D'Antoni should not be coaching in the NBA

tiger0330

Legend
Shouldn't a guy making 6m a year coaching at the highest level be a decisive decision maker and have a plan for his team. Every time I hear the guy it's maybe we'll do this, we'll play it by ear...

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/knicksblog/it_true_robinson_will_start_for_OljHZgjoz1bo1ZFcfre4iL

Expect to see Nate Robinson starting tomorrow night when the Knicks play the Bucks at Madison Square Garden.

?It looks like Nate probably will start as the point guard,? Mike D?Antoni said after practice today. ?We?ll go with the way we finished up the game [last night], which I thought was good, good energy and then we?ll see what the rotation will look like, but that seems to be the plan right now.?

Robinson helped spark the Knicks? turnaround in their win over Washington at the Garden last night. He, like several teammates, has been in and out of D?Antoni?s rotation this season.

?I?ve just gotta be ready,? Robinson said. ?Just continue to play my game. The basic thing of basketball is to make teammates better. That?s something I?m trying to do.?

D?Antoni said that Larry Hughes, still sporting his beard of discontent even after playing nearly 18 minutes against the Wizards, would also likely get more time tomorrow.

?I thought he played well, so we?ll stick with him,? D?Antoni said. ?Hopefully he keeps playing well, because he does give us a defensive edge that in January we probably missed without him. So we?ll see how February goes, but last night I thought he earned his minutes.?

Blumatic

Rotation player
Don Chaney, Lenny Wilkens, Larry Brown, Isiah Thomas have all changed line ups and have been indecisive with this team. Phil Jackson and Popovic (what ever his name is) never had that problem.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Do you guys seriously think we would be a playoff team with Phil Jackson as coach?

Come on, this team has been a mess for a while, and we've only started to clean it up.

What is the point of this thread?

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
This thread = Fail. It's one thing to say D'antoni shouldn't be the coach of the Knicks, as some K.O members feel. It's another thing to say he can't coach in this league, which is utter bullshit.

Might as well close the thread now.

johnstarky

Rotation player
How does one close a thread? I thought Rady and the moderators were the only ones that had the power to do that.

I agree close thread, did some one say phil jackson and popovich im sorry

I didnt know that having kobe bryant, tim duncan, lamar odom, pau gasol, andrew bynum, ron artest, tony parker, manu ginobli, and richard jefferson were equal talent to david lee, al harrington, nate robinson, chris duhon, wilson chandler, and danilo gallinari.

Mike D coached the suns to elite status year after year, only to fall to teams like the lakers and spurs, who from my understanding in the west every one has fell to for the past 12 years atleast one time or another.

get over it close thread. our problem is our team not our coach.

LeFlume

All Star
Coach D'Antoni is in the same position as President Obama. He got dealt a losing hand. It's not their fault. Is the one before them who is to blame...

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
The reason the lineups change is because we are not winning. Phil Jackson and Popavich have the luxury of superstars and solid role players who have defined roles. When a coach steps into a bad situation like the Knicks many changes will need to be made until we acquire the right combination of players to win games consistently.

Larry Brown is a hall of fame coach yet he changed our lineup more times in his short tenure than any other coach in the same time span. Again, the reason was trying to find the right combination to win games given the lackluster talent he had to work with.

Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Greg Pop or any other elite coach would not be able to take our mediocre cast of mismatched players and turn them into an elite team. Once we acquire that one star who we can ride night in and night out is when the rotation will be defined and when we start winning games. It's that simple...acquire a super star!

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Obama haha , ummm no. America isnt a losing hand guy. Thanks for comparing our country to the knicks.

It's actually a very valid comparison. Both Dantoni and Obama inherited a mess from their predecessor, very little financial flexibility and an impatient public that expects miracles in a short amount of time.

Asimov

Benchwarmer
Coach D'Antoni is in the same position as President Obama. He got dealt a losing hand. It's not their fault. Is the one before them who is to blame...

only difference is D'Antoni isnt BLAMING Isiah while Obama's blamin Bush

try again!

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
only difference is D'Antoni isnt BLAMING Isiah while Obama's blamin Bush

try again!

Sigh...

Obama is only blaming Bush because the policies and past failures are having a direct impact on our economy, fiscal health and ability to deal with multiple issues right now. Just because a POTUS steps down does not mean his policies don't have lasting effects for years. Point in case, Obama inherited the 8 trillion in debt which severely hampers his ability to fight a recession, fund new initiatives and lay the foundation for sustainable growth.

ANU

Starter
mike is an awful coach and anyone who doesn't see it is giving him too much benefit of the doubt.look at the rockets.the knicks have more talent than they do.they have a guy who is undersized starting at center, they are out west, and they're still in contention for the playoffs.if d'antoni was any good, this is where his brilliance would shine through.he'd mix and match a lines up based on opponents, he'd actually try to exploit the mis-matches the knicks have had.but he hasn't.and the reason most would not fire him is because they think he'll deliver lebron james or wade(olympics).i don't see any of them coming with mike as our coach.i don't see it.

i want jeff van gundy back if lebron james is here.

Last edited:

nyk_nyk

All Star
Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Greg Pop or any other elite coach would not be able to take our mediocre cast of mismatched players and turn them into an elite team. Once we acquire that one star who we can ride night in and night out is when the rotation will be defined and when we start winning games. It's that simple...acquire a super star!

No one expects an elite team here, but they should be better than what they are. I think Dantoni is a solid NBA coach but not the right fit for NY.

In the beginning Dantoni employed a "chuck 3s till your arms fall off" philosophy and had us in a huge hole right out the gate. With the losses piling up he decided to focus more on defense.

Thanks to Hughes and Jeffries the defense did improve but they were still losing because of bad shot selection.

Eventually Dantoni tones down all the 3s and starts to focus more on ball movement and driving to the basket (proof of that is how Chandler & Harrington suddenly started driving to the basket more).

With Hill and Darko ready to play, Dantoni fails to give either one of those guys a shot at the starting center position. Either one of those guys would compliment Lee pretty well IMO.

TD shows promise here and there but doesn't get the time needed to really showcase his skills, meanwhile Duhon gets a free pass on a nightly basis.

Hughes gets injured and loses his minutes in the rotation to Bender, a 3 point shooting 7 footer.

Bender eventually loses his minutes in favor of Hill who shows promise but also needs more minutes.

With the loses continuing, Dantoni decides to shorten the rotation in hopes of building chemistry. Meanwhile, all he's doing is alienating players who bust their ass off every night.

Figuring out your players is something you concentrate on during the preseason. I've played college basketball and its very important for players to have a sense of what their role is. This team is filled with a bunch of role players and bench players. Also, there should always be minutes available for the rookies since they will be here next season. Because this team is subpar, at least 9 guys should be playing on a nightly basis. There is no superstar here so help from the whole team is needed.

this thread is running out of gas quickly, its another opinionated thread based on situations that cannot be assessed with the players we have on the floor. There is no one that can say mike D is awful, but as of right now there is nothing to suggest he is great. The real issue here is general management and the players on the floor; Mike D as of right now is impossible to assess based on the same logic we would use to asses Mike Brown of the Cavs...is he an elite coach because his team has the best record, if he coached the knicks he probably would have lost his job already.. does flip saunders winning percentage for career reflect his ability to coach now ? Who knows. Lets wait for a star to get here.

management must do their job this summer, and then we can assess Mike D.

Paul1355

All Star
D'Antoni has no solution for this team's inconsistent play.

A coach who knew his players would be able to figure out, BY NOW, what to do to win some games.

Everytime he is confronted with a normal question...like "why did your team give up so many easy points" he never talks about Jeffries horrible defense or the rest of the team just opening up holes...or even the fact that he has been benching Douglas, Hughes, and Hill all season who acutally have skill on defense....he just says its aboute enrgy....he is so over rated its making me sick.

ANU

Starter
mike d'antoni had a two time mvp in phoenix, and people want to give him the benifit of the doubt, till next year, when he could wind up with another 2 (will be) time mvp in james.:teeth:

shit is pure comedy.