OFFICIAL: ANTI-D'Antoni Thread

Red

TYPE-A
But all that is circumstance. Let?s get down to what this is about. Defense, and the lack thereof. I?m not trying to abdicate the value of defense. The Knicks can not be, under any reasonable set of expectations or circumstances, an elite team, and almost all of that has to do with their lack of defense. From personnel, to system, to approach, their team is built to sufficiently ignore defense. The only reason they even acknowledge its existence is to get the ball back. Bear in mind I?m a believer that the D?Antoni Defensive Sieve is a myth. His Suns teams were far from stalwarts but nor were they the Raptors of last season. They were fine. Just not fine enough, especially not for the grotesque, misshapen, UFC-style ball that makes up the NBA playoffs. But even I can recognize that this cohesive roster is going to be abhorrent on defense.
http://www.hardwoodparoxysm.com/tag/mike-dantoni/

Last year... sound familiar?
Mike D'Antoni's excuse-making days are over By Kelly Dwyer This has to be Mike D'Antoni's low point. This has to be as bad as it gets. Has to be. Otherwise, he's got some ?splainin' to do. He's tried before, mind you. With the"?splainin'." D'Anton has never been shy about going on record regarding why, exactly, he's not playing this guy, won't play this guy or any potential combination of the myriad things the Knicks coach can or did do to his various guys. He's been vague, he's been wrong, he's been petty, he's been right, he's been churlish and he's been charming in his explanations. But this has to be the end of it. A month left in the season, the Knicks falling short of the playoffs, the last year of the Great Do-Over, and with Jordan Hill(notes) now having passed through town - this has to be it. OK, April 6 might have to be the end of it. That's the day Nate Robinson(notes) and the Celtics pass through New York. But that has to be the end of it. It has to be D'Antoni's low point. The last chance anyone has to question him. We're allowed to question him today because D'Antoni pulled off that right/wrong/jerk-ish/petty thing yesterday...

Here's my favorite part...

Because people are doubting you. They're doubting the way you coach, they're doubting the way you handle players of any type (to say nothing of the good or bad versions of those types), and with Steve Nash(notes) out pushing a team full of 90-year-olds and Robin Lopez(notes) on a 52-win pace in a West that's harder than ever, they're wondering what it is, exactly, that you do.

ow... ow.... I know.... Mike D'Antoni inflates stats!

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog...-s-excuse-making-days-are-over?urn=nba-229475

The three-pointer isn't always the best shot. Yes, the D'Antoni offense welcomes the open three, but some nights (like Thursday), those aren't going to fall. Still, quarter after quarter, the likes of Felton, Wilson Chandler and Gallinari kept firing as if points would be awarded at a volume discount. Logic says a target is easier to hit the closer you get to it, so why not try? Mid-range shots were available; the Heat were practically begging the Knicks to take them. Yet they seldom did. Though it worked out in the end as Gallinari and Fields caught fire in the fourth, far too many nights have seen the Knicks fall when their threes don't. With a team as close to being consistently good as New York is, why not take what a defense gives you? Maybe a shooter or two finds a rhythm and you won't need to stage a 29-15, fourth-quarter rally to squeeze past a Heat team minus one of its top players.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/paul_forrester/01/28/heat.knicks/index.html

Who knows? Maybe D'Antoni found a new way to make a wheel. I bet his supporters don't know either. But hey, this game is still young.

Here's another good article on who's to blame...

Suspect #1: Coach Mike D?Anton D?Antoni has always been an ?offense-first? type of coach. The Knicks are averaging 101.6 PPG, 11th best in the league. D?Antoni?s?fast-break? style of offense has made the team seemingly one- dimensional. The Knicks are shooting only 34% from behind the arc (7th worst in the league) and grabbing only 23% of offensive rebounds(4th worst in the league). Defensively, the Knicks have been abysmal. They are giving up 104.5 PPG, (5th worst in the league). They are only rebounding 47% of missed shots(league average is around 50%) and have been allowing opponents to shoot 47.7% from the field, (5th worst in the league). There?s no excuse for the way that the Knicks have been playing. It?s the coach?s job to motivate the players and have them play better defense. D?Antoni does not have direct control over team acquisitions, but Donnie Walsh has given D?Antoni some respectable parts(McGrady) to use in this transition year. D?Anton has been almost indifferent to change his lack-luster defensive approach. This team should not be allowing 104.5 PPG. D?Anton has failed the Knicks and the fans of New York this season.

http://newyorkstateofsports.com/2010/03/27/the-2009-2010-knicks-whos-to-blame/#more-1243

This is from last year, but notice we are actually givng up more points now than then. Smh.

The verdict...

Who?s To Blame: Mike D?Antoni The uninspiring play this season is solely Mike D?Antoni?s fault. The Knicks have some good players, but he has not been able to get this team to play as a unit. Even in this transition year, Donnie Walsh has given D?Antoni some respectable players. D?Anton must add a new defensive outlook or his tenure in the Big Apple will come to an end.

Players or coach?
Players or system?
Ever hear of "unintended consequences"?

This thread was created to funnel the D'Antoni -vs- the Anti-D'Antoni debates. Please stop expressing opinions about coach in other threads created for other discussions.

Thanks.

P.S. "Spin Doctors" need not apply.

One.

KBlack25

Starter
congratulations.gif

You have made the 5 millionth Anti-D'Antoni thread in the last 2 months!

KBlack25

Starter
No trouble professing your support an any other thread, now here's one for you to respond to with "other" I guess more valid opinions and you came up with that?

You can do better black. Would you like me to not respect your opinions?

I'd like to stop seeing repetitive threads with the same arguments over and over again...

You don't see myself or others making "Official Pro-MDA" Threads, "Elect MDA to the Hall" Threads, "Retire a Number in MDA's Honor" Thread or us saying "MDA makes Red Holzman Look Like Isiah" (see: my sig)...

It just gets tired after a while...you won't convince me you are looking at things totally objectively, just like I won't convince you that I am...threads like this just perpetuate the same discussion with two diametric opposite viewpoints that happens 9 trillion times daily on this website.

Red

TYPE-A
I'd like to stop seeing repetitive threads with the same arguments over and over again...

You don't see myself or others making "Official Pro-MDA" Threads, "Elect MDA to the Hall" Threads, "Retire a Number in MDA's Honor" Thread or us saying "MDA makes Red Holzman Look Like Isiah" (see: my sig)...

It just gets tired after a while...you won't convince me you are looking at things totally objectively, just like I won't convince you that I am...threads like this just perpetuate the same discussion with two diametric opposite viewpoints that happens 9 trillion times daily on this website.

Did you read the articles? What did you think?

Btw... nothing is stopping you from making a pro-mda thread. (Yo I really lol when I thought about that) go ahead.

KBlack25

Starter
Did you read the articles? What did you think?

Btw... nothing is stopping you from making a pro-mda thread. (Yo I really lol when I thought about that) go ahead.

I won't do it b/c I am not blindly pro-MDA (as I feel many are blindly anti-MDA - see: Clyde & The Pearl).

The articles are mostly people's opinions, just b/c they write for a blog does not make it any less opinion. They are entitled to theirs.

It's funny that this thread appears on the day after we've beaten a very good Atlanta team by actually playing great defense!

I'm not convinced by D'Antoni at all, but let's wait for the playoffs. If we play the type of defense we played last night against Chicago, Mike D has my vote.

Red

TYPE-A
It's funny that this thread appears on the day after we've beaten a very good Atlanta team by actually playing great defense!

I'm not convinced by D'Antoni at all, but let's wait for the playoffs. If we play the type of defense we played last night against Chicago, Mike D has my vote.

True, true...
Notice that "great defense" happened when Moz and Chandler got minutes.
Hummmm... I wonder why?

Red

TYPE-A
Btw, I can't wait to see how well our defense plays when /if we add some stars.

Theoretically we definitly should be better.

Red

TYPE-A
I won't do it b/c I am not blindly pro-MDA (as I feel many are blindly anti-MDA - see: Clyde & The Pearl).

The articles are mostly people's opinions, just b/c they write for a blog does not make it any less opinion. They are entitled to theirs.

They're not all blogs. And even if they were, they are written by repected journalists and use some statistical analysis.

You should check them out, give you some perspective.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I was just sitting here like damn...KO.com doesn't have enough anti-D'ant threads and here came Red to save the day! :teeth:

iSaYughh

Starter
I was just sitting here like damn...KO.com doesn't have enough anti-D'ant threads and here came Red to save the day! :teeth:

:teeth: like the new avatar, was going to comment earlier how ruthless you've been lectering people.

This thread is fatally flawed. All sizzle no steak. The posting equivalent of a high-pitched, weak, desperate guy at a bar during last call, making a lot of noise and going up to every person with chromosomes acting big, thinking he will actually score a girl; or make people think he is.

We are an unexpectedly dangerous team, we are a team of optimism, we are playoff bound, we are poised to be a 6th seed, we are positioned to finish the season even stronger, we have had unexpectedly great play from rookies and no-names, we have exceeded the predictions and expectations of fans and experts.

Aka, Coach D'antoni reads these threads and smiles at the forced gloom, before asking the OP how is ass tastes. :afro:

Red

TYPE-A
:teeth: like the new avatar, was going to comment earlier how ruthless you've been lectering people.

This thread is fatally flawed. All sizzle no steak. The posting equivalent of a high-pitched, weak, desperate guy at a bar during last call, making a lot of noise and going up to every person with chromosomes acting big, thinking he will actually score a girl; or make people think he is.

We are an unexpectedly dangerous team, we are a team of optimism, we are playoff bound, we are poised to be a 6th seed, we are positioned to finish the season even stronger, we have had unexpectedly great play from rookies and no-names, we have exceeded the predictions and expectations of fans and experts.

Aka, Coach D'antoni reads these threads and smiles at the forced gloom, before asking the OP how is ass tastes. :afro:

Some people are thought to be dumb, others open their mouths (or post in your case) and remove all doubt.

Thanks Uggg..!

Let's just add "tries too hard", and "d*ck rides" to your list of traits.

Id like to also point out how insignificant your opinions are... I posted some fine articles for our pleasure echoing some sentiments

And you took this opportunity to suck Trills d*ck....huh?
Pathetic.

Keep it moving, and take your corny anologies with you, we all know you have nothing constructive to add.

How's trills a$$ taste?

Red

TYPE-A

Nice sig!

Remember, as you would say...
Stay on topic, read and DEBATE the points.

Or do you have nothing new to say (which I'm not complaining about)?

Btw, when you're done, please explain how our defense (opg) is worse this year as compared to last. We did get better players right? Let me know.

Hitman

Benchwarmer
http://www.hardwoodparoxysm.com/tag/mike-dantoni/

Last year... sound familiar?

Here's my favorite part...

ow... ow.... I know.... Mike D'Antoni inflates stats!

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog...-s-excuse-making-days-are-over?urn=nba-229475

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/paul_forrester/01/28/heat.knicks/index.html

Who knows? Maybe D'Antoni found a new way to make a wheel. I bet his supporters don't know either. But hey, this game is still young.

Here's another good article on who's to blame...

http://newyorkstateofsports.com/2010/03/27/the-2009-2010-knicks-whos-to-blame/#more-1243

This is from last year, but notice we are actually givng up more points now than then. Smh.

The verdict...

Players or coach?
Players or system?
Ever hear of "unintended consequences"?

This thread was created to funnel the D'Antoni -vs- the Anti-D'Antoni debates. Please stop expressing opinions about coach in other threads created for other discussions.

Thanks.

P.S. "Spin Doctors" need not apply.

One.

Red, do you realize

that if you and Mike D'Antoni were in a room together

that in that room, there would be

one multi multimillionaire who is considered by people like Coach K & Steve Nash to be a 'basketball genius.'

and one deluded know nothing crazy internet psycho.

Which one are you?

MusketeerX

Rotation player
I think all the flaming, on both sides, is ridiculous. I think at this point, we know where everyone stands, but I do appreciate that there is one thread to discuss it all.

Last edited:

Red

TYPE-A
Red, do you realize

that if you and Mike D'Antoni were in a room together

that in that room, there would be

one multi multimillionaire who is considered by people like Coach K & Steve Nash to be a 'basketball genius.'

and one deluded know nothing crazy internet psycho (who for some reason I'm responding to...smh).

Which one are you?

Me and D'Antoni in the same room...(pause)
that sh*t don't sound right.

How do you know if I am a millionaire or not?

"that if you and Mike D'Antoni were in a room together

that in that room"... might qualify as poor grammar.

It means that D'Antoni, who probably grades as high on coaching paranoia as most of them do, has a sense that he does go right on the frontlines if the deal is made.

If Walsh does close the deal, it is hard to see how Dolan doesn't exercise the team's option on Walsh's contract at the end of April. Walsh will have made the deal that Dolan wants him to make, after a negotiation in which Dolan has involved himself, but good. In that way, the whole thing is win-win for Walsh.

Then D'Antoni is the one who has to win games.

Now, just because one basketball guy says that D'Antoni is a possible obstacle to the Knicks trading 60% of their starting lineup for Anthony doesn't automatically mean that he is. But there is a certain logic to it. D'Antoni got the Knicks winning earlier in the season and the crowd cheered. And even though the Knicks have stumbled lately, they go into the break at 28-26 and still in the sixth playoff slot in the Eastern Conference, over .500 at the break for the first time in a decade.

Clearly, though, the game changes if the Knicks do get Anthony, no matter how much they have to give up. If you think D'Antoni is already out front - really for the first time - because of the way the Knicks have stumbled the last month (mostly because they play the worst defense in the conference and defense as bad as anybody in the league), what happens the night Anthony comes out of the tunnel? At which point the crowd doesn't just cheer, it officially goes back to being the Monster of Madison Square Garden?

One of the reasons that D'Antoni made the name for himself in Phoenix that he did was because he had two stars, Stoudemire and Steve Nash. But Nash was as unselfish superstar MVP as the league has seen. Not only that, he was low maintenance, and like a coach on the floor. It will be a little different if Anthony suits up for the Knicks next week. This is a young man who has been a star of his sport since he led Syracuse to the NCAA national championship as a freshman, even if he hasn't won much since.

Oh, you bet the game changes for D'Antoni, and the stakes are raised exponentially. All of a sudden, people won't just be thrilled to see the Knicks back in the playoffs, they will want them to make some real noise in the first round, even if it's against the Heat or Celtics or Magic or Bulls. Then D'Antoni really is out of the bubble in which he was allowed to operate before this season, when nobody expected him to do anything.

Maybe it makes sense that the person most worried about making this change is the guy who has to make a new team work with less than 30 games left in the regular season. In the third year of a four-year contract.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b..._will_start_to_heat_up_for.html#ixzz1EGZXyeff

MMmm...

TICK-TOCK MOTHERF*CKER.