Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I wouldn't go as far as calling him a fraud. Anthony is the best or second best scorer in the league. (Possibly 2nd to Kevin Durant) I've been on the fence on D'Antoni, but the Knicks problems are lack of a traditional floor general point guard and coaching. There's no doubt about it. There is no excuse for a team chucking up 30 3 pointers. That's a coaching issue. I've watched games where Amare barely touches the ball or when he does get it, it's at the top of the ****ing key. So the best power forward in the east (struggling but still the best) who is usually very effective in the paint gets the ball in a position to take the toughest 3 point shot in the game of basketball. Why not just pass him the ball to take a half-court shot? Again, these are all coaching issues.

Allowing Melo to take 30 shots per game: coaching issue.
Handing to keys to the offense over to Tony Douglas after 10 basically failed games early on: coaching issue.

I'm sure you can make a much larger list than this. Here's a thought, make Melo run the point. Just in a game against a shitty team to see what happens. He's got to get better at making the team better.

Final thought: Driving the ball inside has to be a constant effort. Teams that play inside get to the fowl line more often which can be a game changer. How the **** are you getting to the line when you jack up 30 "3s"?

metrocard

Legend
I wouldn't go as far as calling him a fraud. Anthony is the best or second best scorer in the league. (Possibly 2nd to Kevin Durant) I've been on the fence on D'Antoni, but the Knicks problems are lack of a traditional floor general point guard and coaching. There's no doubt about it. There is no excuse for a team chucking up 30 3 pointers. That's a coaching issue. I've watched games where Amare barely touches the ball or when he does get it, it's at the top of the ****ing key. So the best power forward in the east (struggling but still the best) who is usually very effective in the paint gets the ball in a position to take the toughest 3 point shot in the game of basketball. Why not just pass him the ball to take a half-court shot? Again, these are all coaching issues.

Allowing Melo to take 30 shots per game: coaching issue.
Handing to keys to the offense over to Tony Douglas after 10 basically failed games early on: coaching issue.

I'm sure you can make a much larger list than this. Here's a thought, make Melo run the point. Just in a game against a shitty team to see what happens. He's got to get better at making the team better.

Final thought: Driving the ball inside has to be a constant effort. Teams that play inside get to the fowl line more often which can be a game changer. How the **** are you getting to the line when you jack up 30 "3s"?

I disagree with Melo's scoring being that high. I'll take Rose, Griffin, Love, Aldridge, and James scoring over Melo.

Melo is shooting 39%. Don't believe he'll finish the season like that, BUT we're about almost half way into the season. Efficiency > Volume. I rather see Melo get to the free throw line, his shot selection and shooting accuracy has hurt us.

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
I don't like how Melo is playing.

He's shooting like a cross between Chauncey Billups and Tyler Hansbrough.

Amar'e Stoudemire is playing like he deserves 8 million/yr and not the
20 million he's getting.

I want to see how they play after Antoni gets thrown in a dumpster.
I don't want to trade anyone yet.

But Jello and SHAT are playing like they belong in Turkey.

Melo still hasn't found his place on this Knicks team and J lin has lead us to 2 straight wins while Chandler has looked like our real Capt.
Shit you can even see how the team listens to Jefferies and huddles around him
I'm not saying trade Melo yet but we only got him for 2 more years if next year he's shitty we can move his expiring and Big NAME contract for some good pieces similar to what DEN did

pakopako

Benchwarmer
Melo is shooting 39%. Don't believe he'll finish the season like that, BUT we're about almost half way into the season. Efficiency > Volume. I rather see Melo get to the free throw line, his shot selection and shooting accuracy has hurt us.
I blame injuries for the inaccuracy. The shot selection, that's just his brain frying.

Hoping that when he gets back by March, he'll have some practice with Lin and Chandler and won't be getting 35+ MPG. (Pretty sure that's what gave him more injuries. Unless his body absolutely totally crapped out, then we're in trouble.)

KBlack25

Starter
Calling all Melo defenders.

It's been a while since I posted on here as work has me bogged down but after last night i am breaking my long held silence.

I can't take it anymore. EC Player of the Month, a great April. But we finished this season pretty close to the six seed where we'd be against a pacers team we could beat. Why aren't we there? Because Melo didn't like the coach and quite frankly I'm effing sick of this.

Never before in my life have I seen a Knicks player quit on his teammates, admit he quit on his teammates and then have all forgiven when he actually gave half of a crap on this team. This guy is a nine year vet, but he needs a coach to come in and hold his hand and check on him like a freaking six year old?

This guy is a joke. Say what you want about amare who has not had a great year, he never quit on this team and these fans.

And maybe if Carmelo cared for more than half a year we wouldn't be getting embarrassed by Miami.

KBlack25

Starter
Honestly, I've been around the block here enough and have had enough unpopular opinions here that I am not concerned what any of his defenders say.

I posted this for another Knicks site a while ago, and it holds true now. And maybe if Melo didn't quit, we'd be looking at a six seed or better.

Here are the facts: It is Carmelo Anthony?s 9th season in the league. He makes upwards of $18 million every year. He nearly disgraced himself and acted selfishly in Denver to force his way to New York in time to sign a hefty extension. He will turn 28 this year. And he had to actively ask Mike Woodson to hold him accountable.

Yes, a man with nearly a decade of experience in the NBA with a maximum contract needs to be monitored like a 6-year-old boy. How does a Melo fan rationalize that? I am not making up that Carmelo Anthony did not try under Coach D?Antoni ? he actively admitted it. Where have we seen this sort of ?I?m going to do what I want to do, and try when I feel like it? mentality in New York before? Stephon Marbury. Steph quit on Larry Brown and quit on Isiah Thomas ? and yet always seemed to be absolved by the MSG faithful of any wrongdoing. We ignored Steph crying his way out of Minnesota when KG got paid more than him, we ignored how willing the Nets and the Suns were to get rid of a guy that was supposed to be superstar.

It was never Steph?s fault. Always everybody else?s. How?s that for accountability?

And now we are seeing the same thing with Carmelo.

The fact that Carmelo lacks the self-motivation to actually give half of a crap on a defense reeks not only of the selfishness we saw from Steph, but of the selfishness we saw from Carmelo just over a year ago when he held the Denver Nuggets hostage to get a trade done.

Carmelo begged for this, he begged for the spotlight, he begged for the impatient nature of the New York media (really, guys, how many Knicks games have you really watched if you are begging for the media to show patience?). And what did Carmelo do when he got here?

He quit.

He gave up.

He stomped his feet until a new coach came in to monitor him. Like a child.

The fact that he needs monitoring, that he needs to be held accountable by some third party to actually give a damn is what is scary about Carmelo. Not the missed shots ? eventually they should start falling just by simple regression to the mean. He is a professional athlete, an experienced one. Why should he ?need? a tough coach to play well? If he?s the superstar worth the bounty that the Knicks paid for him, shouldn?t he be self motivated to actually care to win for the city he pushed to come to and he ?grew up? in (I use the term ?grew up? loosely ? he moved away from New York at 8)?

I am sick of the excuses for Carmelo, just like I was sick of the excuses for Stephon Marbury. Carmelo has now quit on two of his previous coaches, one of whom took shots at him the second he stepped on the plane to New York. Eventually, we as fans have to realize: maybe the player is the problem, and not everybody else.

I want to believe Melo can turn it around, can get himself motivated, to want to be the superstar we all want him to be. But right now, he seems to care more about himself than he does the mental health and chemistry of the other 14 guys on the floor.

I wonder what the excuse will be when he quits on Mike Woodson.

It's been a while since I posted on here as work has me bogged down but after last night i am breaking my long held silence.

I can't take it anymore. EC Player of the Month, a great April. But we finished this season pretty close to the six seed where we'd be against a pacers team we could beat. Why aren't we there? Because Melo didn't like the coach and quite frankly I'm effing sick of this.

Never before in my life have I seen a Knicks player quit on his teammates, admit he quit on his teammates and then have all forgiven when he actually gave half of a crap on this team. This guy is a nine year vet, but he needs a coach to come in and hold his hand and check on him like a freaking six year old?

This guy is a joke. Say what you want about amare who has not had a great year, he never quit on this team and these fans.

And maybe if Carmelo cared for more than half a year we wouldn't be getting embarrassed by Miami.

I don't know why people are so obsessed with playing the Pacers or Bulls in the first round. Yes, we probably would have beaten them 4-3 or whatever, BUT the Heat would have killed us anyway, no matter who our first round opponent was.

Had we beaten the Cavs, we might have made it out of the first round (although I honestly doubt that). Anyway, Miami would have raped us in the second round then.

So what'S the point?

It's like a doomed man getting another weak before he gets executed.

This roster is nowhere near good enough.

Look what the Clippers did in one damn offseason...

Look what the Spurs are doing for 15 years.....

Look what the Thunder did in 3-4 years...

our management is just freaking incompetent. Worst in all of sports, by quite some margin!

orangeblobman

Rotation player
That was my biggest thing, it's that he quit on the team.

And when guys were hyped about the little win-streak after the MDA firing, I was telling them, I said "dude, this guy QUIT on the team; you don't just change overnight like that; it's ****ed to do what he did and it betrays a questionable character and approach to the game".

He's a bastard, and he's not a winner, and look, to my mind, we're entering an era that will challenge the Marbury days for wack sauceness.

KBlack25

Starter
I don't know why people are so obsessed with playing the Pacers or Bulls in the first round. Yes, we probably would have beaten them 4-3 or whatever, BUT the Heat would have killed us anyway, no matter who our first round opponent was.

Had we beaten the Cavs, we might have made it out of the first round (although I honestly doubt that). Anyway, Miami would have raped us in the second round then.

So what'S the point?

It's like a doomed man getting another weak before he gets executed.

This roster is nowhere near good enough.

Look what the Clippers did in one damn offseason...

Look what the Spurs are doing for 15 years.....

Look what the Thunder did in 3-4 years...

our management is just freaking incompetent. Worst in all of sports, by quite some margin!

So because if we met the Heat later down the line we would have lost, we should just absolve someone for quitting on the team and get bounced in the first round instead of trying to make a run at it and gain some playoff momentum?

That's the positive attitude I'm looking for!

Red

TYPE-A

Yeah!

It was Melo. Because when he was hurt he was faking! All he had to do was care, and then the MDA system, especially the defensive component would have worked! (Sarcasm)

Go back to bed. (Seriously):boohoo:

KBlack25

Starter
Yeah!

It was Melo. Because when he was hurt he was faking! All he had to do was care, and then the MDA system, especially the defensive component would have worked! (Sarcasm)

Go back to bed. (Seriously):boohoo:

Say what you want about the MDA system...it's obvious Melo decided not to try. He admitted as much.

I can't accept not trying.

metrocard

Legend
KBlack, you always use logic in your thoughts, so you will never be doubted here. Speak your mind.

I just don't think its fair to judge Melo in the playoffs because we're not a healthy roster right now.

Our backcourt is Baron Davis and Landry Fields....Eisley/Anderson were better than that and thats pretty horrible.

KBlack25

Starter
KBlack, you always use logic in your thoughts, so you will never be doubted here. Speak your mind.

I just don't think its fair to judge Melo in the playoffs because we're not a healthy roster right now.

Our backcourt is Baron Davis and Landry Fields....Eisley/Anderson were better than that and thats pretty horrible.

It's not as much the playoff output I'm concerned about.

Fact is - we are overmatched and injured right now.

My concern is that Melo didn't care for half a year, admitted he didn't care, and now we are paying the price by sitting at 7. Granted, we drew a bad matchup and probably could have drawn the Bulls. But we also could have drawn the Celtics, Pacers, or Hawks if Melo played to his ability.

Edit: Sidenote - I honestly think if this series was Amare, Chandler, Gallinari, Felton, Wilson Chandler, JR Smith, Novak, Fields we probably win this series.

So because if we met the Heat later down the line we would have lost, we should just absolve someone for quitting on the team and get bounced in the first round instead of trying to make a run at it and gain some playoff momentum?

That's the positive attitude I'm looking for!

No, but it's completely irrelevant in our current situation.

If he did what you said he did you are 100% right and I couldn't agree more with you, but Miami are still raping us and would have raped us.

Melo is who he is, Amar'e is who he is, Chandler is who he is.

It's the combination of players/coaches on our team that is just absurd and wack as hell.

If everything was sunshine and rainbows the Heat would still rape us.
We don't have a point guard, our center can't score apart from alley-op and the occasional putback, our power forward has no post game at all and is a below par rebounder, our small forward is a chucker on offense and a subpar defender, our shooting guard is in hospital with a torn ACL and our bench is a bunch of bullshit.

This roster is a chemical experiment gone horribly wrong.

I'd cut everyone but Shumpert and Lin and maybe Jordan and start from scratch next season if I could.

Try to emulate the Spurs way of building a team, because there is a reason they're good like forever.

KBlack25

Starter
No, but it's completely irrelevant in our current situation.

If he did what you said he did you are 100% right and I couldn't agree more with you, but Miami are still raping us and would have raped us.

Melo is who he is, Amar'e is who he is, Chandler is who he is.

It's the combination of players/coaches on our team that is just absurd and wack as hell.

If everything was sunshine and rainbows the Heat would still rape us.
We don't have a point guard, our center can't score apart from alley-op and the occasional putback, our power forward has no post game at all and is a below par rebounder, our small forward is a chucker on offense and a subpar defender, our shooting guard is in hospital with a torn ACL and our bench is a bunch of bullshit.

This roster is a chemical experiment gone horribly wrong.

I'd cut everyone but Shumpert and Lin and maybe Jordan and start from scratch next season if I could.

Try to emulate the Spurs way of building a team, because there is a reason they're good like forever.

I'm keeping Chandler. No way I'm cutting him under any circumstance.

And, in fairness, the Spurs are awesome because they tanked and got lucky twice (Robinson in 87, Duncan in 97) and have the guy who is, in my opinion, the best coach in the league right now and probably over the last 10 years (yes, even over Phil).

clumsy

Rotation player
lol it's funny how everyone is blaming melo when the clear reason that we aren't competitive is that Amare is no longer a great player. He can't seem to score anymore at his Natural position (PF) and he can't play defense or rebound for anything.