We are WEAK at the SG position

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
If the Knicks don't sign a solid rotation SG by next week I think the Knicks will match Landry's offer. He'll be overpaid but he's a proven rotation player, lol at the talk of a bad contract when the Knicks paid Jerome James and Eddie Curry millions to just sit on the bench. If Shump was healthy and JR more consistent then the Knicks probably wouldn't match, re-signing Landry makes sense at this point.

Howard Beck‏@HowardBeckNYT

RT @michaelgrange: Colangelo says #Knicks are "50-50" on matching Fields offer ... #Raptors #NBA

Marc Berman‏@NYPost_Berman

Source said #Knicks likely to wait the limit on Fields offer sheet.

Frank Isola‏@FisolaNYDN

The Knicks don't really care about the paying the luxury tax which is why you can see them matching the offer for Landry Fields.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏@WojYahooNBA

Agree with @FisolaNYDN and absolutely do not rule out Knicks matching Landry Fields offer sheet. They have a 3-year window to win now.

Frank Isola‏@FisolaNYDN

I don't think it is the worst thing if Knicks match the Landry Fields' offer. He's still a good defensive 2-guard...with J.R. off the bench

Can't help but feel that we can offer something less lucrative to a more suitable player. Foye, of course, would be nice. Very interested to see what ends up happening with OJ Mayo. Has anything come up regarding his situation?

If we re-sign Fields he'll be on the bench behind JR, Novak and eventually Shump. Unless Grundog has no intention of re-signing JR beyond next season, there's really no point to pay that much. Not that it's a concern of Dolan's. I'm sure, in fact, that he'd bring back Fields just to appease Lin.

I'm pretty confident that we will see Novak taking the starting SG position at the beginning.

That'd create so many unfavorable defensive mismatches for us. Offensively, sure, the spacing would be good, but we'd be switching Novak to defend the less important match ups for us. He can't defend a single one of the league's starting 2s or 3s.

I agree, to a certain extent. I was hopin we would had Foye or Mayo. The after making our moves, I thought Dahntay Jones would be nice. I still think something should be done... Maybe bringing in a D-Stevenson on a vet min deal. Something like that. Small. Roll dice and hope for best.

BUT, if things work out well... come playoff time... We'll have Shumpert starting. JR Smith backing him up, serving as our 6th man. Plus, we can use Kidd-Lin together. We'll survive.

ALSO, there's the trade deadline. I'm sure if SG is a problem still... & if Shumpert isn;t healing the way we hoped for, the Knicks will make a trade for something serviceable.

Yep........

Last edited:

finestrg

Rotation player
I disagree, make Novak the starter if Smith is the problem and just call it a day. To be honest I would want Novak on the floor with melo and stat all the time anyway, screw that off the bench crap. The man can shoot and the people who can give him the open looks are all on the first team.

I can see your point about wanting legit outside shooting on the floor with that starting unit (which is why a big part of me really wanted a guy like Kim English or Hollis Thompson in this draft---rookie and all, if we could've gotten English, he would've started for me) but come on man, you can't ask Novak to match up with NBA 2-guards, let alone starting NBA 2s. That mismatch in these other teams' favor would be exploited 'til the cows came home every night. Novak getting continually abused like that defensively would probably take away from his shooting effectiveness too. I like Novak where he is -- coming off the bench to be used in situations where coach sees fit. That's how you maximize this guy's effectiveness in my view.

Last edited:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I can see your point about wanting legit outside shooting on the floor with that starting unit (which is why a big part of me really wanted a guy like Kim English or Hollis Thompson in this draft) but come on man, you can't ask Novak to match up with NBA 2-guards, let alone starting NBA 2s. That mismatch in these other teams' favor would be exploited 'til the cows came home every night. Novak getting continually abused like that defensively would probably take away from his shooting effectiveness too. I like Novak where he is -- coming off the bench to be used in situations where coach sees fit. That's how you maximize this guy's effectiveness in my view.

Echo, echo, echo, echo

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
Crazy⑧s;241579 said:
Echo, echo, echo, echo

Can't help but feel that we can offer something less lucrative to a more suitable player. Foye, of course, would be nice. Very interested to see what ends up happening with OJ Mayo. Has anything come up regarding his situation?

If we re-sign Fields he'll be on the bench behind JR, Novak and eventually Shump. Unless Grundog has no intention of re-signing JR beyond next season, there's really no point to pay that much. Not that it's a concern of Dolan's. I'm sure, in fact, that he'd bring back Fields just to appease Lin.

finestrg

Rotation player
Wow, 50-50 to re-sign Fields, huh? Shows we're thinking about it. I love the guy but if push came to shove, I let him walk for that money. There are some pros, but in the end, I don't think I could justify giving him 20 million.

In my mind, a lot of the guys I talked about on the list above are better than Fields anyway. And they'd all come cheaper, some MUCH cheaper. It's tough, but we might be better off letting Landry go then calling up a guy like CDR to see if he'd come here for the vet minimum. Either that or offer one of these younger/dynamic/high-upside players an opportunity to come here and make the club on a league minimum deal. That's what I'd do. F Toronto -- jokers think they put one over on us by signing Fields to that rediculous offer sheet to keep Nash away...OK, we didn't get Nash, BUT NEITHER DID YOU COLANGELO!! Now take that 'poison pill' Fields contract and shove it up your ass! I wouldn't mind seeing that at all.

Then part of me wants the kid back, so I dunno man..:shrug:

finestrg

Rotation player

If we bring Fields back, I think he'll go right back to being the starting 2G, esp for $20M. Slides right back into the role that he's manned for the last couple of years, a role he's comfortable with and like Skis mentioned earlier, he's got good chemistry with Lin..I think they like JR's firepower off the bench. I know I do. JR feels redundant to me a little with Melo and Amar'e on the floor. It's a better balanced team with JR's offense coming in later as Melo and Amar'e go out for a rest. Unless they promised JR the starting SG gig already, this is how I feel it'll go if we bring Landry back. Woodson went 18-6 to wrap up the season with Fields as his starting 2. He might be one of the guys lobbying behind the scene to keep him, who knows..

Last edited:

skisloper

Starter

Your missing the point....
Fields $$$$ can only be used for him since we have his bird rights.....so if we dont get fields we save ZERO ....that money cannot be used for another player...

If Knicks are looking for a 3 year year team then Fields can only help not hurt........who cares about Dolans taxes......

For all those that say Fields did not fit in with Melo well either did Lin, Stat and whoever else....

Lets imagine One coach, One full training camp and a very deep bench and we are good to go...

Novak is NOT a SG....who could he defend ???

and JR is a chucker....

Fields is very stupid money we all agree...he is worth maybe 3 years 8 million but screw dolan and lets keep him....plus he can sing

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
I agree, to a certain extent. I was hopin we would had Foye or Mayo. The after making our moves, I thought Dahntay Jones would be nice. I still think something should be done... Maybe bringing in a D-Stevenson on a vet min deal. Something like that. Small. Roll dice and hope for best.

BUT, if things work out well... come playoff time... We'll have Shumpert starting. JR Smith backing him up, serving as our 6th man. Plus, we can use Kidd-Lin together. We'll survive.

ALSO, there's the trade deadline. I'm sure if SG is a problem still... & if Shumpert isn;t healing the way we hoped for, the Knicks will make a trade for something serviceable.
Foye is still available, dont give up on Gruns

tiger0330

Legend
I'm pretty confident that we will see Novak taking the starting SG position at the beginning.

JR Smith can't play with Melo as the NBA only allows 1 ball to be used at a time.

We don't have anyone else that can start at SG until Shump returns.
lol Novak starting at SG. I watched a replay of the Toronto game where Lin hit that last second 3 to win the game.

Novak was guarding Barbosa and Barbosa's eyes lit up when he saw that, put the ball on the floor and blew by Novakaine for an easy layup. He's great at what he does but to ask him to guard SGs he can't do.

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
Fields $$$$ can only be used for him since we have his bird rights.....so if we dont get fields we save ZERO ....that money cannot be used for another player...

If Knicks are looking for a 3 year year team then Fields can only help not hurt........who cares about Dolans taxes......

For all those that say Fields did not fit in with Melo well either did Lin, Stat and whoever else....

Lets imagine One coach, One full training camp and a very deep bench and we are good to go...

and JR is a chucker....

Fields is very stupid money we all agree...he is worth maybe 3 years 8 million but screw dolan and lets keep him....plus he can sing

Aah, u guys missed the lame attempt at humor in my post. I copied word for word what Crazy said after he accused finestrg of echoing his own post. Now, I'm getting credit for Crazy's post.

And for the record, I could care less if we keep Fields or not; he's shown flashes of brilliance with Lin but his jumper is atrocious. But like u guys said, the luxury tax is chump change to Dolan. He'll just raise ticket prices next year and we'll still have sold out crowds again after Lin comes back to make up for it.

elcol

Rotation player
We get it kiya, you really like fields.

But you do realize that there are other sg's in the market right now, allot of them better, cheaper, and more fit for Woodson's system

skisloper

Starter
We get it kiya, you really like fields.

But you do realize that there are other sg's in the market right now, allot of them better, cheaper, and more fit for Woodson's system

FIELDS $$ cannot be used for another player...
We have I think Vet minimum left...
There is no player better then fields that we can get at the vet minimum...

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer

and JR is a chucker....

OOOooohhhh ok, well if he can sing we should definetely keep him then, i didn't put that into the equation....lmao

Do we even have any roster spots left after signing Camby, Kid, Coperland and Prigioni?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

See, I missed that throughout all the free agent madness going on. Gotta polish my game this offseason.:wallbash:

skisloper

Starter
Crazy⑧s;241602 said:
See, I missed that throughout all the free agent madness going on. Gotta polish my game this offseason.:wallbash:

Make no mistake 20 million for Fields is laughable...
But Screw Dolan and let him pay it....

tiger0330

Legend
Pretty sure we have the BAE left. Kidd took the MLE, Camby SnT, Prigoni and White min deals. I doubt you get Foye with the BAE and OJ is out of the question.

NYNYK

Benchwarmer
Crazy⑧s;241594 said:
Didn't make an accusation at all. I was agreeing with him.

Then that makes my attempt at humor even lamer. :redface:

If we sign fields, I want to see if he could do well with J Kidd off the bench. Would be pretty interesting.

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Pretty sure we have the BAE left. Kidd took the MLE, Camby SnT, Prigoni and White min deals. I doubt you get Foye with the BAE and OJ is out of the question.
BAE is gone.

However we have 2.1 left for a S&T because of Dan Garlicbread

skisloper

Starter

so if we are playing to win the Championship over the next 3 years then Fields can only be a Plus .......I say Dolan matches the salary and keeps him.....He has his moments just like JR does...so at this point the more the merrier...we need a deep bench .