Knicks Biggest Trade Chip During 2013 Offseason?

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
The New York Knicks will only have their mid-level exception reduced to just $3 million this off season to play with.

Besides re-signing their own free agents?they'll have to fill out the rest of the roster with veteran's minimum contracts and their selection with the 24th overall pick in the Draft.

Knicks may still be able to add a couple of helpful pieces, Tyson Chandler may be their biggest trade chip.

Of course, everyone wants the Knicks to trade is Amar'e Stoudemire, but it's quite clear that there will be no interest in him for the very reasons they would want to trade him.

They could look to trade Iman Shumpert, but New York would regret trading away such a talented without getting equal talent in return.

Outside of Chandler, there aren't really any more players that would spark much interest on the trade market, or bring back a particularly helpful package in return. His contract at $14 M isn't too enticing but teams like Raptors, Spurs, Trail Blazers, Pelicans, Bobcats/Hornets, Timberwolves might be willing to part with some useful talent.

On the other hand a team that lacks shooting may be interested in Steve Novak's $4 M contract. Again teams like the Wizards, Timberwolves and/or Pelicans could be interested in taking on such a contract for a pure shooter.

A 54 win season, only could get better. Continuity is major with most teams, and can Stat at center, Melo at p-forward, J.R. at s-forward, Shump at s-guard and Felton at p-guard should be able to get it done. It all comes down to who will be in rotation, and as of now Knicks don't have the ample pieces to repeat a successful season.

So, which team -- what players -- should the Knicks target to fill out this team???

Trade Chandler -- opens in return to receive up to $14 M in return contracts???
Trade Novak -- opens in return to receive up to $4 M in return contracts???

Thoughts???

tiger0330

Legend
Do you know anything about the Knicks buying a pick. I was reading the new CBA only allows 3M aggregate in any one season for using cash in a transaction and one of the basketball guru's tweeted that the Knicks used some or all of it in a past transaction this season. So I was wondering how much cash the Knicks have to buy a pick.

It would shock me if they traded Tyson but Novak I can see going for shooter who is more versatile.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
If Tyson Chandler is our biggest trade chip and by chance Knicks feel they need to explore it -- it won't be the end of the world! But I would also be shocked if they indeed traded him.

Knicks -- still are able to make these moves to improve the roster:

MLE could be used for a player like Andray Blatche -- PF/C???

Leaving a door open to try and trade for Tyreke Evans -- Sacramento Kings can offer Evans a qualifying offer worth $6,927,157. Could the Knicks use a combination of Marcus Camby, Steve Novak, and Ronnie Brewer's trade exception to land Evans???

Peejay88

Rookie
Tyson is our only real legit trade piece but I'm uncomfortable with the idea of him being traded on the back of a playoff series where he was playing hurt. That being said if Grunwald is going to trade him, I hope he goes all in and contacts every G.M. to get the best possible deal. What is the likelihood that Amar'e could restructure his contract? and does anyone know how much cap room we could clear up by doing that? I'm unfamiliar with cap regulations

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Grunwald proved many times he enjoys going against the flow. In other words he's one of the most unpredictable GMs in the league and it's pretty certain he'll once again surprise the Knicks nation by making some completely unexpected acquisitions. Last year we thought our hand were tied due to various CBA restrictions, but Grunwald somehow managed to almost completely rebuild this team within a couple of months. Nobody expected us to sign Felton (and Camby); Brewer, Kidd and Kurt signings were a huge surprise too, Sheed coming out of retirement (!!!), Grunwald/Woodson taking the risk of signing some no-names with little to no NBA experience in Prigs, Cope and White... damn, knowing our current GM, everything's possible.

knicksince 93

Rotation player
If Tyson Chandler is our biggest trade chip and by chance Knicks feel they need to explore it -- it won't be the end of the world! But I would also be shocked if they indeed traded him.

Knicks -- still are able to make these moves to improve the roster:

MLE could be used for a player like Andray Blatche -- PF/C???

Leaving a door open to try and trade for Tyreke Evans -- Sacramento Kings can offer Evans a qualifying offer worth $6,927,157. Could the Knicks use a combination of Marcus Camby, Steve Novak, and Ronnie Brewer's trade exception to land Evans???
if we could trade tc i'd sign blatche and iggy with the money

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
if we could trade tc i'd sign blatche and iggy with the money

there would be no way to sign Iggy unless it was through S&T.

yes T.C. has a $14 M for 13-14 but it would still keep us up over the threshold cap wise.

signing Blatche to our MLE would be a raise for him since he only made $2 M last season.

What I would do if I was in Grunny's shoes:

• Trade T.C. in a multiple team trade to acquire a few players.
  • Then trade Novak, Camby and OKC 2nd Rounder we got for Brewer to acquire Tyreke Evans.
  • Use the trade exception from Brewer to get a PG like Patrick Mills from San Antonio.
  • With the Qual. offer to Prigioni, able to re-sign K-Mart to Vet. Min.
  • Add a couple of young players to the bench.

Basically having a lineup with Stoudemire as starting center -- the only way he will see any playing time and if he is truly committed to the team he will do whatever it takes to be that center the team needs.

Starting 5: Felton -- Evans -- Shumpert -- Melo -- Stoudemire
Bench: Mills -- J.R. Smith -- Blatche -- Prigioni -- K-Mart -- Thompkins -- Tyler

Leaving the door open to whomever we get from T.C. trade and 24th pick in the draft.

If we can some how acquire Malcolm Lee from Minnesota, he would fit very well in our Bench rotation at SG.

Now we all know that Stoudemire being in the starting role at the beginning of the season would be a P.R. move, doesn't mean he will remain the starter (injury prone) so adding a few big men this off season is a must.

Both Trey Thompkins and Jeremy Tyler are young and athletic players who would give energy to our second line as well much needed height. If they work out could be a huge dividend as they both would be RFA next off season.

With Thompkins he is more of a mid-range shooter who could be our version of Earl Clark from the Lakers.

While Tyler standing nearly 6'11 with a 7'5 wingspan, tipping the scales with a 260+ pound frame that still has plenty of room for improvement, and possessing very good athleticism for a player with those measurements. Both kind of rangy but could be good investments.

This is just my take, Grunny will do something out of the norm. and maybe this is the template he could utilize. We know Melo, Felton & Shumpert are the core of this team. So adding around them is the only way to move forward to continue the success we had this year.

tiger0330

Legend
Tyson is our only real legit trade piece but I'm uncomfortable with the idea of him being traded on the back of a playoff series where he was playing hurt. That being said if Grunwald is going to trade him, I hope he goes all in and contacts every G.M. to get the best possible deal. What is the likelihood that Amar'e could restructure his contract? and does anyone know how much cap room we could clear up by doing that? I'm unfamiliar with cap regulations
You can't renegotiate a lower salary only a higher one on the the 3rd anniversary of a 5 year deal. You can't renegotiate a 4 year or less deal at all, however Stat could negotiate an extension paying him less on his next deal but odds are this will be his last contract in NY.

Rob Low

Rotation player
I can't believe people are in here suggesting we have Amare as our starting center going into the season. Some of you guys have such short memories

Kiyaman

Legend
Wow! Grunwald do have a bigger job than I thought this offseason .. will he match the 54 win season?

Player ........................2012/13............2013/14..........2014/15.........2015/16.....2016/17
Amare Stoudemire........$19,948,799.......$21,679,893......$23,410,988........$0
Carmelo Anthony..........$19,450,000.......$21,490,000......$23,530,000........$0
Tyson Chandler............$13,604,188.......$14,100,538......$14,596,888........$0
Marcus Camby.............$4,590,338 ........$3,383,773........$4,177,208..........$0
Steve Novak...............$4,054,055 ........$3,750,001........$3,445,947..........$3,750,000.......$0
Raymond Felton...........$4,000,000 ........$4,180,000........$4,360,000..........$4,540,000.......$0
Iman Shumpert............$1,680,360 ........$1,797,600........$2,761,113..........$3,898,691.......$0
Jason Kidd..................$3,090,000 ........$3,090,000........$3,090,000..........$0
Pablo Prigioni................$473,604...........$988,872............$0
JR Smith.....................$2,806,452 ........$2,932,742..........$0
James White.................$854,389..........$0
Chris Copeland..............$473,604...........$0
Kenyon Martin...............$429,516..........$0
Renaldo Balkman...........$1,675,000 ........$0
Kurt Thomas................$1,352,181 ........$0
Rasheed Wallace...........$1,352,181........$0
Quentin Richardson........$79,540.............$0
Solomon Jones...............$62,912............$0
TOTALS:......................$79,977,119.......$76,404,547........$76,611,031........$8,290,000......$0

We have seven (7) players under contract
We have to sign 8 players in offseason.
We must have thirteen (13) players signed by regular season.
Resigning: JR, Pablo, Cope, K-Mart, plus the 24th draft pick give us 12 signed players.

Our Core players are Tyson/Amare/Melo/Shump/Felton/ and Novak.
Will the 6 players workout together at the Knicks facility in the offseason with Woody?
The Poster's right, Tyson is a big trade chip .. however ....
We are not trading Tyson Chandler's $24M contract .. there's been a shortage of big decent centers in the NBA.
The Nets FA C-Blantche will be signed before August.

Will continue at later date ...................

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
I can't believe people are in here suggesting we have Amare as our starting center going into the season. Some of you guys have such short memories

as a move to have him retire at seasons end -- if he goes through his exercise with H.O. and strengthens his core base some, goes through training camp and pre-season without any hiccups then sure I would put him to starter... Does that mean he will get starter minutes -- hell no... but when he does and he will get injured this P.R. move to move him to starting role might make him realize his career is over and NYK did everything they could to give him a shot...

Will Stat agree to play Center -- highly unlikely but if he is true to his word, that he wants to help this team out in any way he can they can pitch him the idea, if you do this and that we will give you this role and if you get injured again -- hang it up...

Getting a MLE like Blatche gives insurances to the team, if Stat goes down we have a viable starter to replace him...

There is no harm nor foul in this concept...

that is all I am saying... either way come 14-15 off season that will be $23M off the cap... there is no way Stat will stay healthy for an entire season, so management has to play their cards while still competing this upcoming season...

metrocard

Legend
Easily Felton. Team desperate of a PG could use him, but Knicks need an upgrade at PG. Having Felton leaves JR Smith or Amare to be our 2nd best player...and that's horrible to contend with the Heat, Pacers and Bulls.

Kiyaman

Legend

The short memory is on u .. we all know what Amare brings to the court (32 minutes, 24 pts, 9 rbds, 1 blk, on 55% FG) without GM Melo, HC Melo, and 30 shot attempts per game Melo callin all the shots on offense.

Some players can not perform well with certain players .. some workers can not perform well around certain co-workers. Do ur homework on Camby, Rasheed, Kurt, Tyson, and K-Mart, Im sure this season gave u some short memory complaints about them too. LOL
Injuries had nothing to do with the Fire Extinguisher glass being punch-out .. the so-call minor injuries to Amare were not suppose to flare-up untill the 5th season of Amare's Knicks contract.
Amare is a career 24 pt, 9 rbd bigman .... in the past two seasons how many 20 pt games has Amare had?

Fingers crossed for the draft. The Knicks core is there and I suspect Novak, Camby, White, Solomon Jones, and Quentin Richardson, will be making room for younger FA role players. We might have one or two old vets, but I doubt it will be on the scale to what we did last season. If Amare still doesn?t play well by mid season he will most likely be traded, possibly for a bag of gum drops. Chandler is going nowhere, big men are rare thes days. I think Tyson will be working on his offensive game, the pwnage Hibbert put on him should be a motivator. The Knicks window of opportunity is closing so expect to see a few tricks falling out the GM?s sleeves....lets just hope they are magical.

Kiyaman

Legend
Easily Felton. Team desperate of a PG could use him, but Knicks need an upgrade at PG. Having Felton leaves JR Smith or Amare to be our 2nd best player...and that's horrible to contend with the Heat, Pacers and Bulls.

Metro .... We messed-up BIG-TIME by not re-signing Jeremy Lin to a full-season to be tutored by HOF Jason Kidd, and veteran Felton. Could u imagine the big-hype Lin-Sanity wouldve receive world-wide throughout a full season sleeping on Jason Kidd's King-size couch in the Hamptons? LOL

Boy oh boy, did we FF-up big-time in trying to get the future top-tier NBA FA PG wanting to sign with the Knicks ..
it's not happening after Carmelo Anthony career interaction with Miller, Iverson, Billups, Lin, Felton, and finally HOF Jason Kidd.
Rumors .. has it Jason Kidd left Cuban's Mavs to sign a 3 yr contract with the Knicks to tutor a young raw Jeremy Lin skills into a veteran leadership PG to add to Kidd's future HC resume .. its just rumors made from Owner Cuban's explosion comments on Kidd's departure from the Mavs last offseason.

metrocard

Legend
We messed up again by not keeping Jason Kidd in our franchise.

He makes a better leader than Mike Woodson...most overrated coach in Knicks history.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
It appears that the Clippers will not be able to get Garnett. It also appears that they have locked up Chris Paul. How about Tyson Chandler (salary for next year $14.1M), for D. Jordan and Eric Bledsoe (combined salary for next year about $13.6M). The Clippers could use a defensive presence. Bledsoe is going to be a star. D. Jordan is not bad.

skisloper

Starter
It appears that the Clippers will not be able to get Garnett. It also appears that they have locked up Chris Paul. How about Tyson Chandler (salary for next year $14.1M), for D. Jordan and Eric Bledsoe (combined salary for next year about $13.6M). The Clippers could use a defensive presence. Bledsoe is going to be a star. D. Jordan is not bad.

If the Knicks could make this happen it would be score......I just do not see it happening........I think you can get more for bledsoe and Jordan then Tyson.....Not a knock on Tyson I just think Bledsoe plus Jordan is a better deal.....

Clippers could do Bledsoe/Jordan for Danny Granger........This gives clippers their 3rd star and Pacers get a PG in Bledsoe and Jordan as a 6th/7th mand and trade trip if it does not gel for the next year.

Kiyaman

Legend

WOW! CP3 getting center-Tyson Chandler back in the lineup, would definately put Griffin in the FINALS.
Naw .. we have to keep any FINALS experience players on the roster the next four seasons.