2013 Playoffs - Round 1 Game 5 / Knicks vs Celtics - 05/01 7:00 pm

This is surprising, why?

This is textbook Woodson at it's core, and also textbook Melo.

This is what happens when a team chucks 3's at a historic pace (and runs very hot with them), but is still helmed by a coach and star play who's fatal flaws have always been their selfish passion or stubborn reliance on ISO.

This isn't about a "bad night" for Melo; and because he IS a top 10 individual player in the NBA, it is easy to get mixed up in what the core issues are, and what's really rotten underneath it all.

That is, if you want to field a team with true championship contending aspirations.

Sad thing is, Walsh is long gone, Dolan is more pro-active than he's been since vintage Isiah Thomas years for MSG, and this is easily the best team he has ever fielded, and may ever field if long-standing history is any indiciation.

JoeBo21

Benchwarmer

does kinda look like thats what he said.. hopefully melo doesn't shoot 3-40 in game 6 now

this team was waayyy too c0cky before this game and to come out and completely choke at home is ridiculous. Melo might as well of not even played the last two games cause he hasn't done ****

hopefully this game will teach JR to keep his damn mouth shut. Chuck is right (unfortunately).. you don't celebrate winning in the first round especially when you were expected to win this series

T.O Knick

Benchwarmer
The 1 seed in the WC is going to game 6 with the eight seed so it happens. Lose game 6 up in Boston and then I'll start sweating it.

This is going 7.

We have totally fooked this up, Woodson has gone back to all out ISO ball, problem is Melo has gone Siberian Cold.

Think we'll take it in a nail biting game 7 but let us be frank it's pretty embarrassing minus Rondo we're going to need 7 games to beat a Celtics team who have no PG and were down 3-0. Speaks to the lack maturity and mental toughness from likes of Melo and JR.

skisloper

Starter
does kinda look like thats what he said.. hopefully melo doesn't shoot 3-40 in game 6 now

this team was waayyy too c0cky before this game and to come out and completely choke at home is ridiculous. Melo might as well of not even played the last two games cause he hasn't done ****

hopefully this game will teach JR to keep his damn mouth shut. Chuck is right (unfortunately).. you don't celebrate winning in the first round especially when you were expected to win this series

after thrwoing an elbow in terrys face and then getting suspended for a game did not teach him to shut his mouth...

JR looked loss last night and twice failed to RUN back on defense.......WOODSON did what he did last year he closed his eyes and corssed his fingers and let JR in there for 36 crappy minutes,,,,thats not coaching

bigapple

Starter
if Celtics will force game 7 Knicks will be became biggest ridiculous crap team in playoffs history.

Friday ESPN this is simply must win game

i dont understand why Pablo has been not playing in enitre 2nd half.

Melo iso-insanity continues.

metrocard

Legend
This is surprising, why?

This is textbook Woodson at it's core, and also textbook Melo.

This is what happens when a team chucks 3's at a historic pace (and runs very hot with them), but is still helmed by a coach and star play who's fatal flaws have always been their selfish passion or stubborn reliance on ISO.

This isn't about a "bad night" for Melo; and because he IS a top 10 individual player in the NBA, it is easy to get mixed up in what the core issues are, and what's really rotten underneath it all.

That is, if you want to field a team with true championship contending aspirations.

Sad thing is, Walsh is long gone, Dolan is more pro-active than he's been since vintage Isiah Thomas years for MSG, and this is easily the best team he has ever fielded, and may ever field if long-standing history is any indiciation.

This is why Woodson isn't COY for me.

and Melo is a top 5 player, get that straight.

Jordan Crawford should get jabbed in the eye.

Garnett is a dirty bitch.

p0nder

Starter
What a stinker. J.R. didn't show up at all after being held out and then talking all that trash he did nothing to back it up. I'm very disappointed in swish with that performance. Too many jumpers, not enough attacking the rim. The pick'n'roll was not used effectively by anyone other then Felton and T.Chandler occasionally. That scissor hand off was run exactly one time with lazy effort. The team routinely trotted up and down the floor, waived off a called play and ran Iso-Melo or Iso-J.R. for almost all of the plays even when they were ice cold.

This was a poorly coached loss too. Pablo out the entire second half after being the only one hitting 3's? Felton routinely getting pitted against Pierce on D? 1 called play for novak (who was hurt in this game I think?) Poor rebounding, poor defensive effort and poor execution of a solid, simple game plan led to an obvious loss in all quarters. The knicks need to come out with an edge next game and really turn it on early. And not with poor fouls, or chatter but with dead eye shooting and a vengeance to get to the rim. They need to go right at KG and Pierce. The game plan in game 4 was actually a good plan and if they had anyone but Melo to rely on for scoring they would have won that game. J.R. Smith didn't show up to game 5 either so we lost. I think Amar'e would solve a lot of problems if we get to the next round and he comes back healthy.

I am impressed with Felton's play in the playoffs this year. He was a lone bright spot in the last two games and I feel comfortable with him playing the PG spot on offense. He has trouble covering Pierce, even tho pierce didn't light him up this game the space for the open look was usually there for the taller SG Pierce. Felton's efforts went a long way. As did Shumpert's. Shump is the brightest future on this team is evolving to be a menacing defender. Having guys like Pablo, Felton and Kidd around really helps a guy like Shump find his edge. i think he feeds off of their intensity on D and he gives it right back to them.

And holy ****ing dog balls, I can't even listen to Chuck any more. I turn the channel when he comes on because I can't handle the idiocy coming out of his mouth.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
I was Melos big fan, even when he was playing in Denver, but i may become his hater real quick. If we lose this series, it will be on him, JR, and Woodson. But mainly it will be on Melo, who is suppose to be our leader.
This dude is not passing the ball. When he gets it, it looks like his teammates stop moving, because they know they will not get that ball.
Melo avareges something like 1.6 assists per game in this series. What? 1.6 assists? This is disgasting.
I am going to going to say right now, even if we win on friday, KD is a much better leader and is a better player than Melo. And the reason i think he is better, simply he makes everyone on his team better. Thats it.

uber

Benchwarmer
The only thing we can hope is that the last two games actually woke them up. I thought we will stomp them after the first loss but the loss yesterday was even worse than the first one (even with Melo not hitting anything in game 4).

It has been talked too much about the ECF against the Heat and how good we match up against them. Right now we might not survive the first round against old and washed up Celtics who aren't even the better team.

Kiyaman

Legend
Ball movement stops players from taking foolish shots .. pass da dutchie

Damn! im happy i miss the worst Knicks game of the season .. the train got crowded on 34th st. with angry fans leaving MSG lastnight.

Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
This team is highly allergic to assists. Do we even run any plays???

is ISO a play? if so then yeah

We run plays. I can see that we attempt to run plays. But when the plays are stopped by the opposing defense, our back up plan is to run iso-Melo/iso-JR (which usually results in a midrange jumpshot)
Woody needs to get the other guys more involved on offense. I don't know about other people, but I usually get more motivated to play hard on both ends of the floor when I contribute to the offense.

We used to run pick & role plays, but none in the postseason games.
KG & Bass are the only players defending the paint in Boston's 48 minute rotation ..
KG had 17 rebounds each in the last 3 games.

Woodson has become a postseason question mark?
Woody letting Melo play 45 minutes at the PF position is a joke in the playoffs.
Woody playing a 3 and 4 guard offense throughout the Boston series has become a joke.
Woody never playing 3 or 4 bigmen in the rotation throughout 82 games has caught up with him.

Woody was suppose to knockout a couple of
"Fire Extiguisher" after 18-59 shooting, and 3-14 shooting .. those statistics were Melo & JR in last year postseason games.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I'd like to apologize for not making the GT as promised, last night I got totally wasted and to be absolutely honest with you guys I got so drunk I even forgot about the game itself.

Kiyaman

Legend
I was Melos big fan, even when he was playing in Denver, but i may become his hater real quick. If we lose this series, it will be on him, JR, and Woodson. But mainly it will be on Melo, who is suppose to be our leader.
This dude is not passing the ball. When he gets it, it looks like his teammates stop moving, because they know they will not get that ball.
Melo avareges something like 1.6 assists per game in this series. What? 1.6 assists? This is disgasting.
I am going to going to say right now, even if we win on friday, KD is a much better leader and is a better player than Melo. And the reason i think he is better, simply he makes everyone on his team better. Thats it.

If u been a Melo fan, then u should know Melo been having career problems at getting a few of his teammates to committ to the postseason games throughout his NBA career.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
I'd like to apologize for not making the GT as promised, last night I got totally wasted and to be absolutely honest with you guys I got so drunk I even forgot about the game itself.

LOL. It looks like you had much better time than those of us who watched that garbage

skisloper

Starter
If u been a Melo fan, then u should know Melo been having career problems at getting a few of his teammates to committ to the postseason games throughout his NBA career.

The issue in game 5 is clearly Woodson. He becomes an amateur coach come playoff time. The Hawks got no where and right now the Knicks seem to be in trouble. He has the mentality that if given enough time JR will start hitting shots.....He plays the law of averages that eventually shots will fall.......Of course Woody does not weight the consequences of allowing that to happen not does he show faith in his other players..........

In the first quarter last night Prigioni after I beieve Garnet made a defensive rebounded knocked the ball out of KG'S hand and went off KG and was Knicks ball.....With the stop play Woodson took out Prig ) who looked baffled ) and put in Smith.......Prgioni moves the ball and plays solid defense yet Woodson goes with Smith way too soon..

Also Jason Kidd had no steam in the tank and often passed on taking a shot........He could not stop Pierce but rather then play Prig and Shump together he went with Smith for 36 minutes....Smith refused to run back in transition I mean this is the playoffs,,,,

Woodson is doing what he did last year and the same he did with the Hawks and it just does not work. Coach the team . he is like a little kid who is be whipped around by Doc.

skisloper

Starter
The issue in game 5 is clearly Woodson. He becomes an amateur coach come playoff time. The Hawks got no where and right now the Knicks seem to be in trouble. He has the mentality that if given enough time JR will start hitting shots.....He plays the law of averages that eventually shots will fall.......Of course Woody does not weight the consequences of allowing that to happen not does he show faith in his other players..........

In the first quarter last night Prigioni after I beieve Garnet made a defensive rebounded knocked the ball out of KG'S hand and went off KG and was Knicks ball.....With the stop play Woodson took out Prig ) who looked baffled ) and put in Smith.......Prgioni moves the ball and plays solid defense yet Woodson goes with Smith way too soon..

Also Jason Kidd had no steam in the tank and often passed on taking a shot........He could not stop Pierce but rather then play Prig and Shump together he went with Smith for 36 minutes....Smith refused to run back in transition I mean this is the playoffs,,,,

Woodson is doing what he did last year and the same he did with the Hawks and it just does not work. Coach the team . he is like a little kid who is be whipped around by Doc.

Just to add Pablo played 13 minutes,,,,,,,,,,,,,He was averaging 18-19 as a starter.......But I guess this is the world according to Woody