Why are we in pursuit of a PG

New New York

Quiet Storm
I'm not a Marbaury hater nor am I a die hard supporter, so my feelings are not inspired by anything other than wanting the best for my favorite team.With that in an egg shell.....why is our top priority to acquire a PG? What about Steph's game does not translate into the D'antoni system? Granted he is not the playmaker Nash is, but it is not at all unrealistic to think Steph can stil get 8 or 9 assist a game. He is a PG that likes to push the ball, and I thought that was the cornerstone of the Dantoni offense. Is Steph the best PG in the league, quite frankly, hell no! But he can still put up solid numbers. Really I think Steph could still easily average 16 and 8, now again he is not the best PG in the league, but name me another PG that the Knicks realistically have a shot at acquiring that is better, Kirk Hinrich is the only one that comes to mind, but 1. I don't think it is realistic to think we could get him, and 2. Steph playing at a high level is better than Hinrich. I know that he is in the final year of his deal so we have to consider his replacement, but say we trade Lee for Felton and Steph comes back like he for the final three months of the 06/07 season we would have a big problem. Look I have always been a fan of Nash even when he was still with The Mavs, but there is noone in the world that would have ever thought that he would be the PG he is today. The freedom of Dantoni's system really helped him evolve. Now Nash is very unselfish, and sorry to say Steph has not shown that, but I honestly believe that he'll do anything to see The Knicks win, and I also think that he wants to dead the notion of being a "coach killer" so he'll do what is asked of him.

My point (no pun intended) is that I don't see the major need. Now had we gotten the number 1 and we had a shot at Rose then that is no brainer, but I didnt understand why we were thinking of trying to convert players like Mayo,Bayless and Westbrook into PGs over a ready made NBA PG? It just seemed a little too desperate a move considering we do have a quality PG. Maybe there is some bad blood between Steph and Dantoni from Pheonix, because it doesn't make sense that he wouldn't atleast give him one season to try to run this team.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I just saw Mike Dantoni's interview about the pick, it's nice to see that he thinks Wilson Chandler "has a bright future". I really thought last nights pick spelled the end for him. Also it looks like were going to have a stacked Summer League Team, Mike said Nate will be there for sure, you know Wilson and Dino will be there, maybe we go undefeated again!

But back to the PG talk, I can see us going for a player like Carlos Arryo as a back up PG, that makes sense.But lets give Steph a chance. It is obvious from Donnie Walsh's interview on MSG that we are not done making moves, so we'll see.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Not a bad Idea for Steph to get up with them. I don't know how many players are allowed on the team, but if he wanted to run in a couple of games to get a feel for the system then I'd say go for it! Here is the schedule http://www.nba.com/media/summerleague2008/1d1_NBA_SL_ScheduleFlyer_NewW.pdf

TunerAddict

Starter
Thats what ive been wondering. We have three PGs already, one a former allstar, and everyone says we should draft a PG. What we needed to do was get rid of our fat lard players.

metrocard

Legend
Marbury will flourish under D'Antoni because D'Antoni knows how to use his player's strengths Isiah and Brown didn't do this for Marbury, hench Marbury's decrease in production.
Marbury will be back though, GetReal will be crying for doubting him.

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
I do belive marbury will have a productive season. pringles will let him play to his strenghts. My only doubt is who will be playing next to him? Crawford is ok but his shooting needs to improve. Id like to see Q at SG. He had his best season under Mike and he knows the system. Chandler at the 3 and danilo at 4. Both got range and can hit shots.

as for the summer league i would like Steph to play. he needs o become the leader of this team agian and needs to know the system inside out.

Trin_Starr

Starter
I agree.
Marbury's game was stifled by isiah and LB. The only real time he ever played his game was under Lenny and we made the playoffs...the next season H20 got hurt, JC got turf toe and there went our season and Isiah canned Lenny after that.

D'Antoni's system uses 2 of Marbury's greatest strengths - the ability to perfectly execute a pick n roll; and spreading the floor with shooters so that steph can easily drive to the basket and/or suck the defense in and dish to the open man on the perimeter.

LOIOSH30

Benchwarmer
Yeah, the return to the pick-n-roll after about a year and a half of never using it, will help Marburys' game emmensely. Gallinari should be the perfect fit with Stephon in the pick-n-roll, and along with Q, if Q can get in shape, Steph will have options he can trust to pass off to as he drives to the hole.:thumbsup:

metrocard

Legend
I agree.
Marbury's game was stifled by isiah and LB. The only real time he ever played his game was under Lenny and we made the playoffs...the next season H20 got hurt, JC got turf toe and there went our season and Isiah canned Lenny after that.

D'Antoni's system uses 2 of Marbury's greatest strengths - the ability to perfectly execute a pick n roll; and spreading the floor with shooters so that steph can easily drive to the basket and/or suck the defense in and dish to the open man on the perimeter.

Thats probably the most important thing said in this thread. The pick and roll. Thanks for pointing it out.

If we perfect the pick and roll, our offense should be fine. Its not like we don't have guys who can't create their own shots; but I'm glad Mike here because the Isiah days of isolation basketball is gone.

We're going to see a lot of ball movement and Gallinari was an obvious pick because having a point forward is HUGE, a big man who can pass opens everything up for your team.

I can't wait till the summer league.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I hate to throw salt on the borderline queer Marbury love but under D'Antoni's system this wont be Marbury's team... It will be Crawfords'. (Some one queue the dramatic chipmunk music.)
Crawford is the best or second best scorer on the team and can run the floor, probably better than Marbury.

metrocard

Legend
I hate to throw salt on the borderline queer Marbury love but under D'Antoni's system this wont be Marbury's team... It will be Crawfords'. (Some one queue the dramatic chipmunk music.)
Crawford is the best or second best scorer on the team and can run the floor, probably better than Marbury.

Marbury is a better scorer than Crawford.

Marbury is a career 20 ppg scorer, Crawford barely touches 15.

Marbury shoots a higher FG%.
Giiven the freedom, Marbury gets buckets. Give Crawford freedom, he's either on or really off.

Marbury is also the best passer and PG on this team, and right now the best player despite his downfall season.

Crawford will hit the bench, Richardson will start because of his experience under D'Antoni.

Walsh is going to trade Crawford before Marbury goes also.

LOIOSH30

Benchwarmer
Marbury is a better scorer than Crawford.

Marbury is a career 20 ppg scorer, Crawford barely touches 15.

Marbury shoots a higher FG%.
Giiven the freedom, Marbury gets buckets. Give Crawford freedom, he's either on or really off.

Marbury is also the best passer and PG on this team, and right now the best player despite his downfall season.

Crawford will hit the bench, Richardson will start because of his experience under D'Antoni.

Walsh is going to trade Crawford before Marbury goes also.

You didn't even bring up the fact that Crawfuls' frail ass is too scared to attack the rim, something Marbury excells at...

New New York

Quiet Storm
You people are all delusional seriously. This is so sad

OK elaborate!?

Please explain how it is far fetched to think that a player with Marbaury's skill set will not thrive in Dantoni's system? People beleive Nate and Jamal are going to have a big season, what about their game translates more so than Steph's?

Please tell me another PG on this team capable of running this offense. Read my very first post, I am not claiming he is the best PG in the league, nor am I saying for sure he will turn into an All Star, but who on the team is better suited to run the offense, or who do we have a realistic shot at to come in here and run the show?

The question that I pose again is what is this desperate need for a PG? Which then begs the question is Dantoni telling the truth when he says he has no ill feelings towards Marbaury.

New New York

Quiet Storm

I think they both run the floor about the same. And no offense to Crawford fans, but I don't think Jamal's game is stable enough to build a team around. I think he will get a lot of shots in Dantoni's sytem, but he got a lot of shots last year too. Some said it before, I see Q becoming the starting SG with Jamal becoming the sixth man.