So What Now? Who WILL be our coach?

xk3smith

Benchwarmer
Anyone else notice that once Phil Jackson becomes interested in someone as a head coach that persons value starts to increase and other teams try and get those players??? We all know that Phil is refered to as the Zen Master. What if he is doing this to throw the teams off of who he is really after.......

Broadway

All Star
Anyone else notice that once Phil Jackson becomes interested in someone as a head coach that persons value starts to increase and other teams try and get those players??? We all know that Phil is refered to as the Zen Master. What if he is doing this to throw the teams off of who he is really after.......

Care to provide any examples?

This sounds like mythical Zen fan talk. Phil has not risen the value of players causing misdirection. What does appear to be the case he's going after people who simply aren't that interested...

Here's the second no already

Brian Shaw is the top preference of Phil Jackson to be the new head coach of the New York Knicks, according to a source.

The Denver Nuggets would require compensation for Shaw, but Jackson reportedly has not given up hope on the scenario. It is unclear whether the Knicks have requested permission to interview Shaw. The Knicks are also expected to be interested in Derek Fisher.

Shaw has stated he is pleased to stay with the Nuggets.

“I’m happy where I am,” Shaw said. “I have a job here, so all the speculation that’s out there, that’s just speculation.”

Are you implying because he's interested in Shaw that Javale McGee's value will increase but the player Phil is truly Zenning after is Marc Gasol....in I GOTCHA SUCKERS fashion?

Say What?

Last edited:
I think the way PJ is approaching the head coach hunt makes perfect sense. All he is looking for is someone to act as his younger proxy court side. If he was 10 years younger, he would just be coaching us himself. Instead, he is looking for any one of a number of higher court IQ players, who played under him, who can take the coaching role in his stead. If this is handled correctly, he could be gifting us a coach that will be able to execute for us his system for years. I'm becoming more and more intrigued by the idea of getting Tyronn Lue, who played under Jackson and has worked as an assistant coach under Doc Rivers.

Broadway

All Star
I think the way PJ is approaching the head coach hunt makes perfect sense. All he is looking for is someone to act as his younger proxy court side. If he was 10 years younger, he would just be coaching us himself. Instead, he is looking for any one of a number of higher court IQ players, who played under him, who can take the coaching role in his stead. If this is handled correctly, he could be gifting us a coach that will be able to execute for us his system for years. I'm becoming more and more intrigued by the idea of getting Tyronn Lue, who played under Jackson and has worked as an assistant coach under Doc Rivers.

Then why hasn't Phil contacted the Clippers for permission to speak to Lue? He could have done this by now. Don't tell me it's because Fisher is his top choice at the moment although it appears more than ever he's trying to pursue Shaw through the media as his top choice. Asking permission to speak to coaches/assistant coaches from other teams is not to be understood as him hiring them but what it would show is his thoroughness and diligence in this process.

He's doing exactly what I stated a few posts ago. He's trying to use his power of influence via past/current relationships and namesake.... instead of actually EXERCISING the process through WORK.

Cavs asked the Clippers to speak with Alvin Gentry as did the Jazz

Wolves asked Memphis permission to speak with Dave Joeger and have already interviewed Sam Mitchell, Fred Hoiberg and Lionel Hollins

Lakers have interviewed I believe 2 candidates in the past week Byron Scott and Mike Dunleavy

Phil's only serious contact has been Kerr.....He met with Dunleavy for brunch in Chicago during draft combine very informal and convenient if you ask me and had Steve Mills talk with Scottie Pippen for 15min at the draft combine once again informal and convenient(for some obscure coaching role). The NY Post even mentioned not sure what Pippen would do because once again we have no head coach. Pippen currently holds an advisory role with the Bulls, so not sure what to think about him in general.

Phil is being straight up lazy. Ask to speak to guys, stop using the media and doing drive bys to feel out guys trying to avoid being rejected. That's probably a reason he didn't call up Kroenke in Denver asking permission to speak to Shaw.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
I still want JVG and he's made overtures to PJ but I think there's bad blood between the two stemming from when JVG said PJ was Big Chief Triangle and he probably has philosophical differences with JVG on coaching so I don't think it's going to happen.

Yeah, good point, 3G4G. Honestly, I don't know why he wouldn't at least ask permission to talk to Lue, unless he is not as interested in him as I think he should be. If Fisher and Shaw both continue to look like possible dead ends, it will become more and more suspicious if PJ doesn't start talking to new candidates. If Dunleavy ends up our next coach, I can't help but think that is a defeat for our franchise, unless he is going to just be a 1 year filler. I still have faith in PJ to get this done, for now.

Broadway

All Star
Yeah, good point, 3G4G. Honestly, I don't know why he wouldn't at least ask permission to talk to Lue, unless he is not as interested in him as I think he should be. If Fisher and Shaw both continues to look like possible a dead end, it will become more and more suspicious if PJ doesn't start talking to new candidates. If Dunleavy ends up our next coach, I can't help but think that is a defeat for our franchise, unless he is going to just be a 1 year filler. I still have faith in PJ to get this done, for now.

Here's your answer and exactly why Phil didn't make the call, although he should have.

Per Wojo Yahoo
Brian Shaw has said he is pleased to be the Denver Nuggets' head coach 2 times this week and has no plans to leave, and the team president reiterated the stance on Thursday amid speculation that the New York Knicks will pursue Shaw.

"Brian has said publicly – and privately to us – that his desire is to be here, and we feel strongly about him as our coach," Josh Kroenke said. "I don't foresee a scenario or circumstance where he's going to be anywhere but with the Nuggets next season."

The Knicks have yet to request permission to talk to Shaw.

Derek Fisher remains the frontrunner to be the target for Phil Jackson's coach on the Knicks. Fisher could also interview for the Los Angeles Lakers' opening.

I mean come on Phil you're not the first GM to call up a team and get rejected to speak to a coach. The Bulls and Celtics have been doing this to teams for a while when it comes to Thibs. Put your massive ego aside and put in the same grunt work all other execs put in. Instead what you did is tried to reel him in from afar without saying a word and you still got rejected publicly. Not sure if Phil truly understands how this side of the business works. Going after Fisher is becoming kinda of a helpless rescue mission.

Broadway

All Star
I still want JVG and he's made overtures to PJ but I think there's bad blood between the two stemming from when JVG said PJ was Big Chief Triangle and he probably has philosophical differences with JVG on coaching so I don't think it's going to happen.

Yet he spoke with Dunleavy for 2hrs who coached an EPIC choke job in Portland in the Playoffs as talented team a team you can ask for to Phil Jackson's Lakers and coached horrifully for the Clippers pursuing Baron Davis to run a quasi Triangle system leading to a firing?

Dunleavy is the reason the Lakers became a Dynasty really

Here's your answer and exactly why Phil didn't make the call, although he should have.

Per Wojo Yahoo

I mean come on Phil you're not the first GM to call up a team and get rejected to speak to a coach. The Bulls and Celtics have been doing this to teams for a while when it comes to Thibs. Put your massive ego aside and put in the same grunt work all other execs put in. Instead what you did is tried to reel him in from afar without saying a word and you still got rejected publicly. Not sure if Phil truly understands how this side of the business works. Going after Fisher is becoming kinda of a helpless rescue mission.

I hope this isn't the case, but I see what you're saying. Not too late for PJ to turn this around.

Broadway

All Star
I hope this isn't the case, but I see what you're saying. Not too late for PJ to turn this around.

There is news today Cavs and Wolves have reached out to Billy Donovan from Florida(college coach), although it appears he's going to stay put. Nevertheless they are exercising due diligence. I'm not saying Phil needs to keep tabs of who is calling who and trying to keep up with the GM Joneses but he's clearly loafing falling back on being Triangle Centric. Kind of sad when you think about it.... because you'd think someone who has 13 chips at the highest level in the sport he'd have the respect and no shame to have basic conversation with anyone asked of.

Each day that goes by and another Thunder loss, Fisher becomes ever more attractive to teams needing a coach. Which will result in another leverage against Knicks/Phil session.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
Now Stein is reporting that the Griz are thinking about offering JVG the President and Coach job like Detroit gave to SVG. For 60M Dolan should have made PJ do both jobs, insane amount of money when you consider they're still paying Mills and PJ has to hire a coach and GM. The President, coach and GM jobs are probably going to cost Dolan over 20M when most teams probably spend 10M or less.

If PJ can bring a championship here in 5 years he's worth it but why am I skeptical that he can.

Broadway

All Star
Yeah, good point, 3G4G. Honestly, I don't know why he wouldn't at least ask permission to talk to Lue, unless he is not as interested in him as I think he should be. If Fisher and Shaw both continue to look like possible dead ends, it will become more and more suspicious if PJ doesn't start talking to new candidates. If Dunleavy ends up our next coach, I can't help but think that is a defeat for our franchise, unless he is going to just be a 1 year filler. I still have faith in PJ to get this done, for now.

Per Wojo and Sam Amick Cleveland Cavs will interview Tyronn Lue along with Vinny Del Negro

and

Lakers will interview Lionel Hollins

Meanwhile Jeannie Buss is clipping Phil's toenails, trimming his eyebrows, and clipping ear and nose hairs in L.A.