Is our greatest fear true?

Hayato

Benchwarmer
Can melo and amare not coexist? they never look on the same page at all, and theyre both purely offensive players who need the ball most of the time.. i wanna see how we do with a pg (who even knows if davis is the answer) and a new coach. if melo or amare is moved before d'antoni is out of here, ill be livid

iSaYughh

Starter
They looked pretty good last year, leading up the playoffs.

There was obvious discord in the team chemistry and gameplanning, but how could there not given the players that were exchanged.

We also looked pretty damn good vs BOS till injuries mounted up.

We added Chandler, which is a huge addition, though arguably it HURTS Amare(and Melo) as it exacerbates the effects of not having a PG.

But we looked pretty damn powerful after we got Melo last year, especially after the initial growing pains.

With the addition of Chandler, simply getting Amare and Melo to where they were last year together should make us pretty legit contenders.

Good enough to beat anybody outside of 3, maybe 4 teams. And def good enough to give those teams a scare.

Wargames

Starter
I'm starting to get that feeling i use to get with the knicks pre 2010 when well .... I guess its that hopelessness feeling...

F**king Dolan should be a NY colloquial term that means: Ruined. Like "Hey don't Dolan my burger by putting onions on it" or "My friend Dolan'ed his car by crashing into a tree"

Thats all I go to say.

Can melo and amare not coexist? they never look on the same page at all, and theyre both purely offensive players who need the ball most of the time.. i wanna see how we do with a pg (who even knows if davis is the answer) and a new coach. if melo or amare is moved before d'antoni is out of here, ill be livid

This abomination has nothing to do with Melo and STAT. Its the offense being run by MDA.

If you put these guys in the right places on the court the games and wins would come easy.

Woodson must be sitting next to this clown and it's taking everything he has not to just get up and quit.

MDA is MUCKING this eam up..

Paul1355

All Star
we need to see how Davis does before coming to those conclusions.

And we need another coach before coming to those conclusions.

Mike D has no offensive mind. He has a few set plays and thats it.

He doesn't use players strengths, doesn't coach players to do proper fundamentals. Why is Amare so far out from the paint every game? Why is Mike D not telling Douglas to actually hit Amare on the pick and roll?

What happened to Chandler and the pick and roll?

Why is douglas continuing to just run the offense from 40 feet away from the hoop, Mike D needs to COACH for once!!!

We need a new coach, a real coach, and a decent PG..

Stop playing Douglas at PG.

I can live with Shumpert atleast he is better than TD but TD I can't take anymore, it's like watching a horror movie when watching Douglas play, you have to cover your eyes.

New New York

Quiet Storm

Look they are not an ideal fit....neither is Wade and Lebron and neither is Kobe and Gasol

Nice Complimentary SF's for Amare

Gallo (let me just get that out of the way)
Rudy Gay
Rashad Lewis (before he started to suck)

PF's for Melo

David Lee (let me get that out of the way)
Garnett (not co-signing a previous thread about this)
Kenyon Martin (before he started to suck)

Having said that, it can work! This time last year people were thinking the same thing about DWade and Lebron, there games were simply too similar was the consensus, yet they made it work!

pakopako

Benchwarmer
Look they are not an ideal fit....neither is Wade and Lebron and neither is Kobe and Gasol
But every combo can work. It just takes time, effort, and likely an outside source (good PG, good C, good bench, etc.)

FWIW, I think Kobe and Gasol do work OK. Gasol's quick enough to set screens and ig enough to roll off to the basket; plus they have Bynum who's easy to spot near the rim and either Odom (not any more) or Artest (Befree, Worldpeace) being... whatever.

Wade and James works out wonderfully. It's Bosh that I'm looking at funny.

Gallo and Amar'e worked out well. But this was at the point we had a 3-headed Center and Amare was one of those heads.

Problem we have is that STAT/Melo/Chandler are all we have. Three people aren't a team, much less a starting line-up.

Shumpert needs to start because Fields and Douglas are non-factors. Good guys off the bench, but provide almost no help when starting. Then we have Walker, Balkman, Jeffries and Lin. I don't think they can be effective enough to be starters either. I don't have an opinion on what Novak can contribute, but Mike Bibby is almost dead weight at this point.

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE

There was obvious discord in the team chemistry and gameplanning, but how could there not given the players that were exchanged.

We added Chandler, which is a huge addition, though arguably it HURTS Amare(and Melo) as it exacerbates the effects of not having a PG.

But we looked pretty damn powerful after we got Melo last year, especially after the initial growing pains.

With the addition of Chandler, simply getting Amare and Melo to where they were last year together should make us pretty legit contenders.

Good enough to beat anybody outside of 3, maybe 4 teams. And def good enough to give those teams a scare.

Agreed. No question in my mind that Amar'e and Melo can work as a team. I still think they're a better fit than LeBron and Wade.

Agreed. No question in my mind that Amar'e and Melo can work as a team. I still think they're a better fit than LeBron and Wade.

Based on what?

I think this is totally untrue, Lebron and Wade are both great passers. Lebron is a top 5 passer in the league and Wade is as good a passer as most teams starting PGs.

Amar'e isn't a passer at all, Melo is a score first guy and they need different offensive systems to work.

So how in the world did you come up with the conclusion that they are a better fit than Lebron and Wade?

MeloforMayor

BALL DON'T LIE
Based on what?

I think this is totally untrue, Lebron and Wade are both great passers. Lebron is a top 5 passer in the league and Wade is as good a passer as most teams starting PGs.

Amar'e isn't a passer at all, Melo is a score first guy and they need different offensive systems to work.

So how in the world did you come up with the conclusion that they are a better fit than Lebron and Wade?

Based on their positions on the court and where they like to score.

Melo is a small forward, Amar'e a power forward. If you play basketball, you should know that a player does not necessarily need to be a "great passer" to perform simple 2-man plays like the pick n' roll/pop.

Anthony likes to isolate in the left and right elbow on the court, while STAT likes to (or used to) get his points setting up picks and rolling to the basket. He also likes to get his shots while running toward the basket.

Melo just needs to find out where Amar'e's sweet spots are and they're good to go. Below is a video showing the potential of how just lethal the STAT & Melo combination can be.

Now for LeBron and Wade......

I just don't see them having a 2-man game. Their games are too much alike IMO. They both like to handle the ball to create for themselves or pass to teammates.

They like to shoot their shots in rhythm, meaning that they're not as effective catch-and-shoot players. They need the ball in their hands all the time.

Problem is there is only one basketball during the game. This explains why LeBron and Wade have better games when the other is injured or off the court.

There's no play to run between them other than the occasional fastbreak alley-oop.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
How can we say STAT and Melo can't coexist if we've yet to see them run some 2-man game, between the two, in about 1,843 possessions this year?

The 3-4 pick and roll would be devastation on the NBA, and we know Melo is a good enough ball handler to drive the lane, or feed STAT the ball.

Two guys who command double teams operating in close proximity would need 4 defenders on one side of the court....can't do it.

You would have Melo feeding STAT down low, after he pins down and seals off his man, STAT can then use his strength/athleticism, depending on who's guarding him, to attempt the shot; or he can hand the ball off to a cutting Melo, on the baseline, if Melo's man sags off to give some help on the overmatched player who's defending STAT in the post. Now you have Melo's man trailing, and either a smaller player to give some help from the other side...advantage: 6'8'' 230lbs Melo, or a big, where Melo should be quicker...or he can make the extra pass.

OR

If STAT's man hedges on the initial screen, slip it, lob to STAT, 2 points and maybe even a foul.

There are a plethora of options with some 2-man game between these two, but we haven't seen it this year.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

I agree whole heartedly. The capability is there. We do, however, have to adjust: boys to men for Amar'e and Carmelo. Traditional approach for Mike.

How can we say STAT and Melo can't coexist if we've yet to see them run some 2-man game, between the two, in about 1,843 possessions this year?

The 3-4 pick and roll would be devastation on the NBA, and we know Melo is a good enough ball handler to drive the lane, or feed STAT the ball.

Two guys who command double teams operating in close proximity would need 4 defenders on one side of the court....can't do it.

You would have Melo feeding STAT down low, after he pins down and seals off his man, STAT can then use his strength/athleticism, depending on who's guarding him, to attempt the shot; or he can hand the ball off to a cutting Melo, on the baseline, if Melo's man sags off to give some help on the overmatched player who's defending STAT in the post. Now you have Melo's man trailing, and either a smaller player to give some help from the other side...advantage: 6'8'' 230lbs Melo, or a big, where Melo should be quicker...or he can make the extra pass.

OR

If STAT's man hedges on the initial screen, slip it, lob to STAT, 2 points and maybe even a foul.

There are a plethora of options with some 2-man game between these two, but we haven't seen it this year.

Opportunity, ability, possibility, conceivability, achievability, attainability, potentiality.

7 words that end with i + t + y.

The only word that ends in i + t + y that describes the fact that these 2 aren't used together to benefit one another is........

Absurdity.

In that regard, and the fact that we have no reliable inside game as the team boasting the best starting front-court in the league, yes, this is a coaching issue.

Is it all Mike D's fault? No. There's a plethora of options to pick from that correspond to this team being so utterly ****ing horrible.

KingofNy

Starter
Crazy⑧s;199856 said:
Is it all Mike D's fault? No. There's a plethora of options to pick from that correspond to this team being so utterly ****ing horrible.

I would say MDA is mostly to blame for it. Here's why.

Our offense is run EXACTLY how he wants it. Run & gun, pick & roll all game, SSOL, chucking 3's, perimeter ball movement, outside/inside b-ball. That system has PROVEN to NOT work unless he has a team full of All-Star SG's/SF's that ALL can nail the 3 consistently and still play defense... AND even then they still didn't win sh*t.

Problem is we don't have those type of players. Does that mean our players aren't good? Does that mean they can't coexist? Does that mean we have to trade away our team and start over? NO, NO, and even more NO!

It all comes down to the fact that this system and this coach DOES NOT WORK for our players, especially NOT our all-stars. We can't consistently hit the 3 ball because we don't have the personnel to do so... Key word Consistently. Also, we can't consistently hit 3's because team's end up ADJUSTING their defense if we start hitting our three's to just cover the perimeter because they know we can't drive the basketball HARD and FINISH HARD. Landry tried last night but it was a joke and Douglas stares at his shoe laces when he's dribbling around the court like a madman while turning the ball over.

When have we seen this coach try something new like inside out bball. Traingle O. Something? This team will suck no matter who we get until this garbage @ss coach is gone. Mark my words, pretty soon Melo and Chandler are going to start calling MDA out in the media. Watch. They're too passionate to keep losing like this in MDA's system fit for an undersized team of misfits.