is our best player and needs to stay a Knick. We need a true center...Dlee can't be expected to guard KG or Oden.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
IMO Dlee will be a top 7 PF in this league for years to come. He is a double /double machine and will be the perfect compliment to a defensive center and allstar scorer like LBJ or Wade.

Scribbles

Rotation player
He's a double double machine on a team with NO interior whatsoever.

On a contender, he'll be putting up 12-6 off the bench.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter

Not to sound snarky...but how could you possibly know this? Why can't it be that he is just that good?

Scribbles

Rotation player
How do I know this?

Look at who plays inside for the Knicks...

D. LEE and Jared Jeffries

He would not be getting those numbers if he was alongside Pau, or KG, or Dwight, etc.

He's an Anderson Varejao next to a good center.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
How do I know this?

Look at who plays inside for the Knicks...

D. LEE and Jared Jeffries

He would not be getting those numbers if he was alongside Pau, or KG, or Dwight, etc.

He's an Anderson Varejao next to a good center.

Again it is impossible to know. Maybe him with a good center means that many more rebounds for the Knicks.

Starks

Starter
How about trade Herb Williams for a "Defensive Coordinator Coach"....what was the BIG COMPLAINT about coach Dantoni his last two seasons in Phoenix....what was Doc Rivers biggest complaint coaching the Orlando Magic and his first two season with Boston....they needed a "DEFENSIVE-COACH" in their staff.

We can't do that. Who will be the designated "Clip Board Holder" guy?

Herb's got the best gig in the world

it's not that i don't like the guy, but how is he that bad?
it was the instances in which he was not guarding oden or garnett
that i saw how horrible he was.
he didn't even put up a fight.hit those mfers at least man!
shit.

TunerAddict

Starter

12 and 6 off the bench is pretty damn good number for a backup PF...

Why don't other teams in the league without an interior game have some1 with DLee's numbers?

If we're gonna ditch Lee, we better get rid of the garbage players like Nate Robinson, and Q, or the contracts like Curry or Jeffries first/with him.

Red

TYPE-A

Sorry I keep quoting u Kiyaman but... a imo a better defensive asst wouldn't isn't gonna improve these guys' instincts and def. athleticism. Just maybe improve the system, rotations and such.

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
in my opinion lee is soft. defence is about how much pride you have to not let the guy your guarding get round you to the basket. You cant teach it.

p0nder

Starter
DLee is a good solid player for the Knicks at a time when we don't have many. A larger presence on the boards for one of, if not, THE smallest team in the league is a valuable asset to us at this point in the season. Even if it means a first round sweep I would like the knicks to make the playoffs this year. I don't see that happening without DLee, who is one of the best players on the team right now.

We could just hold on to him and then move him in the offseason in a sign and trade move (like the crawford trade). The biggest thing for the knicks right now is positioning to get a contending starting 5 in 2010. I think a move to get LBJ and bosh would be the best move for the Knicks and anything aside from that should be a secondary prioity. Anything that jepordises that should be eliminated if possible.

I like D.Lee as much as the next Knicks fan, but I like winning a lot more.

Also, D.Lee is quoted after the celtics game assaying "This is the be 0 and 3 week of my career"... Thats not really the attitude the young guy should have and i think it's reflective of Knicks Basketball right now. I wouldn't mind a shake up if it meant that we would have a hunger for WINS.

Papajoe

Benchwarmer
Lee's hunger

DLee is a good solid player for the Knicks at a time when we don't have many. A larger presence on the boards for one of, if not, THE smallest team in the league is a valuable asset to us at this point in the season. Even if it means a first round sweep I would like the knicks to make the playoffs this year. I don't see that happening without DLee, who is one of the best players on the team right now.

We could just hold on to him and then move him in the offseason in a sign and trade move (like the crawford trade). The biggest thing for the knicks right now is positioning to get a contending starting 5 in 2010. I think a move to get LBJ and bosh would be the best move for the Knicks and anything aside from that should be a secondary prioity. Anything that jepordises that should be eliminated if possible.

I like D.Lee as much as the next Knicks fan, but I like winning a lot more.

Also, D.Lee is quoted after the celtics game assaying "This is the be 0 and 3 week of my career"... Thats not really the attitude the young guy should have and i think it's reflective of Knicks Basketball right now. I wouldn't mind a shake up if it meant that we would have a hunger for WINS.

I think you are interpreting Dlee's "This is the best 0 and 3 week of my career" comment incorrectly. I watched intently and enjoyed all 3 games of "dream week" and was at the Cav game. No one played harder than Dlee at both ends of the floor and no one wants to win more than him. Certainly his point was that they battled hard and had a chance to win all 3 of the games. It was real basketball not the crap they were showing the last 5 seasons. You cannot go from laughing stock to championship in 1 season. Right now they play good, entertaining basketball and I'm happy for that as is the Knick team.

As for what to do with Dlee next season, I think we should leave that up to Donnie. I like Lee but if we need to trade him to progress so be it. At least his talent has been maximized and we could actually get some quality back in a trade.