Mark Jackson will no longer call Nets Games

MSGKnickz33

The Gold Mac
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/52014/20080417/mark_jackson_quits_on_air/

Mark Jackson Quits On-Air
April 17, 2008 - 7:14 am
New York Post -
The YES Network received a shock yesterday when analyst Mark Jackson announced on the air that he will not be returning to call Net games, the New York Post is reporting.

Jackson is believed to be a candidate for the Knicks' coaching position.

"This was going to be it, anyway [on YES]," Jackson said to the New York Post after the game. "With a wife and four kids in Los Angeles, every game is a road game."

Whats next for Mark Jackson? Was the last paragraph just an excuse to leave Yes? Its not like New York is any closer to LA.

Can I ask why everyones so high on Mark jackson??? I mean everywhere, from the media, to the fans, we've been pushing for him but I cant understand why. He has absolutley no coaching expierience and with the mess we currently have I just dont have any sort of faith that he could make it better.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I don't know about other people, but I like Mark Jackson, because not only is he a former Knick, but he also has a very high basketball IQ. I've seen him announce for Nets games, and for games on National Television, and he knows a lot about basketball, team's weaknesses, and how to improve teams. You don't necessarily need to have a lot of coaching experience to be a good coach. How else could you become a good or great coach, if nobody gives you an opportunity to coach first? Look at Pat Riley, Jeff Van Gundy, Phil Jackson,Lenny Wilkens and Don Nelson. All those guys had to work their way up. They didn't always have lots of basketball experience. Look at Isiah Thomas, for example. He has coaching experience, but the reason why he didn't do well as a Knicks coach is because he doesn't know how to set up the right starting lineups, he doesn't know when to play players at key moments, and he only likes playing the players that make the most money ex: Quentin Richardson(8.5 million/year) and Eddy Curry(9 million/year).

The fact that he was a former Knicks doesn't really hold much weight to me. I don't see how thats gonna help us get better. And as for his basketball IQ you can also make a case isiah has high basketball IQ (Atleast when he played) and look how that turned out. All Im saying is us Knick fans need to be careful and really evaluate who were about to hire and make sure its the right choice. We need to learn from past mistakes and not hire someone just because of their name.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
The fact that he was a former Knicks doesn't really hold much weight to me. I don't see how thats gonna help us get better. And as for his basketball IQ you can also make a case isiah has high basketball IQ (Atleast when he played) and look how that turned out. All Im saying is us Knick fans need to be careful and really evaluate who were about to hire and make sure its the right choice. We need to learn from past mistakes and not hire someone just because of their name.

I said the same about Jackson before I understood that when he was playing he held the title player coach. Not only was he a Knick and a Pacer but he had the ability and freedom to call plays, good ones that worked. Many fans feel that Marc Jackson can be the east's Avery Johnson. I agree that a coach should have experience. Who wants a kid right out of med school to operate on them alone? But Jackson has experience and although I'd like to see Herb get a shot, I would not be opposed to Jackson as coach. It may be possible that Jackson will be hired as GM and Herb as coach. Billy King got an interview but no hire as of yet. That could mean something.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
You make a good point. I think Mark Jackson would definitely be an improvement from having Isiah Thomas, but they do need to look at all the coaching candidates carefully, so that they pick the best person for the job. I think Patrick Ewing would be the best fit, because he has coaching experience, basketball experience, and a strong personality.

nyKnicks126

Go 1990s New York Knicks!
Plus IF Mark Jackson comes in for the coaching job, we automatically will be getting a point guard in this years draft. Derrick Rose with Mark Jackson. Thats a great match right there, Rose a scorer, and Jackson a quick passer, and good team player, Rose will learn from Jackson.

Kennedy Curse

Cutest Guy Here
actually i believe that he will make us a better team...BUT isint this the same guy that everey time i would go 2 yes he would be laughing at the knicks in some kind of way i mean dont blame him but shyt >< In like every game 2 >< just outta nowhere would say something about the knicks

metrocard

Legend
People need to stop panicing.

Mark Jackson will be an upgrade over the garbage Isiah showed us.

I could see Mark Jackson ending up like Bryon Scott. We just need to draft a franchise PG and let Mark Jackson mentor him. PG is the most important position, we could fill the other positions.

Rose
Augustine
Rubio

Those are the 3 PG's that can change this franchise.

Kiyaman

Legend
Can I ask why everyones so high on Mark jackson??? I mean everywhere, from the media, to the fans, we've been pushing for him but I cant understand why. He has absolutley no coaching expierience and with the mess we currently have I just dont have any sort of faith that he could make it better.

The truth be said, Mark Jackson PG leadership lead him and Chris Mullen to the NCAA playoffs each season.
Mark Jackson Rookie season put Patrick Ewing on the NBA map as a Winner.
Mark Jackson & Oakley did not get along because Mark did not see any offense in him the same way Coach Phil Jax did not see any offense in Oakley. So Mark left the Knicks and went to the Spurs and averaged 14 assists that season putting the Spurs back on the NBA Winning map.
Mark Jackson signed with the Indiana Pacers and his leadership bought out the best in the skinny kid Reggie Miller that no one knew existed. However, the Pacers Coach Larry Brown taught Mark Jackson well on what not to do as a head coach.
Mark Jackson left the Pacers and was welcome back to the Knicks to find out that Starks, Oakley, Ewing, and Coach JVG ran the show, no matter how many good plays Mark Jackson added they were set in their own ways on the Knicks. That is why Mark Jackson did not take an assistant job with JVG when he retired.

Mark Jackson learned that coaching & playing involves different changes of improvement every season that was something JVG, Ewing, Oakley, and Starks did not want to do.
The Knicks G.M. Ernie Grunfield got Fired trying to force a change out of them for the better of the Knicks.
Mark Jackson was supposed to become JVG assistant coach instead of Don Chaney.

Throughout Isiah tour with the Detroit Pistons they changed for better players every season since Isiah rookie season.
Having Edwards & Lambeer at Center got the Pistons the two bigmen they needed against the eastern conference, but it was the performance of "Joe Dumars" combo-guard experience on offense/defense that put the Pistons over the top of the edge in the regular and postseason games.
Having the same competitive coach and coaching staff for over 8 years also help to get Isiah two championship rings too.