Carmelo Anthony, the new Glenn Robinson.

KingCharles34

All Star
Actually, has Wade surpassed Iverson yet? Iverson carried a 76ers team that had very little talent all the way to the Finals. Sometimes championships are overrated.

Shaq, Antoine Walker, Posey, Zo > Iversons supporting cast

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
Totally agree. West is a legend during his time and a true team player who made all his teammates looked great!

1. Jordan (without a doubt)
2. West (close call between him and Kobe. One of the most clutch players in playoffs.)
3. Kobe (another legend in his time)
4. Gervin (distance 4th, he was cold as Ice)
5. Iverson (close 5th)

Not trying to hate on West and I understand he is a legend, but look at some footage from his day. The game was far different back than, people were less athletic, not as quick and the game is far more advanced now. West was a great player for his time but his game would not translate well into the game today. For example he would dribble with his right hand and move toward the left side of the court. (watch footage of Knicks/Lakers game 7 of the 1970 finals)

1. Jordan
2. Kobe
3. I have no idea. Give me a day to think about it.

Last edited:

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer
Not trying to hate on West and I understand he is a legend, but look at some footage from his day. The game was far different back than, people were less athletic, not as quick and the game is far more advanced now. West was a great player for his time but his game would not translate well into the game today. For example he would dribble with his right hand and move toward the left side of the court.

1. Jordan
2. Kobe
3. I have no idea. Give me a day to think about it.
That's the beauty of human evolution. It's like questioning if children born of any century will be able to adapt to today's society. Of course they will. Ppl evolve and adapt to whatever environment they are in.
If West was a legend in his time. he will be one in today too. Bball had evolved and so had the players. Comparing players from diffferent era's side by side doesnt really do justice.

fender0577

Rotation player
  1. Jordan
  2. Kobe
  3. West
  4. Wade
  5. Iverson
I usually don't rank old timers that high, because the game has evolved so much, Bigger and faster players, but i just checked WEST STATS, and my god the man averaged over 40PPG in the playoffs one year, and not just one round, but the whole playoffs.

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer
  1. Jordan
  2. Kobe
  3. West
  4. Wade
  5. Iverson
I usually don't rank old timers that high, because the game has evolved so much, Bigger and faster players, but i just checked WEST STATS, and my god the man averaged over 40PPG in the playoffs one year, and not just one round, but the whole playoffs.
There was one old timer who not only can play in this era, but in his prime, he would still dominate the league--7' 1" Wilt Chamberlain.
- vertical jump 40"
- ran 440 at 49 sec, 880 at 1:49
- soft touches and a great jump shooter
Just a complete 7-foot athlete who still holds the single game record of 100 points.

Last edited:

KingCharles34

All Star
Wilt wouldnt score 100 points if he played today...

Old school ballers are overrated, i hate talkin hoops with old folks

Yea, the stars could play now but most of the role players back then would be useless garbage today, not even d leaguers

fender0577

Rotation player
Id like to see a prime West average more then 40 a game in the regular season now
Oh did i mention their was no 3 point line.It's hard to drop 40 in one game, but to average that in the playoffs for 11 games is amazing.

Yea, the stars could play now but most of the role players back then would be useless garbage today, not even d leaguers
While i agree with you that a lot of the old school ballers are overrated,Wilt, West, kareem, Russell, and a few more, could certainly play and thrive today, they were that good.

KingCharles34

All Star
Oh did i mention their was no 3 point line.It's hard to drop 40 in one game, but to average that in the playoffs for 11 games is amazing.

While i agree with you that a lot of the old school ballers are overrated,Wilt, West, kareem, Russell, and a few more, could certainly play and thrive today, they were that good.

Thats impressive that West averaged 40 a game in the playoffs without a 3 point line. However, no way he would do that now. I dont think anyone could

And I acknowledged the stars from back then could still play now, they'd be stars today. But not as big of stars

p0nder

Starter
KingStarbury are you for real man? Do you honestly not think that anyone built like a Dikembe Mutombo or Hakeem would not be a superstar in this era?? Wilt Chamberlain might not score a 100 points because of he competitiveness of the league now, but he would still dominate.

The human body is still the human body, we haven't evolved over the last 50 years to be physically different. While the game has seen many changes the 48 minutes, the 10 ft hoop and the basics of game play have been there for about 100 years. If you could put the ball in the hoop in 1970 you can do it in 1985 and 2015.

Cuckoo

Benchwarmer

Not trying to make an argument here but if Kobe can score 81, I dont see Wilt cant score at least that.

I just like to study the great players in NBA history. But Wilt was really a freak of natural at 7'1". Just to give you an idea.

Lebron is the fastest player in NBA, clock at 4.3 sec 40.
Wilt, at 27, clocked at 4.6 40, bare footed.

World record for 440 is 44.58
Wilt 440 was 49

Sometimes I imagine if someone like Wilt were to come out of college next year, half the teams in the league wouldve prob tanked this season.

I don?t think many of the pro?s in those days will be pros today. The game is way more athletic now. Most players in the league play like the greats of yester year simply because they?ve modeled some of their game after them. Kobe for instance, he can look like MJ at times?I even saw him wagging his tongue a few times when driving to the hoop?.and Jordan used to watch Dr.J when he was coming up. The game has gotten more complex due to the ever evolving abilities of athletes. They even train more effectively due to advance technology.

If you put Lebron in a time machine and send him back in time? he will grab a few rings with no problem. IMO, Wilt is the exception; he is one of the oldies that would be able to stand the test of time.

TBH, comparing the athletes of yester years to the athletes of the present really isn?t fair. The people in sports today are bigger, taller, stronger, faster, and more knowledgeable. Yes, evolution is in play. Do you honestly think you can take the football players of today and put them in pigskin helmets? You think we have injury issues now?just imagine that.

KingCharles34

All Star
KingStarbury are you for real man? Do you honestly not think that anyone built like a Dikembe Mutombo or Hakeem would not be a superstar in this era?? Wilt Chamberlain might not score a 100 points because of he competitiveness of the league now, but he would still dominate.

The human body is still the human body, we haven't evolved over the last 50 years to be physically different. While the game has seen many changes the 48 minutes, the 10 ft hoop and the basics of game play have been there for about 100 years. If you could put the ball in the hoop in 1970 you can do it in 1985 and 2015.

All I said was they wouldnt be as good as they were back then, but Mutombo and Hakeem played in a more similar era to now then Wilt did.

And yea, the human body might not be any different but the average player is stronger and way more athletic now then they were 50 years ago. These athletes train way harder

When Wilt played there were 6'7 centers, that was common.

Not trying to make an argument here but if Kobe can score 81, I dont see Wilt cant score at least that.

I just like to study the great players in NBA history. But Wilt was really a freak of natural at 7'1". Just to give you an idea.

Lebron is the fastest player in NBA, clock at 4.3 sec 40.
Wilt, at 27, clocked at 4.6 40, bare footed.

World record for 440 is 44.58
Wilt 440 was 49

Sometimes I imagine if someone like Wilt were to come out of college next year, half the teams in the league wouldve prob tanked this season.

He was an amazing athlete but there were only one or two teams that could guard him. He could do whatever he wanted to against any other team, he coulda scored 100 points more then once back then if he wanted too. When Kobe dropped 81 he was hittin 3's and free throws. Wilt, im sure he'd get fouled alot but would he hit any 3 pointers?

Either way that dont matter, he could score alot if he played now but not 100 points. They didnt really start playing much defense until the mid to late 70's when it became popular to have an enforcer on your team. After that the game got very physical for about a decade and a half or 2 decades. Its still more physical now then it was for part of Wilts career, the players are taller, bigger, stronger, faster, and more athletic. If they let these guys play more physical it'd only lead to more injuries

metrocard

Legend
My bad I mean Jerry West. LOL. Anyway that is my bad. I gave u my opinion and I said that Wade is 5th and u think he is 3rd best. Don't attack me, jeez I type one wrong name and u think I am a retard. SMH. Don't attack people just because they have a different opinion then you.

Relax.

West is > Wade Metro.

I'd go:

Jordan
Bryant
West
Wade
Frazier

Frazier was a PG, he played some SG, but mostly PG.

Its all opinion. I rather take Wade over West. West accomplished alot because I'm basing this on head to head attributes, Wade is just a more advanced prototype.

West is great though, but Wade is a special type of player who wont be appreciate till he retires.

metrocard

Legend
I'm pretty sure 99% of this forum would agree that I know atleast 150% more than you...even after this thread where I raised up unchallenged points and I clearly stated I support Melo and I used this thread to rally for Melo after his poor play. No one was surprised to see Melo play like this. He did PLAY like Glen Robinson, now he plays like Melo.

Rob, like I said, if you jinx Melo, good bye.

CoolClyde

I'm pretty sure 99% of this forum would agree that I know atleast 150% more than you...even after this thread where I raised up unchallenged points and I clearly stated I support Melo and I used this thread to rally for Melo after his poor play. No one was surprised to see Melo play like this. He did PLAY like Glen Robinson, now he plays like Melo.

Rob, like I said, if you jinx Melo, good bye.

thus spake metromod