Calling LJ & OT!

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

421158_3099411839496_1090158690_33148703_577220392_n.jpg
CALLING THE CAP GURUS
417448_3099411319483_1090158690_33148702_360201398_n.jpg
large_2.11img7.jpg

I am looking for your expertise on the following scenarios regarding Jeremy Lin's upcoming contractual situation.

Is the following correct?

- Linsatiable agrees to a qualifying offer next year. The following year, he will become a FA able to sign with any team @ X salary over X years.

- Grunwald offers him the average salary of $5M next season, with annual increments of 7.5% over 5 years throughout the prime of his career. PREFERABLE!

- Head Office offer him the MLE for 1 season then he becomes a full Bird rights player and will thus be applicable for max money.

- We can offer the MLE for 2 or 3 seasons and Lin subsequently becomes a Bird Rights contract in this scenario also.

- Grunwald puts the biannual deal on the table next season @ for $1.9M again making Lin a full Bird Rights player.

- Question 1: What if another team were to offer Lin a lucrative deal in the off-season prior to our re-signing of Lin.

- Question 2: Are players able to restructure contracts?

Thank you, good sirs.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Crazy⑧s;205602 said:

- Question 1: What if another team were to offer Lin a lucrative deal in the off-season prior to our re-signing of Lin.

- Question 2: Are players able to restructure contracts?

Thank you, good sirs.

1.) He will be a restricted free agent this offseason. We will be able to match any offer, regardless of our cap situation.

2.) Only contracts signed under the new CBA are permitted to be restructured. Melo and Amare's contracts cannot be restructured. Chandler's can though.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
1.) He will be a restricted free agent this offseason. We will be able to match any offer, regardless of our cap situation.

2.) Only contracts signed under the new CBA are permitted to be restructured. Melo and Amare's contracts cannot be restructured. Chandler's can though.

1. Brilliant

2. Gay - and presumably, even if either were miraculously willing, there is no flexibility, loophole or otherwise in this regard?

Thanks very much, LJ.

A round of applause for our resident capologist. :aplause:

Chandler's contract is untouchable though!

Boy he derserves his $14 million!

We simply should have cut Billups and used the amnesty on Stoudemire or Anthony.

Would have had enough money to sign Chandler AND about $20 million in extra cap space next offseason, could have used that money on Fields, Lin and 1 or 2 solid free agents for the SF and SG position.

skisloper

Starter
Chandler's contract is untouchable though!

Boy he derserves his $14 million!

We simply should have cut Billups and used the amnesty on Stoudemire or Anthony.

Would have had enough money to sign Chandler AND about $20 million in extra cap space next offseason, could have used that money on Fields, Lin and 1 or 2 solid free agents for the SF and SG position.

Whats the story with Fields contract ?
again do the Knicks have the ability to match any offer ?
was picking up TD's last year option a mistake in regards to any cap effects ?

Fields will be out of contract next season as far as I know, I don't know whether we can match any offer on second round picks....

I hope so. He's a keeper, either at the SG or even better imo at the SF position with Shumpert playing SG.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
My understanding is Landry qualifies to become an RFA after this season. All what we have to do is to submit a qualifying offer by a certain date (heard of 06.30). If he becomes an RFA we're able to match any offer regardless of our payroll situation. However, if we decide not to do so, he'll be a UFA which makes him free to sign with any NBA team.

Last edited:

skisloper

Starter
My understanding is Landry qualifies to become an RFA after this season. All what we have to do is to submit a qualifying offer by a certain date (heard of 06.30). If he becomes and RFA we're able to match any offer regardless of our payroll situation. However, if we decide not to do so, he'll be an UFA which makes him free to sign with any NBA team.

So Lin's contract and Fields contract have no effect on eachother ?

KingofNy

Starter
Crazy⑧s;205607 said:
1. Brilliant

2. Gay - and presumably, even if either were miraculously willing, there is no flexibility, loophole or otherwise in this regard?

Thanks very much, LJ.

A round of applause for our resident capologist. :aplause:

+1000000 I totally agree...Thanks LJ! Rep +1!

abcd

KnicksonLIN.com
The Knicks need to offer Jephon Linbury a contract extension right now.
If they wait until the end of the season, there will be a bidding war, and then he will end up somewhere else.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Did you read what other people wrote? He's not going anywhere, because we can match any offer. Dolan knows this kiddo is a cash cow, so even if someone offers $10M/year, we're going to match it.

amazinz5

Benchwarmer
Did you read what other people wrote? He's not going anywhere, because we can match any offer. Dolan knows this kiddo is a cash cow, so even if someone offers $10M/year, we're going to match it.

i think the point he was making is to lock him up BEFORE someone offers 10 mil...

.....let the crucifiction and the rape and murder of logic begin

KingofNy

Starter
i think the point he was making is to lock him up BEFORE someone offers 10 mil...

.....let the crucifiction and the rape and murder of logic begin

I agree, lock him up now. I've seen enough to give him a contract. The kid needs job security and to feel like he's welcome here. No better way to show that then to show him the $$$. Also he'll definitely come cheaper now then at the end of the season. If he keeps this up he's going to require a MAX contract and we don't want to have to pay that.

CoolClyde

D'oh-lan ain't worried about paying $$, he'll just charge more for the handicap seats...
he paid out $12M for Anushka just to get the f*ck out, he'll pay Spike Lin $10M just to
stay the f*ck in! not only is Lin-da worth his weight in gold, but he brings the Asian
community in, to fill the seats and sell out the Gardlin, and THAT my friends, is worth
every penny to a corporate gonad like D'oh-lan.
:2cents:

Danilo

Benchwarmer
I agree, lock him up now. I've seen enough to give him a contract. The kid needs job security and to feel like he's welcome here. No better way to show that then to show him the $$$. Also he'll definitely come cheaper now then at the end of the season. If he keeps this up he's going to require a MAX contract and we don't want to have to pay that.
I think thats the wrong thinking... At the end of the year we can offer him 5 mill a year, I cant see him accepting more than a 2 or 3 yr deal at that rate. If another team wants to step in and offer him, say, 10 mill for 5 years we would match. That would be perfect for both parties. That way we lock him up for the conceivable future, at a reasonable price.

KingofNy

Starter
I think thats the wrong thinking... At the end of the year we can offer him 5 mill a year, I cant see him accepting more than a 2 or 3 yr deal at that rate. If another team wants to step in and offer him, say, 10 mill for 5 years we would match. That would be perfect for both parties. That way we lock him up for the conceivable future, at a reasonable price.

I'm not a capologist like some here but I find it hard to believe that we can field almost 4 max contracts (which is what Lin will get if he keeps this up), and still have any $$$ left to sign anyone else in the next few years. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

Hey LJ or OT, can you tell me how the below situation would work out?

Say Lin continues to be a beast and we don't sign him by the end of the season. Then we give Lin an offer in the mid-level exception range and another team offers him multi-year offer worth 11M per year. If we match that offer how will it affect our cap after the following season (2014-2016 etc)? Can we really afford to have almost 4 max players and still field a decent team? Also, if we did sign him for the max does that mean Landry would be shown the door? Thanks guys!

KingofNy

Starter
from what i've read it sounds like you can sign both no matter how much other teams offer them

Yea but how does that affect our cap when it comes to signing other free-agents in the coming years or resigning our other players when their contracts are up? I don't understand how resigning our own free agents, even max-contract guys, doesn't affect our cap?

JazRedGT

Benchwarmer
We will never have free agent cap space again until amare and melo are gone. We will have mid levels though and you can also sign vet mins. Oh and there is no hard cap so we can max it up on all our bird rights players.