Loss against the Jazz shows why Melo is not the answer!!!!!

New New York

Quiet Storm
Clearly on any given night we have shown we can put up points. We shot horribly to fall out of the game and shot our way back into to it, so scoring is not a problem to us

Raymond Felton matched the play of a elite PG once again.

we hit 14 3's

Bill Walker and Shawne Williams played brilliantly on the offensive end....yet the end result is a Knick loss!

Why.....they punished us on the interior!

So do we invest all of our cap this summer in just to get Melo?

say the cap comes in at 59 million giving us 17 million to spend

Look we can dump AR's contract for a pick to shed another 3 million (which goes to Wilson for his Q.O.)

Then we give Marc Gasol 9 million (doubt Memphis matches that).

This leaves us with 8 million left to continue to add pieces.

Felton
Feilds
Wilson
Amare
Gasol

still not done upgrading!

or.......we can spend it all on Melo....and like we saw tonight the team may not be too much better!

la2ny

Starter
Honestly from what I saw Marc Gasol wouldn't change much either tbh. This has gone past a one player thing. Everyone knows Melo isn't the savior because of our shat D. This is a coaching style problem. Were an offensive team. POINT.BLANK.PERIOD. Why is it after every game someones clamoring for D yet we all know thats not what this team was built on. Were an offensive first team. The players we have were brought in for D'ant so of course they aren't going to be lockdown defenders. We get blocks because we have great athletes all over the floor and the other team gets to the basket, but you have to realize would Gasol be able to rotate over everytime there's a breakdown?

Even some great teams that have won aren't always Defensive Powerhouses you just need to be able to shutdown the other team in spurts, tonight we didn't have one of those "Chicago" game spurts.

Honestly from what I saw Marc Gasol wouldn't change much either tbh. This has gone past a one player thing. Everyone knows Melo isn't the savior because of our shat D. This is a coaching style problem. Were an offensive team. POINT.BLANK.PERIOD. Why is it after every game someones clamoring for D yet we all know thats not what this team was built on. Were an offensive first team. The players we have were brought in for D'ant so of course they aren't going to be lockdown defenders. We get blocks because we have great athletes all over the floor and the other team gets to the basket, but you have to realize would Gasol be able to rotate over everytime there's a breakdown?

Even some great teams that have won aren't always Defensive Powerhouses you just need to be able to shutdown the other team in spurts, tonight we didn't have one of those "Chicago" game spurts.

+1

This loss is was simply due to our lack of any type of defensive strategy. That's a coaching era. No one player will change that for us.

la2ny

Starter
yeah I mean who was really killing us tonight.

Not Bynum/Gasol/Odom or Aldridge/Camby. It was freaking Kirelenko because whoever was supposed to guard him kept wandering off and no one boxed out. Now everyone keeps saying Gasol but im not sold. I've seen him play, and he's nice and all, but Pau got a rap for being soft, Marc gets away because he's bigger. At his size though he's not as physical as you'd want. Another thing is we need a BANGER down low not another euro style player down in the paint. Amar'e needs a physical presence down low to hide some of his defensive woes. Gasol is not that. Now we come to the real issues. D'ant doesn't like "True Centers" so we're handicapped with him. He isn't going to like a lineup w/ a slow paced big who can't shoot so that limits our options for a big. Any big we get that is 7'' is going to slow you down regardless so why are we going after Gasol when we need a Camby, Healthy Oden, or yes even Dalembert. People knock him but this guy would grab boards which is a weakness for us. He also is a defensive C which is what we need for all those forrays 2 the basket by the other team. And from what I've saw he's lighter on his feet then Gasol.

Who's to say Memphis wont keep Gasol? They said their willing to do w/e to keep him as apart of their future after resigning Gay and Conley. We all know they will overpay for him so why should we try 2 overpay for him 2 pry him away from Memphis? Believe me Memphis will give him 10 -12 million if they have to match. They have done worse...(Pau Gasol for a pepsi,giving Conley 9 mil a yr?, Gay 16+ mil a yr?)

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Yea I'm getting kind of tired of these "this player is/isn't the answer" threads. The answer to what exactly? This currently constructed Knicks team isn't a championship contender and they're not "one or two pieces" away either.

Our style of basketball isn't conducive to winning titles, and having a CORE!!! of STAT, Melo, Felton would be a good start to building a perennial championship contender.

I watched this Knicks team lose for the past decade just like the rest of you...I want this Knicks team to win, just like the rest of you...I even went out and got season tix this year just on the prospect of having a better team this season (wasn't anticipating how good they actually are) but some folks have to let reality soak in. We're a solid Eastern Conference team, no better than the Hawks the past few years, and definitely not as good as the Magic team that went to the finals two seasons ago....those are teams that couldn't win break thru for a chip but were semi-powerhouses.

Melo, alone, is not the answer to our problems, but Amar'e-Felton-Melo is a great start.

Toons

is the Bo$$
Cosign.... why the knee jerk decisions? there are infinite variables in a single game. We arent gonna play the jazz every night. This is another game that shows we need melo more than ever. Heres why....

WE WERE OUTREBOUNDED AGAIN....
you do realize melo is a better rebounder than gasol and lopez right?
Rebounds give you extra posessions. Extra possessions is what our offense is based on.

gasol is not a game changer.
that is the question you should ask yourself when discussing carmelo 'game changer' anthony.

Our leading rebounder in this game was our point guard Raymond Felton. We can never beat any elite team with felton leading the team in boards. If you think melo is just a scorer, kindly ignore my post.

New New York

Quiet Storm
yeah I mean who was really killing us tonight.

Not Bynum/Gasol/Odom or Aldridge/Camby. It was freaking Kirelenko because whoever was supposed to guard him kept wandering off and no one boxed out. Now everyone keeps saying Gasol but im not sold. I've seen him play, and he's nice and all, but Pau got a rap for being soft, Marc gets away because he's bigger. At his size though he's not as physical as you'd want. Another thing is we need a BANGER down low not another euro style player down in the paint. Amar'e needs a physical presence down low to hide some of his defensive woes. Gasol is not that. Now we come to the real issues. D'ant doesn't like "True Centers" so we're handicapped with him. He isn't going to like a lineup w/ a slow paced big who can't shoot so that limits our options for a big. Any big we get that is 7'' is going to slow you down regardless so why are we going after Gasol when we need a Camby, Healthy Oden, or yes even Dalembert. People knock him but this guy would grab boards which is a weakness for us. He also is a defensive C which is what we need for all those forrays 2 the basket by the other team.

I couldnt disagree more with you about the part that I highlighted and bolded (of course I do so with the upmost respect), we are getting killed in the paint and on the offensive boards.

Utah had 54 points in the paint last night....look Marc Gasol is not Mutumbo, he doesnt completley turn us into a defensive club, but what he does do is changes how teams come at us. It was clear against Miami,Orlando,The Lakers,and Utah that the plan is to just pound the ball inside and hit the offensive glass, the result is we lost all of those games. And Aldridge and Camby wouldve killed us if 1.Aldridge was not in foul trouble and 2. if Camby was an offensive minded Center....if Greg Oden plays he looks like an All Star against us and we likely lose. The way Portland played they shouldve lost by 20+, but they stayed in with offensive rebounds

Moreover this thread is not about just getting one player....in fact it is ever bit the opposite! My point is simply why do we blow all of our money on a player who does not improve the play of our team!

Ok, Memphis may very well match (you outlined some great example of them matching/giving bad contracts) but...for sure we will not improve some of our needs simply by adding Carmelo.

Marc Gasol wont be the answer....but Marc Gasol (or any other big man) and another solid player could be what puts us into the top 4 in The East

VERRRY rarely do I make excuses

but in all honesty.

Last nights game can be tossed in the garbage, being that the refs decided who would walk away the winners.

I have never seen such an uncontrolled game in my life.

The refs had no clue whether they wanted to let them play
or call a tight game, leaving literally 4-5 players on the knicks in foul trouble with 10 minutes left to play in the game.

that should never ever ever ever happen in an NBA game ever.

I am not going to sit here and say we need melo, because amare was only on the floor for a total of two quarters, because the refs were sweating the jazz's salty balls. .

Blumatic

Rotation player
We had a bad game. We have our faults. Heat lost against the Clippers last night and the big three played well.

Amar'e was in foul trouble and anytime he's not on the court we struggle mightily. Turiaf in foul trouble Felton in foul trouble and he still had a double double.

Chandler is suppose to be that guy right? He plays off Felton and Amar'e. He cant do it by himself. Mason stifled our offense.

What mainly killed us was our lack of depth. It Dantoni's style of coaching that keeps us in games when we get into such trouble like last night. We lost be 6 when we were down 16 twice in the second half.

New New York

Quiet Storm
We had a bad game. We have our faults. Heat lost against the Clippers last night and the big three played well.

Amar'e was in foul trouble and anytime he's not on the court we struggle mightily. Turiaf in foul trouble Felton in foul trouble and he still had a double double.

Chandler is suppose to be that guy right? He plays off Felton and Amar'e. He cant do it by himself. Mason stifled our offense.

What mainly killed us was our lack of depth. It Dantoni's style of coaching that keeps us in games when we get into such trouble like last night. We lost be 6 when we were down 16 twice in the second half.

Exactly!

We need to really add some more quality players to the team and that should be our focus this summer, not just adding only one more guy

Blas

Benchwarmer
This is confusing...

He is pointing out the we need a true 5 such as Gasol, which has been pretty much this entire boards sentiment, and now you all are going to disagree with him?

That doesn't make sense.

This game DID show that having a legit 5 would have helped like it would help in every game. They killed us down low in the paint, Melo in no way shape of form helps us defensively in the paint.

mafra

Legend
I sort of agree that last night was an aberration. In a way, much like the win we had at home against the Spurs.

The Knicks were finishing up a 4-game road trip. Their 3rd game in 4 days. Another game w/out Gallo. STAT wa sin foul trouble all night. Chandler had 14 points on 14 shots.

The Knicks have been playing semi-quality defense lately.. at time even above average. BUT, we aren't going to win with defense. D'antoni says as much. His offense is predicated on SPACING, and making shots. We took 77 shots, same as Utah. Normally, we want to take MORE shots than our opponent (SSOL). Extra possessions mean more points.

We had 4 players score 20+ points. Even though we lost the battle, we helped our effort in the war.

Shawne Williams continues shooting the 3 very well (7-8), and now Bill Walker is starting to get into a rhythm (and gain some confidence).

Williams-Walker-Douglas-Turiaf-Mozgov are KEY to this season, just as much as the complimentary play of Chandler-Galo is, & of course the stars (Felton-STat).

Felton-STAT carry the team and handle the scoring load.
Gallo-Chandler must give NY at least a 3rd option.

When all 4 of these players produce, Knicks are very tough to beat.

If we get our bench to the point where they can score points AND give our starters a rest, this is the difference between a 1st round loss and a 1st round win.

Scribbles

Rotation player
not sure how it works but..

Cant we just sign Gasol this summer and then do a sign and trade for Melo in July and go over the cap?

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Cosign.... why the knee jerk decisions? there are infinite variables in a single game. We arent gonna play the jazz every night. This is another game that shows we need melo more than ever. Heres why....

WE WERE OUTREBOUNDED AGAIN....
you do realize melo is a better rebounder than gasol and lopez right?
Rebounds give you extra posessions. Extra possessions is what our offense is based on.

gasol is not a game changer.
that is the question you should ask yourself when discussing carmelo 'game changer' anthony.

Our leading rebounder in this game was our point guard Raymond Felton. We can never beat any elite team with felton leading the team in boards. If you think melo is just a scorer, kindly ignore my post.

You can't compare a 3 to a 4 or 5 in regards to rebounding stats, with one player that is an exception to the rule and that is Gerald Wallace not Melo! Melo grabs the bulk of his rebounds 12 feet from the hoop and beyond while Lopez and Gasol usually grab theirs in the paint where it is a hell of allot harder! Bynum looked like a giant next to STAT and when we played Miami Ilgauskas just stood there with his arms in the air ripping down rebounds.... Turiaf is not a great rebounder and STAT stops trying once he gets a foul on him...
When you uses pure statistics to make an argument you lose real world applicability. Plus, both Lopez and Gasol are offensive minded bigs who play away from the basket. Melo will not help us against traditional bigs like Bynum or Howard... Game on the line and you need to get that rebound to end the game who do you want banging for it; Melo or Lopez/Gasol?
Game on the line and I need to hit a 15 foot jumper to win... Melo is my guy! I need a player to use their pure talent to get free and throw up a game winner... Melo is my guy!
Yes, he is a game changer but offensively driven not a defensive stopper that can change the game; big difference!

We lost that game because of 3 reasons...
fatigue,
the coaches short rotation,
and his lack of coaching Defense.

In back to back games (against good teams) the starters are going to be worn down. You are not going to outscore every team with a small rotation and no defense...no way in hell is that going to work.
This is exactly why we need another elite scorer (like Mello) to pick up the slack and give Stat some rest.

The coach isn't really interested in big men...unless they can run up and down the court and stay active. He dosen't play post up big man ball. It's all about run and gun....so you need consistant gunners to make this system work. plain and simple...

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
We lost that game because of 3 reasons...
fatigue,
the coaches short rotation,
and his lack of coaching Defense.

In back to back games (against good teams) the starters are going to be worn down. You are not going to outscore every team with a small rotation and no defense...no way in hell is that going to work.
This is exactly why we need another elite scorer (like Mello) to pick up the slack and give Stat some rest.

The coach isn't really interested in big men...unless they can run up and down the court and stay active. He dosen't play post up big man ball. It's all about run and gun....so you need consistant gunners to make this system work. plain and simple...

I agree but what has gotten us this far, our bread and butter is that we are an athletic team, high powered offensive team and while we are not a great defensive team, we are more opportunistic on defense.... stealing a ball, blocking a shot, taking a charge and getting in the heads of our opponents; disrupting their game...
We aren't built to be a defensive team, all of our players are slender, quick, more athletic... That works to our advantage most of the time until we bump into a supercharged version of us; the Heat for example or Boston... Then there will be games that we lose for other reason; fatigue or lack of inspiration...
But it kills me every time I read a post that knocks D'Antoni for not preaching defense (I know NY Baller didn't state that in this post) when that is not true... He does push D just not a slow methodical half court game like the Spurs...
Also, he could push a smothering type of defense all he wants but when our players are not that those types of players it does not good; in fact it is counter productive! He has to gear the game to the players.

LeFlume

All Star
NBA is not a big man's league anymore. Those days are long gone. Forget the bigs. Bigs have no place in Mike D'Antoni's game. He need speed, agility and shooters. A giant big would slow down our offense and if our offense is slow we won't score as much as we do now. We don 't need a 7 foot slow dude..

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
NBA is not a big man's league anymore. Those days are long gone. Forget the bigs. Bigs have no place in Mike D'Antoni's game. He need speed, agility and shooters. A giant big would slow down our offense and if our offense is slow we won't score as much as we do now. We don 't need a 7 foot slow dude..

Not a 100% true.. You could take a player like McGee who is 7 ft but athletic and play him in D'Antoni's system.