Mardy Collins Offseason

Kiyaman

Legend
Rumor has it on the ESPN message board that Mardy Collins just went under surgery 6 weeks ago and may not attend the Summer League games.

It's the first of me hearing of this, because I'm set and prepared already on taping Collins & Balkman (with a Tri-Chem Nate) setting the tone for the Knicks Summer league Team vs All the young Future talent of the NBA.

Mardy Collins showed at the ending of the Knick season that he can LEAD this team from the PG position better without Marbury distractions in the lineup with him.
His performance was so well played that it bothers me why the Knicks are not searching specifically for a guard that can fit in the backcourt with him this offseason. Although, I have not seen or heard about all the players the Knicks invited to their Summer League team (only rumors).

On the down side of the Knicks, Isiah Thomas Star Center Eddy Curry dont look so good with Isiah searching hard this offseason for a Star-PF and a Star-SF to put with Eddy Curry in the Starting Lineup. This says something?

I'm not bashing any Knick Players (I used to be a Knick season ticket owner untill two years of Isiah Thomas) however, if Portland dont cut Francis and put him into the lineup with Rookie of the year Roy, and Channing Frye & Greg Oden gets off to a great start with Francis and Roy backing them up well this should send a message to every Knick-Fan about Isiah Thomas favoritism and "Save-Face" Coaching style (33 WIN Season!)...

P.S. I am still Puzzled why President Isiah Thomas REFUSED the Great "Walt Clyde Frazier" when he offered his services this offseason to work with and train the talents of Mardy Collins?

pyotrveliky

Rotation player
P.S. I am still Puzzled why President Isiah Thomas REFUSED the Great "Walt Clyde Frazier" when he offered his services this offseason to work with and train the talents of Mardy Collins?

probably because isiah thinks he was a better player and can hence teach better, which may or may not be the case. first i heard on mardy though.... any word on what surgery?

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
mardy isn't ready to be a full time starter yet... every team searches for stars to complement their superstars (unless you're detroit) so it doesn't surprise me that IT is shoring up his roster holes...

Kiyaman

Legend
mardy isn't ready to be a full time starter yet... every team searches for stars to complement their superstars (unless you're detroit) so it doesn't surprise me that IT is shoring up his roster holes...

Mardy Collins is not a starter yet, he only played 25% of his Rookie season plus Isiah Thomas is not bright enough to get Mardy Collins a personal trainer at the PG position if he did start (Recall Rookie Tinsley).

Here is the LATE News on Collins:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07082007/sports/knicks/mardy_kneeds_time_knicks_marc_berman.htm

metrocard

Legend

15 ppg and 6 assist for a starting rookie isn't bad in my opinion. He had only two problems that were problem among most rookie guards. Consistant shooting and turnovers.

Kiyaman

Legend
I dont understand. Why would he need a personal trainer?

When your a Rookie or a second season Starting-PG (Quarterback) of a "NBA" team and you look at your schedule and see the next 6 games is only 9 days away, and it has oponents like Kidd & Carter, Billups & Rip, Felton & Knight, then the Snow, Hughes, and Lebron show.

I think a Personal Trainer is needed to help guide a Rookie or second season player through scouting report on the opositions they will be facing. Players like Kidd & Carter, Billups & Rip, are their own trainers, but I'm sure they have a close assistant Coach near by when needed.

not to be rude kiyaman...but your post didnt make much sense to me.

first off, are you serious about saying that the knicks need to just forget about marbury and you are surprised the knicks arent searching for another guard to go along with collins???? maybe because thats a terrible idea.

collins had a solid rookie season, but hes nowhere near marbury level yet. yes, marbury has never been a winner, but hes trying to do the little things and lead a team to victory rather than put up huge stats. i think hes on the right track, especially with his strong defensive play last season.

also...did you forget that the knicks also have some guy named jamal crawford who carried them through 4th quarters all year until he went down with his injury.

And what do you mean does it say something that Isaiah is searching for a stud PF or SF to put with Curry? Of course hes trying to get some more talent on the team, especially where the knicks are the weakest. There really isnt that much mystery about Curry. Hes a bitch of a man considering hes 7foot 285lbs pounds. If he had more heart maybe he could play some defense and bring down more than 6.5rbs a game. also, have you heard about The Eddy Curry Line? Its a stat fantasy owners have noticed with Curry, which is that he is one of very few players in the NBA that averages more turnovers per game than he does steals/blocks/assists combined. Of course you need to put some stud forwards around him.

Kiyaman

Legend
not to be rude kiyaman...but your post didnt make much sense to me.

first off, are you serious about saying that the knicks need to just forget about marbury and you are surprised the knicks arent searching for another guard to go along with collins???? maybe because thats a terrible idea.

collins had a solid rookie season, but hes nowhere near marbury level yet. yes, marbury has never been a winner, but hes trying to do the little things and lead a team to victory rather than put up huge stats. i think hes on the right track, especially with his strong defensive play last season.

also...did you forget that the knicks also have some guy named jamal crawford who carried them through 4th quarters all year until he went down with his injury.

And what do you mean does it say something that Isaiah is searching for a stud PF or SF to put with Curry? Of course hes trying to get some more talent on the team, especially where the knicks are the weakest. There really isnt that much mystery about Curry. Hes a bitch of a man considering hes 7foot 285lbs pounds. If he had more heart maybe he could play some defense and bring down more than 6.5rbs a game. also, have you heard about The Eddy Curry Line? Its a stat fantasy owners have noticed with Curry, which is that he is one of very few players in the NBA that averages more turnovers per game than he does steals/blocks/assists combined. Of course you need to put some stud forwards around him.

Wazup G.M., We all know that Marbury will be Starting for the Knicks next season, but will he Start all 82 games without resting a sore muscle a couple of games throughout the season. I do not want see SG-Crawford ever start at the PG-spot again in this lifetime.
Mardy proved to be a great backup in this league with his performance as a starter.

Right before the annoucement of Greg Oden the first pick on draft night, the Knicks and Portland trade was already pulled off. Meaning Francis was GONE! and the smart money says get SG-Almond with the 23 pick. Especially, if you are going to put Ron Artest in a Knick uniform.
Making 6.8 SF-Chandler the 23 pick says Ron Artest has no future on the Knicks (Not with MLE SF-Jared Jefferies, SF-Q.Richardson, Malik Rose, and SF-Balkman on the Roster). And then Zeke had Portland draft another 6.8 SF-Nichols in the second round.

Wow! you bash Curry worst then I do.

haha its hard not to bash curry because the man has so much damn potential, but he doesnt seem to appreciate the opportunity he has to play in the nba and use his great size. I wish there was someone that can get through to Curry and find what motivates this man. Defense and rebounding seems to be so much about heart and drive, and its not a coincidence that curry is pretty awful in both areas.

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer
mardy's good but hes not full time starter untill he has a good jumper and can control turnovers.
its true that marbury hasnt been a winner b4, simply becuase he wanted to be the man, big edo la la la.
Isiah said it last yr. "This is Eddie Curry's Team". that to marbury means "get in where u fit in" lol. but marburys performance last yr is more of what we need to see and has committed to doing so.
I expect to see a more unselfish team oriented player in steph.
he was close last yr. he started the yr slow, but played well thru the entire season.

Kiyaman

Legend
There are just too many things that Marbury does not do that him have an unsatisfactory to his game. He dont throw Alley-oop passes, he cant pass off his dribble, he dont throw any lob passes, he never starts a fastbreak, he always walk the ball upcourt, and he never gets his teammates any east baskets.
Whatever improvement that so many people seen from Marbury this past season I am blind to see.

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer
There are just too many things that Marbury does not do that him have an unsatisfactory to his game. He dont throw Alley-oop passes, he cant pass off his dribble, he dont throw any lob passes, he never starts a fastbreak, he always walk the ball upcourt, and he never gets his teammates any east baskets.
Whatever improvement that so many people seen from Marbury this past season I am blind to see.

Not saying hes was steve nash last yr. just that he did improve his play. hes never been known as a defensive player, and was asked to gaurd the #2 position too many time becuase jamal cant defend. He doesnt have the best chemistry with curry and thats the prob, 1 more yr of playing together should improve that.

Toons

is the Bo$$

do you even watch knick basketball? firstly, who do you want marbs to throw an oop to? last year, definitely not frye, dude was affraid of the paint....if he tries to feed curry, his turnovers would skyrocket on the ally oop, the coach needs to run those plays....i watched him feed balkman an curry a few tho.....what do u mean cant pass off the dribble??? thats all marbury does....he dosent stop every time, to make a pass...lob passes create turn overs....i can agree that he dosent start the break, but fast breaks start with the rebound and the first pass....if you watched last season, marbury gave his teammates tons of easy shots, jumpers, layups, they missed shots, got fouled on the drive, and missed free throws....you speak as if marbury didnt average 8 dimes last season. I think he will average 15 and 10 this season with zach knocking down that 17 footer

Trin_Starr

Starter

1-800-CONTACTS
You need some :) lol j/k

metrocard

Legend

Defense
Leadership
Confidence in his scoring

Marbury isn't the best passer in the NBA, but he's definately among the elites. He's great with the pick and roll and penatrating and dishing.

When your a Rookie or a second season Starting-PG (Quarterback) of a "NBA" team and you look at your schedule and see the next 6 games is only 9 days away, and it has oponents like Kidd & Carter, Billups & Rip, Felton & Knight, then the Snow, Hughes, and Lebron show.

I think a Personal Trainer is needed to help guide a Rookie or second season player through scouting report on the opositions they will be facing. Players like Kidd & Carter, Billups & Rip, are their own trainers, but I'm sure they have a close assistant Coach near by when needed.

I can see the need for a trainer or coach for the big men on this team, but when you have a Hall Of Fame PG ( arugably one of the top 3 or 4 alltime) as your coach do you really need a trainer? I think that Isiah did a great job w/ Tinsley, and Mardy has the potential to be better than Tinsley. Also as was stated before I think Mardy hasn't met w/ Clyde due to is surgery not because IT didn't approve, I think Isiah has a lot of respect for Clyde and wouldn't shut down the notion of Mardy working w/ him. I like everyone else was very much looking forward to watching Mardy in Summer League I think he wouldv'e been one of the best points playing in the Summer League. But Renaldo should be entertaining, I wounder if he has balked ( no pun intended) up this offseason, or if he has developed any sort of jumper, if so, and Chandler is a decent a shooter as he's being made out, then maybe there is no need to add RON RON

Last edited by a moderator:

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
I think Kiyaman was talking about a personal trainer for fitness reasons... jamal tinsley was always injured in indiana... i don't know if you can blame the coach for a player's conditioning though...

and Toons... steph averaged 5.4 dimes last season... lowest of his career...