Roy Hibbert will dominate Tyson this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Low

Rotation player
Tyson is getting worse every year and Hibbert is only getting better. The chances of him dominating Chandler next year are very high.

xk3smith

Benchwarmer
All that weight gain will come back to haunt Hibbert. If he was playing fine last year and so dominate why more mass??? Didn't Amare put on more muscle as Knick?? Worked out great for him, huh??? I saw a MMA reference here..... Anybody who follows the sport knows more mass is not always a plus. Your body has to work extra hard to feed that muscle. No MMA elite is a raging muscle packed dude. Don't believe me?? Research.

Rob Low

Rotation player
He doesn't look any bigger to me just more defined and his conditioning is probably a lot better. Defending him is gonna be a nightmare for us.

knicksince 93

Rotation player
Call me a twitwit then because we don't need him to win. Melo missed time we struggled, Felton missed time we struggled. Chandler missed time we flourished. He doesn't contest shots he doesn't box he can't score, gets horsed(not just in the playoffs) in the regular season too. It was just easily over looked because we were winning. His production can easily be replaced. In fact all he's good for is the tip out that counts as an offensive rebound to give us second chance opportunities well on an offense that was 3rd in efficiency there aren't that many second chance opportunities needed therefore his greatest strength is our least needed thing. He frauded us.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Call me a twitwit then because we don't need him to win. Melo missed time we struggled, Felton missed time we struggled. Chandler missed time we flourished. He doesn't contest shots he doesn't box he can't score, gets horsed(not just in the playoffs) in the regular season too. It was just easily over looked because we were winning. His production can easily be replaced. In fact all he's good for is the tip out that counts as an offensive rebound to give us second chance opportunities well on an offense that was 3rd in efficiency there aren't that many second chance opportunities needed therefore his greatest strength is our least needed thing. He frauded us.

I'm gonna try and be nice here in the face of sheer ignorance..

Dude Tyson IS the focal point of our defense. He doesn't always get the block, but Tyson is very good at challenging/ changing shots. He has an awesome presence that can be duplicated by few players in the league. Plus he rebounds in double digits. He IS one of the best rebounders on the league, easily.

Alot of what you and others reference regarding him looking bad against Indiana is due IMO to him not being healthy and a strategy of us playing small alot of times in the face of a quality bigman rotation.

Basically Tyson had too much to worry about against Indy. How do you guard Hibbert properly while also having to worry bout Melo's man cleaning (whether he was guarding the four or the three, George killed us on the glass too) the glass on a miss? Or how do you front Hibbert or come out to the foul line against him, when you have to rotate back to close down the paint because Felton and Prigs can't stay in front of Hill or Stevenson? Tyson could only do so much. Factor in the fact he wasn't right injury-wise an you have some issues to consider.

You're just looking at Tyson and not seeing other factors on the court that were impacting the game for him defensively regarding his responsibility in the face of increasing needs.

tiger0330

Legend
I gave Tyson credit in his head to head stats with Hibbert, TC so far has gotten the better of their matchup but this is Chandler's 13 year in the league. No one gets better after 12 years in the league and most have noticeable fall offs.

I just admired Hibbert for all the work he put into the weight room and statements like "you don't get better by playing with scrubs" when asked about practicing with Duncan, Splitter and Mahnini as to a reason Hibbert will best Chandler in the coming years. Hibbert still has a lot to prove but his upside is there, Chandler's is not.

tiger0330

Legend
the very fact that this thread exists is total conjecture based upon the fact that Hibbert played well in the playoffs, and Chandler was still injured from a neck injury and more. just because Hibbert is bigger now, and has put on muscle and poundage means he's going to dominate? a healthy Chandler plays well against anyone, and if Knicks have more than 1 defensive/rebounding personality in the paint, I wouldn't sweat it, and surely wouldn't create an entire thread based on an opinion that puts down the NYK.
Oh give me a break, lighten up dude this is the summer. FYI, this is what makes the front page on CBS in the off-season.

d494696e124f11e3bcaf22000a1fbcb3_7.jpg

New New York

Quiet Storm

Dude Tyson IS the focal point of our defense. He doesn't always get the block, but Tyson is very good at challenging/ changing shots. He has an awesome presence that can be duplicated by few players in the league. Plus he rebounds in double digits. He IS one of the best rebounders on the league, easily.

Alot of what you and others reference regarding him looking bad against Indiana is due IMO to him not being healthy and a strategy of us playing small alot of times in the face of a quality bigman rotation.

Basically Tyson had too much to worry about against Indy. How do you guard Hibbert properly while also having to worry bout Melo's man cleaning (whether he was guarding the four or the three, George killed us on the glass too) the glass on a miss? Or how do you front Hibbert or come out to the foul line against him, when you have to rotate back to close down the paint because Felton and Prigs can't stay in front of Hill or Stevenson? Tyson could only do so much. Factor in the fact he wasn't right injury-wise an you have some issues to consider.

You're just looking at Tyson and not seeing other factors on the court that were impacting the game for him defensively regarding his responsibility in the face of increasing needs.

Bingo!!!!

Dallas would gladly trade any player not named Dirk for Tyson

Gregg Popovich,Tommy Tibbs and Doc Rivers (the 3 best coaches in NBA) would cry tears oof joy to have Tyson anchoring their Dyet we got posters wanting to trade him because while being sick and coming off an injury he didn't play so well

knicksince 93

Rotation player

Tyson chandler doesn't challenge shots, how many times last year was someone going in for the layup and he dodges out of the way?with and without foul trouble. No Tyson chandler and we still get to the second round last. If he was so important to us how come we flourished without him when we went down. If he was really that good then it's no way a 36 year old sitting on the couch for a half a season and do exactly what he did. That proves he is replaceable. If he is the center of our defense then we are in trouble. Our guards got beat so bad of the dribble last year, his job is to help. But he's a horrible help defender so he's useless to greatest weakness and useless because of our greatest strength as I mentioned in my previous post.

knicksince 93

Rotation player
Bingo!!!!

Dallas would gladly trade any player not named Dirk for Tyson

Gregg Popovich,Tommy Tibbs and Doc Rivers (the 3 best coaches in NBA) would cry tears oof joy to have Tyson anchoring their Dyet we got posters wanting to trade him because while being sick and coming off an injury he didn't play so well

Dumb post. If those coaches would scream oof, well the spurs would put him across from Duncan would do basically everything he doesn't do. And no thibs would not have that same approach because he has noah who's waaaaaay better then t.c. him and Jerome Jordan are the same player with different levels of experience. That statement has no weight as the teams you picked have the worst starting centers in the league. Tiago splitter and deandre. Who wouldn't want tyson chandler over them.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Dumb post. If those coaches would scream oof, well the spurs would put him across from Duncan would do basically everything he doesn't do. And no thibs would not have that same approach because he has noah who's waaaaaay better then t.c. him and Jerome Jordan are the same player with different levels of experience. That statement has no weight as the teams you picked have the worst starting centers in the league. Tiago splitter and deandre. Who wouldn't want tyson chandler over them.

Saying JJ compares favorably to Tyson is ludicrous. You failed yourself out of this debate smh.

knicksince 93

Rotation player
Saying JJ compares favorably to Tyson is ludicrous. You failed yourself out of this debate smh.

That's a typo I def meant deandre jordan because u said doc rivers and he is ya know the coach of the clippers who deandre not Jerome plays for.

Rob Low

Rotation player
Sick or not there's no reason Melo can contain West and Tyson can't contain Hibbert. Tyson being all nba 1st team is the biggest travesty since Rose winning mvp

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
You guys don't understand. See below..

Tyson Chandler?s Impact on the Knicks.

Tyson Chandler being on the New York Knicks and his value as a center can bring forth many different opinions.

Some Knicks fans point to is incredible job of changing the culture in Dallas and being the second best player (sorry Jason Terry) on the only team to beat the Miami Heat in a playoff series in the ?Big 3? era as evidence that he is a very valuable cog to a winning team.

Some Knicks fans will lament that signing him forced the team to amnesty Chauncey Billups, which leaves Amar?e Stoudemire?s contract on the books with no escape. And some other Knicks fans believe that he is a good defensive player who doesn?t bring too much offensively, citing his total lack of a low post game. Let?s find out his real impact on the team.

Despite a woeful second round of the playoffs for the Knicks, Chandler was at worst the second most valuable Knick this past season.

He was the team?s best defensive player, the second best offensive player, and at least from the outside appeared to be the team leader. This year Chandler was in the top 10 in a number of statistics. The most surprising ones, aside from is .207 win shares per 48 minutes, fourth in the league only behind LeBron James, Kevin Durant, and Chris Paul and also leading the team in the statistic for the second straight year, to some are the offensive statistics.

This season Chandler?s offensive rating (133) led the entire NBA. Obviously anyone who watches basketball knows that he isn?t the best offensive player in the league but it would be unwise to simply dismiss this statistic. Whether it is his incredibly efficient shooting (.671 True shooting percentage, also led the league), his offensive rebounding (14.1, third in the league), or is excellent pick-and-roll play Chandler really opens things up for offenses.

In fact the Knicks lineup of Raymond Felton, Jason Kidd, J.R. Smith, Carmelo Anthony, and Chandler ranked sixth in the NBA of all 158 lineups that have played at least 100 minutes together with an offensive rating of 119.3. Considering that for much of the year Felton, Kidd, and Smith were erratic offensively (and just not very good defensively) the burden of creating points fell more so on Chandler and Anthony.

No, Chandler does not have the low post game of Tim Duncan or even Roy Hibbert but scoring is just one part of offense. As stated before his offensive rebounding (often via tipping the ball out to a teammate) and ability to suck the defense in on pick-and-rolls (38 percent of his shots were dunks and his efg was 1.000% on those shots) make him a real force offensively even with his limited touches.

But Chandler is better known for his defensive prowess.

Chandler won DPOY last year and was lauded by many NBA analysts for essentially having to guard all five positions. Stuck with subpar defenders for both of the last two years, Chandler is the defensive anchor who must keep the team from essentially giving up points at will.

The Knicks overall defense was not very good this year, sporting a defensive rating of 106.3, 18th in the league. When looking at the player?s individual defensive ratings on the team, only one (Kidd with 103) had a lower rating than Chandler?s 104. Anthony, Iman Shumpert, Felton, and Smith all had ratings between 106-108. During the regular season the Knicks didn?t see much of a dip in defensive rating when Chandler left the floor (though one has to wonder how almost always sitting against the second unit affects this) but saw an eight point rise (95 to 103) in the statistic when he left the floor in the playoffs, this even against the offensively challenged Celtics and Pacers.

Overall Chandler these past two years has been of immense value to the Knicks and it would be very difficult to imagine many other centers being able to help bring the success the Knicks have had over the past two years. Is Chandler Dwight Howard? No, he?s not but you?d be hard pressed to find many other centers that can both lead a defense and greatly impact an offense without demanding the ball on too many possessions.

New New York

Quiet Storm

Ummm...I picked Tom Tibbs who had an All Star Center in Noah! So explain how I picked "the worst centers only"

And the notion that Noah is "waaaaaay better" lacks insight on so many levels. mostly because you a basing it off of what Tyson did in the playoffs against Indy and not what he has done for us the past 2 seasons. Thats the problem with Knick fans, a player has an amazing series he's Shaq 2.0 if he struggles then he is garbage!

No disrespect to Noah but Tyson on his best day gives a team more than Noah. Noah is a personality and a high energy guy and again I respect that...but he's not better than Tyson....insert Noah on 2010 Mavs in the place of Tyson they don't win a Title! There is more than Basketball than what shows up in box scores

Further more I picked championship caliber teams to illustrate that Tyson is the type of player who winning teams want!

and no DeAndre (Jerome is the Jamican dude) Jordan is not a less experienced player. DeAndre lacks Tyson's Defensive IQ/Instincts and Tyson is a better offensive player than him

Again what sucks is that the Tyson hate is all coming from one bad series and all this Hibbert love is coming from an equally short span of success.

SMH!!!

knicksince 93

Rotation player
Ummm...I picked Tom Tibbs who had an All Star Center in Noah! So explain how I picked "the worst centers only"

And the notion that Noah is "waaaaaay better" lacks insight on so many levels. mostly because you a basing it off of what Tyson did in the playoffs against Indy and not what he has done for us the past 2 seasons. Thats the problem with Knick fans, a player has an amazing series he's Shaq 2.0 if he struggles then he is garbage!

No disrespect to Noah but Tyson on his best day gives a team more than Noah. Noah is a personality and a high energy guy and again I respect that...but he's not better than Tyson....insert Noah on 2010 Mavs in the place of Tyson they don't win a Title! There is more than Basketball than what shows up in box scores

Further more I picked championship caliber teams to illustrate that Tyson is the type of player who winning teams want!

and no DeAndre (Jerome is the Jamican dude) Jordan is not a less experienced player. DeAndre lacks Tyson's Defensive IQ/Instincts and Tyson is a better offensive player than him

Again what sucks is that the Tyson hate is all coming from one bad series and all this Hibbert love is coming from an equally short span of success.

SMH!!!

So deandre isn't less experienced then a player who's been in the league over a decade? Silly response that's an obvious answer. Todays noah on that mavs team, they still win a championship. Noah on our team makes us waaaaaaaay better then tyson chandler. We wouldn't have lost to indy with noah. Tyson chandler isn't a great shot blocker, not a great rebounder, can't score, cant play help defense. In fact the only center he plays well is dwight Howard. But he has major offensive limitations as well. He went out for a substantial amount of time and we not only missed a beat we got better none of our numbers dipped. How is needed then. He's still serviceable and can still be a center on championship caliber teams if they don't have our deficiencies. You picked doc, he'll play him across from blake who will grab all the boards, or across from duncan who again will do the boarding and defense that chandler does. Chicago doesn't need him so pointless to respond to them. I'm not saying he's useless to us but if we could move him We'd be perfectly fine without him

knicksince 93

Rotation player
And the tc that we have is not the same person who played with the mavs. He's slower rolling to the rim off pick and rolls, doesn't finish how he used to when the lobs come(his only way of scoring) how many times last year (prior to and in addition to) did ray, pablo and kidd lob him stuff that he just totally screwed up? Perfect lobs he would have had when we was good. He gets pushed off the block easier. Slower on rotations. So stop referencing to the mavs title hes not 75 percent that player anymore.

Rob Low

Rotation player
Noah is way better than Tyson. There's literally not 1 thing I can think of that Tyson does better than him

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
And the tc that we have is not the same person who played with the mavs. He's slower rolling to the rim off pick and rolls, doesn't finish how he used to when the lobs come(his only way of scoring) how many times last year (prior to and in addition to) did ray, pablo and kidd lob him stuff that he just totally screwed up? Perfect lobs he would have had when we was good. He gets pushed off the block easier. Slower on rotations. So stop referencing to the mavs title hes not 75 percent that player anymore.

Again..

He was the team’s best defensive player, the second best offensive player, and at least from the outside appeared to be the team leader. This year Chandler was in the top 10 in a number of statistics. The most surprising ones, aside from is .207 win shares per 48 minutes, fourth in the league only behind LeBron James, Kevin Durant, and Chris Paul and also leading the team in the statistic for the second straight year, to some are the offensive statistics.

This season Chandler’s offensive rating (133) led the entire NBA. Obviously anyone who watches basketball knows that he isn’t the best offensive player in the league but it would be unwise to simply dismiss this statistic. Whether it is his incredibly efficient shooting (.671 True shooting percentage, also led the league), his offensive rebounding (14.1, third in the league), or his excellent pick-and-roll play Chandler really opens things up for offenses.

All you've shown is that you have an incredibly biased opinion re Tyson. I posted evidence of his impact from just last season and all you do is continue to post he same thoughts with nothing to back it up.

Tyson is still a very effective pick and roll player, also evidenced by Melo's indication he wants to run it more with him. How are you gonna say he doesn't finish around the rim like he used to when his FG % is as high as it's ever been? He doesn't rebound?? Are you kidding me. How many times do we see him tip the ball out to a teammate ala Bill Russell? No other center in the league uses that skill consistently. Tyson has mastered it. That's why his offensive rebound rate is so high. He also averaged double digit rebounds (10.7) last season. That's basically 11 rebounds per. Dude puts in work. He is easily one of the best rebounders in the league.

I don't know why some Knick fans go out of their way to hate on a guy who does all the dirty work, who reps the team and himself well. Dude did all he could for us with an injury in the playoffs and people don't see that. Can you imagine how we'd of looked without him against Indiana?? We'd of been out in 5.

And Tyson Chandler is waaaayy better than DeAndre Jordan. That was still a ridiculous comment if you did make a typo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.