Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Resign him and keep him long term

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Resign him and trade him January 2013 with Amare

Votes: 13 23.2%

• Total voters

p0nder

Starter
I can't front on Lin accepting the offer. I mean he struck gold with Linsanity and had to get paid for it. I don't know why the knicks didn't make any offer at all. They didn't offer first, they didn't offer last. they just let him walk. To me it was a gross misuse of an asset and shows Dolans lack of understanding of the business and team management. That move should have cablevision investors worried.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
I assume he must have known what money we could offer him. He shouldn't have accepted that ridiculous Rockets' offer. But he did and he probably knew we weren't going to match it. It's a matter of time before some Linsane bangwagoners start talking about how Lin's agent pushed him to sign with Houston. But, for me it's a closed case, no hard feelings towards Lin but dude plays for an other team and personally I don't give a **** what he says a couple of months after the deal was done.

I would like to echo this statement, but add at least 7 f*cks to it.

Last edited:

Forrest17

Rotation player
Glen Grunwald has been fantastic for us in everything accept how he handled this.

It was monumentally stupid of him to let the market dictate how much he was worth. He should have just given him an affordable offer, something in the range of what we are giving Raymond Felton now, right when free agency started and he would have accepted it.

The rockets didn't come after Lin till a bit later. They were making all sorts of crazy moves, even trying to get dwight howard. Lin wasn't their biggest priority at the start. It was only when things fell through for them did they chase after Lin.

Everyone can say Lin shouldn't have accepted the deal. But that was the only deal on the table. The knicks NEVER gave him an offer.

Grunwald completely botched this whole situation.

iSaYughh

Starter
Yes, moot.

But, I see this as being simple in the key elements involved (however you feel about Lin the player being totally moot), that effect management to players to coach, all current, which definitely isn't moot.

*Dolan officially assumed a permanent bent over position on all four for Melo. Over time, Dolan showed signs of going official all in on Melo. This culminated with the Lin decision.

*Melo doesn't like Lin. And our team mojo and chemistry has been a wreck with Melo.

*Melos boy, who happens to be our coaches boy, also doesn't like Lin.

*Melo and Smith both made UNPRECEDENTED public remarks about a player on their own team involved in contract negotiations.

This is possibly the most unsung, and unfathomable, situations that occurred throughout the Lin Decision.

*We told Lin to test the market and intentionally didn't give him an offer.

If anyone wants to know what test the market means, it means exactly what happened with Houston and Lin. Trust that even a billionaire bitch like Dolan knows what happens when you tell a dude to test the market and not give an official offer yourself.

Again, crazy to not even give a lowish offer, as a matter of good faith and seriousness. Which brings to:

*When Lin officially hit free agency, we weren't even amongst the top 3 teams to call him and his agent. Again, an extremely odd, odd thing. That flew in the face of what Lin, ans surely any executive who wants to show seriousness in resigning a player in such a spot.

*Woodson making public remarks that Lin would be resigned and we would match.

Again, a truly insane thing to happen.

Making no remarks about Lin being worth or not worth a donkeys flaccid dick:

*our franchise, from owner, to start players, to coach, made EXTREMELY odd public statements and decisions, from the time Lin officially became an FA. And odd is putting it very mildly.

Odd, moronic, unprecedented, contradictory is a good description.

Finally, the cop out of it being some logical, financial decision just holds no salt. First off, if we had a price in mind for Lin, and wanted to keep Lin, we would have made him a ****ing offer. And created an opportunity to get a "hometown" style discount, and simply wrap **** up by making a big sales pitch to him.

NYK brass almost took every deliberate step one would take, to have a Houston situation occur. To say nothing of player and coach remarks, which is a seperate (but in regards to Melo) connected situation.

But let's throw out what already flies totally in the face of the NYK ever having a true intention to resign Lin (again, we can go back to their actions even in the minutes Lin hit FA officially):

The Houston situation occurs, NYK then say, essentially: thanks for testing FA, Jeremy, but it's too much dough for us.

Okay. Fair enough. Idiotic to let happen (especially if you believe the Melo Knicks ever really wanted in back), but okay, let's take it on face value:

Lin did not get a crazy offer. Particularly, the 2nd Houston offer compared to the first. Allow me to explain:

The so called Poison Pill, a gargantuan number surely to attract the instinctive grimaces of fans everywhere, was not a bad thing. In fact it was a good thing.

Lin revolved around two things. His opportunity to make the franchise tons of money (undeniable), his ability to lead the NYK from the point and be worth the type of bones being thrown his way (debatable).

And this is why the Houston contract is actually quite a favorable and flexible one. It essentially let's you maintain Linsanity and Lin, for truly bargain numbers at first, while giving you the following, key flexibility in his final year:

To decide, after reality has already given you the ultimate information to make an informed decisions, whether Lin is worth resigning long term. Or, whether you can aggressively trade a fantastic 1yr contract in a trade to an NBA team.

Eddie ****ing Curry was an asset to us in his final year.

I will not get into what happens and what has been done if the other side of the debatable point comes to fruition, and Lin is not EFC.

But in the game of risk and reward to fielding a winning team, to us having management capable of being true winners, to the very star players we have being....star players, the Lin decision was this, in poker hand analogy:

We got dealt a couple kings preflop, flashed one card to the table while fumbling around with our chips, limped, let 7 players come along, and when the flop came:

A 5 8, and we faced a single bet, folded, while telling ourselves we had to do it because an ace hit the flop.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
I dont' think it's a moot point, Lin came out in this article and put the target on the Knicks, by saying he wanted to retire with the Knicks.

He knew what the Knicks could offer. He could get a better deal outside, which is all dictated by the CBA. The Knicks could sign him up with their MLE and that would be that. But Lin wanted more, he went to the Rockets who offered more, then much more with the poison pill once management opened up their mouth and said they'd match the original offer. If he's saying now he wanted to retire a Knick, then he should have negotiated with the Knicks only. His agent not knowing the rules and ramifications of the poison pill offer sheet, is not an excuse for not knowing the Knicks would not match. He should have told Grunwald he would only negotiate with the Knicks, or I want the max the Knicks could offer, which was 4 for 20 million and closed the books, then I will believe that you wanted to retire a Knick. Don't say now you wanted to retire a Knick, you went out and negotiated a deal outside. I liken this situation to the Antonio McDyess Denver debacle. McDyess who finished his one season with Kidd and Phoenix, somehow found himself locked away in the Pepsi Center during an Avalanche game(negotiations happened in January with the lockout back then). Kidd, Rex Chapman all flew into Denver, limoed over to the Pepsi Center but was not given access to the premises. McDyess was on the phone with Kidd and Chapman who told him not to sign, Kidd reassuring him the whole time they were coming to get him. He ended up signing with Denver. He regretted signing later on.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
Yes, moot.

But, I see this as being simple in the key elements involved (however you feel about Lin the player being totally moot), that effect management to players to coach, all current, which definitely isn't moot.

*Dolan officially assumed a permanent bent over position on all four for Melo. Over time, Dolan showed signs of going official all in on Melo. This culminated with the Lin decision.

*Melo doesn't like Lin. And our team mojo and chemistry has been a wreck with Melo.

*Melo and Smith both made UNPRECEDENTED public remarks about a player on their own team involved in contract negotiations.

This is possibly the most unsung, and unfathomable, situations that occurred throughout the Lin Decision.

If anyone wants to know what test the market means, it means exactly what happened with Houston and Lin. Trust that even a billionaire bitch like Dolan knows what happens when you tell a dude to test the market and not give an official offer yourself.

Again, crazy to not even give a lowish offer, as a matter of good faith and seriousness. Which brings to:

*When Lin officially hit free agency, we weren't even amongst the top 3 teams to call him and his agent. Again, an extremely odd, odd thing. That flew in the face of what Lin, ans surely any executive who wants to show seriousness in resigning a player in such a spot.

*our franchise, from owner, to start players, to coach, made EXTREMELY odd public statements and decisions, from the time Lin officially became an FA. And odd is putting it very mildly.

Finally, the cop out of it being some logical, financial decision just holds no salt. First off, if we had a price in mind for Lin, and wanted to keep Lin, we would have made him a ****ing offer. And created an opportunity to get a "hometown" style discount, and simply wrap **** up by making a big sales pitch to him.

NYK brass almost took every deliberate step one would take, to have a Houston situation occur. To say nothing of player and coach remarks, which is a seperate (but in regards to Melo) connected situation.

But let's throw out what already flies totally in the face of the NYK ever having a true intention to resign Lin (again, we can go back to their actions even in the minutes Lin hit FA officially):

The Houston situation occurs, NYK then say, essentially: thanks for testing FA, Jeremy, but it's too much dough for us.

Okay. Fair enough. Idiotic to let happen (especially if you believe the Melo Knicks ever really wanted in back), but okay, let's take it on face value:

Lin did not get a crazy offer. Particularly, the 2nd Houston offer compared to the first. Allow me to explain:

The so called Poison Pill, a gargantuan number surely to attract the instinctive grimaces of fans everywhere, was not a bad thing. In fact it was a good thing.

Lin revolved around two things. His opportunity to make the franchise tons of money (undeniable), his ability to lead the NYK from the point and be worth the type of bones being thrown his way (debatable).

And this is why the Houston contract is actually quite a favorable and flexible one. It essentially let's you maintain Linsanity and Lin, for truly bargain numbers at first, while giving you the following, key flexibility in his final year:

To decide, after reality has already given you the ultimate information to make an informed decisions, whether Lin is worth resigning long term. Or, whether you can aggressively trade a fantastic 1yr contract in a trade to an NBA team.

I will not get into what happens and what has been done if the other side of the debatable point comes to fruition, and Lin is not EFC.

But in the game of risk and reward to fielding a winning team, to us having management capable of being true winners, to the very star players we have being....star players, the Lin decision was this, in poker hand analogy:

We got dealt a couple kings preflop, flashed one card to the table while fumbling around with our chips, limped, let 7 players come along, and when the flop came:

A 5 8, and we faced a single bet, folded, while telling ourselves we had to do it because an ace hit the flop.

Good point, regarding that expiring in the final year. It's a guarantee teams out there will make long term mistakes, Lin being an easy expiring for other team's to correct mistakes with Lin possibly is an enticing offer so much so they'd add a draft pick or rights to a player as well to sweeten the pot. These guys have no forward thinking, thinking outside the box. For years Cuban held Dampiers contract because the last year of Damp's contract was not guaranteed, it would become guaranteed on July 31 or something like that, so Cuban could trade Damp's contract in a sign and trade, or eventually a straight up trade. Mavs fans were thinking Lebron, Bosh, JJ at the time, when nothing came through, Cuban just threw a piece of crap on the wall, knowing Charlotte didn't want to payout too much in player salaries, he sent Damp's unguaranteed salary for Chandler's final guaranteed year.....the rest is history......take a page from Cuban's wheeling and dealing....take a chance....almost all positives comes from having Lin around.

Starks

Starter
I have a hunch the Lin will be back. I envision him not exactly becoming a superstar in Houston and even falling a bit off the national radar. I wouldn't be shocked if the Knicks try to get him back a few years from now. There's too much history, between the Knicks and Lin for the story to end like this...despite Dolan

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
I have a hunch the Lin will be back. I envision him not exactly becoming a superstar in Houston and even falling a bit off the national radar. I wouldn't be shocked if the Knicks try to get him back a few years from now. There's too much history, between the Knicks and Lin for the story to end like this...despite Dolan

Hey isn't his free agent year, when the Knicks have nothing on the books as well....stranger things have happened.

skisloper

Starter
Good point, regarding that expiring in the final year. It's a guarantee teams out there will make long term mistakes, Lin being an easy expiring for other team's to correct mistakes with Lin possibly is an enticing offer so much so they'd add a draft pick or rights to a player as well to sweeten the pot. These guys have no forward thinking, thinking outside the box. For years Cuban held Dampiers contract because the last year of Damp's contract was not guaranteed, it would become guaranteed on July 31 or something like that, so Cuban could trade Damp's contract in a sign and trade, or eventually a straight up trade. Mavs fans were thinking Lebron, Bosh, JJ at the time, when nothing came through, Cuban just threw a piece of crap on the wall, knowing Charlotte didn't want to payout too much in player salaries, he sent Damp's unguaranteed salary for Chandler's final guaranteed year.....the rest is history......take a page from Cuban's wheeling and dealing....take a chance....almost all positives comes from having Lin around.

The luxury tax would have been increased to 47 million in that final year. No matter to hold on or to let him go that tax was not changing because moving Lin or keeping him would have required a dollar for dollar trade.

We have 3 huge expiring contracts that same year lins would have been.

D

CA7

Scoring Champ
The luxury tax would have been increased to 47 million in that final year. No matter to hold on or to let him go that tax was not changing because moving Lin or keeping him would have required a dollar for dollar trade.

D

And I can pretty much guarantee Melo and Chandler will sign extensions prior to that and STAT who started it all will get a new deal

JaYnYcE

Benchwarmer
Yes, moot.

I stopped reading. It was too much conspiracy. What do you make of the dinner that Tyson, Lin, Melo and Woodson had prior to the Olympics? If you addressed this already just say, addressed and I'll search through the propaganda to find it. Also, did you mention that Melo has constantly expressed interest in playing with Lin? But since he made a comment about Houston's ridiculous contract, everything thing Melo has said before and after that is moot? Again, if already addressed, please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer

D

...and thus the nickname Poison Pill.

elcol

Rotation player
I expect Lin to come back in a few years from now. Just a gut feeling. One can imagine the resurrection story for Lin and the Knicks it would be a big story.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Cry me a river build a bridge and get over it LIN!!!

Move on!!! If I were Houston I would instruct him to stop talking about NY its just disrespectful to his current team.

That's like me talking about my ex with my wife.

Honestly him saying he thought the Knicks would match any offer sounds like he really did not want to be a Rocket and now this?

Hey he's shooting 27% from the field and more than a 2 to 1 assist to t.o. ratio...stop talking about The Knicks and learn your new team's playbook

Rob Low

Rotation player
I hope he tears his acl, mcl, shatters both ankles, and contracts aids. Then turns to doing drugs because he's so depressed and lose all his money and becomes homeless. Then starts sucking dick for bus fare

Reactions: CA7

JaYnYcE

Benchwarmer
I hope he tears his acl, mcl, shatters both ankles, and contracts aids. Then turns to doing drugs because he's so depressed and lose all his money and becomes homeless. Then starts sucking dick for bus fare

LOL funniest thing I've read in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Den318

Benchwarmer

Jealousy is a bitch isn't it?

Ghostowl

Benchwarmer
Players don't leave money on the table. Lin was looking for some measure of security. Our genius front office didn't lift a finger so he took what he could get.

Exactly.

To be fair, there was only 1 REAL offer on the table, and what kind of person is going to say "You said you were gonna offer me a LOWER salary! I refuse to sign this!" ESPECIALLY when the Knicks Front office announced they would match anything up to a billion?

Knicks never offered him anything...if I was a player, I would want some kind of security for my life.