"The Message"...influences of hip-hop/rap music

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
Listen to his three albums.
Then speak to me.

I listened to all of his albums the day they came out, even to mixtapes back when he started. He ain't the G.O.A.T. probably the greatest Latino MC, but that about it.

Streetdreams, that's a good assessment. 8th to 12th place is where many people have put him in.

this is my top ten (in order):

1- Nasty Nas
2- Rakim the God MC
3- Notorious
4- Tupac
5- Jay-z
6- KRS-ONE
7- Q-tip
8- eminem
9- common
10- ice cube

I would have put mobb deep and Wu-tang in the list but they are groups.

dpryde

Benchwarmer
awesome thread, but what do you guys think about d-pryde? a 15 year old using youtube to get publicity to try and get a record deal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRUeVkMiZeQ

theres one of his betta songs

u guys think hes a star in the making or a wanna-be artist? jst curious on otha opinions, i obv like the stuff he makes

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
awesome thread, but what do you guys think about d-pryde? a 15 year old using youtube to get publicity to try and get a record deal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRUeVkMiZeQ

theres one of his betta songs

u guys think hes a star in the making or a wanna-be artist? jst curious on otha opinions, i obv like the stuff he makes

StreetDreams presents: a review

1. the HATERS MAKE ME FAMOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS= Gay!

2. No need for autotune. its so overused and so overrated, but its "meh" here

3. "your lines is too used like that auto tune shit"- AND THE DUDE IS USING AUTOTUNE!!!!!

4. If you want to fit in with the crowdhomeboy's doing it.

3. the phrase itself "still fly" is overused all by itsellf. if there are any rappers on this forum whos not MSG, myself, or Sly, yall should know and yall better know, be original.

2.5/5 Props
Doesn't TOTALLY suck, but try again.

Last edited:

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud

3. "your lines is too used like that auto tune shit"- AND THE DUDE IS USING AUTOTUNE!!!!!

4. If you want to fit in with the crown, homeboy's doing it.

3. the phrase itself "still fly" is overused all by itsellf. if there are any rappers on this forum whos not MSG, myself, or Sly, yall should know and yall better know, be original.

2.5/5 Props

i dont know as much as you guys (SLY, streetdreams, etc.), but this review is pretty much dead on. ill admit i thought the kid was a joke at first look, but he does have talent. i agree almost completely with streetdreams. id give him a 3/5 though.

Last edited:

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
i dont know as much as you guys (SLY, sweetdreams, etc.), but this review is pretty much dead on. ill admit i thought the kid was a joke at first look, but he does have talent. i agree almost completely with sweetdreams. id give him a 3/5 though.

Thank you. 3 would have been my 2nd thought. dudes 15, he still has potential. but man, its ok to write a songl ike that, but you have to be original. damn actually, i keep it a 2, because Drake wrote the chorus and original song, i didnt realize it was a cover, thats whyi keep it a 2.5.

"haters this, hater that"
-yawnnn-

and uhmm, did you call me sweetdreams?!?!?!?

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Thank you. 3 would have been my 2nd thought. dudes 15, he still has potential. but man, its ok to write a songl ike that, but you have to be original. damn actually, i keep it a 2, because Drake wrote the chorus and original song, i didnt realize it was a cover, thats whyi keep it a 2.5.

"haters this, hater that"
-yawnnn-

and uhmm, did you call me sweetdreams?!?!?!?

lmao ma b bro, thts wat happens when im typin at like 12 and tired as shit, i changed it lol

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
SLY's old-school Tuesdays:

Joint Of The Day:

Mobb Deep ft. Nas- It's Mine

Classic Joint. Rap music at it's finest.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only

4. If you want to fit in with the crowdhomeboy's doing it.

2.5/5 Props

i dont know as much as you guys (SLY, streetdreams, etc.), but this review is pretty much dead on. ill admit i thought the kid was a joke at first look, but he does have talent. i agree almost completely with streetdreams. id give him a 3/5 though.

To me, that shit was garbage. He sounds like the wack rappers that are out now. Not original at all. Clearly he idolizes the shit that's out these days.

it's very simple. if you're influences are shitty rappers, then you will become a shitty rapper.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul
Yeah, that is true. No matter when genre, you always sound like your inspirations. I honestly think my own style sounds alot like Big L, Nas, and Common, three of my biggest inspirations that made me want to pick up a pen and write.

ALso, i think intellectuality should be common in rap. All these rappers ran out of ideas of have none. I hate to admit it, but Lil Wayne before 2006 was decent. Then the media took over and made him the hip pop king. And soulja boy, making millions to say TURN MY SWAG ONNNN YOUUUUUU!! Smart rappers have more ideas, and know exactly what they're doing. For example, in school, Nas said himself that he sucked at everything except reading and writing. ( cant remember which site).

That explains alot, doesn't it?

We need smart rappers to come out and burst on the mainstream, it cant stay underground. Hiphop needs a new movement. i cant stand this stuff,

knickzrulezH20

Sexy Stud
Yeah, that is true. No matter when genre, you always sound like your inspirations. I honestly think my own style sounds alot like Big L, Nas, and Common, three of my biggest inspirations that made me want to pick up a pen and write.

ALso, i think intellectuality should be common in rap. All these rappers ran out of ideas of have none. I hate to admit it, but Lil Wayne before 2006 was decent. Then the media took over and made him the hip pop king. And , making millions to say TURN MY SWAG ONNNN YOUUUUUU!! Smart rappers have more ideas, and know exactly what they're doing. For example, in school, Nas said himself that he sucked at everything except reading and writing. ( cant remember which site). soulja boy

That explains alot, doesn't it?

We need smart rappers to come out and burst on the mainstream, it cant stay underground. Hiphop needs a new movement. i cant stand this stuff,

please dont insult this thread by mentioning you-know-who. hes on a one way road to destroy hip-hop

metrocard

Legend
I listened to all of his albums the day they came out, even to mixtapes back when he started. He ain't the G.O.A.T. probably the greatest Latino MC, but that about it.

Streetdreams, that's a good assessment. 8th to 12th place is where many people have put him in.

this is my top ten (in order):

1- Nasty Nas
2- Rakim the God MC
3- Notorious
4- Tupac
5- Jay-z
6- KRS-ONE
7- Q-tip
8- eminem
9- common
10- ice cube

I would have put mobb deep and Wu-tang in the list but they are groups.

I don't see why a MC gotta be judge on his back ground.

Q-Tip Eminem and Common on a top ten is questionable.

knickzrulezH20, no one can destroy Hip Hop since its a culture within. You live it or you don't.

Can he water down the quality of rap entertainment?
Yes.
The watering down of rap has been exclusive since Pun's death.

Heres whats in my list
Beatnuts
Big Pun
Busta Rhymes
Company Flow
Dead Prez
Del
DMX
Heiroglyphics
Eric B and Rakim
Fabulous
Fat Joe(90's shit....you guys stay ****ing sleep...too attached to TRL's/BET's top 10)
Gangstarr
Grandmaster Flash
Ice
Immortal Technique
Jay-Z
KRS One
Ludacris
Lox
Mystikal
Mobb Deep
Nas
NWA
BIG
Outkast
Pharcyde
Planet Patrol
Royce 59
Souls of Micheif
Tempo
Too Short
Vico C
W-Tang

imo, 97-2001 was my favorite era....

JayJ44

Starter
These are 2 great songs:

It's Dark and Hell is Hot is one of the greatest albums ever. DMX is underrated, IMO.

Him and Nas make a good duo:

They should make a cd together.

Duhon2Lee

Rookie
Always loved my hip-hop music although must admit I'm slowly drifting away from it as it hasn't got that feel to it anymore.

The 90's was easily the best era of hip-hop, so many big names who rapped and sang about 'real' issues with the main focus on flow and rhyme. These days its just rappers peddling the same old shit (The mainstream ones anyway), but I suppose that's the business it has become.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
These are 2 great songs:

It's Dark and Hell is Hot is one of the greatest albums ever. DMX is underrated, IMO.

Him and Nas make a good duo:

They should make a cd together.

Yea, those are good songs. Isn't dmx in jail? I remember him robbing a car and being chased by cops. :lol: what was he thinking?

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
IMO, the greatest years in rap music were from 1991-1996.

Albums that came out in that era:

ATCQ- "the low end theory"; "midnight mauraders"

Jay-z- "reasonable doubt"

Big L- "lifestyles of the poor and dangerous"

Notorious BIG- "ready to die"

Nas- "illmatic" and "it was written"

Tupac- "strictly for my niggaz"

Wu-tang- "36 chambers"

Raekwon- "only built for cuban linx"

And other great ones too.

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
SLY1984 PRESENTS:

THROWBACK THURSDAY'S

JOINT OF THE DAY:

ODB- "Brooklyn Zoo"

CRAZY ASS VIDEO BY A CRAZY ASS *****

KING~POETIQ

The One and Only
a Verbal Assassin production

Old-School Tuesdays

Joint of the day:

Notorious B.I.G.- "Things Done Changed"

The good ole' days.......

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
Big L Documentary coming out in 2009

Anyone from the tri state area that knows Rap in the 90's should be familiar with Big L. He is probably one of the best MC's when it came to doing a freestyle or rap battle (202 wins and 0 loses). I have always wondered why a movie or documentary never came out about this guy that was on his way to be #1 before being gunned down in his hometown, Harlem at age 23.

A DOCUMENTARY of Big L called "The Big L Story- Street Struck" is suppose to come out in 2009....Every MC in Rap right now should watch this and take notes.

Documentary info in a blog- http://www.rapworlds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104821

Big L's best known 7 minute freestyle with Jay Z-

Big L in concert around 94' (not sure about the date) WATCH AT 3: 22 he freestyles out of no where- this dude could rock a crowd....

Dirty beat with Big L laying it down...

A rare 93" freestyle....