2010 Official Draft Thread

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
I decided the season is winding down and a draft thread was needed. While we don't have a 1st I think we can trade for one.

We could trade Chandler for a top 15 pick and go after Hassan Whiteside. He is a defensive monster, true 7 foot center and can be obtained if we went after him hard enough. What do you guys think? Post your own ideas too!

hassanwhiteside.jpg

<table class="inputbox" width="100%" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr style="background-color: rgb(204, 204, 204);" onmouseover="h(this);" onmouseout="uh(this,'#FFFFFF');" bgcolor="#ffffff"><td align="left">2009/10</td><td align="left">NCAA</td><td align="left">Hassan Whiteside</td><td align="left">34</td><td align="left">26.1</td><td align="left">13.1</td><td align="left">4.9</td><td align="left">9.4</td><td align="left">52.4</td><td align="left">4.8</td><td align="left">9.2</td><td align="left">52.2</td><td align="left">0.1</td><td align="left">0.1</td><td align="left">60.0</td><td align="left">3.2</td><td align="left">5.5</td><td align="left">58.8</td><td align="left">2.7</td><td align="left">6.2</td><td align="left">8.9</td><td align="left">0.3</td><td align="left">0.6</td><td align="left">5.4</td><td align="left">1.9</td><td align="left">2.4</td></tr></tbody></table>
5.5 blocks per game in only 26 minutes!

Three months after posting our initial impressions of Hassan Whiteside?s freshman season (our first scouting report on him actually came back in 2008), the dust has settled and has allowed us a much clearer picture of his strengths and weaknesses.

Whiteside has emerged about as quickly as a prospect can when looking at where he was this time last year?a raw, rail-thin, anonymous big man coming off the bench in prep school, committed to play for a small Conference USA team in West Virginia. Whiteside faced significant question marks regarding his ability to even get eligible at Marshall from an academic standpoint, and was not receiving very much attention from the recruiting services.

Fast-forward a year and Whiteside is fresh off being named C-USA?s top freshman and defensive player of the year, after leading the NCAA in blocked shots. He?s elevated his NBA draft stock significantly in the process, to the point that he?s being mentioned by many as a potential lottery pick and perhaps even higher.

Whiteside has progressed notably as the season moved on, seeing increased playing time and shouldering a bigger share of the offensive load for Marshall. Though he remains largely an unpolished prospect, particularly in terms of his footwork, post-moves and decision making ability, he shows flashes of potential in many different areas, namely his ability to put the ball on the floor, knock down mid-range jumpers and utilize his tremendous length to score inside.

Extremely aggressive looking to make things happen on the offensive end, Whiteside gets to the free throw line at an excellent rate, converting 60% of his attempts once there, and does an outstanding job of crashing the offensive glass and finishing around the rim. He has very good touch around the basket, as well as from the perimeter (even knocking down a couple of 3-pointers this season), clearly showing better scoring instincts than your typically raw mid-major big man. The terrific extension he gets around the rim, excellent shooting mechanics and high-release point on his turnaround jumper all leave plenty of room for optimism regarding his offensive potential once he?s able to fill out his lanky frame a bit.

Whiteside?s weaknesses as a prospect are often just as glaring as his strengths. His main issue revolves around his extremely underdeveloped frame, which hinders him on the offensive end, but more importantly makes him a constant target for post-up plays and renders him an exceptionally poor man to man defender against average college big men. Whiteside gives up deep position in the post with the greatest of ease--seemingly not even fighting back at times-- getting out of his stance quickly, bringing his hands down, and downright giving up on plays, thinking he?ll simply be able to recover and come up with a block, which at this level can indeed be the case on occasion.

As a weak-side shot-blocker it?s an entirely different story, though, as indicated by the fact that he led the entire NCAA in this category on both a per-game and per-minute basis, which is extremely impressive considering the stage of development he?s currently at. Whiteside possesses freakish length?his wingspan is reportedly around 7-6?and he has absolutely terrific timing rotating, contesting and rejecting shots. He?s one of the most productive rebounders in college basketball for these same reasons.

One of Whiteside?s biggest problems lies in his extremely poor passing ability. Playing 851 minutes on the season, Whiteside has dished out only 9 assists, a shockingly low number that ranks him amongst the worst in college basketball in that area. Watching him play, it?s clear that once he touches the ball, he sees nothing besides the rim, often forcing up extremely poor shots and having major issues dealing with double teams, which makes him very turnover prone.

Whiteside?s fundamentals, basketball IQ and overall awareness are well below average, even considering his freshman status. He at times looks out of place in Marshall?s half-court offense, looking as if he?s not quite sure where he should be at any particular moment, which at this late stage in the season makes you wonder about his ability to process an NBA team?s far more complex playbook.

Whiteside had a very difficult time qualifying academically for college, only actually getting into school at age 20, and is reportedly having problems staying eligible now that he?s already there, which will likely leave him no choice but to enter this year?s draft.

?Immature? is the word you hear most often associated with Whiteside both on and off the court, as there will certainly be a large degree of hand-holding and coddling that whichever team drafts him needs to do in order to help him reach his full potential. There are major questions about his work ethic and intensity level, which is a bit concerning considering how far off he currently is from being able to contribute to an NBA team. We also need to keep in mind that despite his freshman status, he?s the same age as many college juniors, turning 21 this upcoming June. This obviously limits his upside to a certain degree.

Despite the numerous red-flags and his clear-cut project status, Whiteside is an extremely interesting prospect thanks to his rare physical tools and super intriguing skill-level. At a certain point in the draft, the reward of picking him definitely outweighs the risk, as we?re obviously dealing with a special talent. NBA teams will need to do quite a bit of research into his background and psychological makeup, and figure out how much physical potential his frame has in terms of being able to add weight. Whiteside is clearly the type of guy that needs to go to the right organization, as he could easily get lost in the shuffle and find himself out of the NBA if he lands in the wrong place.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Hassan-Whiteside-5660/

knicksin60

Starter
I don't think he's a bad player but I will have to take Jeff Van Gundy's side on this one: Teams shouldn't use their first rounders in order to draft players that they think will fill a positional void.You saw what happened to the Knicks after they drafted that bum from the Greek League 11 years ago and you saw what happened to Portland when they thought that Greg Oden was going to be their version of Shaq.If Walsh is going to find a way to trade for a first round pick this year, he should use it to draft the best player that is available at any position.

Alej_Correa

Benchwarmer
I don't think he's a bad player but I will have to take Jeff Van Gundy's side on this one: Teams shouldn't use their first rounders in order to draft players that they think will fill a positional void.You saw what happened to the Knicks after they drafted that bum from the Greek League 11 years ago and you saw what happened to Portland when they thought that Greg Oden was going to be their version of Shaq.If Walsh is going to find a way to trade for a first round pick this year, he should use it to draft the best player that is available at any position.

like when the knicks drafted jordan hill because they thought lee was leaving the knicks...
agreed, the knicks should use it to draft the best player available (hopefully a big guy)

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Whiteside is a project bro. If we had been rebuilding through the draft than I wouldnt mind. But since we are in a "win-now" mode next year he wouldn't fit the bill. More importantly, I think Chandler is worth more than a mid-round first round pick. The two guys I would want the Knicks to go after is Eric Bledsoe or Daniel Orton from Kentucky. Maybe Donnie could buy a team's late first round draft pick like last year to draft one of them?

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
I have no problems with dumping Wilson Chandler. But for a higher pick...I think he's worth more than a mid 1st-rounder.
Unfortunately, Will is NOT worth any more than a mid to late first round pick. If you look historically at players that were traded for first round picks, you see the likes of Vince Carter (Raptors to Nets), Jameer Nelson (Washington to Denver to Orlando), and David Lee ( San Antonio, Phoenix to us).

Chandler is a player with great skills, but doesn't qualify as an all-star caliber player such as the players I just mentioned. We most likely will not be able to move up in to the first round, but the idea of making a move to prepare for the future through SOME form of decent drafting would be a nice idea.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Whiteside is a project bro. If we had been rebuilding through the draft than I wouldnt mind. But since we are in a "win-now" mode next year he wouldn't fit the bill. More importantly, I think Chandler is worth more than a mid-round first round pick. The two guys I would want the Knicks to go after is Eric Bledsoe or Daniel Orton from Kentucky. Maybe Donnie could buy a team's late first round draft pick like last year to draft one of them?

He still is a bit raw but you cant average those type of numbers and be just a project. IMHO.

nk11

Benchwarmer
whitesides a monster...yeah hed be a project on offense but all we'd need out of him is defense and rebounding (he clearly can do both very well). chandlers good but hes maxd out imo...trading him for a guy who could be a marcus camby/tyson chandler(healthy) clone would be great.

Whiteside is a definite project. Although we could use his defensive presence, he looks like to much of a liability on the offensive end at the professional level to step in immediately.

I think we should stay focused on who we should select with our two 2nd rounders since that is what we are working with now.

Manny Harris looks like a guy who could make an impact at the next level playing a combo guard. I believe he led Michigan in scoring rebounding and assists per game.

As far as big guys, it's going to be tough to get someone quality that late in the draft, if we want to address that, it will probably require a trade including Chandler and Eddy Curry's expiring deal to a team that will not be pursuing a front line FA this year, and we would of course have to take back another player in addition to the pick. Anyone know if any teams that fit this scenario?

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
He still is a bit raw but you cant average those type of numbers and be just a project. IMHO.

Fair point, but look at Hasheem Thabeet. He averaged like 4 blocks and 14 points in the Big Ten, and he's definetely a project right now. I do think Thabeet will become a defensive force in 2-3 years. Personally, that's my outlook on Whiteside. He'll be Dalembert 2.0 but it's gonna take him time. More time than we can afford if we putting everything into 2010.

And a side note, looks like Orton and Bledsoe are projected anywhere from the lottery to the early 20's, which probably means Donnie won't be able to buy one of them. Does anyone know if Lance Stephenson is good? I saw him a projected early 2nd round.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
whitesides a monster...yeah hed be a project on offense but all we'd need out of him is defense and rebounding (he clearly can do both very well). chandlers good but hes maxd out imo...trading him for a guy who could be a marcus camby/tyson chandler(healthy) clone would be great.

I agree that Whiteside has that kind of potential, but don't fool yourself and think he'll be able to contribute that right away. Don't forget that Whiteside played at Marshall so he didn't play against the best talent. I think it'll take him anywhere from 2 to 4 years after he gets drafted before he becomes good. Imo he'll be god awful as a rookie aka Thabeet.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
Whiteside is a definite project. Although we could use his defensive presence, he looks like to much of a liability on the offensive end at the professional level to step in immediately.

I think we should stay focused on who we should select with our two 2nd rounders since that is what we are working with now.

Manny Harris looks like a guy who could make an impact at the next level playing a combo guard. I believe he led Michigan in scoring rebounding and assists per game.

As far as big guys, it's going to be tough to get someone quality that late in the draft, if we want to address that, it will probably require a trade including Chandler and Eddy Curry's expiring deal to a team that will not be pursuing a front line FA this year, and we would of course have to take back another player in addition to the pick. Anyone know if any teams that fit this scenario?
Where is your evidence supporting that Whiteside is a project? His numbers speak for themselves. He may not have towering offensive stats, but notice he scores 13.1 a game off of 5 SHOTS!!! Thats incredibly efficient. Not to mention he blocks nearly 6 shots a game...that's absolutely absurd. Some players simply aren't good at defense, and some are simply not meant to be stars in the NBA. Whiteside is 20 years old, and has loads of potential on the defensive end. He may not be our guy of the future, but he can definitely be a great defensive asset who is efficient and smart on the offensive end.

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
<TABLE class=inputbox cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TH align=left>Year</TH><TH align=left>League</TH><TH align=left>Team</TH><TH align=left>GP</TH><TH align=left>Min</TH><TH align=left>Pts</TH><TH align=left>FG</TH><TH align=left>FGA</TH><TH align=left>FG%</TH><TH align=left>2Pt</TH><TH align=left>2PtA</TH><TH align=left>2P%</TH><TH align=left>3Pt</TH><TH align=left>3PtA</TH><TH align=left>3P%</TH><TH align=left>FTM</TH><TH align=left>FTA</TH><TH align=left>FT%</TH><TH align=left>Off</TH><TH align=left>Def</TH><TH align=left>TOT</TH><TH align=left>Asts</TH><TH align=left>Stls</TH><TH align=left>Blks</TH><TH align=left>TOs</TH><TH align=left>PFs</TH></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" onmouseover=h(this); onmouseout="uh(this,'#FFFFFF');" bgColor=#ffffff><TD align=left>2006/07</TD><TD align=left>NCAA</TD><TD align=left>Connecticut</TD><TD align=left>31</TD><TD align=left>24.6</TD><TD align=left>6.2</TD><TD align=left>2.2</TD><TD align=left>3.9</TD><TD align=left>55.4</TD><TD align=left>2.2</TD><TD align=left>3.9</TD><TD align=left>55.4</TD><TD align=left>0.0</TD><TD align=left>0.0</TD><TD align=left> </TD><TD align=left>1.9</TD><TD align=left>3.7</TD><TD align=left>51.3</TD><TD align=left>2.4</TD><TD align=left>4.0</TD><TD align=left>6.4</TD><TD align=left>0.4</TD><TD align=left>0.2</TD><TD align=left>3.8</TD><TD align=left>1.6</TD><TD align=left>2.6</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cccccc" onmouseover=h(this); onmouseout="uh(this,'#F0F0F0');" bgColor=#f0f0f0><TD align=left>2007/08</TD><TD align=left>NCAA</TD><TD align=left>Connecticut</TD><TD align=left>33</TD><TD align=left>31.0</TD><TD align=left>10.5</TD><TD align=left>3.5</TD><TD align=left>5.7</TD><TD align=left>60.3</TD><TD align=left>3.5</TD><TD align=left>5.7</TD><TD align=left>60.3</TD><TD align=left>0.0</TD><TD align=left>0.0</TD><TD align=left> </TD><TD align=left>3.6</TD><TD align=left>5.1</TD><TD align=left>69.8</TD><TD align=left>2.9</TD><TD align=left>4.9</TD><TD align=left>7.9</TD><TD align=left>0.4</TD><TD align=left>0.3</TD><TD align=left>4.5</TD><TD align=left>1.8</TD><TD align=left>2.6</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" onmouseover=h(this); onmouseout="uh(this,'#FFFFFF');" bgColor=#ffffff><TD align=left>2008/09</TD><TD align=left>NCAA</TD><TD align=left>Connecticut</TD><TD align=left>36</TD><TD align=left>31.8</TD><TD align=left>13.6</TD><TD align=left>4.9</TD><TD align=left>7.7</TD><TD align=left>64.0</TD><TD align=left>4.9</TD><TD align=left>7.7</TD><TD align=left>64.0</TD><TD align=left>0.0</TD><TD align=left>0.0</TD><TD align=left> </TD><TD align=left>3.7</TD><TD align=left>5.9</TD><TD align=left>62.7</TD><TD align=left>3.7</TD><TD align=left>7.1</TD><TD align=left>10.8</TD><TD align=left>0.5</TD><TD align=left>0.6</TD><TD align=left>4.2</TD><TD align=left>1.9</TD><TD align=left>2.5</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f0f0f0" onmouseover=h(this); onmouseout="uh(this,'#F0F0F0');" bgColor=#f0f0f0><TD align=left>2009/10</TD><TD align=left>NBA</TD><TD align=left>Grizzlies</TD><TD align=left>66</TD><TD align=left>12.5</TD><TD align=left>3.0</TD><TD align=left>1.1</TD><TD align=left>1.9</TD><TD align=left>57.9</TD><TD align=left>1.1</TD><TD align=left>1.9</TD><TD align=left>57.9</TD><TD align=left>0.0</TD><TD align=left>0.0</TD><TD align=left> </TD><TD align=left>0.7</TD><TD align=left>1.3</TD><TD align=left>56.3</TD><TD align=left>1.3</TD><TD align=left>2.2</TD><TD align=left>3.5</TD><TD align=left>0.2</TD><TD align=left>0.2</TD><TD align=left>1.3</TD><TD align=left>0.6</TD><TD align=left>2.3</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thabeet scored 13 points off 5 shots to, and he attempted less than Whiteside. Not to mention he came out as a junior while Whiteside is coming out as a freshman. Don't get me wrong I like Whiteside. A rare talent from the center position, but he is not going to produce as a rookie or sophmore. I'm almost positive of that. Imho Whiteside is a project.

NYKnuniversity

Benchwarmer
<TABLE class=inputbox cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TH align=left>Year</TH><TH align=left>League</TH><TH align=left>Team</TH><TH align=left>GP</TH><TH align=left>Min</TH><TH align=left>Pts</TH><TH align=left>FG</TH><TH align=left>FGA</TH><TH align=left>FG%</TH><TH align=left>2Pt</TH><TH align=left>2PtA</TH><TH align=left>2P%</TH><TH align=left>3Pt</TH><TH align=left>3PtA</TH><TH align=left>3P%</TH><TH align=left>FTM</TH><TH align=left>FTA</TH><TH align=left>FT%</TH><TH align=left>Off</TH><TH align=left>Def</TH><TH align=left>TOT</TH><TH align=left>Asts</TH><TH align=left>Stls</TH><TH align=left>Blks</TH><TH align=left>TOs</TH><TH align=left>PFs</TH></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" onmouseover=h(this); onmouseout="uh(this,'#FFFFFF');" bgColor=#ffffff><TD align=left>2006/07</TD><TD align=left>NCAA</TD><TD align=left>Connecticut</TD><TD align=left>31</TD><TD align=left>24.6</TD><TD align=left>6.2</TD><TD align=left>2.2</TD><TD align=left>3.9</TD><TD align=left>55.4</TD><TD align=left>2.2</TD><TD align=left>3.9</TD><TD align=left>55.4</TD><TD align=left>0.0</TD><TD align=left>0.0</TD><TD align=left> </TD><TD align=left>1.9</TD><TD align=left>3.7</TD><TD align=left>51.3</TD><TD align=left>2.4</TD><TD align=left>4.0</TD><TD align=left>6.4</TD><TD align=left>0.4</TD><TD align=left>0.2</TD><TD align=left>3.8</TD><TD align=left>1.6</TD><TD align=left>2.6</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #cccccc" onmouseover=h(this); onmouseout="uh(this,'#F0F0F0');" bgColor=#f0f0f0><TD align=left>2007/08</TD><TD align=left>NCAA</TD><TD align=left>Connecticut</TD><TD align=left>33</TD><TD align=left>31.0</TD><TD align=left>10.5</TD><TD align=left>3.5</TD><TD align=left>5.7</TD><TD align=left>60.3</TD><TD align=left>3.5</TD><TD align=left>5.7</TD><TD align=left>60.3</TD><TD align=left>0.0</TD><TD align=left>0.0</TD><TD align=left> </TD><TD align=left>3.6</TD><TD align=left>5.1</TD><TD align=left>69.8</TD><TD align=left>2.9</TD><TD align=left>4.9</TD><TD align=left>7.9</TD><TD align=left>0.4</TD><TD align=left>0.3</TD><TD align=left>4.5</TD><TD align=left>1.8</TD><TD align=left>2.6</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" onmouseover=h(this); onmouseout="uh(this,'#FFFFFF');" bgColor=#ffffff><TD align=left>2008/09</TD><TD align=left>NCAA</TD><TD align=left>Connecticut</TD><TD align=left>36</TD><TD align=left>31.8</TD><TD align=left>13.6</TD><TD align=left>4.9</TD><TD align=left>7.7</TD><TD align=left>64.0</TD><TD align=left>4.9</TD><TD align=left>7.7</TD><TD align=left>64.0</TD><TD align=left>0.0</TD><TD align=left>0.0</TD><TD align=left> </TD><TD align=left>3.7</TD><TD align=left>5.9</TD><TD align=left>62.7</TD><TD align=left>3.7</TD><TD align=left>7.1</TD><TD align=left>10.8</TD><TD align=left>0.5</TD><TD align=left>0.6</TD><TD align=left>4.2</TD><TD align=left>1.9</TD><TD align=left>2.5</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f0f0f0" onmouseover=h(this); onmouseout="uh(this,'#F0F0F0');" bgColor=#f0f0f0><TD align=left>2009/10</TD><TD align=left>NBA</TD><TD align=left>Grizzlies</TD><TD align=left>66</TD><TD align=left>12.5</TD><TD align=left>3.0</TD><TD align=left>1.1</TD><TD align=left>1.9</TD><TD align=left>57.9</TD><TD align=left>1.1</TD><TD align=left>1.9</TD><TD align=left>57.9</TD><TD align=left>0.0</TD><TD align=left>0.0</TD><TD align=left> </TD><TD align=left>0.7</TD><TD align=left>1.3</TD><TD align=left>56.3</TD><TD align=left>1.3</TD><TD align=left>2.2</TD><TD align=left>3.5</TD><TD align=left>0.2</TD><TD align=left>0.2</TD><TD align=left>1.3</TD><TD align=left>0.6</TD><TD align=left>2.3</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thabeet scored 13 points off 5 shots to, and he attempted less than Whiteside. Not to mention he came out as a junior while Whiteside is coming out as a freshman. Don't get me wrong I like Whiteside. A rare talent from the center position, but he is not going to produce as a rookie or sophmore. I'm almost positive of that. Imho Whiteside is a project.
You're positive? Bold statement Mr. NBA scout.

Did Mr. Whiteside grow up in Tanzania by any chance? Did he start playing organized basketball in high school? Did he have to travel half way across the world to play a sport COMPLETELY foreign to him? OH no....that was only Hasheem Thabeet. Not everyone is Tim Duncan...sorry.

Whiteside's basketball IQ is off the charts. He shot 60% from 3 (another aspect that Thabeet doesn't have), and is able to keep a team together chemistry wise. Whiteside is a rock on defense, and is the glue of any team's defense when playing team defense as shown with his 6 blocks per. I would say it's fair to say he's RAW, but calling him a Thabeet like project is an inaccurate to say the least.

iSaYughh

Starter
Hmm. The way D'Ant/this team is/the way this team will soon be...

I'm not sure we need some "non-raw" big man. I honestly believe Thabeet would is/would have been, a huge asset for right away this season.

And Whiteside seems to be an even safer and more immediately satisfying bet.

milchshake

Benchwarmer
nice one this Hassan, I haven't heard about him before.

amazing long hand for blocking and dunking, definetely could be an answer for our lack of big players.

If anybody in NYK want him we must remember: DON'T LET CENTER GO TO THE MCDONALD'S !

Last edited:

Blas

Benchwarmer
Whiteside could do pretty well in the NBA. He is worth a mid level draft pick if we can get one.

There are risks in drafting a center, and there are things to look at to help alleviate them.

1) Most NCAA coaches cannot coach centers. Even big name schools like Uconn cannot coach centers (not because of thabeet, look at their history). If you want a better chance of getting an NBA caliber center, you need to draft them young and develop them, instead of having the college coach staff corrupting them. This is why cousins has jumped on the draft charts, even considered as a number 1 pick.

2) In relation to point one, you need a coaching staff that can develop a center, especially if are getting a young one. I have no clue if we have that staff. I am not sure if there is even concrete evidence to argue the point either.

3) Avoid drafting NCAA centers in the 2nd round. If you look in the past 20 years there isn't a serviceable center that has come out of the NCAA that was drafted in the second round (I could be slightly wrong about this). HOWEVER, there are international centers that were drafted in the 2nd that have done very well or even serviceable. I am not sure about undrafted centers.

Again these points are only about risks in relation to past history and statistics. I am not saying there is no way a 4 year center being drafted in the second round cannot be good. Anything is possible.

If we somehow do get whiteside or anyone noteworthy, we can't expect them to make an impact right away.

nk11

Benchwarmer
i think whiteside is def more polished than thabeet...thabeet was just tall plain and simple, has a lot of potential and could be crazy in a few years, but he was only nice cuz he was tall...besides uconn is a girls bball school anyway-_-

def have concerns about whiteside coming out of marshall, but the team that drafts him would be retarded to look for much befor year 2 or 3...hes worth developing tho, maybe learning from a marcus camby (free agent) or jermaine oneal(said hes opting out)...

Where is your evidence supporting that Whiteside is a project? His numbers speak for themselves. He may not have towering offensive stats, but notice he scores 13.1 a game off of 5 SHOTS!!! Thats incredibly efficient. Not to mention he blocks nearly 6 shots a game...that's absolutely absurd. Some players simply aren't good at defense, and some are simply not meant to be stars in the NBA. Whiteside is 20 years old, and has loads of potential on the defensive end. He may not be our guy of the future, but he can definitely be a great defensive asset who is efficient and smart on the offensive end.

All of the evidence is right here http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Hassan-Whiteside-5660/

"Whiteside?s fundamentals, basketball IQ and overall awareness are well below average, even considering his freshman status. He at times looks out of place in Marshall?s half-court offense, looking as if he?s not quite sure where he should be at any particular moment, which at this late stage in the season makes you wonder about his ability to process an NBA team?s far more complex playbook."

"Whiteside?s weaknesses as a prospect are often just as glaring as his strengths. His main issue revolves around his extremely underdeveloped frame, which hinders him on the offensive end, but more importantly makes him a constant target for post-up plays and renders him an exceptionally poor man to man defender against average college big men. Whiteside gives up deep position in the post with the greatest of ease--seemingly not even fighting back at times-- getting out of his stance quickly, bringing his hands down, and downright giving up on plays, thinking he?ll simply be able to recover and come up with a block, which at this level can indeed be the case on occasion."

"One of Whiteside?s biggest problems lies in his extremely poor passing ability. Playing 851 minutes on the season, Whiteside has dished out only 9 assists, a shockingly low number that ranks him amongst the worst in college basketball in that area. Watching him play, it?s clear that once he touches the ball, he sees nothing besides the rim, often forcing up extremely poor shots and having major issues dealing with double teams, which makes him very turnover prone."

Not to mention the fact that he was playing in an extremely weak Conference USA and could hardly stay eligible.

NYK, what I am saying is that this guy IS a guy for the future, but we are no longer gearing our team towards the future after this season, after this season ends, next season begins, and winning NOW becomes the priority.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Watching him play, it?s clear that once he touches the ball, he sees nothing besides the rim, often forcing up extremely poor shots and having major issues dealing with double teams, which makes him very turnover prone."

So he clearly would fit right in with the Knicks. :cool: