Game Thread: MLK DAY Nets at Knicks 1/21/13

Rob Low

Rotation player
Still not worried. I knew this team would turn into a stagnant jump shooting team without Felton. Kidd obviously can't penetrate and put pressure on opposing defenses like Felton can. Last time we beat them at the garden it was because the Felton and Chandler pick and roll was unguardable. Without Felton we just gave the ball to Melo and expected him to carry us for 48 mins. You don't win games like that in the NBA.

With Felton coming back and our schedule getting much easier we're still in a good position, that's why winning all those games at the beginning of the year was so important. As poorly as we've played we're only a game and a half back from the number 1 spot.

bigapple

Starter
now we can stop look @ this

56265799binsidetv1126200881326am.jpg

i hope they will not visit MSG anymore this season

erivera

Benchwarmer
now we can stop look @ this

56265799binsidetv1126200881326am.jpg

i hope they will not visit MSG anymore this season

the guy sitting behind them looks like he was in a 15 round fight. lol.

anyway teams go through ups and downs. the knicks are fine as long as they don't have a 5 or 6 game losing streak. if they can win a couple games here and there, they'll be fine. all these teams in the east have struggled at points. right now teams are playing well and the knicks aren't. it's still an 82 game season.

rady

Administrator
Staff member
I still can't wait for Felton to return and see him do the pick'n roll with STAT

nyk_nyk

All Star
Relax panic squad. Yes this was a bad loss especially since it was a division game, but we are still in good position. As good as Kidd has been in the first 25 games or so, he's been a weak spot having to take on full pg duties. When Felton comes back we'll have our penetrating PG to open up some shots and the more effective limited minutes Kidd. If Camby and Sheed are ever fully healthy again then we are an elite team.

The only real issues I had last night was the team going a stretch with virtually no ball movement and didn't see Woodson correcting that. The other big issue was Woodson choosing to go with Novak instead of an effective Amare on that possession down by 1. Melo was doing a great job of finding Amare when he was being doubled. Down by only 1 i'm not sure why you needed Novak (0 points) to stand in the corner when Amare is a threat to either score inside or get to the FT line off Melo's drve.

I don?t know why some people here are sleeping on the Nets; they must still think they are the same team from NJ. If the Knicks (and the fans) keep over looking them and pretending like they aren?t for real?than they will be in for a rude awakening come season?s end. The Knicks had a chance to win but they were playing like they were still on vacation. I think that trip over the pond was a bad idea for many reasons. They don?t really appreciate BBall as much over there, and playing one game the whole week is going to mess up the team?s rhythm. It?s like the Knicks took a mini vacation while playing through a critical part of the schedule. That trip may have done more harm for the Knicks than it has done good for the league. I was very surprised at how Lopez dominated in this game; P.J. has the Nets hungry and primed. They?re really buying into the NY theme and are steadily gaining much respect from around the league. arguably the hottest team in the league right now while the Knicks are still struggling with injuries and identity issues. But, the Nets still have work to do in terms of building a following. The Knicks have History, but they also have a lot of forgettable history as well. Thank the Lawd the Knicks have a much better team this year than they had in recent years. This lost for the Knicks should have put a bunch of things in perspective, hopefully their vision isn?t blurry.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I don?t know why some people here are sleeping on the Nets; they must still think they are the same team from NJ. If the Knicks (and the fans) keep over looking them and pretending like they aren?t for real?than they will be in for a rude awakening come season?s end. The Knicks had a chance to win but they were playing like they were still on vacation. I think that trip over the pond was a bad idea for many reasons. They don?t really appreciate BBall as much over there, and playing one game the whole week is going to mess up the team?s rhythm. It?s like the Knicks took a mini vacation while playing through a critical part of the schedule. That trip may have done more harm for the Knicks than it has done good for the league. I was very surprised at how Lopez dominated in this game; P.J. has the Nets hungry and primed. They?re really buying into the NY theme and are steadily gaining much respect from around the league. arguably the hottest team in the league right now while the Knicks are still struggling with injuries and identity issues. But, the Nets still have work to do in terms of building a following. The Knicks have History, but they also have a lot of forgettable history as well. Thank the Lawd the Knicks have a much better team this year than they had in recent years. This lost for the Knicks should have put a bunch of things in perspective, hopefully their vision isn?t blurry.

I don't think anyone is sleeping on the Nets. Bottom line is they aren't the better team and we shouldn't be losing to them, especially at MSG. Nets are far from a bad team but we shouldn't be struggling against them like we did yesterday. When Shump is free to play any amount of minutes it will help alot. Felton's return will produce the biggest impact. Amare is hurting us on rebounds, so its very important for Sheed or Camby to get back ASAP or release a player and sign Kmart.

CoolClyde

a tough loss, shoulda/coulda been a win if Joe's Johnson didn't go off at the end. Knicks D keeping Bklyn scoreless for 5 minutes in 4Q was a good sign, but Joe > Melo at the end. ce la vie.

i'm liking the KO support for Felton, I agree his healthy return, mixed with STAT and Shump feeling better, is going to impact this squad mightily.

I don't mind this loss all that much, makes the rivalry all the more intense.

Keys:
Knicks were out-rebounded by twin uglies Lopez/Humpfreeze, who had 5 offensive bounds each, 24 total between them. not good.

Knicks forced 19 TO's compared to only 5. that's pretty good.

Novak invisible, except for a couple bounds. if he hits a couple in the 14-15 min he's allotted, it's a different game.
did not happen.

Brewer, Prigger - scoreless. feh.

Cope started, did OK, but only 15 minutes. the fact that he's getting same amount of minutes as Novak, but producing a hella lot more deserves some attention. put more hope in the land of Cope, son.

STAT looking better and better... starting lineup, here we come.

a strange day, with MLK remembrance, presidential inauguration, and Knick game. i'll take this loss with a grain of salt, and keep in mind all the things Martin Luther King Jr and Barack Obama had to say.
HOPE. FAITH. BE STRONG. OVERCOME.

:gony:

I don't think anyone is sleeping on the Nets. Bottom line is they aren't the better team and we shouldn't be losing to them, especially at MSG. Nets are far from a bad team but we shouldn't be struggling against them like we did yesterday. When Shump is free to play any amount of minutes it will help alot. Felton's return will produce the biggest impact. Amare is hurting us on rebounds, so its very important for Sheed or Camby to get back ASAP or release a player and sign Kmart.

I don't know about that just yet. I've been watching a lot of Net, OKC and Knicks games this year. The Knicks have the deeper team, a true playoff team, but if they don't get healthy they will fail. Nets are serious and clicking. They are tough, go hard in every game from the beginning to the end (something the Nets never did), and they can actually ball. There are just too many old heads on the Knicks roster, and if they can't heal up, contribute and help the team... than the Knicks are in serious trouble.

Felton and sheed will make a difference 4sure. But, I'm starting to think Amare is done. He will have to alter his game drastically if he expects to compete at a higher level. As of now he is hurting the rotation with his *****cat play and his inflatted contract. Trying to fit him in when he is not even performing or helping much is going to hurt. He's the weak link and I'm not so proud to say that, it actually hurts. The season is reaching its half way point, hopefully Woody will figure this thing out. There's still plenty of time left but not enough left for certain players... if they don't get their act together.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I don't know about that just yet. I've been watching a lot of Net, OKC and Knicks games this year. The Knicks have the deeper team, a true playoff team, but if they don't get healthy they will fail. Nets are serious and clicking. They are tough, go hard in every game from the beginning to the end (something the Nets never did), and they can actually ball. There are just too many old heads on the Knicks roster, and if they can't heal up, contribute and help the team... than the Knicks are in serious trouble.

Felton and sheed will make a difference 4sure. But, I'm starting to think Amare is done. He will have to alter his game drastically if he expects to compete at a higher level. As of now he is hurting the rotation with his *****cat play and his inflatted contract. Trying to fit him in when he is not even performing or helping much is going to hurt. He's the weak link and I'm not so proud to say that, it actually hurts. The season is reaching its half way point, hopefully Woody will figure this thing out. There's still plenty of time left but not enough left for certain players... if they don't get their act together.

What kind of drastic change do you thing Amare has to make other than defending on every possession and putting more effort on getting rebounds? Scoring wise he's been okay. Regardless of his contract, Amare will be needed for this team to advance in the playoffs.

metrocard

Legend
a tough loss, shoulda/coulda been a win if Joe's Johnson didn't go off at the end. Knicks D keeping Bklyn scoreless for 5 minutes in 4Q was a good sign, but Joe > Melo at the end. ce la vie.

i'm liking the KO support for Felton, I agree his healthy return, mixed with STAT and Shump feeling better, is going to impact this squad mightily.

I don't mind this loss all that much, makes the rivalry all the more intense.

Keys:
Knicks were out-rebounded by twin uglies Lopez/Humpfreeze, who had 5 offensive bounds each, 24 total between them. not good.

Knicks forced 19 TO's compared to only 5. that's pretty good.

Novak invisible, except for a couple bounds. if he hits a couple in the 14-15 min he's allotted, it's a different game.
did not happen.

Brewer, Prigger - scoreless. feh.

Cope started, did OK, but only 15 minutes. the fact that he's getting same amount of minutes as Novak, but producing a hella lot more deserves some attention. put more hope in the land of Cope, son.

STAT looking better and better... starting lineup, here we come.

a strange day, with MLK remembrance, presidential inauguration, and Knick game. i'll take this loss with a grain of salt, and keep in mind all the things Martin Luther King Jr and Barack Obama had to say.
HOPE. FAITH. BE STRONG. OVERCOME.

:gony:

Let's not put those two polar opposite guys in the same sentence.

What kind of drastic change do you thing Amare has to make other than defending on every possession and putting more effort on getting rebounds? Scoring wise he's been okay. Regardless of his contract, Amare will be needed for this team to advance in the playoffs.

He lost his hops, I don't know if he'll ever recover it but he's still trying to play like he has it and the results often end with him getting his shot blocked or altered. I do like the fact that he contributes at the charity line, that helps the team with points and affords them to catch a quick breath in between plays. I'm thinking he needs to play more under the basket to help him get his body's physicality back. He's one of the few players I think plays better once he gets bang around a bit and gets mad. Right now he's playing like he doesn't want to get hurt, or hurt the team... but at the same times he's hurting his own game...which in the end hurts the team. Get more physical and use more of those expensive post moves you brought over the summer...

Kiyaman

Legend
Everyone needs to relax. That right there is the best that the nets can get. The knicks are awaiting the return of felton, wallace, and camby, as well as the recovery of shump and stat into consistent basketball mode. Melo missed that shot because he was exhausted.

Don't hit the panic button yet because we simply aren't in prime form right now. Without felton especially we are forced to play a tired Kidd too many minutes. Its safe to say that without a completely health roster, the nets of course can compete with the knicks. Relax..

I wonder, I wonder how many KO members know why we loss this Home game?
We did not lose a HOME game because we were Feltonless .. we loss because of .. 11-29 + 7-19 = 18-48 shooting from two Knicks players who help the Nets outscore us in 3 quarters of the game .. Melo force over 20 shot attempts and JR force over 15 shot attempts before the 4th quarter.
In the 4th quarter .. Melo received a career high of passing the ball to Amare 4 times to gain 3 assists in the 4th quarter from Amare. Melo never passed the ball to Amare 4 times in one game the past 2 seasons they been teammates. Amare shot 6-10 in the game, getting 6 shot attempts in the 4th quarter. Novak is still being used as a puppet on the court to keep double-teams away from Melo & JR shot attempts (the two players are close to averaging 70% of the Knicks team shot-attempts) .. the two-players shot 48 out of 84 team shot attempts.

Real Talk

The Nets interim coach PJ has the Nets on a win win win streak by making one-change .. Gerald Wallace has not shot over 6 shot attempts per game while PJ has been coaching the Nets (the scouting-report on the NETS since firing Avery).

How many games in HOF Jason Kidds long-long career in the NBA where Kidd only recorded ONE-assist? Kidd played 35 minutes and only had one-assist .. this means Kidd did not play the POINT.

Jason Kidds outstanding defense in the 3rd quarter outscored the Nets by 9 points, by playing the entire 3rd quarter.

PG-Pablo only receive 6 minutes of playingtime throughout the first 3 quarters (first 36 minutes) of the game, forcing his muscles to cramp-up the start of the 4th quarter.
How has the progress of rookie PG-Pablo been coming along since the injury of Felton? PG-Pablo progress were getting better & better each game when Felton was in the rotation.

u would think coach Woodson would be doing overtime giving alot of attention with the progress of rookie PG-Pablo when Felton went down .. u would think rookie Pablo would be sitting next to Woodson on the bench talking constantly. NO! Woodson has allienated Pablo giving him less playingtime since Felton been out.
I wonder how Kidd feels about the treatment to Pablo?
u didnt see Kidd setting-up for the 3 ball shot when we needed one in crunchtime yesterday...

bigapple

Starter
Truth is we re playing right now without true PG

= no driving no penetration + no scoring from PG

= no passing game

which means NO movement and no teamwork

Felton is warrior he was and still is Main Factor for double blow of Heat

they won twice with Spurs but Spurs notices also other looses even to Bobcats

Melo cant be only scorer of this team with JR
we need other scorers too

personaly JR said on his twitter that its "disrespectful" for fans that they lost

and i felt dissapointed its hard when u waiting so long and your home team should use offnse for score chasing not D for stopping them

now if they fall to Celtics it will be really pathetic celtics just lost 3 games to low teams besides Bulls.Very soon they will met with Ray allen again.If they will fire Doc which i dont believe they will be done.

Kiyaman

Legend
My Knicks did not turn out the way I expected 39 games in the season ..
reminding me of 1999 Ewing/Camby/Spree/Houston

Truth is we re playing right now without true PG

u made some decent points .. butt .. u forgot Boston Big-3 and Miami Big-3 didnt have a True-PG

Melo cant be only scorer of this team with JR
we need other scorers too

We do have other scorers .. butt .. their not allowed to get 2 or 3 shot-attempts to warm-up each game, when Melo & JR does that everytime they come back on court.
There's no other reason than selfishness "WHY" Amare/Novak/and now Chandler has not been averaging 9 to 10 shot attempts in the last 6 games by now .. especially without Felton in the rotation (Felton was on his way to averaging 17 shot attempts this season before injury) .. Rasheed was averaging 7 shots

personaly JR said on his twitter that its "disrespectful" for fans that they lost

ha-ha, JR are shooting-fans away before the lost LOL .. JR facilitating as a PG dont get him assist and dont get him to the foul-line .. so JR should be limited to just 9 shot attempts per game .. JR minutes should be according to his passing-ability, rather than scoring .. especially with Amare & Shump added to the rotation.

elcol

Rotation player
I wonder, I wonder how many KO members know why we loss this Home game?
We did not lose a HOME game because we were Feltonless .. we loss because of .. 11-29 + 7-19 = 18-48 shooting from two Knicks players who help the Nets outscore us in 3 quarters of the game .. Melo force over 20 shot attempts and JR force over 15 shot attempts before the 4th quarter.
In the 4th quarter .. Melo received a career high of passing the ball to Amare 4 times to gain 3 assists in the 4th quarter from Amare. Melo never passed the ball to Amare 4 times in one game the past 2 seasons they been teammates. Amare shot 6-10 in the game, getting 6 shot attempts in the 4th quarter. Novak is still being used as a puppet on the court to keep double-teams away from Melo & JR shot attempts (the two players are close to averaging 70% of the Knicks team shot-attempts) .. the two-players shot 48 out of 84 team shot attempts.

Real Talk

The Nets interim coach PJ has the Nets on a win win win streak by making one-change .. Gerald Wallace has not shot over 6 shot attempts per game while PJ has been coaching the Nets (the scouting-report on the NETS since firing Avery).

How many games in HOF Jason Kidds long-long career in the NBA where Kidd only recorded ONE-assist? Kidd played 35 minutes and only had one-assist .. this means Kidd did not play the POINT.

Jason Kidds outstanding defense in the 3rd quarter outscored the Nets by 9 points, by playing the entire 3rd quarter.

PG-Pablo only receive 6 minutes of playingtime throughout the first 3 quarters (first 36 minutes) of the game, forcing his muscles to cramp-up the start of the 4th quarter.
How has the progress of rookie PG-Pablo been coming along since the injury of Felton? PG-Pablo progress were getting better & better each game when Felton was in the rotation.

u would think coach Woodson would be doing overtime giving alot of attention with the progress of rookie PG-Pablo when Felton went down .. u would think rookie Pablo would be sitting next to Woodson on the bench talking constantly. NO! Woodson has allienated Pablo giving him less playingtime since Felton been out.
I wonder how Kidd feels about the treatment to Pablo?
u didnt see Kidd setting-up for the 3 ball shot when we needed one in crunchtime yesterday...

Do you know why we have so many missed shot attempts and forced shot attempts from Melo and JR? Because there is nobody to penetrate and create shots for others. Kidd and Pablo are too old and unathletic to attack the basket. Your argument is nothing groundbreaking. In fact we are saying similar things, just supporting two different people. Woodson takes Pablo out because he has trouble breaking down the defense often besides the pick and roll.

Kiyaman

Legend
Do you know why we have so many missed shot attempts and forced shot attempts from Melo and JR? Because there is nobody to penetrate and create shots for others. Kidd and Pablo are too old and unathletic to attack the basket. Your argument is nothing groundbreaking. In fact we are saying similar things, just supporting two different people. Woodson takes Pablo out because he has trouble breaking down the defense often besides the pick and roll.

A creative-penetrating PG is all-good .. butt .. when u dont have that kind of PG u use the next best thing ball-movement & player-movement, which is something old Pablo & old Kidd are great at.

Lets do some math on shot attempts .. Melo 21, JR 16, Felton 16, Rasheed 7, totals to 60 shot attempts .. we average a little over 80 shots per game .. thats to many shots for just 4 players, somebody gots to go.
guess who had to go?

How many design plays with ball-movement & screens have u seen written up for Novak?