Really?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Those Italian BJs must be super!
nba_g_dantoni_580.jpg

Amar'e Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony would like the Knicks to keep coach Mike D'Antoni and Donnie Walsh next season. D'Antoni has one year remaining on his four-year contract, and team president Donnie Walsh also is entering the final season of his deal if the Knicks pick up his option.

STAT%2BMELO%2BRULE.jpg

"Oh, absolutely. Absolutely," Stoudemire said. "Donnie has done a phenomenal job. He's one of the main reasons why I'm here in New York. He turned the Knicks' franchise around. Coach D'Antoni is the reason why we had the winning record and had a chance to do something special in the playoffs if it wasn't for a few injuries. And so I definitely think both those guys will be back next season."

Anthony is ready to support the two if they make it back.

"I support whatever decision that they make," Anthony said. "If Mike is here, I've got his back 100 percent. If Donnie is here, I've got his back 100 percent. So I support all the decisions."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this a legitimate statement - STAT's in particular? Or are they/is he just dodging the tenacity of the NY media?

Is there a subliminal pointing of the finger by Amar'e that is aimed at his supporting cast here?

Either way, I 'm stumped. :shrug:

Please fire D'Antoni this off season! The revamp starts with his absence.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/213335/Stoudemire_Anthony_Endorse_DAntonis_Return#ixzz1KajQughA

JoHnNyBoXeR

Benchwarmer
Crazy⑧s;177400 said:
Those Italian BJs must be super!
nba_g_dantoni_580.jpg

Amar'e Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony would like the Knicks to keep coach Mike D'Antoni and Donnie Walsh next season. D'Antoni has one year remaining on his four-year contract, and team president Donnie Walsh also is entering the final season of his deal if the Knicks pick up his option.

STAT%2BMELO%2BRULE.jpg

"Oh, absolutely. Absolutely," Stoudemire said. "Donnie has done a phenomenal job. He's one of the main reasons why I'm here in New York. He turned the Knicks' franchise around. Coach D'Antoni is the reason why we had the winning record and had a chance to do something special in the playoffs if it wasn't for a few injuries. And so I definitely think both those guys will be back next season."

Anthony is ready to support the two if they make it back.

"I support whatever decision that they make," Anthony said. "If Mike is here, I've got his back 100 percent. If Donnie is here, I've got his back 100 percent. So I support all the decisions."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this a legitimate statement - STAT's in particular? Or are they/is he just dodging the tenacity of the NY media?

Is there a subliminal pointing of the finger by Amar'e that is aimed at his supporting cast here?

Either way, I 'm stumped. :shrug:

Please fire D'Antoni this off season! The revamp starts with his absence.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/213335/Stoudemire_Anthony_Endorse_DAntonis_Return#ixzz1KajQughA

I would rather not have Dantoni back as well.. As we all know Mike is Stoudemires man .. stoudemire likes to average 25 a game and Mike was a big reason why he got that max contract so he isn't going to throw him under the bus..

Melo is saying the right things..

Also, this year may not be a smart year for the Knicks to fire dantoni now and get a new coach with the potential lockout looming.. if they get rid of dantoni they still need to pay him and they may sign a new coach for a season that may not even be coached.. so from a financial standpoint it may not make sense.. plus i think Doc and Phil jackson will be available in 2012 .. I wouldnt hate if they kept dantoni around to finish his contract for those reasons but I dont want him long term

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Maybe, just maybe Melo and Amare know ALOT more than many of the posters here hope to or ever will.

That they support this coach is not surprising at all when you REALLY think about what he had to navigate throughout the season.

Donnie's back. Coach's back, just like i've said..

Last edited:

STAT1

Starter
Melo isn't exactly endorsing MDA, in my opinion he comes off as not being too crazy about this head coach. Amar'e is loyal to MDA & for good reason, he has seen his best seasons playing under this head coach & MDA has a ton of respect for Amar'e as the leader of this team. STAT knows MDA has his back so he'll do the same. I don't see Melo as having the same kind of feelings of nepotism or sentimentality towards this head coach, personally I think the Knicks should bring in a coach who plays a more conventional style system that would better take advantage of the Knicks' obvious strength in the low post.

STAT's statement of course is pro MOA. I'm hoping its just a facade for the public. Whereas Melo's statement reeks of political correctness. I wouldnt be surprised what happens here. Seems to me it could go either way. Especially listening to Melo's and STAT's comments immediately after yesterdays game.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Maybe, just maybe Melo and Amare know ALOT more than many of the posters here hope to or ever will.

That they support this coach is not surprising at all when you REALLY think about what he had navigate throughout the season.

Donnie's back. Coach's back, just like i've said..

:lol:

Can you see us from all the way up there?

What are you really saying here, ron?

STAT1

Starter
Crazy⑧s;177417 said:

He's saying that playing Anthony Carter last night was a horrible option. :smokin: (just messin' rono)

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Crazy⑧s;177417 said:

See my latest post in Red's "this is reason we need a new coach" thread.

It's like so many of the posterz here on KO are half blind. It's always about this coach and never what he's battling or overcoming.

My self-righteousness shines thru in the post you quoted, I know.

I just wish people would take a more broad-minded view of our situation.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
He's saying that playing Anthony Carter last night was a horrible option. :smokin: (just messin' rono)

You're not gonna let that go are ya :)

AC could've just as easily stunk up the joint yesterday STAT1.

I'm in agreement though that he needed a look, earlier..

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
See my latest post in Red's "this is reason we need a new coach" thread.

It's like so many of the posterz here on KO are half blind. It's always about this coach and never what he's battling or overcoming.

My self-righteousness shines thru in the post you quoted, I know.

I just wish people would take a more broad-minded view of our situation.

Well I, for one, had given coach his props for emphasising defence more so than he used to - not that he really deserved praise for installing a crucial component that he hadn't as much in the first place.

I have some questions to aim at your self righteousness, as well.

1. Do you blame Douglas, in Billups' absence, for our pathetic offence? Or was it the monotony of it that made Boston's defence so easy for them and difficult for Toney? Double question.

2. Is our offence predictable, non creative and neglecting of individual talents? See Williams and Walker.

3. Is Amar'e's ONLY play - catch and create on the high post/elbow really getting the most out of an enormous super athlete? It made Boston's defence against him a fart in the wind.

4. What sort of genius ignores the post with Carmelo on his team?

5. What changed about the offence since Melo was brought in?

6. Why have we failed in the last 10 seconds of games so often?

7. How does a 'system based on mathematical equations' supplant tradition?

8. Can you answer these questions without mentioning Phoenix?

Are these crazy8 questions is enough for now? I have many more for the D'Antoni apologists. Has he really been through so much that we look as pathetic as we did?

Last edited:

STAT1

Starter
You're not gonna let that go are ya :)

AC could've just as easily stunk up the joint yesterday STAT1.

I'm in agreement though that he needed a look, earlier..

Hey, he couldn't have looked any worse than TD did even if he didn't play well, I think we can both agree on that. :beer:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Crazy⑧s;177440 said:
Well I, for one, had given coach his props for emphasising defence more so than he used to - not that he really deserved praise for installing a crucial component that he hadn't as much in the first place.

I have some questions to aim at your self righteousness, as well.

1. Do you blame Douglas, in Billups' absence, for our pathetic offence? Or was it the monotony of it that made Boston's defence so easy for them and difficult for Toney? Double question.

2. Is our offence predictable, non creative and neglecting of individual talents? See Williams and Walker.

3. Is Amar'e's ONLY play - catch and create on the high post/elbow really getting the most out of an enormous super athlete? It made Boston's defence against him a fart in the wind.

4. What sort of genius ignores the post with Carmelo on his team?

5. What changed about the offence since Melo was brought in?

6. Why have we failed in the last 10 seconds of games so often?

7. How does a 'system based on mathematical equations' supplant tradition?

8. Can you answer these questions without mentioning Phoenix?

Are these crazy8 questions is enough for now? I have many more for the D'Antoni apologists. Has he really been through so much that we look as pathetic as we did?

Nice to get a substantive response, not just the same drivel about our coach.

1. Ofcourse I blame TD for the failure of our offense. The 1 is the most important position in this system. The fact we had to make Melo a point- foward for stretches says everything about his ability to run the club. Because of TD's ineptitude Boston was able to solve us comprehensively. The only times we looked like a competitive squad was when AC came in and played decently. Losing Bilups, as I've said, doomed us in the series, With him we had a chance.

2. The offense is not predictable unless guys settle for shots (see Williams and Walker), there's no p & r to speak of and we lose our best facilitator. Oh wait all of that happened in the series.. ;-)

Also the guys positioned along the perimeter don't just have to settle for threes. People blame MDA for this like he's the one telling them to camp. They are supposed to read the defenders and do any number of things: They can triple threat read the defender/defense and move the ball, off of a hard close out by a defender the can dribble-drive and try to draw a foul or finish outright, if they drive and a defender helps they can kick to the open shooter. If the shooter isn't open he should move the ball move the ball until the open man is found, left due to the help/rotation.

It would also help the offense if the pick and roll was available. It is integral to what we want to do.W a good pick and roll point who knows how to find Amare or drive to cup after the pick, or depending on how it's played, either finish at the rim or kick to shooters along the perimeter who can access the best option offensively based on what the defenders show them as I've explained above.

Slowing the offense down and running more half-court sets doesn't help this offense either. Ideally you want to be able to run any of these plays in 7 sec or less w quick, crisp decision making which takes time to develop and the right players to execute it.

3. Amare catching on the elbow is ideal as he's a faceup PF w great quickness/explosiveness and great touch from 15-18 ft. You like him there because he can either shoot over smaller PF's, or drive around taller ones. He can also catch, turn and face on the block.

What's missing is Amare in the P & R. That is such an important component for him. He finishes effortlessly off the roll and can pop off the pick extremely well to hit that 15 footer he likes.

Between these two plays for Amare it's enough to make opposing PFs insane. One possession they have to defend an almost unstoppable P & R, then on another they can deal w Amare one on one. Unless your Duncan or Garnett or somebody like that you're mentally going to be spinning crazily at the prospect of having to face each of these plays 4-10 times a game respectively. When you add to that Amare's little pet moves and counters off of his drives it's easy to see why he gives 95% of defenders fits. The pick and roll is key though. He needs that play for easier traffic-free finishes and to lessen the wear and tear on his body.

5. I think we've seen Carmelo in the post a good amount IMO. As we've seen he's also pretty good along the perimeter too w his three point shooting, or from 15'.. The man is in his office in any of those spots on the floor to me.

6. In the playoffs? Or the reg season? If we have Amare, Melo and Billups healthy and on the court in the last 10 sec of any game against any team we should be able to get a good look. In order to close out games a coach has to have players on the floor that can execute for him.

7. See answer to question 2.

8. I got a good lol at this question..

Last edited:

STAT1

Starter
2. The offense is not predictable unless guys settle for shots (see Williams and Walker), there's no p & r to speak of and we lose our best facilitator. Oh wait all of that happened in the series.. ;-)

Also the guys positioned along the perimeter don't just have to settle for threes. People blame MDA for this like he's the one telling them to camp. They are supposed to read the defenders and do any number of things: They can triple threat read the defender/defense and move the ball, off of a hard close out by a defender the can dribble-drive and try to draw a foul or finish outright, if they drive and a defender helps they can kick to the open shooter. If the shooter isn't open he should move the ball move the ball until the open man is found, left due to the help/rotation.

It would also help the offense if the pick and roll was available. It is integral to what we want to do.W a good pick and roll point who knows how to find Amare or drive to cup after the pick, or depending on how it's played, either finish at the rim or kick to shooters along the perimeter who can access the best option offensively based on what the defenders show them as I've explained above. Slowing the offense down and running more half-court sets doesn't help this offense either. Ideally you want to be able to run any of these plays in 7 sec or less w quick, crisp decision making which takes time to develop and the right players to execute it.

I hope you realize that the coach's system is predicated on guys taking open shots early in the shotclock. The reason why guys are settling for 3's is because this coach openly encourages it. When guys are taking & missing shots, his solution is not trying to get them to run motion off the ball to get easy basket opportunities in the lane, his solution is telling them to keep taking shots if they're open & not to be shy about taking them. This is why people are so frustrated with his coaching philosophy.

It's true this system is also predicated on having a PG capable of running the PnR effectively & making open jumpshots. TD could only fill the latter part of those 2 requisites. I agree having Chauncey healthy could have made a difference in this series, but that doesn't solve the question about this coach's flawed philosophy of taking a high volume of 3 point shots & not putting a premium on playing good defense. People aren't venting their frustrations for no reason here, they are all founded on empirical evidence of this coach's lack of attention to detail in late game situations, his documented & proven lack of focus on preaching defensive principles to his players (ex players have publically called him out on this on more than 1 occasion, including his own franchise player Amar'e), & his smug approach when dealing with certain players he has no use for in his system as well as the fans & media who question him on his coaching philosophy.

Lmao saw this on realgm and raced her to post it but I was beat to it.. SMFH at these *****s man

Seriously I don't see how anyone backs this coach. I'm still pissed w egot swept because of his dumbass. I see teams like the Hornets without David West winning games vs the Lakers, Teams in like Houston in the regular season winning as many games as us when they don't have near the talent level. Coaching alone can win you a lot of games. We will forever be limited to our minimum potential as long as he stays around.

Last edited:

knicksin60

Starter
Those two future hall of famers are doing the right thing by advocating for Mike D'antoni to remain Knicks head coach.We all know that he did what no coach has done with the Knicks since Lenny Wilkins and that's take the Knicks to the first round of the playoffs to be swept by an overrated team that will not win a championship this year.Had the Knicks had a true center who could stop big men in their mid to late 30's they would have coasted to a second round exit.

Once the Knicks have a complete rosters Mike D'antoni is going to get the opportunity to prove how destined the Knicks will be to finally show the world that offense alone will buy them the 5th seed next season. Next season should be D'antoni's 4th season of getting a free pass just because he has to go through the pressure of having to read the negativity that people write about him on Knicks Online.

A lot of Knick fans seem to forget that if it wasn't for Mike D'antoni, Amare would have played for another team for only 100 million dollars worth of food stamps and Melo would have played back up to Anthony Murrow while Denver would have traded him to the Nets for a pair of basketball shorts from Target and an autographed basketball signed by none other than Shawn Bradley.

I don't think any NBA superstar other than Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Dirk Nowtizki Derek Rose, Dwight Howard, Blake Griffin, Chris Paul and Derron Williams would turn down the wonderful opportunity of playing for D'antoni.I seriously think that every billboard in NYC should be of Mike D'antoni so that every homeless person that walks around the city should be inspired to know that you don't need to be good at what you do in order to become a multi millionaire and have the support of millions of people.

Lol Amar'e the injuries to you and Billups weren't the reason the Celtics blew us out.

We were outcoached, outclassed and outhusseled.

They have a much better roster and a better coaching staff, that's the reason we lost.

And come on it wasn't even close. We're the only ****ing team that got swept!

That sucks and completely ruined our season

Look at the Grizz and Hornets they're kicking some ass, despite beein even lower seeded than we are and they don't have 2 All Star Game starters in their lineups....it's so frustrating that the Knicks just can't win a damn thing not even one playoff game in 10 years.

And regarding the winning record: We went 42-40 that's only JUST a winning record, not like we went 50-32 and injuries cost us a Conference Finals appearance or something.

If we don't get 4th seed next season we'll lose in 5 or 6 games against either Miami, Chicago or Boston in the first round again.

D'Antoni and his staff have to go.

We have to sign a center.

We have to sign or trade for a shooting guard with class.

We have to trade for a upper echelon point guard who can actually run the
pick and roll.

We have to sign 2-3 veterans who don't disappear in the playoffs. Preferably TMac or Eddie House.

We need to draft a rebounder like Kenneth Faried to adress that issue, especially during the regular season whereAmar'e doesn't give a **** about defense and rebounding.

Then we can talk about making a true run and winning in the postseason sadly 80-90% of that won't happen and next season will be a very slightly improved mirror image of this season.

We're not talking Finals until we get Chris Paul and/or Dwight Howard and keep Melo at the same time.