Jeffries will be missed........Out for the next few games.

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
This may come to no surprise to you but I just finisehd reading this article about Jeffries and how he helps our team. I thought it was cool to share. He's known not to be a stat guy but rather a guy who does everything else, here's a look at it.

CREDIT: ESPN

Today's Burning Question: How will Jared Jeffries' short-term absenceimpact the Knicks?

Against the Sixers Wednesday night, the Knicks' backup center aggravated his right knee, which caused him to miss four straight games in early March due to soreness, and he had to get it drained twice. Now, Jeffries will miss Friday night's game in Toronto and possibly Saturday as well, when the Knicks host the Pistons.

Here are three areas where the Knicks need Jeffries:

1.) Defensively. While the stats show that Jeffries' impact on defense hasn't been as significant during the Knicks' five-game winning streak, that's a big credit to the starters putting the clamp down earlier in the first quarter and maintaining that hold throughout the game. But the season numbers prove that Jeffries is a big part of what the Knicks do defensively, especially guarding the screener in pick-and-rolls and altering shots by the basket. Here's a breakdown:

Knicks With And Without Jeffries On The Court Per 48 Minutes This Season

With | Without

Defensive efficiency -- 95.0 | 99.6 (lower the better)
Opponents' field goal percentage -- 43.0 | 44.8
Opponents' effective field goal percentage -- 45.6 | 46.8
Opponents' turnover percentage -- 20.1 | 16.9 (higher the better)

Source: ESPN Stats & Info

2.) Offensive rebounding. In the last five games with Jeffries' on the court, the Knicks had a 34.8 offensive rebounding rate (compared to a 31.1 without hm). For the season, the Knicks have a slight advantage with Jeffries on the court (a 26.9 offensive rebounding rate vs. 26.6 when he's not in the game).

In the Knicks' last five games, the increased offensive rebounding has led to more second-chance scoring. Their 13.0 offensive boards per game (sixth-best in the NBA during that stretch) has ignited them to score 15.2 second-chance points per game (also sixth-best in the league). Jeffries is a great backup to Chandler because he maintains that same high level of aggressiveness as soon as he enters the game. Chandler and Jeffries are two of the most serious, no-nonsense guys on the team and it comes through in the way they play right away.

3.) Taking charges. Jeffries is far and away the best Knick at taking charges. He has 10 charges drawn on the season, while Chandler is second with three. Below are the top five leaders on the Knicks and a breakdown of the NBA's best in this category.

Knicks' Charges Drawn Leaders

10 -- Jared Jeffries
3 -- Tyson Chandler
2 -- Jeremy Lin
2 -- J.R. Smith
2 -- Amare Stoudemire

NBA Charges Drawn Leaders

29 -- DeMarcus Cousins (Kings)
18 -- Nick Collison (Thunder)
16 -- Marc Gasol (Grizzlies)
16 -- Jermaine O'Neal (Celtics)
15 -- Marcin Gortat (Suns)
14 -- Thaddeus Young (Sixers)
13 -- Udonis Haslem (Heat)
12 -- Ivan Johnson (Hawks)
12 -- Jason Maxiell (Pistons)
12 -- Markieff Morris (Suns)
12 -- Luis Scola (Rockets)
12 -- Marreese Speights (Grizzlies)
12 -- John Wall (Wizards)

Source: The Elias Sports Bureau

Where do you think Jeffries' absence will be felt the most looking ahead? Leave us your comments below.

TakMan

Rotation player
Well considering he's missing the game against the Raptors, and possibly that against Detroit........His absence shouldn't really make much of a difference.

rogeryy

Benchwarmer
Well considering he's missing the game against the Raptors, and possibly that against Detroit........His absence shouldn't really make much of a difference.

I certainly hope so. He's been doing well, especially defensively. And I just realized how important it (defense) is to the Knicks.

YuvalNYC

Rotation player
The charging fouls stats make sense.. he doesn't play as much as most of those players... they have way more minutes.

CoolClyde

sad to hear the mighty Giraffe is down, good chance for Bud Harrellson to get some run,
and perhaps a Jerome Jordan sighting? could be blessing in disguise.

giraffe_free.jpg

Kiyaman

Legend
This dont look good....if Jefferies is out more than 2 or 3 games....Jefferies has become
our meat & potatoes man for teammates to follow....Jefferies is quick to find our
oponents weakness plus force our oponent offense to go to their weakness.

Jefferies type of defensive experience is the highest on our team....yes, higher than
Tyson Chandler, thats why the "two" were the catalyst of Lin-Sanity 7-game win streak.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Before the season started I was one of many users who complained about resigning Jeffries in the offseason... but after I "talked" with him on a Knicks chat during the media day... I've become one the biggest fans of him. :D

We'll be fine. Woodson has a very good handle on the defence. He still managed to coach the team up without JJ and Chandler in the 4Q of the last game, I was very impressed with the outcome.

Woody seems very intune with the players and the flow of the game, i'm not worried at all. We are a very deep team and I'm sure adjustments will be made accordingly... as we continue to move forward making plenty of noise.

petescud

Starter
Jort needs to step up while the giraffe is out. I think we'll be fine cause this 3 game stretch isn't too bad. Hopefully he won't miss more then 5 games

LeFlume

All Star
Girafferies have drawn hundreds of charge but only ten have been called. He is an excellent junkyard dog :gony:

smokes

Huge Member
Girafferies have drawn hundreds of charge but only ten have been called. He is an excellent junkyard dog :gony:

Not likely mate, I've looked around for charges drawn stat and it's a very difficult one to track down, not one that anywhere really bothers to keep track of so very unreliable.

Well I watched the Nets @ Knicks game last night (first game of Linsanity) and JJ drew 3 charges alone in that game so 10 on the season seems near nonsense.