Stat have to leave?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I still want to see STAT succeed in New York. It's crazy to think he had a stretch where he was an MVP candidate.

Last season's lack of effort on defense was horrible though, but he's back to giving effort now. Hopefully there was something else going on with him (too much muscle gained in the off-season maybe, even though I doubt that would cause him to be that bad on defense).

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I can't see Dolan buying out Amare's $40M, it ain't gonna happen, especially since his contract would keep hurting our salary cap. If I was Amare though I'd be more than happy to be offered such a deal, getting paid some big bucks with an option to become the man on an other team? :lol:

LeFlume

All Star
RunningJumper;271627 [B said:
I still want to see STAT succeed in New York [/B]. It's crazy to think he had a stretch where he was an MVP candidate.

Last season's lack of effort on defense was horrible though, but he's back to giving effort now. Hopefully there was something else going on with him (too much muscle gained in the off-season maybe, even though I doubt that would cause him to be that bad on defense).

Me too, I hope STAT take the criticism personally and that he work his ass off this summer and come back and prove everyone wrong. Hakeem Olajuwon worked out with STAT in the off season. Maybe they can do that again..

Last edited:

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Me too, I hope STAT take the criticism personally and that he work his ass off this summer and come back and prove everyone wrong. Hakeem Olajuwon worked out with STAT in the off season. Maybe they can do that again..
I was thinking that too. He should take every chance he gets with him.

Rob Low

Rotation player
The thing about Amare is I respect and like him and there's nothing I would like more than to see him succeed here but after that last injury i've given up on him

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Fans forget that one of the reasons Melo landed here was because of the presence of Stats. Loyalty aside, buying him out doesn't make much sense. I get freeing up the cap space but there is not an abundance of dominate big men out there waiting to be signed.

Playing Melo at the PF position was a bad idea.
Sure it worked for a lot of games during the regular season, but Melo is not a post up player. Nether is Chandler. This is where a healthy Amare can be particularly useful. Maybe Amare is finished, but we should allow him one injury free season to see if the experiment works. As long as Melo isn't jacking up 40 shots per game there's no reason that they can't play together since Chandler doesn't need the ball to be effective, as long as he's not paying against a much younger and more athletic center.

I'm beginning to question Woody's judgement.
Good coach, no doubt. He bought the team further than we've been in 13 years. But giving the keys to JR is something that I don't get. Again, like letting Melo run wild at the PF position, it worked and the Knicks made a nice run out of it. But just because you can rob banks and get rich doesn't make it a good idea. One of Melo's gifts is he's an oversized small forward. Putting him up against larger, stronger PFs regularly took its toll.

I love the addition of Martin. Get him, Chandler and Shumpert on the floor at once seems like a great move defensively. JR reminds me of Jamal Crawford. Great shooter that sometimes makes poor decisions. If his time is limited he can be very effective. But you don't give him 34 mins per game and let him go 5 for 17. Woody should have pulled him after his 8th or 10th miss in a row.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Look I've said this 100x if Curry had Amare's work ethic dude would have been a Hall of Famer...there is so many cats that float in and out of this league that do not know how to work and they waste their careers. And Stat is a player who I respect so much, I have watched his documentary with my own son to illustrate how you go about achieving any goal you set out and my son has his S.T.A.T. book because again I respect what he's about so much

That all said...how many times are we to get amped off a video we see of him working out or an interview he's done stating he's "better than ever" or "stay tuned" when asked about is he ready to go and he is quickly injured again.

Do I blame him for injuries, no! Again this dude is a worker, he'd play if he could. Yet, I would not blame my barber if every time I showed up for a cut he had a family emergency, yet it would be dumb for me to count on him to be there each week right?

That's where we are with Stat, we know he's on the books for the next 2 years but we can't count on him and anything he gives us is a bonus. Does he have All Star talent, heck to the yeah! But it would be dumb to holdout for it!

I loved what he did off the bench this year and that may be our new expectation for him, I mean we should look at him a 6th man of the year potential not an All Star all NBAer... if we get that its a bonus but we can't rely on it

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Amar'e should be a 20 minute per night player. I think he's the type of guy who can score 15 points in 20 minutes as a go-top inside man since the Knicks do not have any low-post scoring whatsoever. As frustrating as it was to see Amar'e get hurt again this season, there's no denying that he made tremendous improvements to his post game during the off-season. He was one of the most efficient post players when he was healthy.

Ideally we would get a good veteran PF with a post game to go along side Melo at SF and Chandler at C (unfortunately Chandler does not offer us anything offensively) and have STAT being the primary option in the second unit with a guy like Prigioni.

Kiyaman

Legend
Did we forget ......

I recall a time when Kobe, Amare, and Melo were the NBA Top-3 high scorers ....
I also recall a time when Amare became our top-scorer (working-out with teammates in the Knicks practice facility in the offseason.).

Yes .. I do recall a tired exhausted Amare after 54 games (28-26) asking for a 2nd option on offense to help with the scoring in the 2010-11 season.
Be careful of what u ask for .. at the time Amare asked we were in desperate need of a scoring SG .. we were just getting by with a raw 2nd round draft pick rookie Landry Fields as our starting SG, with a 2nd season Toney Douglas as backup.
GS Ellis and Grizz OJ Mayo were on the trading-block at the time .. Deron Williams was also on the trading-block.

Owner James Dolan did another big transaction with the Denver Nuggets making the Melo-trade, Dolan didnt learn nothing from his last dealings in 2001 with the Nuggets by giving the Nuggets Camby & Nene for Mcdyess max contract who only played in 26 Knicks games in 3 seasons.

After the Melo trade we became a slow-ball ISO-system team shooting 30 or more 3-ball shots per game.
Do u recall ever seeing "Nash & Amare" run an ISO-play in their 6 seasons together in Phoenix???

HardFowl

Rookie
I think STAT could make a major comeback. He could have one of his rare healthy seasons, in the 2013-2014 season. If so, he could be a major contributor to a championship.

knicksince 93

Rotation player
I recall a time when Kobe, Amare, and Melo were the NBA Top-3 high scorers ....
I also recall a time when Amare became our top-scorer (working-out with teammates in the Knicks practice facility in the offseason.).

Yes .. I do recall a tired exhausted Amare after 54 games (28-26) asking for a 2nd option on offense to help with the scoring in the 2010-11 season.
Be careful of what u ask for .. at the time Amare asked we were in desperate need of a scoring SG .. we were just getting by with a raw 2nd round draft pick rookie Landry Fields as our starting SG, with a 2nd season Toney Douglas as backup.
GS Ellis and Grizz OJ Mayo were on the trading-block at the time .. Deron Williams was also on the trading-block.

Owner James Dolan did another big transaction with the Denver Nuggets making the Melo-trade, Dolan didnt learn nothing from his last dealings in 2001 with the Nuggets by giving the Nuggets Camby & Nene for Mcdyess max contract who only played in 26 Knicks games in 3 seasons.

After the Melo trade we became a slow-ball ISO-system team shooting 30 or more 3-ball shots per game.
Do u recall ever seeing "Nash & Amare" run an ISO-play in their 6 seasons together in Phoenix???

Explain to me how 2 people can run an iso play... That would be a pick and roll.... Stat def did iso in phoenix and he iso'd here in ny too. Not like melo does but your beloved role players are supposed to understand when his defender goes to double he cuts and melo will find you. If no one doubles melo takes it himself. Once he beats his initial defender then when the help defense comes he dishes it. He's willing to do all that but if our guards aren't cutting the whole system is jacked up... How many times has kidd cut through when his man doubled melo? Zero

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

nyk_nyk

All Star
STAT isn't going anywhere. WE all know that. IF he is healthy next season, then Woody will have to fit him into the starting lineup. I doubt Dolan wants a player averaging 20 min while making $20 MIL. Amare is just a sad story but hopefully we can get something out of him since he is clogging up the cap.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
Fans forget that one of the reasons Melo landed here was because of the presence of Stats. Loyalty aside, buying him out doesn't make much sense. I get freeing up the cap space but there is not an abundance of dominate big men out there waiting to be signed.

Playing Melo at the PF position was a bad idea.
Sure it worked for a lot of games during the regular season, but Melo is not a post up player. Nether is Chandler. This is where a healthy Amare can be particularly useful. Maybe Amare is finished, but we should allow him one injury free season to see if the experiment works. As long as Melo isn't jacking up 40 shots per game there's no reason that they can't play together since Chandler doesn't need the ball to be effective, as long as he's not paying against a much younger and more athletic center.

I'm beginning to question Woody's judgement.
Good coach, no doubt. He bought the team further than we've been in 13 years. But giving the keys to JR is something that I don't get. Again, like letting Melo run wild at the PF position, it worked and the Knicks made a nice run out of it. But just because you can rob banks and get rich doesn't make it a good idea. One of Melo's gifts is he's an oversized small forward. Putting him up against larger, stronger PFs regularly took its toll.

I love the addition of Martin. Get him, Chandler and Shumpert on the floor at once seems like a great move defensively. JR reminds me of Jamal Crawford. Great shooter that sometimes makes poor decisions. If his time is limited he can be very effective. But you don't give him 34 mins per game and let him go 5 for 17. Woody should have pulled him after his 8th or 10th miss in a row.

Agreed 100%, Melo playing the 4 was a huge mistake. Woodson was playing the regular season instead of developing playoff scenarios. It's nice to win and get a good seeding, but not at the expense of exposing your weaknesses which was rebounding. Does that mean you go with KMart/Copeland or outside the organization for a legit 4. Either way that needs to be addressed, going with a more standard lineup with Felton and Shump in the backcourt. Don't know how the 4 spot will be addressed without the MLE, assuming that goes to JR on his reported 4 year deal.

BananaSauce

Benchwarmer
stat likes to chase that unicorn. he's got to play and think like this guy
stat needs to become a defensive and rebound monster is the only way the big 3 can coexist. that dream shake wont help the chemistry.