Knicks vs Rockets Mon, Dec 17 Game Thread:

TakMan

Rotation player
SMH... You need some new material.

This wasn't a swipe aimed at yourself; and I will gladly get some new material when I see Chandler performing consistently, at the level he is capable of. Conservation of energy is ridiculous, particularly this early on. I'm sorry but I can't watch the NBA's defensive player of the year consistently underachieve without calling him out for it. Our defence in the paint has been the difference in all our losses. It's unacceptable.

Last edited:

tkrieger

Benchwarmer
Just a few comments about the game...... First, that Copeland guy is a stud. A perfect Sixth-Man, if you will. He alone has vastly improved the bench.

Aside from that, I don't recall Steve Novak missing open shots....... Could have been a different game right there alone.

J.R. Smith shoots a lot better off the dribble than off a pass. At times, he looks like a superstar, at other times, he looks like a stiff.

Since I have been watching the Rockets, the only thing they did markedly different this game was set a decent number of screens. (The only other game they did this was the other Knicks game in Houston. Don't ask me why they only do that against the Knicks.) When the Rockets can't hit the broad side of a barn, it's because nobody sets screens, the opposing defenders stay at home, and everything ends up being contested outside, blocked inside, or an ugly turnover.

This Knicks team will be a force if everyone stays healthy. I hope this team blasts the Miami Heat out of the postseason. LeBron only won a ring because key players were hurt and key teams were upset. (Derrick Rose and the Spurs.)

smokes

Huge Member
This wasn't a swipe aimed at yourself; and I will gladly get some new material when I see Chandler performing consistently, at the level he is capable of. Conservation of energy is ridiculous, particularly this early on. I'm sorry but I can't watch the NBA's defensive player of the year consistently underachieve without calling him out for it. Our defence in the paint has been the difference in all our losses. It's unacceptable.

Who said anything about conservation of energy?

Tyson had 4 fouls in this game. Would you like him to contest every shot and foul out in the 2nd quarter? I don't see what's so difficult to comprehend about this.

The Knicks are heavily vulnerable to back door plays, Melo and Felton regularly get caught on this and leave Tyson stranded. He's the only big man on our team right now he can't do everything.

Try taking a look at Felton and Copelandemonium perimeter defense allowing Lin and Parsons into the lane at will (Harden can't be helped) as to why we give up so many points in the paint.

tkrieger

Benchwarmer

Tyson had 4 fouls in this game. Would you like him to contest every shot and foul out in the 2nd quarter? I don't see what's so difficult to comprehend about this.

The Knicks are heavily vulnerable to back door plays, Melo and Felton regularly get caught on this and leave Tyson stranded. He's the only big man on our team right now he can't do everything.

Try taking a look at Felton and Copelandemonium perimeter defense allowing Lin and Parsons into the lane at will (Harden can't be helped) as to why we give up so many points in the paint.
I thought Kidd had an uncharacteristically poor defensive game. He usually is the one who keeps the ball handler from penetrating the lane. Novak could also play "help" defense if he were motivated. If the Knicks have one weakness, it's relying too much on Chandler on the defense. If he gets into foul trouble, then the team becomes vulnerable.

But then again, Carmelo was out. Who knows what difference he could have made. Shumpert will have a huge defensive impact, especially when teamed with Kidd.

TakMan

Rotation player

Felton's defence is below par, but how difficult can it be to guard a player like lin. Everyone's figured him out this season. Also this isn't the only game. When we're not allowing for our opponents to get a stupidly high FG% in the paint then we're allowing them second chance points through offensive rebounds. At this moment I have more faith in Wallace and Thomas guarding the paint than I do Chandler.

Munchen13

Benchwarmer
I thought Kidd had an uncharacteristically poor defensive game. He usually is the one who keeps the ball handler from penetrating the lane

Kidd is old, he can't guard fast/athletic penetrators. His defense is good and he is a smart defender, but he can't stop young fast guards from going inside.

We saw how Kidd suffered against the Thunder backcourt in the last playoffs, Westbrook and Harden were too much for him, especially Harden who excelled during that series.

smokes

Huge Member
Felton's defence is below par, but how difficult can it be to guard a player like lin. Everyone's figured him out this season. Also this isn't the only game. When we're not allowing for our opponents to get a stupidly high FG% in the paint then we're allowing them second chance points through offensive rebounds. At this moment I have more faith in Wallace and Thomas guarding the paint than I do Chandler.

As I've said before though, it's alllllllllllllllllllllll about aggression.

Of course Wallace and Thomas can go after the ball a lot harder than Tyson because they only play 10-20 minutes, they don't worry about fouling out.

Chandler simply can't be as aggressive as he would normally be in some games, and it's not only defensively either. Against teams like the Nets, Thunder, Chicago etc you'll see him being a lot tamer than usual whilst it's Melo at the 4, unless the other teams bigs have more fouls than him.

We heard Mike Breen and Clyde talking about how the Knicks needed to attack and try to get Houstons frontcourt of Asik and Morris (inexperienced players) into foul trouble, it would have freed up Chandler to have a much more aggressive game. But we didn't, we relied on jumpshots all night long.

This is why we see Chandler absolutely dominate against teams without a deep frontcourt of solid rebounders and then look like a fluffy bunny rabbit by comparison in games against teams with a stronger frontcourt.

xk3smith

Benchwarmer
Also doesn't it bother anyone that melo doesn't play through injuries like other stars? He seems to sit out our biggest games and as great as he has been and i love every minute but he isn't exempt from critique. Like man up and play

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Are you serious?? Melo should force himself on the court after such a fall?? To play who? The freaking Rockets??? Have him risk further injuring himself for a non important team?? If we going on to win the conference and hopefully the title, who the heck cares if Lin wins when he comes here. He only plays well against us. Houston Rockets will be buried in their conference.

Ghostowl

Benchwarmer
I see lotta people complaining Chandler didn't defend well, but he actually did, and he got a ton of rebounds for us. What killed us was that they used athleticism to outpace us. I'm still worried about Knicks offense though, because without Melo here, we simply rely on 3's most of the time and that is very streaky.

smokes

Huge Member
I see lotta people complaining Chandler didn't defend well, but he actually did, and he got a ton of rebounds for us. What killed us was that they used athleticism to outpace us. I'm still worried about Knicks offense though, because without Melo here, we simply rely on 3's most of the time and that is very streaky.

Not much to be worried about, if we don't have Melo we aren't gonna win in the playoffs anyway so doesn't matter much.

DCinNY

Benchwarmer
That airball exchange kind of sums up the game so far for me. Both teams chugging along as sloppy as possible, Rockets just seem to be a little better at it than us. I wonder if we'll manage to crack 12 points for the quarter.

I was there last night and when JLin threw up the airball, the crowd started chanting "Air Ball"... with JR open and taking a 3 pt shot on the other end, I could really feel the crowd ready to BLOW UP, but amazingly, the return airball totally deflated the crowd.

The energy last night was pretty awesome, regardless of the outcome.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
Actually, that's not strange at all.
It's called match-ups.

The rockets penentrate well, and they have some good shooters. Their guards are quick and crafty.

The heat backcourt is bad (Chalmers is an average PG, Wade is in the decline)

Whilst houston has Harden who is a very dangerous SG, and Lin who we know is a good penetrator.

So the way i see it, houston played on our weakness (defensively, our backcourt has an old slow defender in Kidd, yes he is a good defender, but he faces problems defending fast guards. And we have felton, who gets beaten by super fast guards in the defensive end)

What makes up for that previously mentioned weakness is our star, carmelo anthony.

Yes, we need shump back in order to beat a team like houston. With him, our backcourt is better defensively!

best post I`ve seen in a long while. Sums it up perfectly.

Kiyaman

Legend
Melo would not have made much of a difference in this game ..

Melo cant beat a run run uptempo team as a SF or PF (proof is in the pudding in Melo's Denver daze vs Suns/Spurs/Jazz/Lakers/and Durant) ..
The young Rockets started running the ball off of every defensive-rebound and inbound-pass (like Euro-ball) to get on offense before Tyson Chandler could push his way through Asik to get back on defense .. do u really think Melo wouldve made a difference getting back on defense .. Melo didnt make a difference in our first lost to the Rockets other than give the Rockets SF-Chandler Parson an ALL-Star scoring game.

Copeland shouldve been given the greenlight to attack the rim in the first-quarter not the 4th quarter, Felton shouldve told JR, Brewer, Kurt, Copeland, and White to play the revolving door cutting to the basket before Tyson cut and right behind Tyson cutting to the basket while looking for the alley-oop pass, this wouldve kept the Rockets players moving on offense plus put the Rockets in early foul trouble defending the paint in the first half of the game.
All the Rockets losses have their bigmen in foul-trouble .. that is their biggest weakness in the scouting-report, plus their bench bigman Patterson was out with injury.

This Knicks LOST goes to Woody & Felton incompetence .... not Melo being injured for the game...

xk3smith

Benchwarmer
Melo would not have made much of a difference in this game ..

Melo cant beat a run run uptempo team as a SF or PF (proof is in the pudding in Melo's Denver daze vs Suns/Spurs/Jazz/Lakers/and Durant) ..
The young Rockets started running the ball off of every defensive-rebound and inbound-pass (like Euro-ball) to get on offense before Tyson Chandler could push his way through Asik to get back on defense .. do u really think Melo wouldve made a difference getting back on defense .. Melo didnt make a difference in our first lost to the Rockets other than give the Rockets SF-Chandler Parson an ALL-Star scoring game.

Copeland shouldve been given the greenlight to attack the rim in the first-quarter not the 4th quarter, Felton shouldve told JR, Brewer, Kurt, Copeland, and White to play the revolving door cutting to the basket before Tyson cut and right behind Tyson cutting to the basket while looking for the alley-oop pass, this wouldve kept the Rockets players moving on offense plus put the Rockets in early foul trouble defending the paint in the first half of the game.
All the Rockets losses have their bigmen in foul-trouble .. that is their biggest weakness in the scouting-report, plus their bench bigman Patterson was out with injury.

This Knicks LOST goes to Woody & Felton incompetence .... not Melo being injured for the game...

I'm going to disagree with ya my fellow Knicks fan. I am currently rewatching the game and in the third quarter Copeland was HOT. And neither Kidd nor Felton would get him the ball...... What the friggin crap!!!!!! Only answer I have for that is that Copeland is a rookie. You can even hear Walt saying, "Why aren't they give the man with the hot hand the ball".

Now if that was Melo and he was hot, (and he usually is at that point) you're going to tell me he isn't going to get the ball???? Last night's game was lost right there.

Kiyaman

Legend
Not much to be worried about, if we don't have Melo we aren't gonna win in the playoffs anyway so doesn't matter much.

There is alot to be worried about .. if Woody dont add something other than this "48 minute Halfcourt-setting style" of shooting 85% of our shots from the peremeter, and depending only on Tyson to protect the paint when Camby/Amare/and Shump return our hopes in the postseason will be a first round Knockout .. Camby/Amare/Shump are running players that score 50% from inside the paint scoring on fastbreak baskets.

We got some of the best defensive-rebound passers on our team to start a fastbreak in Tyson/Camby/Kurt/Rasheed/and Amare .. is Felton, JR, and Melo going to run or walk the ball up court so our oponents could setup on defense.

There is alot to worry about when Camby, Amare, and Shump get on the seen...

Kiyaman

Legend
I'm going to disagree with ya my fellow Knicks fan. I am currently rewatching the game and in the third quarter Copeland was HOT. And neither Kidd nor Felton would get him the ball...... What the friggin crap!!!!!! Only answer I have for that is that Copeland is a rookie. You can even hear Walt saying, "Why aren't they give the man with the hot hand the ball".

Now if that was Melo and he was hot, (and he usually is at that point) you're going to tell me he isn't going to get the ball???? Last night's game was lost right there.

Asik & Smith hard fouls wouldve made Melo take all his shots from outside like Melo ussually does.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer

I agree with you 100 percent. This is not the first time Chandler takes the day off on the court :alert: