Rubio to New York is real?

metrocard

Legend
Speaking of agents: You've already heard about Dan Fegan issuing his Ricky Rubio warning. If the Spanish teen doesn't like his top 5 landing spot, he's staying home. Paying $6 million for the privilege of landing in Tennessee or Oklahoma isn't worth it, the story goes.

But we've heard this proviso from a few GMs in the last week: If Rubio gets a guarantee that he'll land in New York, he'll grab it with both hands even if the Knicks (picking 8th) don't have to move into the top 5 to get him.

Basically Rubio will not go to another teams in the top 5....but we have Golden State infront of us...but I don't know.

Remember Yi from two years? Yi had no where else to go but the NBA, he was forced to play with the Bucks.

Rubio has a place to go, he has the money, fame and success in Spain. Rubio has to pay 6 million to come play for Memphis or OKC. Makes no sense for him. Better off in Espana.

I can only see Rubio agreeing to play for the Wizards or Golden State...which are #5 and #7.
Any other team is wasting their pick since he'll be another Fran Vasquez.
Its better for them to not draft Rubio and actually use their pick on a player that will give them service.
No team will risk taking him now since the word is out.

I see Rubio falling to Golden State most likely...hopefully GS passes on him =\

metrocard

Legend
If Walsh was a smart FO (which he isn't), he would realize that the chance to ever see Rubio in a Grizzlie's uniform is close to 0%. the Grizzlies have a very bad reputation in Spain, the market is small and the whole franchise is pathetic.

Rubio's camp will never risk such a situation. he will just withdraw. or stay in Europe for some years. This doesn't mean the Grizzlies should pass on Rubio and take Thabet. They would be in position for a nice deal, if they can accept the situation.

Knicks have an option:
a S&T with David Lee plus the#8 pick plus Chandler for #2 and Marc Gasol. something like that.

metrocard

Legend
word is Rubio doesn't like Memphis because he has already talked to Pau and Juan Carlos Navarro both of whom had bad things to say about the organization.

Here are some of the quotes:

From what we can gather, Rubio is most certainly going to want to have a large say in the team that drafts him, and if he?s not satisfied with where he lands, he may just decide not to ever come over, which would obviously be a huge embarrassment for the team that picks him. He is in a great situation with his hometown team outside of Barcelona, and it wouldn?t make sense to leave there for anything less than the perfect spot from his standpoint.

?The bottom line here is that Ricky has a large buyout?5.75 million Euros, both for this year and the year after. Depending on the team that selects him, he?s going to make a decision on whether he comes over or not. If he?s not satisfied, there is a very real possibility that he doesn?t come. His buyout is going to cost him a lot of money, and if it doesn?t make sense for him, he won?t do it. He is going to have to pay for the privilege of playing in the NBA?

According to the source, Rubio?s decision is going to come down to two things: winning and the role he?ll play for the team that picks him. The size of the market of the team that drafts him is apparently irrelevant, since his appeal will be on a global scale, reaching far past his team?s city limits.

With that in mind, it appears that the Memphis Grizzlies will have to make a very strong sales pitch to Rubio for him to move off his initial stance of not wanting to play for them. Rubio?s concerns stem from a number of factors, ranging from the potential poor fit of playing alongside a very ball-dominant guard in O.J. Mayo, to the negative experiences conveyed to him by the likes of Juan Carlos Navarro and Pau Gasol.

LOIOSH30

Benchwarmer
If Walsh was a smart FO (which he isn't), he would realize that the chance to ever see Rubio in a Grizzlie's uniform is close to 0%. the Grizzlies have a very bad reputation in Spain, the market is small and the whole franchise is pathetic.

Rubio's camp will never risk such a situation. he will just withdraw. or stay in Europe for some years. This doesn't mean the Grizzlies should pass on Rubio and take Thabet. They would be in position for a nice deal, if they can accept the situation.

Knicks have an option:
a S&T with David Lee plus the#8 pick plus Chandler for #2 and Marc Gasol. something like that.

Considering Memphis's lack of leaverage, I don't think we would need to give up Will in that deal. I don't think Memphis would be that quick to give Gasol away either...How about Lee and the #8 for the #2 and Darko, we know D'antoni and Walsh have interest in Darko, and I don't think he's in Memphis's plans...What do you think?

ANU

Starter
I'm tired of rubio.would love to have him, but throwing the kitchen sink for him is stupid. maybe the 8th and chandler, but the 8th, chandler and lee? hell no.they're not giving us gasol..

metrocard

Legend
I'm tired of rubio.would love to have him, but throwing the kitchen sink for him is stupid. maybe the 8th and chandler, but the 8th, chandler and lee? hell no.they're not giving us gasol..

You never seen Rubio play. So why you hating? Rubio actually has a resume, unlike unproven raw guards like Jennings, Holiday, DeRozan.

Rubio is worth more than this entire roster combined, so its actually pretty logical.

Gasol doesn't like Memphis...the Grizzlies are very hated in Spain.

ANU

Starter
you're right.i haven't.i don't have the gold medal game saved to my hard drive.i don't have the link to joventut at the acb website.joventut is the only team of that league i pay attention to(they got eliminated by real madrid may 23 by the way).

first off lee would refuse to a sign and trade ... remember he wants to avoid memphis at all costs... there is pretty much no way for us to get gasol when he is their only real center... and i would never give up two of our very few developing talents for an unsure prospect... and im aware he has a resume but we need to build a quality team overall.... chandler, lee, and galinari (hopefully) are young talent that can change the outlook of the team over time... a few more key elemts are needed but soon this team will be very appetizing for a star to come in and lead a young core of players. the only way we should give up more than one of these players is if we unload curry and jeffries... i would rather utilize nate in a sign and trade before wil and lee nates time in ny is numbered in my mind... cant run the point and too small for a sg
if lee and chandler is what it takes to get the number 2 pick im quite fine with curry flynn or holiday

ANU

Starter
first off lee would refuse to a sign and trade ... remember he wants to avoid memphis at all costs... there is pretty much no way for us to get gasol when he is their only real center... and i would never give up two of our very few developing talents for an unsure prospect... and im aware he has a resume but we need to build a quality team overall.... chandler, lee, and galinari (hopefully) are young talent that can change the outlook of the team over time... a few more key elemts are needed but soon this team will be very appetizing for a star to come in and lead a young core of players. the only way we should give up more than one of these players is if we unload curry and jeffries... i would rather utilize nate in a sign and trade before wil and lee nates time in ny is numbered in my mind... cant run the point and too small for a sg
if lee and chandler is what it takes to get the number 2 pick im quite fine with curry flynn or holiday
he didn't a want to go to memphis last year.we would have had both gallo and mayo.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
You never seen Rubio play. So why you hating? Rubio actually has a resume, unlike unproven raw guards like Jennings, Holiday, DeRozan.

Rubio is worth more than this entire roster combined, so its actually pretty logical.

Gasol doesn't like Memphis...the Grizzlies are very hated in Spain.

A yo, Metro, you need to forget about Rubio and check out the breakthrough pick that I've posted in this forum. I think he/she is going to take us to the next level: championship contention, not just playoffs.

I think he/she is a true blue chipper, who's currently getting Dikembe Mutumbo and GOAT comparisons.

blue-chip.jpg
l_a1a2a0441a7d9030ee601bdb46b4954b.jpg

ANU

Starter
memphis wanted lee last year for mayo.give them chandler and money for rubio.i'd do that.a rubio,curry/holiday back court would be great.

metrocard

Legend
A yo, Metro, you need to forget about Rubio and check out the breakthrough pick that I've posted in this forum. I think he/she is going to take us to the next level: championship contention, not just playoffs.

I think he/she is a true blue chipper, who's currently getting Dikembe Mutumbo and GOAT comparisons.

blue-chip.jpg
l_a1a2a0441a7d9030ee601bdb46b4954b.jpg

That prospect looks like my drug dealer from the Heights.
Juanito Paulino.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Rubio

TunerAddict is correct. We cannot use Lee to move up in the draft. However, we could sign and trade him after July for rights to Rubio.

The Collective Bargaining Agreement prohibits no trade provisions. If Lee gets an offer, we can match it and then trade him. Lee will not control where he will end up as long as he is a "restricted" free agent. Last year his agent simply told Memphis that he would become a free agent rather than sign with them.

As for moving up, our only chip is Chandler and the 8th pick. Gallinari will not be traded even though he has yet to prove anything. I would hate to lose Chandler and I am beginning to like Curry. Nonetheless, I see Memphis taking Thabeet. Rubio is not going to make it to the 8th pick and he will not make enough as an eighth pick to buy out his contract. If we get him, it will either be by moving up or trading for his rights after the draft when will will have Nate and Lee as sign and trade assets.

JayJ44

Starter
We can't trade Lee...I mean we physically can't. He isn't signed and cannot be until after the draft.

But we can make an agreement with a team to sign him, then trade him whenever possible. For example, Memphis picks Rubio, then we pick whoever Memphis wants at 8. Whenever we can sign Lee, we do, then trade him along with the #8 pick, to Memphis for Rubio, and any other fill ins.

The only concern with this is that we would have trust the Memphis GM not to be a dick, and refuse to trade for the player we picked for them. Stuff like this is pretty common in the league, so I think this is a viable option.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Rubio seems worth it to me. He's the perfect match for D'Antoni's system and the direction he wants to take the Knicks.

Either trade Chandler and the #8 pick to get him, or just trade the #8 pick and Eddy Curry for an expiring contract. I only see good 6th men available at the 8th spot. The entire Knicks roster is really good 6th men.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Somethings we all seem to be forgetting

Memphis does not have to draft Rubio at all thus giving them the upper hand any deal with the Knicks. Right now if I'm Memphis I ask the Knicks for Wilson (who really they don't need because of Gay) this year's pick and a unprotected 2012 pick, which doesnt sound like much until you consider that like any other rookie before him, there is a chance Rubio could be a bust. Just think if a team gave that much up to draft Millic,Bargani or Oden.
Now Rubio is the better player (and we all know the mantra of any sports draft) but the Grizz could for sure use Thabeet and since they have Conley they can live with not having Rubio if they fill a need at the Center postion. Again my point is, they don't need to make a deal w/ us, we need one with them!

I also heard that Rubio would want to play for The Kings, which makes it even more impossible to think he falls to NY. Now I made a thread ealier saying that if Rubio refused to go to anywhere but NY then we would have a legit shot at him, I think if we can work him out, bring to the City to meet Mike and Donnie, and I am certain he and Gallo have respect for each other, plus Dolan offers to drop a couple million towards his buyout from Spain, which makes up for the pay he loses in dropping six spots back then we could get him to sing that tune of NY or Bust. Again it would be dumb for another team to draft a player with the option to not play for you.

Also....I think someone has already made this point, but here it is again....we can not trade David Lee or Nate. there is no possible way they get dealt on Draft Night, it would be really nice if we could, because Lee and the number 8 could move us up to grab Rubio, but it is not possible!

Now could The Grizz draft Rubio with the idea they are trading him in a few days? well in theory yes, but it would be the dumbest move ever considering once they have used the pick on Rubio they are now stuck with a player who does not want to be with them and another team could exploit that.

metrocard

Legend
If Walsh fails to obtain Rubio just like he failed to obtain Mayo...he has failed this franchise completely.

Gallinari - Hedo
Holiday - Hughes
Curry - Bibby
DeRozan - Felipe Lopez

at best cases.

These guys aren't really players you build around, mostly players you build with.

Enjoy the mediocrity, guys.

i cant wait to see one of those guys turn into a legit player... how can you just name 4 players like that and say they will all be busts... one is a lights out shooter who impressed everyone with his knowledge and athleticism... another is a very large point guard who is very athletic and surprised everyone with his shooting while derozen is the best athlete in this draft other than maybe griffin... they all have the tools to succeed one way or another and you just write them off like they will all suck... how many people gave guys like milsap or bynum or wade even chances
not many and they got picked late and they turned into good players.... there will be more than two stars or at least very good players out of this draft there always are... i see you are dead set on rubio and thats fine he will probably be a good player because he brings alot to the table but be a little more open minded... give these guys a chance many gm's have curry and holiday ranked as high as 4th pick in the draft so they apparently have done something right ...
also i dont understand why you hate walsh so much... he was here one yr and in that time he picked an athletic 6'10 guy who is versatile and a lights out shooter... a controversial pick that could be great in a few yrs or a bust fine what ever... but then he got rid of bums like crawford and randolph while cutting our salary massively now he is looking to get a second pick to either put to use or to package to trade down ... the dude is making an effort to rebuild the team with cheap young talent which is the right thing to do it will take time but atleast he is not get overpaid old talent like the steve francis' give walsh and these draft picks a chance dont write them off this early...
im aware if you have a chance to get rubio you look into it but these guys may be good as well ... we work them all out next week so by then we will know what they can bring to the table a little bit more ... until then relax with the awful comparisons and saying walsh is a failure after what were some decent moves to make us younger and cheaper