Knicks Salary Cap Going Forward

Just so I'm clear, now that we have Amare, Melo, and Chandler locked-up, will we have any salary cap space in the next couple years to make a run at any significant free agents or is this pretty much it (i.e. those 3 guys plus the draft and bargain bin)? Just wondering.

Also, second question, anyone think of Run AMC yet as the nickname for our new starting frontline?

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I don't think that there will be enough space to do anything big, we'll have seven players under contracts of total value of ~$59M + there is Douglas' option of $2M. And we'll probably consider resigning a couple of players including Davis, Fields and Walker. I think all what we'll be able to do next offseason is to offer minimum exceptions and full mid-level.

Wargames

Starter
Basically the knicks need baron to play well ao they can get a good player with the full MLE, also someone decent with the 2.5 and thats it. If the knicks sign K.mart that is another body for 2 years. Next year we can draft someone as well. So in theory in 2-3 years we will have some decent roleplayers.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Basically the knicks need baron to play well ao they can get a good player with the full MLE, also someone decent with the 2.5 and thats it. If the knicks sign K.mart that is another body for 2 years. Next year we can draft someone as well. So in theory in 2-3 years we will have some decent roleplayers.
But, we have to use our cap room MLE before this season ends and we have a second round pick...

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
So no room to make a significant signing? Idk if anyone else feels this way and I'm not one to start talking about stuff thats already done but does anyone think Chandler's contract is a bit high. Maybe I did miss what Golden state offered him and what other teams did as well. But 14 mill a year is kind of high in my opinion. I was reading this article about the contract and it kind of shows that once again we may have overpaid for a player.

Check this out:
First, let us review the contract, it is worth $58 million over four years, with the first year starting at plus $12 million. This contract increases as time wears on.
Here's the list of players making within $3 million of Chandler:
Josh Smith (12.4), Al Horford (12), Paul Pierce (15.3), Carlos Boozer (13.5), Luol Deng (12.3), Antawn Jamison (15.1), Danny Granger (12), LeBron James (16), Chris Bosh (16), Dwyane Wade (15.7), Andrew Bogut (12), Deron Williams (16.4), Andre Iguodala (13.5), Elton Brand (17.1), Jason Terry (11.7), David Lee (11.6), Kevin Martin (11.5), Chris Kaman (12.6), Andrew Bynum (14.9), Zach Randolph (15.2), Rudy Gay (15), Chris Paul (16.4), Emeka Okafor (12.6), Kevin Durant (13.6), Steve Nash (11.7), LaMarcus Aldridge (12.6), Manu Ginobili (11.9), Tony Parker (12.5), Al Jefferson (14).

But than again Chandler is most effective with a true pg where he becomes more than a one demensional player. If you want to check the rest of the article its kind of interesting heres the link. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/980546-assessing-the-tyson-chandler-deal-did-the-knicks-overpay

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
i guess when u sign the big '3'... better make sure they are.....

People on this forum really need to stop referring to STAT, Melo, and Chandler as some sort of big 3. Another signing that can be compared to Chandlers this offseason was Deandre Jordan and he got 4 years 43 mil. Now although Chandler got a lot of praise for what he did for Dallas last season, is he really worth this much money and the sacrifce to get other above average players? Maybe I'm reacting way too early and I hope I'm worng but Chandler is an overly glorfied Marcus Camby. Just a big body who can clog the middle and block shots but cant play in the post with his back to the basket.

So now that were pretty much at the cap, we must HOPE that Baron Davis plays well and HOPE that he signs again next year for a min. Also HOPE that we can get other cheap players who are halfway decent. HOPE that we can get someone good in the second round. HOPE that we use that mid level on someone who can help. My biggest HOPE is that Shump becomes more than just a J.R smith kind of player. I see a lot of parrells between thier games I just HOPE he is more team oriented and a shut down defender. (o and also STAT's knees hold up and we dont f'd on that contract)

My bad if I sound like I'm going off but I'm typing this sitting on a toilet at work.

Wargames

Starter
People on this forum really need to stop referring to STAT, Melo, and Chandler as some sort of big 3. Another signing that can be compared to Chandlers this offseason was Deandre Jordan and he got 4 years 43 mil. Now although Chandler got a lot of praise for what he did for Dallas last season, is he really worth this much money and the sacrifce to get other above average players? Maybe I'm reacting way too early and I hope I'm worng but Chandler is an overly glorfied Marcus Camby. Just a big body who can clog the middle and block shots but cant play in the post with his back to the basket.

So now that were pretty much at the cap, we must HOPE that Baron Davis plays well and HOPE that he signs again next year for a min. Also HOPE that we can get other cheap players who are halfway decent. HOPE that we can get someone good in the second round. HOPE that we use that mid level on someone who can help. My biggest HOPE is that Shump becomes more than just a J.R smith kind of player. I see a lot of parrells between thier games I just HOPE he is more team oriented and a shut down defender. (o and also STAT's knees hold up and we dont f'd on that contract)

My bad if I sound like I'm going off but I'm typing this sitting on a toilet at work.

dude T. Chandler is worth the money trust me. The Mav's said hey take $20 Million for 1 year because we want you to stay but we want to have space because they only held Dwight and Deron Williams at a higher value. The problem is he needs a PG to do the offensive things that D'eandre does however he is already altering shots and blocking shots and getting rebounds (which would be easier if other players helped besides Melo (who missed the same layup for the slash). Also J Jordan ....no playing time so T Chandler has to assume if he fouls out no Center.

You have to give D'antoni credit he was using Amare at the five so he could use his speed against back up centers but it hasn't been working because he has just been shooting...

Anyhow T Chandler was a good move. The smart moves the Knicks need to do to fix this ship and earn a chip is as follows depending on the coach etc etc

D'antoni is the coach

Sign K. Mart this year, go into next season and draft a pass first PG in the second (PG's are actually easy *See norris cole. The issue is the knicks didn't know they we're going to need one) groom him besides baron who can re-sign and not lose money

Try to convince Barbosa to take the 2.5 he is no where whathe use to be but he can catch and shoot. Try to get wilson chandler to sign the full MLE for a three years. Hope for cohesion. Another example is Rudy Fernandez who would add depth but he isn't something to hope for as well.

Hope at least one person from the D League team improves enough to go up and be a rotational player.

Phil Jackson is the coach

Sign K. Mart this year, Go into next season and draft a pass first PG in the second (^^ see above for the reason why). Try to convince matt barnes to take the 2.5. Hope that Dallas doesn't use Odom's team option and then sign him to the full MLE.