There's No Defense For Mike D'Antoni.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
Regardless of wehter this guy is a good writer or not you cannot deny the facts. D`Antoni is a moron who has to go.

The same plays over and over again. No D, no rebounding, stupid rotations, the list is endless.

I cannoy understand why any Knicks fan is still standing up for no D-Toni. I can only assume that they don`t actually watch Knicks games.

If we keep no D-Toni next season will be exactly the same as this.

GET HIM OUT NOW !!

shaolin

Benchwarmer
Nothing Stephen A. Smith has ever written is a must read. He's a moron known for overreacting...I thought he was funny 8 years ago when he would make an ass of himself on television screaming about Allen Iverson. Now that I have grown up past my teens, I realize he's just a raving lunatic.

I normally would agree with you, but Stephen A Smith hit the bullseye with this article. There are many so-called experts and NBA analysts that are divided in the "should D'Antoni go" debate. And he tends to go overboard, but I agree with him wholeheartedly. D'Antoni's coaching style is not suited for the NBA at all. Why prolong the inevitable and keep D'Antoni for another year because he didn't have a full roster.

I was actually secretly hoping for blowout loses so that D'Antoni could be on the hot seat. And now that he is, I hope that some coach, like Jerry Sloan, who is an absolute basketball genius, emerges as a frontrunner as the new Knicks coach.

goldenchild1688

Benchwarmer
Regardless of wehter this guy is a good writer or not you cannot deny the facts. D`Antoni is a moron who has to go.

The same plays over and over again. No D, no rebounding, stupid rotations, the list is endless.

I cannoy understand why any Knicks fan is still standing up for no D-Toni. I can only assume that they don`t actually watch Knicks games.

If we keep no D-Toni next season will be exactly the same as this.

GET HIM OUT NOW !!
co-sign

who cares about whether you respect Stephen as a writer or not.

Whether or not the points he made have been heard before doesnt matter, what does matter is they hold true and have once again been shown in this playoff series. In addition we now have players expressing the same sentiments. That was the entire point of the article. The problems are prevalent and frustrating the players on this team.

The point is Mike who is supposedly a great offfensive coach cant even put together a game plan that isn't easily figured out by the opposition, and when said game plan is he is unable to make the necessary adjustments.

We all know about his inability to teach defense. Stat pointed out months ago he didn't learn defense until he was coached by someone else. there's an old adage in sports that defense wins championships and it holds true. If hes struggling to put together a proper game plan on offense in addition to his inability to teach defense its time to move on. We can't keep wasting our players primed years with a flawed system

Scipio

Benchwarmer
co-sign

who cares about whether you respect Stephen as a writer or not.

Whether or not the points he made have been heard before doesnt matter, what does matter is they hold true and have once again been shown in this playoff series. In addition we now have players expressing the same sentiments. That was the entire point of the article. The problems are prevalent and frustrating the players on this team.

The point is Mike who is supposedly a great offfensive coach cant even put together a game plan that isn't easily figured out by the opposition, and when said game plan is he is unable to make the necessary adjustments.

We all know about his inability to teach defense. Stat pointed out months ago he didn't learn defense until he was coached by someone else. there's an old adage in sports that defense wins championships and it holds true. If hes struggling to put together a proper game plan on offense in addition to his inability to teach defense its time to move on. We can't keep wasting our players primed years with a flawed system

Best post I`ve seen on here for a long while. You have pointed out the things that lovers of no D-Toni just are too blind to see.

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
Jeff Van Gundy needs to come back. No other coach but JVG, with Pat as our assistant. It would be like going home, for everyone but 'Antoni.

They just don?t know how to win, which, of course, is a direct reflection of the head coach. MDA's coaching style of ?we?re going to do everything possible to push tempo and outscore you? is a fun system that produces excitement and some regular season wins.

But, in a league where you simply cannot win without consistent defense, MDA needs to be fired in order for us to ever win a championship.

Winning games in the playoffs is predicated off of half-court execution and defense. All Boston did was not allow our players to run.

The C's made them play in a slow game, in which they can't win in.

The C?s did what every good team in the playoffs has always done to D?Antoni teams.. make them play defense.

KBlack25

Starter
I normally would agree with you, but Stephen A Smith hit the bullseye with this article. There are many so-called experts and NBA analysts that are divided in the "should D'Antoni go" debate. And he tends to go overboard, but I agree with him wholeheartedly. D'Antoni's coaching style is not suited for the NBA at all. Why prolong the inevitable and keep D'Antoni for another year because he didn't have a full roster.

I was actually secretly hoping for blowout loses so that D'Antoni could be on the hot seat. And now that he is, I hope that some coach, like Jerry Sloan, who is an absolute basketball genius, emerges as a frontrunner as the new Knicks coach.

So you were hoping our team got embarrassed in the first round? Some fan you are...

The point I was making was that this article didn't merit its own topic when there are thousands of others on here where it could have fit. In fact, no Stephen A. Smith article that is boring and uninteresting (like this one, and all the ones he writes) deserves its own thread, unless he brings something new to the table (which is never).

This topic clearly was posted (as the OP has clearly done within 3 replies on this thread) for Red to continue jacking himself off, as he does frequently on this site.

Nothing Stephen A. has brought to the table, in this or in any article, has in any way changed or made me reconsider my opinion (and I think that's the same with everyone else on here). Thus, this thread will just become a rehash of the same exact things that have been reiterated over and over and over again on this website.

Knowing that we are in a rebuilding stage, Aaannnnnnddd... If I knew we were going to get swept... I probably would of settle for a higher draft pick before a post season appearance...

The good thing was coach's obvious flaws were exposed. So I'm expecting (atleast) that aspect of the game will be addressed and retified. We don't just be chanting that shit for our health you know...

Paul1355

All Star
Nothing Stephen A. Smith has ever written is a must read. He's a moron known for overreacting...I thought he was funny 8 years ago when he would make an ass of himself on television screaming about Allen Iverson. Now that I have grown up past my teens, I realize he's just a raving lunatic.

Steven A is obnoxious but he is a good basketball analyst. He just makes strong opinions but he made predictions that came true and I agree with his assessment of Mike D.

Mike D might teach defense but he can't get it across to his players to play defense at a decent level consistently. Which means that he really has no defensive scheme. And frankly it tells me that nomatter what lineup whether it's in Phoenix, our bad knick team for 2 years, and this new team...his teams don't play defense and since he has been here we have always had energy problems with players.

So either he is tiring players out, which i doubt because they are exceptional NBA athletes, or the players don't care enough or buy into his system enough to trust him and bust their ass every night. That is a red flag which means that Donnie should REALLY consider a new coach.

But I know this won't happen.

The stars are aligned for the Knicks to drag out stupidity and waste another year with Mike D as coach.

We can't waste time with Amare and Melo in their prime but NY has had a curse over them since the year 2000 hit....i wish it was the early 90's again...even the 70's atleast we could execute back then.

The fact that Mike D is one of the worst coaches I have ever seen execute last minute plays tells me he can't adjust to games.

He has a plan and it has to go according to his plan or everything goes haywire.

He loves his short rotations which hurt us in the long run, having players speak for him to show leadership, expect players to just know defense without being taught it in practice, expect players to make every shot when you don't utilize screens or have more set plays, just being naive is what he is.

We need a new coach.

KBlack25

Starter
Steven A is obnoxious but he is a good basketball analyst. He just makes strong opinions but he made predictions that came true and I agree with his assessment of Mike D.

Disagree.

You might agree with his opinion. But he masks his elementary and pretty simplistic opinions with strong, aggressive language. He never brings any sort of interesting insight, his shtick is taking an opinion anyone could have, and citing in support of his opinion the reasons that anyone can see, but using aggressive verbiage to make himself sound more knowledgeable than he is.

tiger0330

Legend
Yeah, he does have the inside track with the players and it was interesting to hear there is some dissension on the team. Wonder who that unnamed player was who said "he's never seen anything like this before".

I think you're right Paul, D'Antoni gets to coach another year but he will be on a short leash. He's a losing streak and a MSG chant of "fire D'Antoni" away from losing his job, his shortcomings are pretty obvious.

Disagree.

You might agree with his opinion. But he masks his elementary and pretty simplistic opinions with strong, aggressive language. He never brings any sort of interesting insight, his shtick is taking an opinion anyone could have, and citing in support of his opinion the reasons that anyone can see, but using aggressive verbiage to make himself sound more knowledgeable than he is.

I dont understand whats so difficult about having an opinion about basketball. Elementary? He doesnt bring anything to the table no one else hasnt? Basketball isnt a difficult game to understand, if you've watched it long enough. So what he says MOA didnt adjust after 3 1/2 games against the Celts. I saw it to. Most folks did. But unlike most reporters with agendas, SAS told you exactly what's going on with the head coach...

KBlack25

Starter
I dont understand whats so difficult about having an opinion about basketball. Elementary? He doesnt bring anything to the table no one else hasnt? Basketball isnt a difficult game to understand, if you've watched it long enough. So what he says MOA didnt adjust after 3 1/2 games against the Celts. I saw it to. Most folks did. But unlike most reporters with agendas, SAS told you exactly what's going on with the head coach...

Stephen A. Smith has an agenda - and he didn't say anything different than what many have spouted on this board...so why should he be held in higher regard?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
How did this turn in to a Stephen A Smith debate?

There are high pick-and-rolls. There's Amare Stoudemire coming from the corner, getting the ball near the elbow, with everyone and their grandmother knowing that's exactly what is going to occur. Or there's Stoudemire coming from the low block to set screens -- except everyone knows he's getting the ball and that he's not going to set a screen. And intertwined with it all is the arrival of Carmelo Anthony, assigned to doing pretty much the same thing.

"Coach knows offense," one player explained. "It would be nice to set plays, control pace and not jack up shots just because you're open. But that's what Coach does. You could live with it if we played defense. But obviously, we haven't done that much. Good, bad or otherwise, all I can say is that I've never seen anything like this."

Who has?

What team has a 6-foot-9, 230-pound player like Shawne Williams assigned to stand around and shoot 3s? What team has an athlete like Bill Walker, who's 6-6, 220, programmed to do the same? How can such a haphazard, frenetic brand of basketball -- you constantly hear D'Antoni screaming at players to shoot whenever open, no matter how much time is on the shot clock -- be permitted to continue when your $100 million franchise player just completed his ninth season? When Anthony, your other franchise player, just completed his eighth season? When both are signed for more than $80 million apiece over the next four seasons, yet based on the fatigue and injuries, neither looked as if he was physically conditioned to go another game in this series?

Just as important, what kind of players will you draft if this system remains in place? Knowing D'Antoni won't play guys who don't fit in?

The New York Knicks need a coach -- not a system. Coaches smirk at the luxury of preparing a game plan against it. Even folks like Charles Barkley have characterized D'Antoni's refusal to recognize the futility of his ways as "pure stubbornness."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

● Not only do I agree entirely with latter section of SAS's article (that I've added above), I've been saying basically the same thing .

And whether or not you do or don't like SAS, aren't we way off point?

This is about D'Antoni.

I'd love to know which player was quoted herein. My guess is either Derek Brown or Anthony Carter.

Just as important, what kind of players will you draft if this system remains in place? Knowing D'Antoni won't play guys who don't fit in?

Bring back the Brewer and AR debate.

KBlack25

Starter
Crazy⑧s;177429 said:
● Not only do I agree entirely with latter section of SAS's article (that I've added above), I've been saying basically the same thing .

And whether or not you do or don't like SAS, aren't we way off point?

This is about D'Antoni.

I'd love to know which player was quoted herein. My guess is either Derek Brown or Anthony Carter.

Reread that:

"Not only do I agree...I've been saying basically the same thing"

No shit...the things you say are the things you believe? I never knew that was the case, get the **** out! /sarcasm

The point is, this didn't bring anything new to the table, we all know why it was posted when the exact same topic was posted literally 24 hours ago...The discussion about D'Antoni is the same that's in millions of other threads on this board, nothing new or interesting in here - as is par for the course with SAS. Which is why this could have been discussed rather than open up a new thread to rehash the same thing for the 10 thousandth time.

Stephen A. Smith has an agenda - and he didn't say anything different than what many have spouted on this board...so why should he be held in higher regard?

True he does have an agenda. It just doesnt coincide with all the other writers that want only access. The man told the truth. Cant fault a man for being honest.

KBlack25

Starter
True he does have an agenda. It just doesnt coincide with all the other writers that want only access. The man told the truth. Cant fault a man for being honest.

HEre's what I find interesting:

He agrees with you so he told the truth.

Yet in the other thread you criticize a writer's POV for not furthering your own diatribe and not having a broad enough perspective (not telling the truth).

Isn't that what this all boils down to? Why this pointless, horribly written, non-journalistic, uninsightful piece of trash is being posted and raved about? Because you already agree with his opinion? And if you already agreed with his opinion, why is this a good article? Good articles should have a thesis, be thought provoking, etc. This is a bastardized version of an "opinion piece".

HEre's what I find interesting:

He agrees with you so he told the truth.

Yet in the other thread you criticize a writer's POV for not furthering your own diatribe and not having a broad enough perspective (not telling the truth).

I think you got me confused with someone else...