Airing this Sunday on ESPN: "Winning Time: Reggie Miller v. The New York Knicks"

KBlack25

Starter
Airing this Sunday on ESPN: "Winning Time: Reggie Miller v. The New York Knicks"

http://30for30.espn.com/

Watch the video.

Just putting this up here as an FYI for people...this Sunday, as part of their 30 for 30, ESPN is airing a documentary called Winning Time. It aired at Sundance and got incredible reviews...Here is an article on it

http://hollywoodandfine.com/interviews/?p=644

For those of us old enough to remember, Reggie Miller was the most hated (or 2nd most, maybe Jordan gets that title) man to set foot on the Garden floor. This chronicles Reggie Miller and the New York Knicks of that era.

Starks getting in Miller's face and then being yelled at by Ewing and Oakley showed the type of leadership and intensity this team used to bring to the Garden. Interesting sidebar to that story: After Starks was yelled at by Ewing and Oakley, John's mother called Patrick Ewing personally and said "DON'T YOU YELL AT MY BOY LIKE THAT!" Made me laugh, a mother's love doesn't die.

Anyway, the documentary is going to be superb. I've watched every 30 for 30 with my dad, we have yet to find one we didn't enjoy. This is supposed to be the cream of the crop.

Sunday, March 14th, 9 PM ESPN. Here is where we can talk about what we expect and our impressions of the documentary...

Scribbles

Rotation player
Uggghhh why rehash bad memories?

Id rather there be a short film documenting what it meant to play in the Garden. Everything from players, coaches, towelboys, cameramen and vendors being interviewed.

Now that would be something Id buy to watch...

But Ill tune in just because I need the EXTRA drive and motivation to start working out again.

God I hate Reggie Miller.

:barf:Reggie Miller

jpz17

Starter
surprised no other guys have made a topic on this. I honestly can't wait for it. I'm pretty excited

CoolClyde

reggie miller can suck it

f*ck Reggie Miller. I already went thru that pain and disgust, why relive it?
A Knick hater must've made this damn documentary. big-eared a-hole.

DaBx

Rookie
I'll definitely be watching this. I also love the commercial with the LL Cool J song. Btw I tried to make a topic about this a week ago but couldnt because of posting privileges.:(

jimkcchief88

All Star
I will watch just to remember the good old days.... Sunday AM match-ups with the Pacers and Heat....Tuesdays nights w/Hubie....X-mas Day Vs Mike....Playoffs... You wanna talk about PLAYOFFS????

Starks

Starter
Say what you want about Reggie, but if it wasn't for him, the rivalry between us and the Pacers is nothing but a little blip in Knick history.

Watching those games were the best times of basketball in my life and I would do anything for the Knicks to have a rival that got a city fired up like Miller did. It equates to pain, joy, and really turns watching the Knicks into an emotional Shakesperian Drama played out for us in the greatest arena in the world.

It beats broadway. It beats seeing a movie. That rivalry was simply the best event in town, all thanks to Miller.

So what if we lost a lot of those games. Grow a pair and deal with it. Being fan means being man enough to take your lumps and keep watching. I rather watch a series like that with a real "bad guy" than some boring ass game between the Knicks and Magic where everyone is smiling, joking around, and going out for dinner after the game.

Reggie Miller was like the Ric Flair of basketball. He made that series and if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have such poignant feelings when thinking back on the mid 90s.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Say what you want about Reggie, but if it wasn't for him, the rivalry between us and the Pacers is nothing but a little blip in Knick history.

Watching those games were the best times of basketball in my life and I would do anything for the Knicks to have a rival that got a city fired up like Miller did. It equates to pain, joy, and really turns watching the Knicks into an emotional Shakesperian Drama played out for us in the greatest arena in the world.

It beats broadway. It beats seeing a movie. That rivalry was simply the best event in town, all thanks to Miller.

So what if we lost a lot of those games. Grow a pair and deal with it. Being fan means being man enough to take your lumps and keep watching. I rather watch a series like that with a real "bad guy" than some boring ass game between the Knicks and Magic where everyone is smiling, joking around, and going out for dinner after the game.

Reggie Miller was like the Ric Flair of basketball. He made that series and if it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have such poignant feelings when thinking back on the mid 90s.

All thanks to Miller my ****ing ASS!!! All thanks to Ewing, Starks, Oak, Harper, Davis, Mason. That's why basketball was brilliant! Because of our boys! Miller was a cunt......

Growing a pair/having a pair are 2 different things. Don't love thy enemy dude.

We, NK made that series. If there's a line in the sand, you need to check your bearings.

**** that shit.

pakopako

Benchwarmer
Give the man his due.

I already went thru that pain and disgust, why relive it?
I can respect Miller now that he's long and retired. Much like Alonzo Mourning, I can't begrudge the man once they quit.
Well, not as much any how.

Still wouldn't watch those shows again due to those exact reasons CC gave. The last good memory I have of Knicks-Pacers was Mike Sweeney getting a last second winning tip-in in Miller's last game VS the Knicks (at Indiana, too).

Man I hated Miller-time.
I really, really hated Miller-time.

Why the heck wasn't there anything like that for Starks and Ewing?

Starks

Starter
All thanks to Miller my ****ing ASS!!! All thanks to Ewing, Starks, Oak, Harper, Davis, Mason. That's why basketball was brilliant! Because of our boys! Miller was a cunt......

We, NK made that series. If there's a line in the sand, you need to check your bearings.

**** that shit.

I think everyone here on this forum knows I don't discredit my beloved 90s Knicks. That was reall ball back then. Not the pussy ball David Stern turned the game into.

All I'm saying is that if it wasn't for Reggie Miller, there would have been no rivalry. And during that rivalry was the best time to be a Knick fan because of the entertainment those games had. It captivated an entire city and is still talked about today with intensity.

No one ever talks about the way we swept the Hawks. The games vs. the Raptors and so forth. No one ever talks about that because it was simply forgetablle.

Reggie Miller was an entertainer. A showman. Years later even the most staunchest of Knick fans should be able to recognize this and give him his due. Why else do you think the Garden gave him a standing ovation and cheered crazily for him everytime he touched the ball in his last game at the Garden?????

CoolClyde

8's

**** that shit.

TOTALLY F*CKING :agreed: - well said.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I think everyone here on this forum knows I don't discredit my beloved 90s Knicks. That was reall ball back then. Not the pussy ball David Stern turned the game into.

All I'm saying is that if it wasn't for Reggie Miller, there would have been no rivalry. And during that rivalry was the best time to be a Knick fan because of the entertainment those games had. It captivated an entire city and is still talked about today with intensity.

No one ever talks about the way we swept the Hawks. The games vs. the Raptors and so forth. No one ever talks about that because it was simply forgetablle.

Reggie Miller was an entertainer. A showman. Years later even the most staunchest of Knick fans should be able to recognize this and give him his due. Why else do you think the Garden gave him a standing ovation and cheered crazily for him everytime he touched the ball in his last game at the Garden?????

There's just no way on earth we're gonna see eye to eye on this one.

Not trying to sound like I'm outdoing you, but it's Knicks all the way for me. The only player who was ever exempt from my hate as a rival player was Alonzo Mourning. Ewing's top mate. Every single one of those other Heat and Pacer sluts can choke on a prong.

I only ever saw the enemy as the enemy. I'm not gonna suicide bomb anyone, but **** 'em ALL!

And **** Jordan too.

Starks

Starter
Well the point of forums is to air your opinions to an interested public, so there's no rule about putting people on trial who don't agree, so I'll live with not seeing eye to eye.

On a related note, I think a better Knick related 30 for 30 film would be one on the downfall of Isiah Thomas. That be interesting to document the futility of this mans career off the court. It be like that Tyson doc

jimkcchief88

All Star

Great post!!!! The lack of rivalries is why NBA basketball sucks right now. Teams don't hate each other like they used to. I grew up watching Sixers/Celtics, Lakers/Sixers, Celtics/Lakers, Lakers/Pistons...... Those teams hated each other and it showed on the court. Now its who cares who is playing who as long as the multi-million salaries get paid. The result: The basketball is boring even though the talent is much better. Knicks/Pacers/Heat/Bulls was beat you on or off the court. You looked forward to those games because no matter which team had the better record, it was on. I guess I'm sounding like a grumpy old man hear but I get what you are saying. I'm gonna watch just to hear that old Garden chant of "DEFENSE" one last time.

Kiyaman

Legend
Well the point of forums is to air your opinions to an interested public, so there's no rule about putting people on trial who don't agree, so I'll live with not seeing eye to eye.

On a related note, I think a better Knick related 30 for 30 film would be one on the downfall of Isiah Thomas. That be interesting to document the futility of this mans career off the court. It be like that Tyson doc

I never liked that short rival with the Pacers b/c we used to beat them (4-1) on a regular, untill they got our (last ROY) Mark Jackson (St. Johns) as their PG.

I liked the Rival between Boston (50 point Bernard King), Miami Mourning vs Ewing, and bumbing-heads with the Jordan Bulls every playoff.

Starks

Starter
I never liked that short rival with the Pacers b/c we used to beat them (4-1) on a regular, untill they got our (last ROY) Mark Jackson (St. Johns) as their PG.

I liked the Rival between Boston (50 point Bernard King), Miami Mourning vs Ewing, and bumbing-heads with the Jordan Bulls every playoff.

The Pacers rivalry did a lot of damage to me. Miller's antics killed me in ways that stung for hours. I literally had hangovers in school the next day thinking about how he and Smits would kill us. It wasn't fun at the time and I def feared that team the most when Jordan was gone.

My favorite rivalry was w/o a doubt Miami. I loved being an underdog and spoiling their playoff runs after their superb season next to our mediocore ones. It was then I learned the regular season didn't mean much other than to squeek in the playoffs.

We don't have anything close to a rivalry now, but i can already predict our next one. It will be with whatever team LeBron signs with. It will start with him slighting us, and then be accentuated by comments he makes on why he didn't chose NY.

XH20X

Rookie
This thread demonstrates exactly why LeBron will never be in NY because he rather be a Knick-Killer like Reggie than play for NY.