Derek Fisher Finalizing Deal With Knicks

We've had a tendency of last minute dissolving of deals lately, but assuming this is final, this is a big deal for PJ. Fisher is exactly the kind of guy PJ seemed to want for our head coach, for better or for worse. If he had swung and missed on Fisher as well, I think we can all agree we might be in trouble.

tiger0330

Legend
No brainer decision for DFish which I said another thread. 1 or 2 year vet min deal with OKC or a 5 yr deal where the Knicks are overpaying for a rookie coach by about 19M.

Broadway

All Star
No brainer decision for DFish which I said another thread. 1 or 2 year vet min deal with OKC or a 5 yr deal where the Knicks are overpaying for a rookie coach by about 19M.

BUZACTLY!!!!!

I'm looking at this from the same angle...why should he have not asked for that coin, no reason to turn it down.

Flipside I see no one is taking paycuts so far to work here....Melo's lurking....lol

Broadway

All Star
Assistant coaches getting lathered up....

Rambis $2.5mil/yr

Cartwright $2mil/yr

Luke $1.5mil/yr

Scottie.... if Steve Mills put in dat 15min of work in Chicago then he probably gets $3mil/yr

Not sure if he'll hire a GM but he'll probably get $6mil/yr. Our standards are high league has been put on notice watch out.

Assistant coaches getting lathered up....

Rambis $2.5mil/yr

Cartwright $2mil/yr

Luke $1.5mil/yr

Scottie.... if Steve Mills put in dat 15min of work in Chicago then he probably gets $3mil/yr

Not sure if he'll hire a GM but he'll probably get $6mil/yr. Our standards are high league has been put on notice watch out.

A point guard as head coach and a cadre of big men as assistant coaches seems appropriate for a team like us.

tiger0330

Legend
Just don't bring back Herb Williams.

I would have preferred JVG, he supposedly turned down the MN job but I think he would have taken the Knicks job except if they paid DFish 5M/yr they probably would have to pay 10M a year for him.

petescud

Starter
Wow, he offers Kerr 3 mil a year and Fisher 5 mil...oh well, nice to have money...i can't afford to go to a game and these guys make $$$$ for practically nothing

tiger0330

Legend
What I want to see if DFish brings in his own guys or does PJ select the rest of the coaching staff. I would think that Rambis comes, I think Luke Walton is too green and DFish needs to bring in more experienced coaches than him. A lot of the guys like Bill Cartwright might be off the table since they were guys associated with Kerr but Fisher doesn't know.

Kiyaman

Legend
Full PROPS to Phil Jackson!!!!!

So was this our best choice for head coach?

Hell Yeah! Derek Fisher is the MAN! the Knicks need as head-coach.
The best head-coach in the market to invest for a winning future.
That's worth $5M per.

It was all the small things Derek Fisher done in his 17 yr career equal head-coach.

Recall .. Derek Fisher was drafted by a winning Lakers organization, where Fisher won 3 rings.
And were surrounded by an organization full of HOF his first 8 seasons in the NBA.

Recall .. when the 8th seeded Golden State Warriors team beat the 1st seeded Dallas Mavs team in the postseason games. Derek Fishers 2 season at GS instilling a discipline-lockerroom of players, plus tutoring Baron Davis to play team-ball for coach Don Nelson strategy to beat a 1st seed team.

Recall .. Deron Williams had a BUST rookie season. Then Utah signed FA Derek Fisher to be in training-camp to tutor Deron Williams 2nd season in the NBA. Deron Williams had a All-Star season with Fisher as his teammate.

Recall .. The Lakers getting knock-out in the first round playoff, then going full steam after Derek Fisher in a trade from Utah that offseason. The Derek Fisher-Lakers went on to the FINALS 3 consecutive seasons.

Recall .. The OKC PG Westbrook were out for practically half of the season, and PG-Reggie Jackson had the best season of his career running the point under Fisher tutorship.

Phil Jackson working on the TOP executive of the year award by hiring Derek Fisher as head-coach.
:thumbsup::gony: :thumbsup:

Kiyaman

Legend
Best coach overall no, best coach for PJ to use, probably yes.

For the Knicks, I believe Derek Fisher's the best coach overall.
Fisher will be 100 times better than the Knicks past 6 head-coaches.
Fisher is the best coach on the market for EGO-ISO-Melo

p0nder

Starter
I am personally really hyped about the combination of Derek Fisher as HC and Phil Jax as our team president. This combination makes a lot of sense from all angles.

Phil Jackson is a rookie exec. trying to make all the right moves, network, connect and lead this team from the top down position. He is a sound basketball mind that can offer help to the coaching staff and the players that no other exec could possibly come close to.

On the flip side we have Derek Fisher as our HC. He's a rookie HC but a league veteran. He was also the NBAPA's player representative and represented the players in bargaining tables for the latest CBA which many players respect him for, even above what other lawyer/business/ombudsman's were able to accomplish in the same/similar role. Derek Fisher will be working with his longtime friend and colleague Pjax and bringing back a championship culture to the team. This is what we need more then anuything: Winning Culture. And starting from the top own is the way to go.

The Combonation of Derek and PJax is the most exciting part of this. Pjax can offer Fish his expertise and a coach, X's and O's as well as dealing with player's ego's. On the flip side Fish will give the Zen master a lot of help in networking, working through various player agents and assist with negotiations as jax and fish can approach the tables together in a power coupling.

There is a lot to be excited about. I didn't want to post until things were in stone, but now they are. This will lead us onward and upwards from here. Any reservations I had about PJax as an executive are now allayed and any short comings Fish might have with coaching can be uplifted with pjax's tutoring. It is the best scenario for both men and the organization. Great hiring's all around.

There's only one thing that can F#&K it up....

James Dolan.

I actually like Dolan as a person; hH is passionate about his team, Loyal to the people that he trusts and spends wicked amounts of money in order to try and bring the Knicks into the championship level. However we have seen several mistakes on basketball decisions made by Dolan, overriding his GM's, Presidents and coaches wishes to make moves he thought were savvy. If he takes a step back and allows Fish and PJax to go to work, he will be happy with the end results. If he keeps too many fingers in the pie, then there will be massive fallout for everyone. Time will tell where this all takes us.

Carmelo, STAT, TChandler, Felton, Sump and the rest of the roster are in for a shake up. It had already been an exciting off season. Lets hope the knicks can make smore more of these savvy hires in the near future.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I am personally really hyped about the combination of Derek Fisher as HC and Phil Jax as our team president. This combination makes a lot of sense from all angles.

Phil Jackson is a rookie exec. trying to make all the right moves, network, connect and lead this team from the top down position. He is a sound basketball mind that can offer help to the coaching staff and the players that no other exec could possibly come close to.

On the flip side we have Derek Fisher as our HC. He's a rookie HC but a league veteran. He was also the NBAPA's player representative and represented the players in bargaining tables for the latest CBA which many players respect him for, even above what other lawyer/business/ombudsman's were able to accomplish in the same/similar role. Derek Fisher will be working with his longtime friend and colleague Pjax and bringing back a championship culture to the team. This is what we need more then anuything: Winning Culture. And starting from the top own is the way to go.

The Combonation of Derek and PJax is the most exciting part of this. Pjax can offer Fish his expertise and a coach, X's and O's as well as dealing with player's ego's. On the flip side Fish will give the Zen master a lot of help in networking, working through various player agents and assist with negotiations as jax and fish can approach the tables together in a power coupling.

There is a lot to be excited about. I didn't want to post until things were in stone, but now they are. This will lead us onward and upwards from here. Any reservations I had about PJax as an executive are now allayed and any short comings Fish might have with coaching can be uplifted with pjax's tutoring. It is the best scenario for both men and the organization. Great hiring's all around.

There's only one thing that can F#&K it up....

James Dolan.

I actually like Dolan as a person; hH is passionate about his team, Loyal to the people that he trusts and spends wicked amounts of money in order to try and bring the Knicks into the championship level. However we have seen several mistakes on basketball decisions made by Dolan, overriding his GM's, Presidents and coaches wishes to make moves he thought were savvy. If he takes a step back and allows Fish and PJax to go to work, he will be happy with the end results. If he keeps too many fingers in the pie, then there will be massive fallout for everyone. Time will tell where this all takes us.

Carmelo, STAT, TChandler, Felton, Sump and the rest of the roster are in for a shake up. It had already been an exciting off season. Lets hope the knicks can make smore more of these savvy hires in the near future.
Excellent post.

To add on to that, I have a feeling this isn't Phil hiring one of his friends with a lot of championship knowledge and experience just because he's one of his friends. Phil has a plan, whether you agree with the triangle offense or bust thing or not, and he did it in a good time period (the NBA season is still going on).

I like the D-Fish also is in game shape, just coming off a Western Conference Finals series. The man still looks like a beast. Would be interesting if he became a player-coach. Either way, he could be playing with the team a lot in practice. What separates him from most (or all, I have to see the list of coaches) is that he could still play in the NBA at a good level.

I'm glad Phil took his time. He got what he wanted, and it's not like he got the 3rd, 4th, or 5th, etc. pick he had as head coach, which could be understandably worrisome. In fact, maybe Fisher was his number one choice. Maybe he offered Kerr first because Fisher's future was in question whether he'd be playing or coaching next season (or zen came into play to have one less California spot for Fisher to go to:p).

Welcome to the team, Fish!

tiger0330

Legend
Now that we have a head coach is PJ going to hire a GM? Absolutely no word that he will so maybe PJ thinks that he Mills, Houston and Warkentien can do the job. The draft is the 26th and I would have thought that if PJ was going to bring in a GM it would be critical to do it before the draft.

skisloper

Starter
Hell Yeah! Derek Fisher is the MAN! the Knicks need as head-coach.
The best head-coach in the market to invest for a winning future.
That's worth $5M per.

It was all the small things Derek Fisher done in his 17 yr career equal head-coach.

Recall .. Derek Fisher was drafted by a winning Lakers organization, where Fisher won 3 rings.
And were surrounded by an organization full of HOF his first 8 seasons in the NBA.

Recall .. when the 8th seeded Golden State Warriors team beat the 1st seeded Dallas Mavs team in the postseason games. Derek Fishers 2 season at GS instilling a discipline-lockerroom of players, plus tutoring Baron Davis to play team-ball for coach Don Nelson strategy to beat a 1st seed team.

Recall .. Deron Williams had a BUST rookie season. Then Utah signed FA Derek Fisher to be in training-camp to tutor Deron Williams 2nd season in the NBA. Deron Williams had a All-Star season with Fisher as his teammate.

Recall .. The Lakers getting knock-out in the first round playoff, then going full steam after Derek Fisher in a trade from Utah that offseason. The Derek Fisher-Lakers went on to the FINALS 3 consecutive seasons.

Recall .. The OKC PG Westbrook were out for practically half of the season, and PG-Reggie Jackson had the best season of his career running the point under Fisher tutorship.

Phil Jackson working on the TOP executive of the year award by hiring Derek Fisher as head-coach.
:thumbsup::gony: :thumbsup:

100% agree.......Phil needs to have all his people in doing what he wants........No reason for not everyone to be on the same page....No need to argue about the triangle offense.....No need not to have an open door between president and coach.......This is as good as it gets that its PHIL Jackson or Bust......To me there is a shot for us here to turn this organization around.......

Melo wont be able to deal with having no power........Melo will be gone.....

Broadway

All Star
I'm not too pumped about this. Dunno, don't have that much trust in Fisher.

Neither do I. From all the teams he's been on what players did he greatly impact as he played alongside them? I can't think of any. I'm particularly leery of his ability with this current roster. Now if we start gutting it quickly then yes long-term I can build confidence in him molding something from the beginning devoid of the contamination

skisloper

Starter
Neither do I. From all the teams he's been on what players did he greatly impact as he played alongside them? I can't think of any. I'm particularly leery of his ability with this current roster. Now if we start gutting it quickly then yes long-term I can build confidence in him molding something from the beginning devoid of the contamination

At of all the things you ever said this is on the one I do not understand " Now if we start gutting it quickly then yes long-term " .....Do you think the plan is to keep anyone on the current roster other then Hardaway, Melo and maybe Shump.