Raymond Felton Traded to the Knicks

finestrg

Rotation player
Trying to confirm a few rumors surrounding this Felton deal:

(1) Felton could make as much as $15-18M over 3 yrs in this S&T, not the $10 being reported.

(2) The deal was expanded to include Jon Diebler going to the Knicks and a 2016 2nd rounder going to Portland.

(3) Someone, maybe Isola, reported something about "the rights to 2 European players" being included..I think he may have said the Knicks acquired the rights to 2 Euro. players but did he really mean to say Portland acquired the rights, possibly referring to Printezis, Papanikolaou, Nivins?

(4) Felton came out and said somewhere that the Knicks will not match the offer sheet on Lin.

----------------------

- Obviously, I like Felton better at $10M, esp. coming off the poor yr in Portland where he looked fat and played very erratic.

- Very quietly, Jon Diebler would make for a very nice pickup here, esp. given the fact that we're still thin at the 2. 6'6" SG from Ohio State can really shoot it. Definitely worth the 2016 2nd round pick imo. I like this kid. Makes me feel a little better about this deal. A 2nd pure shooter to go along with Novak.

- Something tells me Isola or whoever maybe meant to say Portland acquired the rights to 2 Euros. in this deal, not vice versa. Does Portland even have an Euros. stashed overseas right now? If so, who are they? If we in fact threw in 2 Euros, it feels like a bit much, no?

- For Ray to come out and say that about Lin, I mean is that what Grunwald & the Knicks told him? Felton might know something we all don't know yet -- that Lin's a goner. This deal would seem to indicate as much anyway.

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
Sam Amick
‏@sam_amick

Conflicting info out there, but source insists Raymond Felton's deal with New York will pay him approximately $18 million over four years.

i don't know what to make of it really thats way too much for someone who bombed last season

agreed and in all honesty 6 mil more for J Lin is a better move and a better profit.

Still don't fully understand the whole move. I get the luxury tax crap and maybe Lin was being greedy signing the second offer sheet with Houston, but if we dont match Lin then this might have been a personal thing. Knicks were so pissed off he signed a ridiculous deal that was unmatchable to them.

Paul1355

All Star
Trying to confirm a few rumors surrounding this Felton deal:

(1) Felton could make as much as $15-18M over 3 yrs in this S&T, not the $10 being reported.

(2) The deal was expanded to include Jon Diebler going to the Knicks and a 2016 2nd rounder going to Portland.

(3) Someone, maybe Isola, reported something about "the rights to 2 European players" being included..I think he may have said the Knicks acquired the rights to 2 Euro. players but did he really mean to say Portland acquired the rights, possibly referring to Printezis, Papanikolaou, Nivins?

(4) Felton came out and said somewhere that the Knicks will not match the offer sheet on Lin.

----------------------

- Obviously, I like Felton better at $10M, esp. coming off the poor yr in Portland where he looked fat and played very erratic.

- Very quietly, Jon Diebler would make for a very nice pickup here, esp. given the fact that we're still thin at the 2. 6'6" SG from Ohio State can really shoot it. Definitely worth the 2016 2nd round pick imo. I like this kid. Makes me feel a little better about this deal. A 2nd pure shooter to go along with Novak.

- Something tells me Isola or whoever maybe meant to say Portland acquired the rights to 2 Euros. in this deal, not vice versa. Does Portland even have an Euros. stashed overseas right now? If so, who are they? If we in fact threw in 2 Euros, it feels like a bit much, no?

- For Ray to come out and say that about Lin, I mean is that what Grunwald & the Knicks told him? Felton might know something we all don't know yet -- that Lin's a goner. This deal would seem to indicate as much anyway.

we recieved two portland players that they drafted and we gave them a 2nd rounder that is all

finestrg

Rotation player
we recieved two portland players that they drafted and we gave them a 2nd rounder that is all

OK, just saw that Diebler was playing overseas last yr so he's gotta be one of the 2. Makes more sense now...I know they drafted Diebler late in the 2nd round last yr.. I wonder who the 2nd guy could be (Will Barton?). Maybe it's someone they acquired in a trade within the last couple of yrs.

munco

Benchwarmer
i knew the front office was inept, but this is a new low. can't believe we're losing lin and getting geriatric j-kidd and fatso felton.

Paul1355

All Star
Raymond Felton got fat because he wasn't motivated.

He was in a place (Denver) where he played 2nd string to Ty Lawson. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the dude went from borderline all star status with us to afterthought the next. That's gotta mess with your psyche.

Next up, he went to Portland, a team that was projected to be great but fell apart due to injury (Roy and Oden....I wish all the best for Roy in Minny though, hope he turns it around). Slowly, that team began to fall into the crapper. Look back at the Blazer's past season. They ALL had bad years, save for Aldridge and I guess Batum. The whole entire team decided to blow it up mid season and Ray Ray knew he wasn't coming back to Portland.

When Felton was motivated, when Charlotte made the playoff push, when Amare and him dominated the P&R for half a season, the man was a warrior. Questionable shot selection, sure, but he was a bulldog.

Say what you want about Melo, but he wants to win, and being around Melo and Kidd will not lead Felton to be motivated.

I don't know what's going to happen with Jeremy Lin, and while this wasn't what I was expecting, I am nevertheless optimistic. The next three years are going to be pretty magical, guys.
yea magical as in fire breathing dragons burning down MSG and melting away what could have been a great team.

Lin will be a Knick

No way Knicks are gonna go with Felton and Kidd as the point guards. For a simple reason - the knick fans and media would crucify Dolan/Grunfeld for choosing felton over Lin.

The Felton signing clearly was a response to the loss of Landry Fields and the fact that, as of this moment, the Knicks have ZERO healthy shooting guards. The Felton signing allows Lin to play PG and Kidd play SG, with Felton backing up both until Shumpert comes back.

Paul1355

All Star
No way Knicks are gonna go with Felton and Kidd as the point guards. For a simple reason - the knick fans and media would crucify Dolan/Grunfeld for choosing felton over Lin.

The Felton signing clearly was a response to the loss of Landry Fields and the fact that, as of this moment, the Knicks have ZERO healthy shooting guards. The Felton signing allows Lin to play PG and Kidd play SG, with Felton backing up both until Shumpert comes back.

wisdom! i AGREE....Felton could have easily been to just address lack of depth at the guard spot.

And Dolan/Grunwald will be crucified...too many NY fans love this kid.

Kidd can be a solid 2 guard and start which is what he wants to do and you make J.R the dynamic bench player. Felton is a solid backup as any and would just be happy to a Knick again.

This is like pitching and baseball, you can never have too much pitching...and we can not have too many ball handlers. we need ball handlers and now if we resign Lin we have 4 of them.

finestrg

Rotation player
Not sure how this affects the Knicks matching Lin's offer sheet (I don't think it looks good fellas -- hope I'm wrong -- everything surrounding this Lin offer sheet has annoyed me to no end, but I still want him back) but this deal on it's own looks good.

If the deal's Gadzuric, Jeffries and a 2016 2nd rounder for Ray Felton, Kurt Thomas (even if we waive him, no biggie) and 2 players Portland drafted recently (pretty sure Jon Diebler, maybe even Will Barton :crossfingers:), that's a straight up coup. Can't wait to see all the particulars on this.

Wargames

Starter
Not sure how this affects the Knicks matching Lin's offer sheet (I don't think it looks good fellas -- hope I'm wrong -- everything surrounding this Lin offer sheet has annoyed me to no end, but I still want him back) but this deal on it's own looks good.

If the deal's Gadzuric, Jeffries and a 2016 2nd rounder for Ray Felton, Kurt Thomas (even if we waive him, no biggie) and 2 players Portland drafted recently (pretty sure Jon Diebler, maybe even Will Barton :crossfingers:), that's a straight up coup. Can't wait to see all the particulars on this.

Those guys are part of the 2013 plan. It looks like regardless of anything once this window closes the Knicks will rebuild with a lot of youth.

Last edited:

oshi

Benchwarmer
TRAILBLAZERS FANS MAKING FUN OF US. WHAT ARE NYK THINKING THO, FOR REAL.

What I said:

Could have gave that money to Ronnie Brewer. Jeffries > Kurt Thomas. Jeffries did so much hustle **** for us last year. Why are we signing all these ancient players? And did the Knicks not watch a single game Felton was in last year? If we do resign Lin we have 4 PGs. I don't ****ing get it

BLAZERS FAN:
Exactly

God I love the knicks

We got a vet minimum jeffries, some faggot center we are just going to waive, and a second round pick.

For kurt thomas who, while he is a cool person, is not a good basketball player anymore (Though damn he still sinks that elbow jumper well)
And faggot raymond fatton who not only would have walked ANYWAY if we didnt SnT, but we ****ing hate.

We get cap space, a good minimum player, and lose literally nothing worth mentioning

The knicks lmao

**** THIS TEAM MAN.

Wargames

Starter
Hey they can laugh all they want right now you could make an argument they have the most dysfunctional team in the league. Felton came in fat but they trades Andre Miller for him.

oshi

Benchwarmer
Hey they can laugh all they want right now you could make an argument they have the most dysfunctional team in the league. Felton came in fat but they trades Andre Miller for him.

At the time any team in the LG would have done that.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Felton?

I am bewildered. Putting aside Lin for a moment, was any other team willing to sign Felton? Why would we pay him so much?

As far as Lin is concerned, I am with CoolClyde. Dolan could be ticked off. Perhaps he is just messing with Lin. I cannot believe that Lin really wants to go to Houston

skisloper

Starter
I am bewildered. Putting aside Lin for a moment, was any other team willing to sign Felton? Why would we pay him so much?

As far as Lin is concerned, I am with CoolClyde. Dolan could be ticked off. Perhaps he is just messing with Lin. I cannot believe that Lin really wants to go to Houston

They will match the Lin offer......There is zero reason not to ...both from a Bball situation and business situation.....
Spanish dude
Kidd
Felton

U have no other true guards on the team......Do not include Shump as he is missing the first 1/3 rd of the season.......If Kidd gets hurt we are dead...so Lin is a must....
Plus a great trading trip to any team looking to fill an arena if Lin plays half as well as he did in those 7 games....

Dolan cannot be this stupid not to sign him..........

Red

TYPE-A
Breaking it down

I can see the strategy of collecting assets. This is the next best thing when managing a capped out team with no draft picks, stock assets.

Glenny G is stacking assets. He's covering his bases so as to prevent what happened last year with the injuries.

Lin vs Felton

Assists: Felton is a pass first guard
Shooting: Felton had a down year but can hit the open three
Speed: Lin was athletic and had a good first step, but a knee injury means a question mark.

Felton gained weight, but he probably was depressed because he had high hopes before being traded from the Knicks. I can understand this given his situation and what we were trying to accomplish at the time.
Defense: Felton

Bottom line: A motivated Felton may be better than a post-injury Lin. Felton can be more stable (athough his recent turn-over numbers and conditioning were compromised)

while Lin may be a distraction.

SIgning both is likely. That way Glenny G has contracts of varying amounts to match if needed by the TDL.

We have depth to avoid an injury excuse going forward.

We have vets that need little instruction.

And IF it is true that Lin "secretly" went back and had the Rockets change the deal thinking the Knicks would match

we could make them swallow the poison pill; leave them with nothing; put assets together to trade for either Picks or Specific help depending on our progress by mid-season (including the return of Shump).

This really isn't bad at all. Lin's contract only affects our Lux Tax implications.:thumbsup:

**We can't say Lin is better after 30 or so games in... especially being influenced by our former coaches dumb system.

Red

TYPE-A
After thinking about it...

I think its best to have this roster run by vets in the back-court.

Its better then having a PG still learning, especially with SHump being young also.

Im not just saying that, I realized there was big "hope" and questions (if Lin can...) tied into Lin being the starter. Like when we had Billups for that short time or Anthony Carter. Cant say enough about vet guards look at what Fisher did in OKC.

Vets Like Kidd, Felt, Camby, KT, and our B'Way Bigs = Less Mistakes, better execution down the stretch.

Kidd was right... the final 6mins wins/loses games. Now we basically have no quetions. Even JR is a vet.

fender0577

Rotation player
Some of you guys are crazy, i'd rather have Felton than Lin at that price.You guys act like Lin is that dude, i'm not paying a project max money.

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
i think this was a great move. as much as i ragged on the Giraffe, he definitely found his niche,
and I'm sorry to see him go. But trading him and Gadzooks for Felton and Kurt Thomas is NOT a bad move.

I think the Knicks will still sign Jeremy Lin. WHY?
just to F*CK WITH HOUSTON C*CKETTES! We got Feltip, they cannot!

Having 3 true point guards (Young-Ling, medium-Fat Felton, and old man Kidd) who can
supplement each other, and keep a steady flow at the point is key!

Having ex-Knicks back in the fold (Kurt Tom, Camby, Felton) is awesome!
savvy vets, O&B!

either way, I'm very happy with these moves, I think Felton will get back in shape,
he's got enough time to do it, and motivation!!

Now we wait 3 days and sign Lin! or not...
c'mon Mr. Colon, suck it up and sign Spike Lin!! this team will be complete!!

PS: aw f*ck, I forgot about the Prigger!

Kurt Thomas back for the Championship !!!! Best move ever ....lol, one of my favorite player's behind starks.

Now seriously, think about it people, Lin will be back, we are going all in, this is a power move. Screw Houston, wanna mess with us, we get both, done...

Can you people imagine the hype and the team we will have if lin gets resigned and we go into the season with the new additions??? This is serious and everyone will know it, knicks are here to win.

Oh and another point that just popped into my head, with the Nets coming to Brooklyn, there is more pressure on the Knicks to do better not to lose fans, or atleast I would assume. I think Dolan will suck it up and surprise everyone by paying the tax and resigning Lin.

Now I am the one that wouldn't be happy with nothing less than a championship. Has to happen one of these 3 years...