GAME 1!!!! Heat vs Knicks Game Thread 10/29

kingDOM312580

Benchwarmer
I know it was only the 1st game but it was a great win for us tonight. Mike D. is a great coach and we will see that more and more as the season progresses. Great coaches make adjustments both in-game and game-to-game adjustments. I not talking about 47 different starting lineups ala Larry Brown but minor, subtle and effective adjustments. Although he didn't do it last night, I guarantee the next time the Knicks have a big lead late in the 3rd period you will see Mike D slow down the offense. I'm not talking about slowing it down to last years pace where we held the ball for 20 seconds and then had Crawford take a desperation shot, but slowing it down and looking for good shots inside. Last night we took a big lead and then started throwing up 3's as if we were down by 20 instead of up by 20.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
A win is a win I know, but if the KNicks believe they will win consistantly this year with Duhon as their primary PG they are ****in fools. Marbury not playing one minute, what sense does that make really. I mean 1 if you are going to trade him at the deadline then play him so other teams can see what they are going to get. If you dont intend on trading him, then let the man play and show why he is the best point guard on this team.

As some of you know, I like Curry, always thought he was going to be a good player, but him not losing 20 pounds or so over the off season basically lead him to where he his, sitting onthe bench.

The defense as we al know is garbage, it wasn't going to be fixed by D'antoni coming in thats for sure. D'antoni is making the same mistake that Isiah made in not bringing in a a coach who specializes in defense. Let's see how things work out though

TunerAddict

Starter
A win is a win I know, but if the KNicks believe they will win consistantly this year with Duhon as their primary PG they are ****in fools. Marbury not playing one minute, what sense does that make really. I mean 1 if you are going to trade him at the deadline then play him so other teams can see what they are going to get. If you dont intend on trading him, then let the man play and show why he is the best point guard on this team.

As some of you know, I like Curry, always thought he was going to be a good player, but him not losing 20 pounds or so over the off season basically lead him to where he his, sitting onthe bench.

The defense as we al know is garbage, it wasn't going to be fixed by D'antoni coming in thats for sure. D'antoni is making the same mistake that Isiah made in not bringing in a a coach who specializes in defense. Let's see how things work out though

It has nothing to do with Mike as to why we can't play interior defense. We just don't have the size. Its hard for David Lee playing center at 6'8" to guard guys who have considerable size in both height and reach over him. Nothing he can do, doesn't matter who is coaching him. You can't teach height.

Thats why we need a tall athletic shot blocker...If only Rome wasn't a fat piece of crap that was injury prone he might actually have a use as defense was the reason we signed him originally...

We need to make a trade because this void is huge. It is going to be our main problem when we play bigger teams... Think about Orlando, Boston, Nets, PHilly, Cleveland, etc... These teams all have legit 7 footer, or atleast close to it, and how can we be expected to stop them with a 6'8" guy...

The only way to stop these guys is to prevent them from getting the ball and that isn't a veru realisitic goal or expectation that we can have...

We need someone...Darko...Shawne Williams...Someone....

It SHOULD improve when Jeffries comes back because he is 6'11" and known for his defense and matches up defensively much better at the 4 and 5. He has the length and size we need. Damn that fibula....

But I think overall you cannot blame the interior defense on Mike because no coach can create defense when you don't have the personel. It cannot be done. Sure sucks they don't let you play zone in the NBA.....

KBlack25

Starter
Tuner: just in re: how the Knicks will stop teams with bigger players, I agree they prob. will have a tough time stopping them. I think what you'll see D'Antoni try to do is tire these guys out. Keep running, keep moving, if you are going to have to try and defend a talented seven footer, getting him exhausted is the best way to do it outside of putting your own seven footer on him...At worst the seven footer has to take a break and sit on the bench and the opponent has to bring in a fresh but not as talented player or the opponent will just play their exhausted 7 footer.

Not saying it will work, just saying that'll prob. be how it's done

metrocard

Legend
damn for a teaM daT only won 23 games lASt seASon, yA sure ARE negative ,like is if we been successful A team

No offense brother, but this is same loser mentality every Isiahsexual used in previous seasons.

Comparing the current season to one of the worst seasons in Franchise history(mostly every year under Isiah's realm).
It makes no sense, has no point of emphasis and really degrades the standards of Knicks fans in general.

Please, in defense of the Knicks nation, stop this sh*t. Its not needed. 23 wins is the past. Stop bringing it up.

We have every right to damn the team for their errors(no one is perfect), but ERRORS that have been continuing and look like to be problems in the future especially we have players who have weakness in those areas(especially post defense).

You sure are positive, jolly, happy, disney, and gay for a Knicks fan...you really need to wake up and smell the coffee.

I'm happy we won the game, but I'm still not happy with the direction this team is headed. Half of the roster I don't want part of the future, and I want changes to start building on the franchise in 2010, where we could finally start over and truly rebuild this team from scratch.

Peace.

metrocard

Legend
Jimcheif, shoot first guards don't have a place in this offense...WTF? Are you retarded? Crawford and Robinson? Duhon isn't even that great of a passer, his scoring is limited, therefor he gets the pass PG title.

You're just not bright to really say Curry is needed with no explanation. No one agrees with you, not even my rivals on this site.

portega1968

El Cacique
i also heard from a reliable sourse that marbury is going to start opening night

no offense Toons, but that one missed worse than a Ben Wallace free throw... or a Jamal Crawford buzzerbeater

I'm excited with this team... even if we lose, at least it's our young guys out there getting their education.

Last edited:

kingDOM312580

Benchwarmer
The Marbury situation is similiar to the Chandler situation last year albiet at opposite ends of the spectrum. Last year fans were right in being all over IT for not playing Chandler and getting him valuable experience, especially since we sucked. This years coach has determined that Marbury is not part of the future and there is no reason for him to take valuable minutes from other players. Like it or not Mike D is the coach and that's his plan and we as fans need to support him and our team. If he falls flat on his face (I don't see that happening) then you can critisize him all you want. It's not like Marbury hasn't been given the chance to prove himself. He's been given 4 years to shed his image as a losing player and has not done anything to redeem himself.

I do see Mike D finally giving up on Mardy and giving his minutes to Steph but that's all Steph will get.

I do also see two scenerios whereby Steph might get some serious run:
1). If by some act of god we become a bonafide playoff contender (unlikely but not impossible).
2). Some other team in contention come trade deadline thinks Marbury is the missing piece to put them over the top and are willing to overpay to rent Marbury for 1/2 a season.

I will say one last thing (and all Knick players and coaches will agree):

ITS TIME FOR STARBURY (AND ALL THE STARBURIANS) TO SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP. LET'S GET BEHIND OUR TEAM AND OUR COACH AND CHEER FOR A SUCESSFUL WINNING SEASON.

KBlack25

Starter
No offense brother, but this is same loser mentality every Isiahsexual used in previous seasons.

Comparing the current season to one of the worst seasons in Franchise history(mostly every year under Isiah's realm).
It makes no sense, has no point of emphasis and really degrades the standards of Knicks fans in general.

Please, in defense of the Knicks nation, stop this sh*t. Its not needed. 23 wins is the past. Stop bringing it up.

We have every right to damn the team for their errors(no one is perfect), but ERRORS that have been continuing and look like to be problems in the future especially we have players who have weakness in those areas(especially post defense).

You sure are positive, jolly, happy, disney, and gay for a Knicks fan...you really need to wake up and smell the coffee.

I'm happy we won the game, but I'm still not happy with the direction this team is headed. Half of the roster I don't want part of the future, and I want changes to start building on the franchise in 2010, where we could finally start over and truly rebuild this team from scratch.

Peace.

I think your issue is more one of logistics. I agree a lot of players on the team aren't plans for the future, but that's why the contract expires. Sometimes you just can't move a guy. It takes a lot more than just snapping your fingers and fixing everything, though I think you realize that.

Of course there's some guys that you don't want on the roster, that's what rebuilding is. I know fans, esp. fans in NY HATE the r-word but that's what they are doing right now. They aren't going to win a championship this year or next, I think more important though is getting the guys who ARE in the future plans time together. I know personally, when I play basketball, I play much better with people I've played with for 4 years or more over people I've never played with, that I think is the important thing this year. There's half that aren't in the future plans, but for the half that ARE, get them playing together. That means letting a guy like Nate run with Chandler and Lee, that means sitting a guy like Curry who you are looking desperately to move, same thing I think with Marbury.

This team might win 30 games, they might not, they might make the playoffs in a depleted East, they might not.

Whatever the case I think if we see real change in the chemistry, a better flow to the game when they younger guys are on the floor, better movement between Gallo and Nate and Chandler and Lee, then this season is a success...

kingDOM312580

Benchwarmer
I think your issue is more one of logistics. I agree a lot of players on the team aren't plans for the future, but that's why the contract expires. Sometimes you just can't move a guy. It takes a lot more than just snapping your fingers and fixing everything, though I think you realize that.

Of course there's some guys that you don't want on the roster, that's what rebuilding is. I know fans, esp. fans in NY HATE the r-word but that's what they are doing right now. They aren't going to win a championship this year or next, I think more important though is getting the guys who ARE in the future plans time together. I know personally, when I play basketball, I play much better with people I've played with for 4 years or more over people I've never played with, that I think is the important thing this year. There's half that aren't in the future plans, but for the half that ARE, get them playing together. That means letting a guy like Nate run with Chandler and Lee, that means sitting a guy like Curry who you are looking desperately to move, same thing I think with Marbury.

This team might win 30 games, they might not, they might make the playoffs in a depleted East, they might not.

Whatever the case I think if we see real change in the chemistry, a better flow to the game when they younger guys are on the floor, better movement between Gallo and Nate and Chandler and Lee, then this season is a success...

:agreed:

The road to success can sometimes be long and hard (although in the Knicks case longer and harder than most).

The blame for our recent failures is a long list of players, coaches, GMs, Presidents and especially one clueless owner.

I truly believe the Knicks downward spiral began with the signing of Alan Houston to a $100 Million contract. A nice player but no superstar deserving of a max contract. The downward spiral ended with the firing of Larry Brown not Isaah. Brown gave the knicks nothing. Isaah (although probably the worst coach in NY Knick history) at least gave us some nice pieces to the puzzle with low draft picks (Lee, Chandler and Nate) and started the Knicks back on the road to sucess. Now with Mike D at the helm you will see the Knicks flourish.

Will the knicks win a championship under D'Antoni, only time will tell. I do know however we are a lot closer now then we've been in the last 10 years.

i agree

omg we muzt b tha same perzun!1

dummies

jimkcchief88

All Star
Jimcheif, shoot first guards don't have a place in this offense...WTF? Are you retarded? Crawford and Robinson? Duhon isn't even that great of a passer, his scoring is limited, therefor he gets the pass PG title.

You're just not bright to really say Curry is needed with no explanation. No one agrees with you, not even my rivals on this site.

Sorry let me slow this down so even you can understand METROTARD. I was referring to shoot first POINT GUARDS. Why do you think Duhon was brought in. A to do what a POINT GUARD is supposed to do first which is get the team into the offense and get the ball to the shooters and B because D'antoni doesn't like Towelhead. I am sure what Walsh is hoping is that the longer Steph is the LAST man off the bench he will revert back to "Starbury" and skip a team flight or refuse to show and he can be bought out at a cheaper price. Don't hate on me because your boy is a malcontent and his actions are catching up with him now. That is how the world works. This team is POINT GUARD heavy so Steph and his attitude are expendable. Don't cry its only game 1, maybe Steph will get in Friday night so team Starbury doesn't have to change thier name before the ALL-STAR break.

As for E-City, I still contend we will need his presence sooner than later on this squad. Just because I am in the minority doesn't mean I'm wrong because Noah was the only man that knew it was going to rain. E-Rob does not play or defend the post and Lee is a hustle player and is too small. Elton Brand is going to kill our frontline Friday night. Eastern conference teams will slow it down on us and kill our frontline. Your other man-crush "Big Cock" isn't even 200 pounds soaking wet. If Udanis Haslem had his way in the paint against our frontline, what are the likes of the Big Ticket, Elton Brand or Rasheed Wallace going to do???

portega1968

El Cacique
If Udanis Haslem had his way in the paint against our frontline, what are the likes of the Big Ticket, Elton Brand or Rasheed Wallace going to do???

not much Knicks can do but try to make them run their assess off.. and if you have them on your fantasy teams, make sure to start them against the Knicks.

Knick games are now about who's gonna get tired first =)

metrocard

Legend

A team can be totally successful within 2-3 years. Lets not act like it takes a milestone of a time.

Cheif, you need to correct yourself next time. Pointguards and guards are two different things.

Gallinari is a better post defender than Curry and he's 200 pounds lighter than him.

Why are you criticizing other's defense when Curry is the worst?

KBlack25

Starter
A team can be totally successful within 2-3 years. Lets not act like it takes a milestone of a time.

Cheif, you need to correct yourself next time. Pointguards and guards are two different things.

Gallinari is a better post defender than Curry and he's 200 pounds lighter than him.

Why are you criticizing other's defense when Curry is the worst?

Hm? Never said anything about PGs, or Gallinari's post defense...I know a team can be totally successful in 2-3 years, but that'd be 2 or 3 years from now, it isn't a snap of a finger...

metrocard

Legend
I wasn't talking to you after line one.

Are you on this forum 24/7 now since your confidence is so low you're now on a mission to prove to metrocard you can be a quality poster? Your effort is comical.

I never said anything about a snap of a finger, I'm not some maricon como tu...snapping your fingers...wtf???

I said we need to start making moves NOW...not trade everyone, but get rid of the players that won't be apart of the future. You need to study more into what rebuilding and "chemistry" is. I study sports performance and pyschology with studies focused in exercise science and sports management...where as you...welll, you... I don't know, you're a nobody...lol stop getting gased and hop off me.

Thanks.

KBlack25

Starter
Well I didn't realize that metrotard.

About the snap of a finger, maricon, I was referring to my own post in which I said the team couldn't snap their fingers and become a contender. It's a figure of speech...I didn't attack you, you are the one flinging personal insults all over the place, not me.

Edit: Nobody else seemed to have a problem with what I had to say, except you. Maybe because you're afraid I'm stealing your thunder. Relax pal, there's room for 2...

Edit 2: Seriously metro, in all seriousness, what kind of stuff does sports psychology entail? I have a couple theories on it myself, but I actually would like to talk about the type of shit you learn. I think sports figures are really interesting in terms of psyche and mental stability, especially with what's going on with Vince Young.

Last edited:

kingDOM312580

Benchwarmer
Finally Metro we've found ground we can agree on...lol. I've been saying for the last 20 years that every sports team needs a sports psychologist as an intregal part of the coaching/management team. The reason prospects, or any player for that matter, fail or underachieve is more times then not inside their heads.

CoolClyde

Scarbury sits and pouts

Starboy is sitting because he's a mental case and mouthed off to Eddie House in preseason. it was horrible sportsmanship, and D'antoni d'ont need d'at. I predict Steph will get minutes imminently and play himself into lineup as soon as team needs him, and he shows mental improvement (ie: team chemistry).

Curry is sitting because he came to camp out of shape, missed preseason and training camp, and runs around like a blind cyclops (thanks Dirk), totally out of sync and hence, not in the rotation.

Malik Rose is next to go, he's looking lost too. When he chucks up 3's it's as painful as watching Jeffries or Balkmania shoot em, way back when.

Gallo looked like a big cock with it's head cut off, running around like blind cyclops... oh wait...

I can't see Chandler not starting for long, Q-Thug needs more bench time, he seems to have good minutes, then disappears. Chandler makes things happen on both ends, and deserves to start.

Ideally, I'd like to see N8, Crawford, Chandler, Lee and Randolph start, or at least get heavy minutes together, but realistically, it'll prob be:

Duhon/N8/Starboy?
Crawford/Collins
Q-Thug/Chandler
Randolph/Gallo?
Lee

Rose
Roberson
Curry
James