Offensive Wish List: What You'd Like To See In Our Half Court

Red

TYPE-A
Again, we need to take that USA basketball example with a grain of salt. They're the best of the best for crying out loud.
Going against Chinese dudes nonetheless (no offense).

And, of course players love an open free shooting system as opposed to a structured one way to do things system. The former being a system where the players do what they feel is best, the ladder being a system where the coach chooses what's best.

Both approaches have +'s and -'s.

Some players thrive in a structured system, especially when fit for them. It gives them something to rely upon and continually practice. Knowing what to expect, were to go with the ball, and becoming an expert in the intricacies builds confidence. And some players find it difficult to understand and manage, especially when they have ancillary roles. Like going from the playground to organized ball.

On the other hand, MOA's system allows for a more free-flowing style. Most things like ball movement are basic and I would guess MOA assumes this is best tailored to most ball players who feel restricted by structured systems. The issue here is the moments when a go to play is needed. There is no real set play to rely upon, only set choices to be made. When there's too much thinking the ball stops, instincts stop, and players look lost (as if they'd rather be in a structured system with predetermined choices).

So both approaches have their ups and downs and that's besides the meaningful details we recognize when analyzing such as long (or poor position on) rebounds etc...

With that said, again of course players love playing like that, who wouldn't? That doesn't mean its necessarily what's best.

Like my man Tyson said "everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth".

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Again, we need to take that USA basketball example with a grain of salt. They're the best of the best for crying out loud.

K, so Coach K outright calls MDA a "genius offensively" and acknowledged his contribution to team usa as "huge" but we should take what he did there w a grain of salt as you say??? K Red. Keep smokin that good ish.

And yes players -especially high iq players- like his system because its smart and constently puts them position to exploit the D. The best players get it. That's the reason why theyre believers. Its not just because the system is uptempo or something like that. They like the concepts and rules within the system. If you ever heard MDA talk about his O you would know what im talking about.

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
K, so Coach K outright calls MDA a "genius offensively" and acknowledged his contribution to team usa as "huge" but we should take what he did there w a grain of salt as you say??? K Red. Keep smokin that good ish.

And yes players -especially high iq players- like his system because its smart and constently puts them position to exploit the D. The best players get it. That's the reason why theyre believers. Its not just because the system is uptempo or something like that. They like the concepts and rules within the system. If you ever heard MDA talk about his O you would know what im talking about.
your forgetting teh fact that when Mike D acts like an assistant head coach/offensive coordinator type, then there aren't many problems. And players that are amazing which are teh USA players, its not that hard to grasp an uptempto system. When Mike D is in charge of both offense and defense is where he fails.

Mike D is an offensive assistant coach, IMO.

And if you haven't noticed....the term offensive genius has been the label for Mike D because of his teams in Phoenix...he had one of the best facilitating PG in the NBA who was two time MVP in Nash, an upcoming multiple all star in Amare, perfect complimentary players in Marion, also an all star....so yea his system was a success in Phoenix and it put up the points but they didnt go far in the playoffs.

The term is over rated and it makes Mike D over rated when he is associated as being a genius of any kind.

A genius wins playoff games.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
your forgetting teh fact that when Mike D acts like an assistant head coach/offensive coordinator type, then there aren't many problems. And players that are amazing which are teh USA players, its not that hard to grasp an uptempto system. When Mike D is in charge of both offense and defense is where he fails.

Mike D is an offensive assistant coach, IMO.

And if you haven't noticed....the term offensive genius has been the label for Mike D because of his teams in Phoenix...he had one of the best facilitating PG in the NBA who was two time MVP in Nash, an upcoming multiple all star in Amare, perfect complimentary players in Marion, also an all star....so yea his system was a success in Phoenix and it put up the points but they didnt go far in the playoffs.

The term is over rated and it makes Mike D over rated when he is associated as being a genius of any kind.

A genius wins playoff games.

Maybe you didnt notice but all i was talking about was his offensive prowess Paul.. not too bright are ya. Read and a grasp the post son! Not trying to get back on that old MDA debateish

Stop. Your post was nonsense. :thumbsup:

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Goddam Crazy, I gotta take a advil to digest your posts sometimes.

What happened in terms of posting or being anti-dantoni?

-Can't deny I get carried away. It's the A.D.D. I CAN'T CONTROL IT! :lol:

-Anti D'Anti. Not necessarily just pooping on him, just the sudden turn around.

But on MOA, I read a few things I extrapolated from your response.

1. He hasn't lived up to his offensive genius billing.

Not since coming to NY, no. Not with any form of real consistency. I don't count his first 2 years.

2. Same ol' question, is the system right for the players we have- I noticed you replaced my post and added Nash.

Guilty! See point 1. I think the system will need some much necessary adjusting for the sake of building versatility. I don't believe we can get the most out of our players otherwise.

I guess (not that I'm defending him) that supporters would say even in flux, with less than Nash-like players, we still put up numbers. Imagine if we actually gel'd and had some continuity.

Indeed, but as I say, there will need to be some additions to the repertoire. The post game, the double screen etc. The hardest opponent to beat has a versatile arsenal that's unpredictable. See UFC's Anderslay Silva [spelling]

I think we can agree that any system run to it's potential should produce good offensive results, and that's not genius.
So I take that moniker with a grain of salt.

Precisely! But the best teams play on a level field with their defence. The equilibrium isn't there for us. I know where I lay the blame, though not all of it.

But i'd like to stop thinking that Nash was the lynchpin. The system needs everyone to be on-point in terms of decision making. I noticed Melo and others not being in tune and holding the ball or looking indecisive, and thus resorted to doing what he knows best, naturally. Just my opinion that with time he'll feel comfortable reading and reacting.

No doubt he will! But we can't continue to run ISO after ISO between both he and Amar'e. 5 players, not 2 stars. In regard to 2 stars, how will MD sculpt a 2 man game between STAT & Melo? (S&M :lol:)

Of course I like a more conventional approach where we exploit mismatches and feed the post, but without a valid big (which I have no more hopes of acquiring) this is wishful thinking.

I'm all about the conventional myself. But when I mention a post game - as I said in the OP - I'm not talking about a Tim Duncan, ZBo, Lopez post up, I'm talking about a perimeter initiated, motion movement that allows STAT the space to relocate close to the rim and work his athleticism and skill. 3 point plays, opponent fouls, better perimeter spacing on kick outs, illegal D - you name it! Adding to the versatility of an offensively stacked team. So offensively stacked, that you'd even wonder whether or not this high output system is necessary.

When we talk lack of options, I disagree. I see it as a lack of decision making that appears as lack of options. The options are there, the decision making (Nash, Felton) missing.

I think that's true. How that pans out will have a lot to do with your next point.

The system with its flaws can work. To me the question is as Amare said, "can we buy into it"? That's on coach as good ones get their teams to buy in.

I have my doubts about positive progression here. This doesn't stop at appeasing the stars. Not only that, but whether or not ,in MD's case, can he buy out of the system if necessity calls?

And of course the other big issue I still have is can MOA improve us and have us competitive at the least on defense. With the numbers we put up (or could out up) like Amare avg 30pts, TD Leading in 3'S (after the ASG), Williams 3pt%, and of course adding the fire power and shooting % of Melo & Billups...

Our real issues still lay on the defensive end. Rank 15th instead of 28th in defense (and reb.) With the same offense and we see the 2nd to ECF round easy to me.

All a massive ask at this stage.

On close out plays: yo, we had quite a few off screen game winners including Amare vs Bos

I do hope you don't mean the one that failed.

On comparing me to Kiyaman: I'm a bit insulted

I'm sorry. It was uncalled for. :lol:

After re-reading your post I see last season is still fresh in your memory. The best thing I can say is this should be MOA's last shot. 2nd round to ECF he stays, if not he's gone...

It's win win for us!:crossfingers:[/QUOTE]

Wasn't trying to dis Red. Actually thought i gave him props for thinking shet thru. He was very reactive all last season. That's why we butted heads (pause) much. But whatevs..

On Team USA and MDA's O:

Coach has U.S. blazing
Players embrace D'Antoni's fast style

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 5, 2006 12:00 AM

It probably will happen. The Americans look like they should win the World Championships gold medal in four weeks because they are supremely talented, sufficiently motivated and properly focused back on being a team rather than an All-Star squad.

They likely will rout some teams and everything different than the embarrassments from recent years will be noted. The defense, a staple of the Dream Team, will be hailed because the U.S. always could score even when it couldn't shoot.

Even if nobody else sees the beauty of USA Basketball's offense, the players will. Many have longed to play this freely with the ball and Suns coach and USA assistant Mike D'Antoni is making it happen.
advertisementOAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1')
clear.gif

He is the offensive coordinator for the American team that begins an Asian exhibition tour this week in preparation for the Aug. 19-Sept. 3 World Championships in Japan. Like a basketball brunch, he is melding the relentless attack of the Suns and the playbook of Duke and USA Basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski.

"He gives me some credit but he wants to play that way," D'Antoni said after the team's 114-69 debut Thursday against Puerto Rico. "He's always given his teams a lot of freedom. He does that. It's really cool."

But it is just as much D'Antoni's way. His offensive expertise and international experience were reasons for Jerry Colangelo to tab him for the staff. D'Antoni and Suns assistant Marc Iavaroni put in the USA offense and found a familiar star pupil.

"I knew the offense from two years ago," Joe Johnson said. "It definitely helped me out a lot so that when guys like LeBron (James) and D (Dwyane) Wade push the ball up the court, I'm going to be spotting up in that corner. They find me and I'm going to knock it down.

"I never knew that it would come back around like this (to play for D'Antoni again after leaving Phoenix for Atlanta last summer). I'm going to cherish it. I'm loving it right now. I love Coach D'Antoni. I hate how things happened like they did but it's a business."

Because Colangelo is in the business of crafting a team to fit international play, shooters such as Johnson and a fast-moving, spread-out system like D'Antoni's became essential. Just as there was a learning curve for Suns players such as Raja Bell after structured pasts, USA Basketball likely will get better at quick shots and extra passes.

"We go out there and quick and out," guard Gilbert Arenas said. "D'Antoni wants to get a shot in the first five seconds. We love it. We don't complain."

The U.S. showed that it will have a propensity to launch three-pointers from the 20 1/2-foot line. Thirty-one of the 81 U.S. shots Thursday were threes. The squad was 1 for 9 to start but hit 10 of its last 22. Antawn Jamison, at 6 feet, 9 inches, showed the emphasis on versatility with four makes.

Carmelo Anthony was the team's leading scorer but, as Wade noted, don't get used to a regular star on a team that showed a willingness to share.

"I feel like the shots are just coming to me," Anthony said. "When you're out there with guys like Chris Paul, LeBron, Dwyane, it's hard for other teams to guard everybody. Somebody is going to get open shots. Somebody might get 10 shots. Somebody might get two. We don't worry about that."

D'Antoni could be worn out from taking the Suns into June, moving into front office summer work and devoting most of July and August to USA Basketball. But he is champing at the bit for another USA game, which comes Monday night against China on ESPN2. For a guy whose work took him to Italy for much of his life, working under the name of USA is a moving experience.

"This is bigger than what we do every day," he said. "It does give you goosebumps and it is exciting. I can't wait until the next game. I can't imagine what the Olympics are going to be like if I get this excited for an exhibition."

And..

Duke's Mike Krzyzewski noncommittal, promotes Mike D'Antoni for 2012 Olympic Games

BY MARK LELINWALLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Mike Krzyzewski helped the U.S. men's team redeem itself and grab a gold medal in the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, but he says it's still too early to commit to the 2012 Games in London.
If he doesn't commit, that could open the door for Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni, an assistant to Coach K last summer, to be named the head coach for 2012.
"I don't want to say who I think would be good (for the job), but Mike D'Antoni is a great friend and was huge in us winning the gold medal," said Krzyzewski, who was at the NBA Store on Fifth Ave. yesterday, signing copies of his new book, "The Gold Standard," which describes his Olympic experience and was written with his daughter Jamie K. Spatola. "He's really a genius, especially offensively. A lot of ideas we had on the offensive end of the court were Mike's."

Stop dude. Players luv playing in this offense. It is effective. MDA's offense and thinking were integral to Team USA's success. You gotta chill Crazy re this topic. Our O is fine. By bonafide I mean coaches, GM's and players all recognize MDA's offensive prowess.

And just how resemblant was team USA's offence to NY's? I have absolutely every outing by Team USA on my HD. This means shit all, because it's so dissimilar to anything run by the boys in O&B. Set plays VS the shitstem. Regardless of whoever's holding the reigns, this team is an offensive juggernaut. System, MD and the goon patrol or no.

Revamp = reemergence in the East!

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Crazy⑧s;186041 said:
And just how resemblant was team USA's offence to NY's? I have absolutely every outing by Team USA on my HD. This means shit all, because it's so dissimilar to anything run by the boys in O&B. Set plays VS the shitstem. Regardless of whoever's holding the reigns, this team is an offensive juggernaut. System, MD and the goon patrol or no.

Revamp = reemergence in the East!

Crazy,

All due respect but I'll take Coach K's assessment over yours any day of the wk.

And the offense the Olympic team ran many, many times utilized floor positioning of the MDA's spread offense. Saw it too many times dude. I can't tell you how many times a saw Steph Curry knocking down threes in the exact spot Shawn Williams launches them from. This is not even debatable really. You've got the venerable Coach K giving MDA the credit for virtually all of their offensive success. Just stop.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Crazy,

All due respect but I'll take Coach K's assessment over yours any day of the wk.

And the offense the Olympic team ran many, many times utilized floor positioning of the MDA's spread offense. Saw it too many times dude. I can't tell you how many times a saw Steph Curry knocking down threes in the exact spot Shawn Williams launches them from. This is not even debatable really. You've got the venerable Coach K giving MDA the credit for virtually all of their offensive success. Just stop.

Steph Curry? Are we talking about the same team USA here? I'm talking about the Beijing squad that beat Spain.

And if Steph Curry hits a corner 3, does that really call for a whoop-de-doo on MD's behalf? Would you like me to whoop-de-doo?

Regardless of Coach K's praise, this whole hallmark of an offensive genius is yet to show its merits in NY, and that's where it matters most. This season could be the turn around, but as I continue to expound, there'll have to be some tweaks to D'Antoni's monotonous chuckathon.

This team can post 105 PPG without him, and with a defensive presence onboard.

As Clyde would say more "posting and toasting". Post play gets you easier shots and should increase your offensive rebound percentage.

This is absolutely a NO BRAINER...