Players Knock Back A Proposed 50/50 Split Of BRI

nyk_nyk

All Star
I'm hoping the players give into the owners and take 50% and the owners give in and leave the cap and exceptions intact. Not sure if that is economically feasible but both sides would get something they want.

There has been progress in the negotiations so that's promising.

Players are not going to give in to 50/50 when thay are the heart and soul of the league. Its only fair that they get the greater share of the BRI. Bottom line, when NYK play the Jazz (no stars) its an average night but when NYK play MIA (Lebron and Co.) its an event. Players generate the interest and millions.

ESPN and TNT don't feature Buss and Dolan when LAL and NY play.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
If they somehow get a deal done today its possible for the season to start on time. The free agent period would be a bonanza though.

how awesome would that be? after 3+ months of basically no basketball news whatsoever suddenly these next 3-4 weeks leading up to the season will be mayhem loll.

nyk_nyk

All Star
how awesome would that be? after 3+ months of basically no basketball news whatsoever suddenly these next 3-4 weeks leading up to the season will be mayhem loll.

Yep! ESPN aka the NFL Network would be forced to jam all the new NBA news in on a daily basis.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
well either way the season will have to start a week later then expected only question at this point is whether there'll be 82 games or not. I personally think so. #endthelockout

Back to back games, shorter intervals between playoff games, even a revamp of the schedules. Definitely possible. Welcome back!

I'm hoping the players give into the owners and take 50% and the owners give in and leave the cap and exceptions intact. Not sure if that is economically feasible but both sides would get something they want.

There has been progress in the negotiations so that's promising.

Just read that the owners are in the throes of reconstructing their hard stance on the MLE, cap, rollbacks - everything - to get the players to accept a 50/50 split. Presumably the MLE will be shorter, less expensive, but that's a bonus for us.

If they somehow get a deal done today its possible for the season to start on time. The free agent period would be a bonanza though.

Absolutely! From nothing to madness! :lol: We should try and bring back Wilson Cha...Oh no, he signed in China. Iiiiiiiiiidiot.

Kiyaman

Legend
This is an excerpt of the letter the union sent to the players re: the negotiations. It think it says that the 50/50 deal relaxed the salary rollback demands also but in the end is was the same deal offered by the owners or as the union phrased it "horse trading".

"Yesterday, however, was about the revenue split. The owners have long been pushing for significant economic relief and we have differences about the extent of the owners? losses. There have been numerous proposals to shift more dollars to the owners? side and help cover the increased cost of running this business. In our last formal proposal, we offered to reduce our share of BRI to 52.4 percent, and then gradually increase that percentage over the course of a six-year deal to 54 percent, yielding an average of 53 percent. This offer ? measured against our current system which guarantees us 57 percent of BRI ? shifts an average of $185 million per year to the owners? side, for a total of $1.1 billion over six years. We feel this offer ? which would involve no rollbacks of existing contracts and maintain the current salary cap and luxury tax levels ? is fair and addresses the owners? complaints.

Old Timer.....u did a great job on the BRI numbers and shared percentage
of revenue to owners & players (Big-Props)......but the union and agents
are suppose to stick with their "above-theory" in this negotiation which
seems to be the logical solution for owners/team/and Fan-base.
Certain owners will have to do better in marketing their team in their city.

I want the salary cap increase from lastseason, not lowered.
I want the MLE back at 5M or 6M so a team can divide it in 2 or 3 players.
I want the Luxury tax to stay at only $1., it cost a $100M (Mavs) to be
competitive vs the Miami Big-3.

Letting the players average 53% of the revenue in the next 6 seasons is best
for the future of the NBA.

Kiyaman

Legend
Stern just announced that the first 2 weeks of the regular season will be lost. :(

Stern is the reason for this lockout going into the regular season.....
not the owners or players. Stern wants this change from the previous
CBA more than the cheap owners, the 50-50 split leads to a lower
salary-cap, lower MLE, and the "super luxury tax"......the luxury-tax
annual gross will be twice as much as any of the past previous seasons.....
within a 5 year period owners will be given that 7% they took from the
players to pay for the $2 and $4 increase in luxury-tax.

If I am wrong please correct me........

Oldtimer

Rotation player
The BRI Split

I am becoming more and more convinced that the BRI split is not the major issue.

I do not envy Billy Hunter. The Union, though currently holding together, is not homogeneous. There are real conflicts among the membership and I expect the owners are holding out for those conflicts to surface. They are likely to surface by mid-November when the players under contract would otherwise begin receiving checks. A free agent cannot get a contract, and a check, until the lockout is over.

The average NBA salary is a little beyond $5M. Given the substantial number of contracts well in excess of that average indicates that there are likely many more players below the $5M than above the $5M. For virtually all these under $5M players, the alternative salary is probably well south of $100K. They are also less likely than the stars to have substantial savings in the bank. In short, they need the job and the money that comes with it.

Players who have perhaps a year or two or three left to play in the NBA, no matter what their salaries, have little concern about the length of any new CBA. They cannot afford to lose a year of only a couple of big salary years left. They too need prompt resolution. Why should they hold-out so that the Kevin Durants and Blake Griffins of the league can make $25M a year rather than $20M a year?

Hunter represents all the conflicting interests. At least in the short run, I believe things are going to be very unpleasant

nyk_nyk

All Star
I am becoming more and more convinced that the BRI split is not the major issue.

I do not envy Billy Hunter. The Union, though currently holding together, is not homogeneous. There are real conflicts among the membership and I expect the owners are holding out for those conflicts to surface. They are likely to surface by mid-November when the players under contract would otherwise begin receiving checks. A free agent cannot get a contract, and a check, until the lockout is over.

The average NBA salary is a little beyond $5M. Given the substantial number of contracts well in excess of that average indicates that there are likely many more players below the $5M than above the $5M. For virtually all these under $5M players, the alternative salary is probably well south of $100K. They are also less likely than the stars to have substantial savings in the bank. In short, they need the job and the money that comes with it.

Players who have perhaps a year or two or three left to play in the NBA, no matter what their salaries, have little concern about the length of any new CBA. They cannot afford to lose a year of only a couple of big salary years left. They too need prompt resolution. Why should they hold-out so that the Kevin Durants and Blake Griffins of the league can make $25M a year rather than $20M a year?

Hunter represents all the conflicting interests. At least in the short run, I believe things are going to be very unpleasant

Absolutely!!!

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Probably he just wants to keep his players sticking together and not even try to think about accepting owners' conditions, which is going to be easy until most of them have some savings or other source of income...

CoolClyde

2 weeks wtf?

2 weeks, WTF? how many jobs are going to be lost, how many lost wages, how many lost games??? these ballers are part of the 1%, right up there with wall streeters and bankers. the 99% are the people who watch the games and provide the impetus for advertising that brings in $$ for tv and radio and satellite that goes to the owners and players.

i reiterate, i do not agree that the players should make more than the owners, in what industry in the world does this occur, where the hired hands demand to make the same money as the owners? WTF?

i blame the union, and i especially blame the agents who do next to nothing but negotiate and make millions upon millions of dollars, change the landscape of teams so them and their players can make a little more, destroy team cohesion and city unification. WTF?

when the damn MTA in New York went on strike so they could make more money and get more benefits from an already attractive package, they put millions of commuters into chaos. i was so pissed it took me so long to commute, hitch rides, walking across bridges, just to get to my stinking 9-5 job. damn greediness causing millions to suffer. WTF?

is this any different? basketball players and agents already make too much money. James Dolan raised the bar on salaries when he gave Allan Houston (we have a problem) 100MillionDollars!! that became the status quo, and it has gone beyond ridiculous. ticket prices have soared, cable companies asking for more money... the consumer pays the price, the consumer loses basketball, the consumer loses jobs and money to pay the bills. all because a few hundred athletes demand to make millions more than they are already making? WTF?

Most of the teams in the NBA are NOT making a profit, yet the players continue to be paid the highest salaries in the world.

David Stern needs to make it happen, he's obviously a shill for the owners, he needs to get off his fat ass, crack that whip on both sides and bring back basketball asap!

WTF?

Kiyaman

Legend
Oct. 16 or 17 (Monday or Tuesday) the CBA meeting will have a
Federal mediator (George Cohen) to help the two sides (owners & players)
come to an agreement to end this lockout. Cohen also help the negotiation
to end the NFL lockout.

Hunter said during the interview that it was Stern's plan from the
beginning to have a lockout.
"David Stern promised me a lockout three years ago," Hunter said
to WFAN's Mike Francesa. "That was their plan all along."
One of the major issues in the lockout has been the split of basketball-
related income. The owners want players to agree to a 47 percent share,
while the players apparently aren't willing to go below 53 percent.
The structure of the league's economic system, though is apparently what's
largely to blame for the labor strife such as a hard salary cap, which the
owners have apparently softened their stance on. If the union accept
anything under 53% of BRI for the next 5 seasons this would make the
collective bargian agreement a "Hard-Cap" with the potential of talent
decreasing on small-market teams under the salary cap.
The NBA lockout, of course, began on July 1 after the most recent labor
deal between the sides expired.
Does a "hard-cap" help the NBA?

I dont see the hard-cap helping to increase the fan-base on
small market teams within the next 3 seasons.
I watched the Houston Rockets have 2 above 500 season
with their two top players injured for each season. The Rockets
fan-base kept decreasing b/c Yao & T-Mac were Fan-Favorites
in Houston. A Hard-Cap would keep the Rockets unable to afford
a superstar player in a conference full of superstar players.

As a Knicks-Fan the hard-cap will murder the growth of our new
situation of building (around our 2 new superstars) to become a
top-contender team within the next two seasons.

The Hardcap will make the Miami Heat "paycut" Big-3 a Dynasty-Team
for the next 5 seasons, star role-players will take a paycut to join up
with the Miami Heat each of the next 5 seasons.

Kiyaman

Legend
2 weeks, WTF? how many jobs are going to be lost, how many lost wages, how many lost games??? these ballers are part of the 1%, right up there with wall streeters and bankers. the 99% are the people who watch the games and provide the impetus for advertising that brings in $$ for tv and radio and satellite that goes to the owners and players.

i reiterate, i do not agree that the players should make more than the owners, in what industry in the world does this occur, where the hired hands demand to make the same money as the owners? WTF?

i blame the union, and i especially blame the agents who do next to nothing but negotiate and make millions upon millions of dollars, change the landscape of teams so them and their players can make a little more, destroy team cohesion and city unification. WTF?

when the damn MTA in New York went on strike so they could make more money and get more benefits from an already attractive package, they put millions of commuters into chaos. i was so pissed it took me so long to commute, hitch rides, walking across bridges, just to get to my stinking 9-5 job. damn greediness causing millions to suffer. WTF?

is this any different? basketball players and agents already make too much money. James Dolan raised the bar on salaries when he gave Allan Houston (we have a problem) 100MillionDollars!! that became the status quo, and it has gone beyond ridiculous. ticket prices have soared, cable companies asking for more money... the consumer pays the price, the consumer loses basketball, the consumer loses jobs and money to pay the bills. all because a few hundred athletes demand to make millions more than they are already making? WTF?

Most of the teams in the NBA are NOT making a profit, yet the players continue to be paid the highest salaries in the world.

David Stern needs to make it happen, he's obviously a shill for the owners, he needs to get off his fat ass, crack that whip on both sides and bring back basketball asap!

WTF?

u forgot two things.....the players are the "product" and the players
"athletic-performance" is what the Owners & NBA Stern sells to the public.

Kobe is the prime grade A steak, Gasol is the big shrimps, Odom, Bynum,
Fisher are all the side dishes that comes along with the steak dinner to
make it the most popular dish in a "Steak House" restaurant thats the
top in the neighborhood.

CoolClyde.....u r asking the restaurant owner to buy cheaper grade steaks,
small shrimp, and cheap side dishes to go along with this dinner, plus charge
the same price.
Do u think Buss or the restaurant owner care about its competitors financial problems???

p0nder

Starter
i don't know if i agree with kiya, but now i'm hungry....

FOR BASKETBALL!!!

I can't really speak on this topic for 2 reasons, 1: i'm ignorant of the facts, as are most people aside from stern, owners and d. fisher/billy hunter. 2) it makes me so damn mad!!!! Just get back to work and play some fukkin basketball already you lazy, greedy ****s!!

CoolClyde

u forgot two things.....the players are the "product" and the players
"athletic-performance" is what the Owners & NBA Stern sells to the public.

Kobe is the prime grade A steak, Gasol is the big shrimps, Odom, Bynum,
Fisher are all the side dishes that comes along with the steak dinner to
make it the most popular dish in a "Steak House" restaurant thats the
top in the neighborhood.

CoolClyde.....u r asking the restaurant owner to buy cheaper grade steaks,
small shrimp, and cheap side dishes to go along with this dinner, plus charge
the same price.
Do u think Buss or the restaurant owner care about its competitors financial problems???

I don't know what I'm saying. I'm hungry... for BBall!