Carmelo in a Pick and Roll with Chandler is Unstoppable!

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Just watched the DVR of the game against the Pistons.

I'm telling you guys. Those two together w Melo coming off the screen from Chandler w the ball in his hands and the opportunity to make a decision to pass, shoot or drive equals something good for us almost every time.

Saw it against the Pistons and I know in my bones it has much potential to work against any team. Not only that, but it'll open things up for our shooters in their spots along the perimeter.

On another note.. the win against the Pistons was a confidence marker for our boys. Teams sometimes need a good win agaist a shitty team to start feeling like they can get gd things done again. The Pistons are amply shite-ridden, but I saw some nice signs our offense is getting on track.

One thing that worries me is that MDA sticks with his 8 man rotation even in this lockout shortened season.

He only played:

Douglas
Walker and Jeffries.. off the bench

w

Shump
and Amare as our second unit. This is not gd.

Really liked the chemistry brewing between Melo and Fields too. Some nice passes from Melo for some clean open looks, which Landry drained for change.

Can't get too excited, but this team appears to be getting the ship righted imo.

Time will tell..

And could the board be any quieter after a win?? Goodness.

:gony:

Last edited:

CoolClyde

...I'm telling you guys. Those two together w Melo coming off the screen from Chandler w the ball in his hands and the opportunity to make a decision to pass, shoot or drive equals something good for us almost every time....

One thing that worries me is that MDA sticks with his 8 man rotation even in this lockout shortened season.

good observation, Ron. i guess that's the best you can expect from KO fans
after a win against such a Pissed-On opponent, everyone is cautiously pessimistic...

the team is coming together, 2 quality players in Melo and Manhandler,
and Laundry Folding his clothes neatly again, getting past the shock and
awe of melosupernova, and into the flow with new teammates.

However, coach Macaroni sticking with his short rotation does not bode well for end of season, like EVERY OTHER SEASON UNDER SHITSTACHE!
:boohoo:

Last edited:

CA7

Scoring Champ
I just wish we had better shooters to keep defenders at ease when Chandler and Stoudemire are rolling and Melo is attacking. Fields isn't a major 3 threat, neither is Walker, Shumpert or Douglas. I pray we add a real "shooting' guard

Paul1355

All Star

I'm telling you guys. Those two together w Melo coming off the screen from Chandler w the ball in his hands and the opportunity to make a decision to pass, shoot or drive equals something good for us almost every time.

Saw it against the Pistons and I know in my bones it has much potential to work against any team. Not only that, but it'll open things up for our shooters in their spots along the perimeter.

On another note.. the win against the Pistons was a confidence marker for our boys. Teams sometimes need a good win agaist a shitty team to start feeling like they can get gd things done again. The Pistons are amply shite-ridden, but I saw some nice signs our offense is getting on track.

He only played:

Douglas

w

Shump

Really liked the chemistry brewing between Melo and Fields too. Some nice passes from Melo for some clean open looks, which Landry drained for change.

Can't get too excited, but this team appears to be getting the ship righted imo.

Time will tell..

And could the board be any quieter after a win?? Goodness.

Ron I think your right and that Melo can be effective in a pick and roll, especially with Chandler and we've seen it work.

But your forgetting that we played the Pistons.

Before we went on that horrible 1-9 record in ten games, the Pistons and Bobcats were the only teams we actually beat. The Pistons are now 4-20, they are basically a D league team out there.

This game was fools gold, we will get CRUSHED by the Bulls, Celtics, and i won't be shocked if we lose to the Nets since we will be tired from a back-to-back-to back.....

We should have Jermely Lin and Melo running pick and rolls. Have Douglas/Bibby/WalkerNovak camp outside when it happens, switch off between Amare and Chandler doing the pick...and we would dominate...but somehow we fail to execute or just use the pick and roll as a decoy for another play.

Don't get too hyped up as long as Mike D is coach, he isn't that creative. He likes to keep a few set plays and leave it as that.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I just wish we had better shooters to keep defenders at ease when Chandler and Stoudemire are rolling and Melo is attacking. Fields isn't a major 3 threat, neither is Walker, Shumpert or Douglas. I pray we add a real "shooting' guard
Depends on how you use Landry, he's a 15PPG player who can add some rebounds and assists, pretty good 3rd threat...

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Ron I think your right and that Melo can be effective in a pick and roll, especially with Chandler and we've seen it work.

Before we went on that horrible 1-9 record in ten games, the Pistons and Bobcats were the only teams we actually beat. The Pistons are now 4-20, they are basically a D league team out there.

This game was fools gold, we will get CRUSHED by the Bulls, Celtics, and i won't be shocked if we lose to the Nets since we will be tired from a back-to-back-to back.....

We should have Jermely Lin and Melo running pick and rolls. Have Douglas/Bibby/WalkerNovak camp outside when it happens, switch off between Amare and Chandler doing the pick...and we would dominate...but somehow we fail to execute or just use the pick and roll as a decoy for another play.

Don't get too hyped up as long as Mike D is coach, he isn't that creative. He likes to keep a few set plays and leave it as that.

Did you read my whole post?

I acknowledge in several places that Detroit sucks. Did you just read the thread title?

I didn't get hyped. In fact I think I mention that one shouldn't be to excited after this win, but that there were signs.

Takes time n practice to develop the offensive chemistry. Things come at you to fast in games.

Chandler pointed after the game to the fact the team had a gd practice n that it translated on to the court w cohesion.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

Nice thread work, Rono. Glad you brought it up.

The Melo + TC tandem is absolutely a boon for this team.

With Melo's versatility and Chandler's attacking mentality and excellent anticipation, the P&R between the 2 can become a staple in a winner's diet.

As I've stated before, incorporating the P&R between the 2 can be as elaborate or non-elaborate as MD wants it to be. If you consider a tangible, orchestrated P&R set that incorporates STAT and Fields, the angles and the variables are friggin' countless.

Whoever's reading this, let your imagination conjure up as many variables as you can with Amar'e and Landry being incorporated in to a P&R with Tyson and Melo. Mind boggling.

I think the best way to describe a virtual 4 man P&R between these 4 is:

A PSYCHOLOGICAL FEATURE THAT'S AN ADVANTAGE AGAINST ANY TEAM.

Dude, man, bro, homes. Have you ever seen the team look so alleviated all season? Now it's on to the Bulls for a flogging. That's a test of professional mental aptitude on its way, IMO.

He only played:

Douglas

w

Shump

I would probably use the term - MORONIC - to describe that. And give Jordan some burn for ****'s sake, Mike.

Trust me, a 2 man game founded on confidence and execution between these 2 is ENORMOUS for this team. A 2-3 tandem that passes, moves, communicates and executes well is bordering on equivalent necessity levels with this team's need for a PG.

When have you ever seen them play together and it hasn't looked sensational?

You haven't.

When I see what I see at 1:03 in the vid below, a bit of wee wee comes out of me.

If I were a man of god, I'd be praying right now that it keeps up.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer

dude watch the game...this has nothing to do with the score or the outcome. the knicks ran plays...the knicks shot 64%

Paul1355

All Star
Did you read my whole post?

I acknowledge in several places that Detroit sucks. Did you just read the thread title?

I didn't get hyped. In fact I think I mention that one shouldn't be to excited after this win, but that there were signs.

Takes time n practice to develop the offensive chemistry. Things come at you to fast in games.

Chandler pointed after the game to the fact the team had a gd practice n that it translated on to the court w cohesion.
let's see how they do against the Bulls and Celtics, let's see if Douglas can suddenly have cohesion.

I just don't trust any PG except Lin and if Shumpert is driving then he is effective.

But I don't trust our guards to carry us.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
let's see how they do against the Bulls and Celtics, let's see if Douglas can suddenly have cohesion.

I just don't trust any PG except Lin and if Shumpert is driving then he is effective.

But I don't trust our guards to carry us.

Seriously..

Tell me why you trust Lin smh?? He sucks dude.

Neway.. this offense is back.

We can run our stuff now with proper flow and movement. Saw all I needed to see against the Bulls. We got what ever we wanted against their very good defense. We just didn't play enough defense of our own. That will be the next step towards starting to get W's against good teams.

Melo was running the pick and roll with Chandler numerous times in that game w positive effect. Really he'd be stupid not to call for a pick from Chandler on almost every possession. The D can't stop it and he so elusive on his own that the pick just makes things uber easy for him. That play should be our bread and butter.

Even though we lost, there were many positive things to take away from the game last night.

Last edited:

fender0577

Rotation player
Seriously..

Tell me why you trust Lin smh?? He sucks dude.

Neway.. this offense is back.

We can run our stuff now with proper flow and movement. Saw all I needed to see against the Bulls. We got what ever we wanted against their very good defense. We just didn't play enough defense of our own. That will be the next step towards starting to get W's against good teams.

Even though we lost, there were many positive things to take away from the game last night.
Your right with everything you said, except for the LIN part, how do you know he sucks if we have never seen him play.We know TD suck, that's a fact, but the little time i've seen LIN play he actually penetrated and caused some problems for the D, i'm not saying he's the answer, but i'd take any one over TD at this point, at worst he's a back up pg, but TD can't even do that.I don't even think TD would make any other teams except the Bobcats or Wizards.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Your right with everything you said, except for the LIN part, how do you know he sucks if we have never seen him play.We know TD suck, that's a fact, but the little time i've seen LIN play he actually penetrated and caused some problems for the D, i'm not saying he's the answer, but i'd take any one over TD at this point, at worst he's a back up pg, but TD can't even do that.I don't even think TD would make any other teams except the Bobcats or Wizards.

I saw a vid of scouts breaking down Lin's game and they highlighted things that keep him from being a viable option at the PG position:

1. He can't shoot off the dribble well enough to get his shot off consistently at this level. He has a slow release on his J that gives defenders too much time to get to him and contest well or block it.

2. His handle and ability to maintain that dribble while seeing the whole floor and getting to a spot on the court to make a play for someone or himself is not fluid enough yet. He's seems to have worked on it since entering the League and he seems to be able to do some things agianst other team's third stringers, but he's not where you need him to be to have him as a main cog in your rotation, not even close.

As hard as I've been on Douglas he's just better than Lin, in almost every area.

TD is not a guy you should start at the 1, but he's a viable rotation player that won't hurt you going against other teams second unit players and starters in dribs and drabs. For example, you'd definitely want to minimize TD's exposure to a guy like Rose. Youre just doing him a disservice buy starting him, or playing him for extended minutes against a guy like that.

Considering this, would you want Lin anywhere near Rose at any point in a game, at either end??

The answer is Hell-to-the no..

Lin is a practice squad type, no more no less.

Last edited:
Our team is filled with pick and roll potential but the players rarely put themselves in the right postions to make them. When we have a player like Bibby not making this simple pass play happen...I'm lead to believe our motivation and philosphy is lacking big time. How can you not get players (especially veterans) to do proper spacing and picks?