#17 Pick Nyk - Iman Shumpert

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Marbury is in China. He won't except the vet. minimum and is starting his Starbury brand over there. With the lockout talks that he predicted three years ago, even more reason he's going to most likely stay.

CoolClyde

Iman is Hot! Sherbert is Creamy!

iman_knick.jpg

Iman Sherbert?
she's cool, she's a hottie
she's creamy, she's Bowie!
she's pointy, she's guarded,
Damntoni's retarded.
:gony:

ohh and btw I'm watching sports center and there laughing at us right now, all the analyst's are saying we picked the wrong guy. turn it on right now to see for yourself.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I feel alot better about the Shumpert pick..
Why?

I have nothing to judge based off, so I'm curious. Of course he doesn't fill our biggest need, but if the other players weren't worth drafting for us then well...we made the right choice and the draft might have been as week as advertised.

Plus we DID get a center, so, I'm happier now too.

Why?

I have nothing to judge based off, so I'm curious. Of course he doesn't fill our biggest need, but if the other players weren't worth drafting for us then well...we made the right choice and the draft might have been as week as advertised.

Plus we DID get a center, so, I'm happier now too.
I said this in another thread but I'll put it here too.
I like the Shumpert pick. He's a versatile defender and the one knock being he couldn't shoot it. Apparently Donnie saw him stroking the jimmy in workouts and felt his shot mechanics were fine as it was and he can indeed play both sides of the ball.I'm gonna trust Donnie's judgement here. And he's an athletic beast! We need help really at damn near every position outside of foward right now after we lost so much in the Melo trade.. It would've been nice to get a big, but the more I look at it I don't feel any of the bigs available were ready to or would ever become big time contributors to our team. I Can't wait to use him in 2k12..

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I said this in another thread but I'll put it here too.
I like the Shumpert pick. He's a versatile defender and the one knock being he couldn't shoot it. Apparently Donnie saw him stroking the jimmy in workouts and felt his shot mechanics were fine as it was and he can indeed play both sides of the ball.I'm gonna trust Donnie's judgement here. And he's an athletic beast! We need help really at damn near every position outside of foward right now after we lost so much in the Melo trade.. It would've been nice to get a big, but the more I look at it I don't feel any of the bigs available were ready to or would ever become big time contributors to our team. I Can't wait to use him in 2k12..
Good post. Didn't see that.

Also saw another post similar to that about Donnie evaluating Shumpert, and yeah, sounds good.

The biggest concern is using our money right on free agents. Even if we got the best available center in the draft, we'd still need to get Dalembert or somebody to ENSURE that spot.

Good post. Didn't see that.

Also saw another post similar to that about Donnie evaluating Shumpert, and yeah, sounds good.

The biggest concern is using our money right on free agents. Even if we got the best available center in the draft, we'd still need to get Dalembert or somebody to ENSURE that spot.
Agreed. I definitely didn't want a rookie as our starting center on opening night. Especially one from this weak ass draft lol.

Wargames

Starter

Here is a great video breaking down the pro's and con's of Iman Shumpert's game. I will say this him landing on a team with Mike d as a coach is to his benefit since Mike D can improve a players shot as long as they have the ability to shoot to begin with. That alone should add to his stock since the Knicks actually know how to develop players ability to shoot.

Also look at his defense and you can see why the Knicks wanted him. His ability to keep PG's from going in and getting easy shots from penetrating for a lay up fixes a problem the Knicks had all last season. The reason for this isn't just his lateral speed, its his size as well since opposing PG's will have trouble shooting over his head. As for SG's his physical strength should also make him a problem for them as well defensively.

Anyhow the best defensive highlight from the video is when he intercept a Alleyoop. That right there would of been worth his weight in gold in that Celtic series a few months ago. The big question would be where does he fit in the Knicks rotation. Perhaps the Knicks Keep Fields as the starting SG and then sub in a backcourt of TD and Iman with the hope that between them they can run the offense since their both Combo Guards?

Last edited:

skisloper

Starter
Lets hope the goal is to have him play backup PG.
With Fields and Douglas both maybe being used as trade bait we need to solidify our guard position....If the GUY can play defense and we need defense then he has a purpose...scorers we do not need....

Plus the pick up of the Kentucky Center is smart...we have some muscle at 6-10....Now we have a guy who can clog the middle on defense...

Remeber our newbies will be working with Billups, Melo and Amare...

guys will only get better

mafra

Legend
AT BEST, he's a taller version of T-Douglas. Chumpert is a measuring tape kid, not a game tape prospect. Sure, aside from his poor decision making and limited shooting range "he's a real steal." LOL.

D'antoni is really gonna love a kid who doesn't make other around him better, not a good passer, and cannot hit the 3-pointer. I really seeing this kid getting 25 minutes a night. LOL.

I watch a lot of ACC BBALL. This kid is nowhere near the player Singleton is. Heck, Chris Singleton would be a better SG!

Imam is not really that great of a man defender anyway. I SAW NOLAN SMITH make a jackass out of this "stopper." LIT HIM UP for 29 points.

But... hey... if the game boils down to a jump off (who has the better vertical leap), we might be in good shape. Just don't ask him to stop Wade from scoring, or hit a big shot, or create for his teammates.

mafra

Legend
Lets hope the goal is to have him play backup PG.
With Fields and Douglas both maybe being used as trade bait we need to solidify our guard position....If the GUY can play defense and we need defense then he has a purpose...scorers we do not need....

Plus the pick up of the Kentucky Center is smart...we have some muscle at 6-10....Now we have a guy who can clog the middle on defense...

Remeber our newbies will be working with Billups, Melo and Amare...

guys will only get better

LO! Harrelson clogging the lane? That made my morning. Dude won't even make the team. Good one tho!

mafra

Legend
In the interest of full disclosure... I was one of the posters saying we should draft Shumpert. I figured trading for a late 1st might not get the job done, for his measurables shot him from a 2nd rounder to a mid 20s selection.

I was on board IF Jimmer, Thompson, Singleton, Burks were gone.

I just don't think drafting Shumpert over Singelton makes sense.

Pick was going to boil down to Donatas Motiejunas, Kenneth Faried or Shumpert... if most mocks were correct and the top 16 projected were gone.

Motiejunas is a true D'antoni C. Better than Mozgov. Faried can rebound. Shumpert is the athlete we could hopefully mold.

I would have been fine with either of these 3. But to pass on Singleton? ODD in my book. Odd indeed.

Why?

Well, his bball intelligence and instinct aren't great. Not a great passer. Wont work the pick and roll. So he's not really a PG. He can't shoot (especially the 3) so he's not the ideal SG. So what is he?

He was a solid 3 year player for GA Tech, in the ACC. He is one of the more physically talented combo guards in this draft.

SO... can we help him him shoot better? Why not? But how long will that take. At the end of the day, he was on my list... so I'll stop making fun of him. He had a great game against UNC, and even against FLA St.

PLUS, this kid can rebound. So, he's sort of like a poor man's version of T-Evans.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I believe this pick was designed to acquire a player with the potential to guard Wade and Rose... after all we will probably be battling both CHI and MIA for years to come. He does not need to shoot since we have Melo and STAT and will have time to develop his jumper further. He can come in right away and provide intensity and energy on the defensive end. As I research him more and more I get less and less upset about this pick.