Steve Novak (aka) the sniper

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Honestly I think that with Shump's return and JR's surge, Novak will become an after thought. Is it worth dangling him in the faces of teams that need him to aid a threat from deep/spacing?

I dunno.

What I do know is that the minutes he's been getting have been unproductive/sporadic in terms of production. If it'll take more minutes to get him in sync with the team's O, then when does it become a conundrum, and when does it become an issue?

He's definitely trade bait, but would trading him become a hindsight blunder?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I wouldn't trade him but he'd definitely lose minutes to someone like Copeland who can do more against the defense.

But with JR's upcoming option, the Knicks could use the flexibility of not having Novak's approx $3M on the books. If he's not performing for NY, there'll be plenty of suitors for a 3 point threat.

I'd be very interested to see who offered what for Novakaine.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Crazy⑧s;260678 said:
Honestly I think that with Shump's return and JR's surge, Novak will become an after thought. Is it worth dangling him in the faces of teams that need him to aid a threat from deep/spacing?

I dunno.

What I do know is that the minutes he's been getting have been unproductive/sporadic in terms of production. If it'll take more minutes to get him in sync with the team's O, then when does it become a conundrum, and when does it become an issue?

He's definitely trade bait, but would trading him become a hindsight blunder?
The weird thing is games such as last night, he took five shots. What's the deal? Is he not the same shooter? Is he hurt? Is defenses closing in on him fast enough to where he can only shoot too fast?

It's disappointing to me because when he was on he was one of the funnest players to watch, and EVERYBODY on the team was having fun and looking for him when he was hot. Hopefully he can get back to that.

Red

TYPE-A
His problem is two-fold.

1. Confidence is low due to #2

2. He's a one-trick pony with no surprises

Look... everything is relative. During our struggles last year after the lock-out when we were looking for leaders and Melo to acquiesce to the old system, Novak was a little-known bright spot. He had one job on a team looking to play no Defense and chuck away.

The playoffs came and he got exposed. Really the reasons why he was a journeyman were realized. He demonstrated why teams didn't value him.

Now we have a different philosophy. One where his prowess could still be useful but was only valued after defense as a matter of priority. Since he lacks the athleticism and skills to play defense, he only has his one trick left.

Since teams know what to expect he's neutralized. His only hope now is to lay low until we further incorporate a drive and dish or low-post kick-out game. His limitations prevent us from drawing up screens and such for him so thats not an option. Unless Melo, Stat, and JR value him, his days are numbered IMO.

I say that because they are the only ones who can carry the scoring load thus they are the leaders and naturally the team will adjust to their liking.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
His problem is two-fold.

1. Confidence is low due to #2

2. He's a one-trick pony with no surprises

Look... everything is relative. During our struggles last year after the lock-out when we were looking for leaders and Melo to acquiesce to the old system, Novak was a little-known bright spot. He had one job on a team looking to play no Defense and chuck away.

Since teams know what to expect he's neutralized. His only hope now is to lay low until we further incorporate a drive and dish or low-post kick-out game. His limitations prevent us from drawing up screens and such for him so thats not an option.

If the thread topic weren't so clear, I'd swear this was a post about D'Antoni in classic Red fashion. +1.

platnumn

Benchwarmer
I have a thought.

Blend Novak, Brewer, and Copeland into one mega-scoring, mega-defending, all around SF/PF hybrid MONSTER

Roneveris Copewvak!!!

nyk_nyk

All Star
Now we have a different philosophy. One where his prowess could still be useful but was only valued after defense as a matter of priority. Since he lacks the athleticism and skills to play defense, he only has his one trick left.

This is it. Take JR for example, he misses a ton of shots (not recently) every now and then, but he also rebounds and gets steals and assists. When you contribute nothing else to the table while failing to do the only thing you're good at then it turns into a liability.

I think Woodson should play Novak in short spurts instead of long minutes at a time. Its like a woman wearing high heel shoes to jog.

uber

Benchwarmer
430265_338088232949907_186221219_n.jpg

Quite interesting :teeth: