New York Knicks @ Portland Trialblazers, Sunday, Feb.8th, 6:00 pm

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
I've been saying this for the longest: we need a big man, a real one: long, shot blocker, rebounder. We should have given everything to get Gasol. Did you guys see how he altered most of Lebron's layup attempts, yesterday?

Anyway, when we didn't get Gasol, I was begging for Brook Lopez. If we had had Brook, last night, Roy gets stuffed, during his last second shot attempt.

Also, as well as he played, Lee should have been a little tougher, instead of just moving out of Roy's way, for that last attempt. Literally, he just side stepped Roy's drive. I'm sure that, if he had stood his ground, he would have drawn a charge or have caused Roy to miss. SICK!

knickfan2112

Benchwarmer
Also, as well as he played, Lee should have been a little tougher, instead of just moving out of Roy's way, for that last attempt. Literally, he just side stepped Roy's drive. I'm sure that, if he had stood his ground, he would have drawn a charge or have caused Roy to miss. SICK!

or he could have fouled him and sent him to the line... u need to relax lee was avoiding the foul roy made a tough shot

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
I agree with you as far as winning championships or even going deep into the playoffs is concerned. But I think we could have won this game without a superstar. As I see it, the problem is that at some point in the fourth quarter one or the other player tries to be a superstar although they lack the skills and mental stability. They should just continue doing what they are doing: passing the ball and hitting open shots, instead of going one-on-one all of a sudden.
Another thing that would have helped against Portland is a shut-down defender.

But see that's why we lost this game. No superstar to keep everyone focused. Superstars are the ones that know that we have a foul to give in the closing minutes. When the pressure builds average players start missing shots, as you saw in the game.

Pat, aren't we concerned about winning a title? A game like this shows that we lack that guy to take over the last couple minutes.

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
But see that's why we lost this game. No superstar to keep everyone focused. Superstars are the ones that know that we have a foul to give in the closing minutes. When the pressure builds average players start missing shots, as you saw in the game.
co-sign. we havnt had a real leader since to 90s. A superstar doesnt necessarily be a good leader. We need someone whos prepared to take the lead and play with some passion. I like D-Lee but saying 0-3 was a good week gives the Knicks a bad reputation. Arnt we supposed to be a team whos feared? right now we look like a bunch of kittens!

Kiyaman

Legend
We needed a Coaching-Staff vs Portland

This is a game thread inwhich the Knicks did not need a Super-Star Player to win at Portland lastnight.

David Lee quoted, "we was not told we had a foul to give during the time-out.".

OGKnickfan

Enlightened
or he could have fouled him and sent him to the line... u need to relax lee was avoiding the foul roy made a tough shot[/b]

Speaking of fouling, we actually had a foul to give and could have made it more difficult for them to have time to set up. Anyway, there's a new thread, where Victory supports trading Lee. I don't know if I do, but he certainly should not have allowed Roy to run right past him, when the game was on the line. Putting him on the line would have been better. All night, him and Harrington stood there and allowed penetration.

My point is simple, even though you tried to highlight the part that was convenient to your Lee worship: Harrington and Lee are not real centers, cannot block shots, or defend the interior, WE NEED A CENTER.

Kiyaman

Legend
We should all know I was not a fan of Layden, Isiah, and Walsh from the day they were hired. Being a 40 year Die-Hard Knick-Fan who witness success from Knick Defense for decades....makes me very questionable about NO-D coach Dantoni.
I could live with Dantoni's "passing-system" and his cleaning out the Lockerroom of "Divided-Players" (it was late but it was done....we only got Q.Rich left to go).

I criticized Dantoni and Walsh to much....but I do give Dantoni and Walsh their Props when they deserved them....but like I indicated they both been slow and late at doing things.
My criticism of the coach and coaching-staff on this game vs Portland is FACT....not hate.

Last night game at Portland....we watched from the Tip-Off to the last 4 seconds of the game a Knick coaching style we witnessed the previous last 3 seasons with poor decision making Isiah and experimenting Larry Brown.

First mistake....when having a schedule of playing 4 top teams one after another with the well playing "role-players" roster we have u dont make any starting-lineup changes vs those 4 top teams when u r just establishing well chemistry between two-units on the team....unless u are not coaching to win.
Heavy statement....but I got over it in this forum when I wrote it through out coach Larry Brown season with the Knicks.

Second mistake....Wilson Chandler has proven throughout this entire 2nd season that he is better defensively and offensively comming off the bench for a "15-5-2-1" stat performance....and would've been the Ideal player vs Portland's outstanding bench-player Bo Outlaw.

Third mistake....rookie Gallo is jellin perfectly well with Nate, Chandler, and Tim Thomas they all got peremeter-range to make up for one another mistakes plus size and speed to compete....they have to be 3-1 vs competition since Gallo started playing this season (let them Jell together).

Forth mistake....was putting Chandler & Gallo in the starting lineup vs a 30-19 young upcomming Star Portland Blazer team....inwhich took that as an insult to have them come out at open-tip to embarrase the Knicks with a blowout taking advantage of every Knick weakness with a 38-27 lead to end the 1st quarter in a run n gun game. If we did not experiment with putting Chandler or Gallo in the starting lineup vs Lakers, Cavs, and Celtics, then why do it to a young upcomming defensive-coach team like the Blazers who is a couple of steps behind the Orlando Magic.
Experimenting with the starting lineup vs GS or Clippers would've been acceptable b/c they are weak teams and they are "Back to Back" games.

Fifth mistake....was when Nate the Great forced Duhon out of the offense and started chucking the ball between him and Tim Thomas in the third quarter to get rid of Portlands 17 point lead over the Knicks by going on a 22-5 Knick Run to tie the score at 82 even....at the end of the 3rd quarter.
The 4th quarter should've had Nate, Chandler, Gallo, and Tim Thomas to start the quarter to give Lee & Duhon tandem rest on the bench.

Sixth mistake....there was no defensive plan written up in the final 4 seconds to defend Portlands first option on offense Star Brandon Roy....plus no Knick coach making it known to every Knick Player (bench and on the court) that we have a foul to give in the final 4 seconds of the game during the Time-Out.

dannyfree

Rookie
Debacle in Portlandt

The coach did'nt know....so he must really SUCK as a coach.
Dantoni two assistants on the bench was supposed to let everyone know that the Knicks had a foul to give in that time-out.
No Knick Player knew they had a foul to give in the final 4 seconds.

I'm new to the forrum but I had to join and put in my 2 cents after yesterday's disastrous display of coaching incompetence. I agree fully with this assessment that the coaches--ultimately Dantoni--must take full responsibility for colossal incompetence. It was a game the Knicks had in the bag, barring a miracle. The announcers on radio and TV repeatedly said they have a foul to give. I'm sure the refs knew it and were ready. Everyone knew but the coaches and the players. This makes Isaiah--who, for all his faults would have certainly been aware of the foul situation-- a genius by comparison.

To add insult to injury, did you folks see Dantoni's post-game press conference? Either he still didn't know about the fouls or this was the biggest load of "spin" of all time. Oh, (paraphrasing), 'we had a great game, its just that you knew it (Roy's move to the bucket) was coming and we tried, but couldn't stop him, he's a great player, give him credit, I liked our energy, we played great, things are looking bright', etc., etc., ad nauseum. Talk about complacancy after 4 straight losses (albeit to terrific teams)! Seems like the coach is happy to wait for the coming of the saviour (guess who- his initials are L. J.) Both radio and TV crews more or less told it like it was although Frazier and Kelly Tripucka (especially) were fuming and trying hard to be polite about thie coaches botched job. And how about the press conference? Did any of the "reporters" even hint at the foul question? Today, ESPN on-line has a re-cap which say's nothing about the issue! Were they watching the game? I haven't yet seen the reports in the NYC papers, but would be happy to hear if anyone in the press raised this point. Thanks for indulging my rant!
Dannyfree

Kiyaman

Legend
Speaking of fouling, we actually had a foul to give and could have made it more difficult for them to have time to set up. Anyway, there's a new thread, where Victory supports trading Lee. I don't know if I do, but he certainly should not have allowed Roy to run right past him, when the game was on the line. Putting him on the line would have been better. All night, him and Harrington stood there and allowed penetration.

My point is simple, even though you tried to highlight the part that was convenient to your Lee worship: Harrington and Lee are not real centers, cannot block shots, or defend the interior, WE NEED A CENTER.

Same argument was used on Amare & Marion in Phoenix....when is Dantoni going to admitt to himself he will not win anything without getting a good Defensive Coordinator coach. Trading Marion for Big Body Shaq made things even worst in Phoenix....so trading David Lee will be the same results.

smokes

Huge Member
I'm new to the forrum but I had to join and put in my 2 cents after yesterday's disastrous display of coaching incompetence. I agree fully with this assessment that the coaches--ultimately Dantoni--must take full responsibility for colossal incompetence. It was a game the Knicks had in the bag, barring a miracle. The announcers on radio and TV repeatedly said they have a foul to give. I'm sure the refs knew it and were ready. Everyone knew but the coaches and the players. This makes Isaiah--who, for all his faults would have certainly been aware of the foul situation-- a genius by comparison.

To add insult to injury, did you folks see Dantoni's post-game press conference? Either he still didn't know about the fouls or this was the biggest load of "spin" of all time. Oh, (paraphrasing), 'we had a great game, its just that you knew it (Roy's move to the bucket) was coming and we tried, but couldn't stop him, he's a great player, give him credit, I liked our energy, we played great, things are looking bright', etc., etc., ad nauseum. Talk about complacancy after 4 straight losses (albeit to terrific teams)! Seems like the coach is happy to wait for the coming of the saviour (guess who- his initials are L. J.) Both radio and TV crews more or less told it like it was although Frazier and Kelly Tripucka (especially) were fuming and trying hard to be polite about thie coaches botched job. And how about the press conference? Did any of the "reporters" even hint at the foul question? Today, ESPN on-line has a re-cap which say's nothing about the issue! Were they watching the game? I haven't yet seen the reports in the NYC papers, but would be happy to hear if anyone in the press raised this point. Thanks for indulging my rant!
Dannyfree

Good first post, welcome to the forum.

I like D'antoni, compared to the rest of the coaches we've had since Van Gundy. He's come into this place and done a pretty good job imo, if you look at the team we had at the start of the season compared to what we have now, you could even say individually we are worse off player-wise. We lost Z-bo, Crawford, Collins and Marbury, and gained Harrington and Tim Thomas. But as a team we have improved a lot.

This mistake was just unforgiveable however, it's textbook coaching 101 and how no one informed the players is just beyond me.

Red

TYPE-A
The coach did'nt know....so he must really SUCK as a coach.
Dantoni two assistants on the bench was supposed to let everyone know that the Knicks had a foul to give in that time-out.
No Knick Player knew they had a foul to give in the final 4 seconds.

D'Antoni admitted: he doesn't like to foul in that situation b/c he thinks it's too easy for an opposing player to throw up a shot when he knows he's about to be fouled. SMH!!!!!! To D'Antoni: So you let them (actually the same player who already killed u b4) get the shot off, after in bounding at half-court w/ 4.3 seconds left? After coming back from a double digit deficit on the road during a 4 game losing streak with a foul to give? Its common sense u STUPID MOTHERF*CKER!!!!! ***Note: This is strike 2 in my book. One more and I can no longer support Mr.Pringle, end of story!

Kiyaman

Legend

Dannyfree

Cosign....

The Luv coach Dantoni have from some Knick-Fans for being a better coach than the Knicks previous coaches the last 5 years....feel he could do NO wrong.

Kiyaman

Legend
D'Antoni admitted: he doesn't like to foul in that situation b/c he thinks it's too easy for an opposing player to throw up a shot when he knows he's about to be fouled. SMH!!!!!! To D'Antoni: So you let them (actually the same player who already killed u b4) get the shot off, after in bounding at half-court w/ 4.3 seconds left? After coming back from a double digit deficit on the road during a 4 game losing streak with a foul to give? Its common sense u STUPID MOTHERF*CKER!!!!! ***Note: This is strike 2 in my book. One more and I can no longer support Mr.Pringle, end of story!

Your Blood Pressure went up on this one....u still alive

dannyfree

Rookie

Great! If Dantoni said that, he is either a fool (which I doubt) or coveing his ass, which is likely. C'mon coach--you goofed--bad! Admit it and (maybe) learn! Don't do an Isaih spin-job! The thought also accurred to me that a smart player can fling it up just as he's getting fouled, but you don't wait. At the most, let one second tick off and foul as soon as he starts hs dribble. Did Jeffries and other players possibly know they had a foul to give, but were following caoches intructions to try to stop him without fouling? We weren't in the huddle. If it's simply Jeffries and the players fault, then why do we have coaches? And as far as Jeffries' defensive prowess goes, it's over-rated. Yes, he can make a few good defensive stops but is not consistent on defense and is woeful on offense. I was almost shocked that he made a medium range jumper in the game. So, I think replacing him in the starting lineup is a good idea. Chandler is probably the best option here, but I think Q probably should have started the game (notice that he did end it). Keep Gallo coming off the bench for now.
Yeah, it's frustrating, but don't abandon ship. The team is usually lots of fund to watch and in the NBA, we're watching the best athletes in the world. I've been through thick and thin and have been following the Knicks starting out on radio in the era of Carl Braun, Vince Borylla, Harry Gallatin, "Sweetwater" Clifton et al, around 1946. (Yeah, I'm an old dude but somewhere there's a 21 yr. old inside of me)

Red

TYPE-A
Your Blood Pressure went up on this one....u still alive

I couldn't even sleep! BTW: Mr. Pringle called a t.o. to "see what the Blazers were going to do", only problem is this dumb motherf*cker called it about .01 of a second BEFORE the Blazers actually lined up in their set. Jesus! SMH....

Last edited:

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
co-sign. we havnt had a real leader since to 90s. A superstar doesnt necessarily be a good leader. We need someone whos prepared to take the lead and play with some passion. I like D-Lee but saying 0-3 was a good week gives the Knicks a bad reputation. Arnt we supposed to be a team whos feared? right now we look like a bunch of kittens!

Yea I hear what you're saying. We need to have a reputation of a team that will physically assault you if you get near the basket. Intimidation plays a part in basketball games. Specially in the minds of opponents.

knickfan2112

Benchwarmer

first off i dont worship lee, i compliment players who work hard and hustle. i know he has to work on his defense as do the whole knick team. and i agree we do need a center i dont think anyone on this forum argues we dont. all i was saying was that lee wasnt at fault for that layup.

Red

TYPE-A

:update:

Yes, D'Antoni admitted his mistake about not fouling in Portland in a stunning confession that will be in tomorrow's newspaper and online.

Buzz up!
Posted by Marc Berman on February 9, 2009 4:10 PM

Here we go with the double talk.