Landry Fields is not a starter.

metrocard

Legend
I dont know why Fields getting so many minutes. He brings some intangibles but when he's off half the time he's really bad.

Iman and Earl need to play more because of defense, better handles and passing.

Lin and Fields can't play together unless Landry is the 3.

Landry is a 3, not a 2.

Melo is our 3, which means Fields has to be on the bench.

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
He picks up Amare slack on the boards. He's an okay defender, and doesn't need the ball in his hands to score. He cuts, slashes and picks up second chance points. I may agree that he doesn't need as much minutes.

Red

TYPE-A
Told you.

It would be different if he played lock-down D but we're essentially playing with 2 SF's instead of playing with a legit SG.

Mike doesn't want to f*ck with his confidence.

Told you.

It would be different if he played lock-down D but we're essentially playing with 2 SF's instead of playing with a legit SG.

Mike doesn't want to f*ck with his confidence.

Yeah but i think Iman is the way to go since we can bring him out on the best player to make that player have a slow start and not gain momentum.Fields can be a very good bench player but he cant space the floor and he isnt a reliable starter which means bench player.Iman is a better shooter,scorer,finisher and waaaaay better defender which is what we need to motivate STAT and Melo on that end.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Fields is a SF playing the SG position. He's not starter worthy for this team but what other option do we have? Walker? we need JR's scoring punch off the bench. Fields aint exactly the "ill come off the bench and get you buckets type player"

But i would package Fields/Td/Jerome/walker for kevin martin and see if the rockets bite the bait, which they probably wouldn't :boohoo:

Last edited:

KingCharles34

All Star
He picks up Amare slack on the boards. He's an okay defender, and doesn't need the ball in his hands to score. He cuts, slashes and picks up second chance points. I may agree that he doesn't need as much minutes.

Thats the only value he has as a starter, usually hes a good rebounder even though he only got one tonight. But overall I think JR Smith would be the best fit in the starting lineup. He gives us more perimeter shooting then Shumpert does which is important in MDA's system. Shumperts an energy guy and a whole lot more off the bench. I love what he does on defense, if another pg is giving Lin problems u can put Shumpert on them and he'll slow down just about anyone. Hes extremely valuable to this team, his value is very underrated. Hes shaky on offense but what he does on defense reminds me of Tony Allen, i seen other posters make that comparison and I like it. While i think his hands might be even better then Allens, his overall defense aint quite as good yet but I think he'll be even better. Shumperts only half way through his rookie season, we found a gem with him. His offense will improve too, he'll be the starter next year and probably an all star too. But for this year, I think Smith makes the most sense.

Red

TYPE-A
Yeah but i think Iman is the way to go since we can bring him out on the best player to make that player have a slow start and not gain momentum.Fields can be a very good bench player but he cant space the floor and he isnt a reliable starter which means bench player.Iman is a better shooter,scorer,finisher and waaaaay better defender which is what we need to motivate STAT and Melo on that end.

Don't get me wrong. I agree Fields isn't a starter, I was just assuming D'Antoni's decision.

I disagree though that Landry doesn't space the floor, I think he does, he moves and is a garbage man. That works for Mike because he has two alpha males in the line-up with a drive and dish PG, so he fits the role for that line-up.

Shump although talented defensively needs his minutes monitored as we've seen from an injury standpoint and Mike knows he needs his D.

The logical choice is JR but he isn't as familiar with the O as Fields and is making a case for the 2nd unit. Mike likes Shump at the 3, Baron running the 2nd unit point thus leaving Smith as another scorer on the floor with Novak.

So I see his philosophy, not necessarily agree. I see Fields as a player who's confidence is waning because of the playoffs last year. Mike's moves (or lack there of) preserves Field's confidence and keeps Shump healthy by limiting his minutes.

Shump in a way is our 2nd most important defender and all around player. An argument can be made he would have made the difference against MIA. My issue is come playoff time. Is Mike preparing these units for crunch time?

And also I believe Landry sees an in by having good chemistry with Lin. He'll vouch for Fields.

I Kinda like the fire power we have coming off the bench... but maybe starting Iman or JR would prevent us from getting down by so much early in games to the point where the bench has to dig us out. Preferably start Shump

iSaYughh

Starter
+1, another quality and apropos Landry.

This was another reason I, like some others, was so enthused about the JR signing from the get go.

The depth alone, allows us to play Fields where he is best at -- SF, and fulfilling the legit need of giving Melo a very quality backup.

At the same time, JR's arrival allows us to further define Shumpert's role at our 2, with Fields moving to the 3, where Shumpert is clearly both extremely effective and suited towards.

AND, we may well find ourselves this year wanting to start Shump, for both his skills and defensive excellence, and allow the hot, versatile stroke of JR to fly off the bench.

CoolRunnings

Benchwarmer
Thats the only value he has as a starter, usually hes a good rebounder even though he only got one tonight. But overall I think JR Smith would be the best fit in the starting lineup. He gives us more perimeter shooting then Shumpert does which is important in MDA's system. Shumperts an energy guy and a whole lot more off the bench. I love what he does on defense, if another pg is giving Lin problems u can put Shumpert on them and he'll slow down just about anyone. Hes extremely valuable to this team, his value is very underrated. Hes shaky on offense but what he does on defense reminds me of Tony Allen, i seen other posters make that comparison and I like it. While i think his hands might be even better then Allens, his overall defense aint quite as good yet but I think he'll be even better. Shumperts only half way through his rookie season, we found a gem with him. His offense will improve too, he'll be the starter next year and probably an all star too. But for this year, I think Smith makes the most sense.

My only argument about leaving fields in the starting lineup is that he doesn't take shots away from Lin, Melo and Stat. He plays off the ball, and JR serves better in the second unit when we need him to be taking shots. The second unit needs JR to stay there becasue he is one of the few who can create a shot for his own.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Fields is a SF playing the SG position. He's not starter worthy for this team but what other option do we have? Walker? we need JR's scoring punch off the bench. Fields aint exactly the "ill come off the bench and get you buckets type player"

But i would package Fields/Td/Jerome/walker for kevin martin and see if the rockets bite the bait, which they probably wouldn't :boohoo:

Kevin Martin makes 11 million dollars, there's no way for the Knicks to get him.

There probably isn't a trade for a SG out there, that doesn't involve more than what we're looking to give up.

I would target OJ Mayo*, Brandon Rush, and Shannon Brown as probably the most getable in a trade.

I put an * next to OJ because it seems like Memphis changes their mind on a daily basis as to whether or not they're gonna move him. But he makes $5M in the last year of his deal this year, and is the kind of talent you want to extend if you acquire him. I dunno how that fits into the team's current plans.

Maybe even a Raja Bell would be a good starting 2.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Kevin Martin makes 11 million dollars, there's no way for the Knicks to get him.

There probably isn't a trade for a SG out there, that doesn't involve more than what we're looking to give up.

I would target OJ Mayo*, Brandon Rush, and Shannon Brown as probably the most getable in a trade.

I put an * next to OJ because it seems like Memphis changes their mind on a daily basis as to whether or not they're gonna move him. But he makes $5M in the last year of his deal this year, and is the kind of talent you want to extend if you acquire him. I dunno how that fits into the team's current plans.

Maybe even a Raja Bell would be a good starting 2.
i didn't realize he made that much lol, shame on me ehhh i dont really want rush or brown.. Mayo would be nice. raja bell ehhh to old he's like 35 rather keep fields.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
i didn't realize he made that much lol, shame on me ehhh i dont really want rush or brown.. Mayo would be nice. raja bell ehhh to old he's like 35 rather keep fields.

I just checked out a trade involving Kevin Martin on the trade machine, but it's not letting me share it for some reason.

The Knicks get: Kevin Martin, Patrick Patterson. The Rockets get: Andre Iguodala, Fields, Craig Brackins. 76ers get STAT.

The Rockets would get Fields and Iggy to play the 2 and 3, or have one come off the bench and let Terrence start at the 2 or 3. Philly would open it up for Evan Turner to start at the 2, and Brand can come off the bench to give their second unit some more versatility, and the Knicks can replace STAT with a young talented big who can space the floor in Patterson, and we'd be getting one of the most efficient, volume scorers in the league (how the hell do you almost lead the league in 3s made and free throws made? that's ridiculous.)

Ultimate dream scenario, and not totally off the wall. But probably won't happen.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
PHI would never do that.

AI is so underrated.

They have been trying to get out from under his contract and want to get Evan Turner more burn.

They'll eventually move one or the other.

They already explored moving Iggy this summer; if not this trade deadline, then this summer it'll happen. They have $18M locked up at one position, an aging 4, and no foreseeable replacement and are HIGHLY unlikely to get a good draft pick.

I agree Iggy is underrated, but paying Iggy $13M and Turner $5M this season, both with 3 years left, isn't making much sense...someone is getting moved.

smokes

Huge Member
I don't mind if Fields starts, nor Shump. JR Smith should not start we need him in the second unit to provide scoring. Baron and Smith have a nice rappor going already too.

The way I see it, it's quite nice as Shump and Fields are both still young, game to game you can play one or the other more depending how they each perform out of the gate. Fields was having a bit of an off night so Shump picked up the most of the minutes second half and provided great cover. I'm sure the opposite will happen at some point since Shumpert will not play great every single game, he's too young and his consistency isn't there yet.

nuckles2k2

Superstar

I'm not disagreeing with you, lol. Philly has no cap space tho, no true backup at PF, a rookie center filling in for their breakout 4th year center, 2 SGs eating up $18M in cap space, their former #2 overall pick averaging 23 mins, 8 points, 5 rebounds and 2 assists, and a 32 year old PF with 2 years of at least $17M left.

As good as Iggy is, his long term value to the team is a trade piece to do something about their front line, while they let Turner, Young, Holliday, and Williams, take over the back court and the wings.

At some point, they're pulling the trigger on a deal. I don't see them trading Turner or any of their other cheap talent who's rights they control. Iggy is it. Despite how underrated he is, or his sick highlights.

NYk_Reloaded718

★KNICKS-TAPE★
Kevin Martin is a great shooter but he plays matador defense. No, thank you.
i guess you dont remember Fields & dougie getting torched by ray allen. Fields defense has improved slightly but he's not locking anybody down. He's a SF running through screens trying to keep up with SG's. Fields cant shoot and has SO-SO defense. He's good for rebounding and slashing thats about it. i rather have a knock down shooter playing the wing. When that zone hits our offense Fields is a lost puppy. He (Fields) is aiming his shot and looks rather uncomfortable shooting.

Last edited: