Hoping to lure JR back to NY by signing his brother Chris?

DrB

Benchwarmer
I probably shouldn't be talking about this right now since we're in the middle of the playoffs but I have a strange feeling the Knicks are going to pull some strings to get Chris Paul. If you look at the salaries on Hoops Hype its obvious that the Knicks are trying to get under the 74 Million dollar threshold to be able to do sign and trades. In order to get to that point, the Knicks need to let JR (approx. 3M$) go. JR has a lot of talent but he can be very inconsistent and unreliable. I don't think he has the desire or dedication to win the championship personally. I doubt JR is going to take that 3 Million player option and he will probably get offered much higher by a different team. Honestly, It's hard to imagine how it will all play out because a couple of the guys on the Knicks payroll are at the brink of retirement so the Knicks might let some guys go and resign JR to either keep or use as a bargaining chip. I think the Knicks will try to get Chris Paul this year or next year depending on what happens this offseason and once the Knicks have the main pieces (in this theoretical scenario), CP3, Melo, Stat, Tyson (Maybe), and Shump, we can add other cheaper pieces. If we keep Tyson, Chris Paul will have to accept less than a max deal this first year (approx. 2-3 Million). The team we have is awesome and I'm content with it but it's just this hunch that doesn't seem to go away about Chris Paul. Personally, I believe we can win the championship this year with Amare coming back and if he is 100%. I'm obviously not an expert with all the stipulations in trading so I know whoever reads this will take what I've said with a grain of salt, hopefully. I think Raymond Felton fits this team real well but if we don't win the championship, I have a feeling major changes are going to place because that's the urgent goal of the Knicks.
JR is "SICK" for game 3. Tranlation..he's pissed at WOODSON for publiclly embarrassing him and the PRESS for VILIFYING him. He will test the FREE AGENCY but his value has been reduced. For him to quit on the KNICKS here will not stand him in good stead with the KNICKS and so say goodbye to JR.

Paul1355

All Star
It's ridiculous that we have to sign Chris Smith who is a D league player at best, for J.R. If J.R wants to be here then he will stay here for cheaper. If he wants the money and starting role on a most likely worse team, then he should go for it. We need shooters at the 2 spot. J.R is good because he can rebound, play D and drive to the hoop. We need players that can help spread the floor so a knock down jump shooting 2 guard is fine with me. Similar to Jason Kidd when he was making shots.

If we lose Smith, it would stink but then we can use Copeland more.

NewYork

Benchwarmer
It's ridiculous that we have to sign Chris Smith who is a D league player at best, for J.R. If J.R wants to be here then he will stay here for cheaper. If he wants the money and starting role on a most likely worse team, then he should go for it. We need shooters at the 2 spot. J.R is good because he can rebound, play D and drive to the hoop. We need players that can help spread the floor so a knock down jump shooting 2 guard is fine with me. Similar to Jason Kidd when he was making shots.

If we lose Smith, it would stink but then we can use Copeland more.
Shump is already a legit SG with so little experience. I'm sure with some more work he will also become an offensive threat that'll be able to do similar things to JR like the qualities mentioned above but with more consistency. He's younger at that too, and less money.

NewYork

Benchwarmer
JR is "SICK" for game 3. Tranlation..he's pissed at WOODSON for publiclly embarrassing him and the PRESS for VILIFYING him. He will test the FREE AGENCY but his value has been reduced. For him to quit on the KNICKS here will not stand him in good stead with the KNICKS and so say goodbye to JR.
Really? I doubt that. JR is a grown man and Woody didn't seem to say those things with bad intentions. There is no reason to think JR is putting up an act like he's sick because of that. I think he really is sick and has a fever. I'd be surprised to think JR would do that, he deserves more respect than that.

skisloper

Starter
Really? I doubt that. JR is a grown man and Woody didn't seem to say those things with bad intentions. There is no reason to think JR is putting up an act like he's sick because of that. I think he really is sick and has a fever. I'd be surprised to think JR would do that, he deserves more respect than that.

Dude your giving JR too much credit.....Woodsons remarks is not what JR wants to hear.....He could not even deal with the negative tweets he gets from Knicks fans and usually answers in a childish way.......If his minutes are reduced he will be a total pain in the ass....

With that said I do not believe he would fake an illness to protest playing in a game....I do think if he is at all sick he will not step up to play in fear another crappy game will put him in the doghouse with less minutes,,,,,,

JR for the price the Knicks pay ( 3 times the amount of Nate Robinson ) is what makes sense for JR.......
Next year 4-5 per at best......anything more let him go he is a royal pain in the ass.

finestrg

Rotation player
Shump is already a legit SG with so little experience. I'm sure with some more work he will also become an offensive threat that'll be able to do similar things to JR like the qualities mentioned above but with more consistency. He's younger at that too, and less money.

I agree that Shump could eventually be as good a scoring threat as Smith and a better player overall...He already pretty much has better shot selection than Smith (most players do in fact) and I already think he has a better, more consistent shooting stroke. I actually think Shump's shooting form is downright flawless, esp. when he gets his feet set...And you can tell he's gaining a lot of confidence in his one-on-one game. To me, the only thing with Shump is being able to finish consistently at the rim. There have been times this year where he's been right there at the rim only to blow the finish, sometimes very awkwardly. He cleans that up and begins to finish better with more force (maybe it's a question of learning how to absorb contact better), he's an all-star in my book.

JR Smith -- don't even know what to say, man. I'll be very disappointed if he doesn't go tonight. Can't go crazy on him too bad though, I guess -- I've got a 4-yr-old home sick along with a wife who has a sinus infection and pink eye right now. :( If he's sick, he's sick. Nothing you can do about that if it's legit... But it's just a culmination right now with this guy -- the elbow to Terry, getting thrown out and the suspension; 2x going out late before games; the horrible shooting slump at the most important time of the year (and remember he was terrible last year during the playoffs too); and now he may not play with an "illness" (weird, right? I mean what's he got? The flu?? Then tell us he's got the flu! By not divulging, it makes it sound like the team and their doctors don't even have a clue what's wrong with him). Bottom line here is that this dude has cost himself millions this offseason with this whole stretch of questionable behavior and ineptitude. Still time to turn it around -- hopefully it's tonight. I'd take him back, even with this brutal slump, but if it didn't work out with us and JR next year, I wouldn't be that broken up about it, gotta be honest. If I were Grunwald, I'd actually look forward to the challenge of replacing him and as I've said on many other threads, I think we could do it on the cheap. Quite a few nice options out there:

Draft -
potential 1st round targets around 24 (guards): Erick Green, Sergey Karasev?

potential 2nd round targets if we could grab an extra pick: Reggie Bullock, Carrick Felix, Durand Scott, Dwayne Davis, maybe we even take a shot at this Ricky Ledo who just entered his name in the draft

Host of real solid, cheap FA alternatives: Jermaine Taylor, Jamelle Horne, Scotty Hopson, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Austin Freeman, Derrick Byars, Dominique Jones (just waived by Dallas), Chris Johnson (not the big from LSU -- the 6'6" wing from Dayton that had a cup of coffee with Memphis this year), Othyus Jeffers (loved him before he got hurt, fighting his way back now), DJ Kennedy, Travis Leslie, Lazar Hayward, Glen Rice Jr. (Shump's teammate at G-Tech), Lester Hudson...

All will not lost -- There will be options if JR bolts on us. I'd argue Erick Green + Jermaine Taylor = better than JR Smith for example.

NewYork

Benchwarmer
Dude your giving JR too much credit.....Woodsons remarks is not what JR wants to hear.....He could not even deal with the negative tweets he gets from Knicks fans and usually answers in a childish way.......If his minutes are reduced he will be a total pain in the ass....

With that said I do not believe he would fake an illness to protest playing in a game....I do think if he is at all sick he will not step up to play in fear another crappy game will put him in the doghouse with less minutes,,,,,,

JR for the price the Knicks pay ( 3 times the amount of Nate Robinson ) is what makes sense for JR.......
Next year 4-5 per at best......anything more let him go he is a royal pain in the ass.
For what JR brings to the table, he definitely deserves more than what he gets paid. He'll probably opt out of the contract for a little more than what you said we should bring him back for, IMO. And about JR copping out, I'm just saying this is the playoffs. This is what every basketball player dreamt of growing up. It just doesn't make any sense to me that anyone would throw a fit on the biggest stage of the game and a time as important as this. I definitely agree with you that he wouldn't play tonight to the detriment of the team. I also think he should take the night off if he can't contribute to the team because of his illness.

Last edited:

NewYork

Benchwarmer
I agree that Shump could eventually be as good a scoring threat as Smith and a better player overall...He already pretty much has better shot selection than Smith (most players do in fact) and I already think he has a better, more consistent shooting stroke. I actually think Shump's shooting form is downright flawless, esp. when he gets his feet set...And you can tell he's gaining a lot of confidence in his one-on-one game. To me, the only thing with Shump is being able to finish consistently at the rim. There have been times this year where he's been right there at the rim only to blow the finish, sometimes very awkwardly. He cleans that up and begins to finish better with more force (maybe it's a question of learning how to absorb contact better), he's an all-star in my book.

JR Smith -- don't even know what to say, man. I'll be very disappointed if he doesn't go tonight. Can't go crazy on him too bad though, I guess -- I've got a 4-yr-old home sick along with a wife who has a sinus infection and pink eye right now. :( If he's sick, he's sick. Nothing you can do about that if it's legit... But it's just a culmination right now with this guy -- the elbow to Terry, getting thrown out and the suspension; 2x going out late before games; the horrible shooting slump at the most important time of the year (and remember he was terrible last year during the playoffs too); and now he may not play with an "illness" (weird, right? I mean what's he got? The flu?? Then tell us he's got the flu! By not divulging, it makes it sound like the team and their doctors don't even have a clue what's wrong with him). Bottom line here is that this dude has cost himself millions this offseason with this whole stretch of questionable behavior and ineptitude. Still time to turn it around -- hopefully it's tonight. I'd take him back, even with this brutal slump, but if it didn't work out with us and JR next year, I wouldn't be that broken up about it, gotta be honest. If I were Grunwald, I'd actually look forward to the challenge of replacing him and as I've said on many other threads, I think we could do it on the cheap. Quite a few nice options out there:

Draft -
potential 1st round targets around 24 (guards): Erick Green, Sergey Karasev?

potential 2nd round targets if we could grab an extra pick: Reggie Bullock, Carrick Felix, Durand Scott, Dwayne Davis, maybe we even take a shot at this Ricky Ledo who just entered his name in the draft

Host of real solid, cheap FA alternatives: Jermaine Taylor, Jamelle Horne, Scotty Hopson, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Austin Freeman, Derrick Byars, Dominique Jones (just waived by Dallas), Chris Johnson (not the big from LSU -- the 6'6" wing from Dayton that had a cup of coffee with Memphis this year), Othyus Jeffers (loved him before he got hurt, fighting his way back now), DJ Kennedy, Travis Leslie, Lazar Hayward, Glen Rice Jr. (Shump's teammate at G-Tech), Lester Hudson...

All will not lost -- There will be options if JR bolts on us. I'd argue Erick Green + Jermaine Taylor = better than JR Smith for example.
Sorry to hear about your wife and kid, that's horrible. I wish them speed for their recovery. :D With the draft picks, it will definitely be interesting what Grunwald will do this off-season. I'm curious to see how he's going to manage the salary cap. JR will obviously opt out of the player option for more and I also think the Knicks will decline any other offer. It seems to me that JR knows he will be traded and something about what I've read in a different article makes it seem like Novak will be traded too. It's just a hunch but it feels like the Knicks will be trying to make a lot of room for a sign and trade this summer, if that's true, I'll be really curious to see who they're thinking about. The draft picks will probably also matter a lot for the Knicks but considering the direction the Knicks have been heading, I think they will use the picks as leverage for trades. Bluechox mentioned that a 3rd team is needed for a big name trade in Chris Paul, and like I said, I think we already have a championship* caliber team. The only way I see CP3 is coming is if Grunwald planned for this offseason or the next, last year, and also if CP3 made it clear that the only team he would want to be traded to is the Knicks. Then there would be a possibility that Grunwald would already have something planned via sign and trade , 3rd party, and draft picks. But then again Chris Paul would have to settle for less money the first year. I think it will be a high possibility for the big trade only if the Knicks make it to the finals make it to the 7th game of the Semi-Finals. Personally I think the Knicks can and will take it all. If its not Chris Paul, I just have this big hunch that the Knicks are going to sign a proven "big name" in the game today since it seems they don't want to take the time to develop young bloods for the title in the later years. (KG for a one year deal? HA! Probably not. Melo wouldn't like that.) The window of opportunity for winning the title for the Knicks is two more years after this one, IMO.

Last edited:

skisloper

Starter
For what JR brings to the table, he definitely deserves more than what he gets paid. He'll probably opt out of the contract for a little more than what you said we should bring him back for, IMO. And about JR copping out, I'm just saying this is the playoffs. This is what every basketball player dreamt of growing up. It just doesn't make any sense to me that anyone would throw a fit on the biggest stage of the game and a time as important as this. I definitely agree with you that he wouldn't play tonight to the detriment of the team. I also think he should take the night off if he can't contribute to the team because of his illness.

He has been playing the worst bball of his career........I am sure if he was on fire the last few games he would make a go of it...but since he has been off maybe its best if he is sick to be ready for Tuesday...especially if its the flu and it could catch up to the other players...

Yes he deserves more then he gets paid...But he is a high risk......Look at the Terry incident....and then out the night before a game.......Not the best influence u want......
I wonder what him and Pablo talk about

NewYork

Benchwarmer
He has been playing the worst bball of his career........I am sure if he was on fire the last few games he would make a go of it...but since he has been off maybe its best if he is sick to be ready for Tuesday...especially if its the flu and it could catch up to the other players...

Yes he deserves more then he gets paid...But he is a high risk......Look at the Terry incident....and then out the night before a game.......Not the best influence u want......
I wonder what him and Pablo talk about
Yeah I mean its hard not to go out and have fun in NY especially when the whole city is basically talking about you, and I totally agree that him partying in between these important games is unacceptable as a professional basketball player. You could have all the skills in the world but if your heart isn't in the right place, it really don't mean much. You can hurt the whole team by doing what you want to do. Have you heard about Lenny Cooke? I feel bad for the guy. During high school, he was the number one prospect in the same class of Lebron, Amare, and Carmelo. He was supposed to be the next best thing and had agents giving him money for him to spend like he already made it big time, when he was only in high school. That took away his focus from the game and even though he had the talent to be better than Lebron, his heart was in the wrong place and he took the wrong advice from people that weren't looking for his best interests. He ended up not getting drafted because many teams saw him as huge risk to the team game because of the question of his character. He played over seas and eventually got into and accident and also eventually blew out both his Achilles and now he's severely out of shape and his basketball future is over. Here's an awesome article on him. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/s...-to-be-who-never-was.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0Here are some clips I found.

Last edited:

NewYork

Benchwarmer
If you've read the article and watched the videos, my point is that JR has the talent to be a superstar like Lebron and Melo but he will never be because he doesn't have a champion's mentality. Champion's mentality allows the person to continue to get better and achieve his full potential by allowing him to put in his 110% effort not only on improving on the court but restraining himself from the pleasures off the court. Like my signature says, everyone want's the power of a champion but no one wants the pain.

skisloper

Starter
If you've read the article and watched the videos, my point is that JR has the talent to be a superstar like Lebron and Melo but he will never be because he doesn't have a champion's mentality. Champion's mentality allows the person to continue to get better and achieve his full potential by allowing him to put in his 110% effort not only on improving on the court but restraining himself from the pleasures off the court. Like my signature says, everyone want's the power of a champion but no one wants the pain.

And if the Queen had balls she would be the King