This is why I hate the NBA media

Trin_Starr

Starter
***A news conference will be held this afternoon where the Magic will announce that Lewis has signed a six-year sign-and-trade deal worth a staggering $127.2 million***

Tht's 21mil a season....If Isiah were to give someone a contract like that ESPN, FOXnews, NY papers would all be down his throat saying how he's an idiot, another stupid NY over value signing etc....

I can't believe that Orlando would give Lewis that amount of money!!!
wow! and the media is not even rippin' them about that absurd deal!!

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
not only did they overpay for Lewis... they also withdrew their qualifying offer to Darko, making darko an unrestriced free agent...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6993092

you gotta also remember that the NY media is notoriously loud and obnoxious too though... the rest of the country doesn't really talk about knick moves unless we're winning...

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
I agree 100%. The media have a hard on for Thomas. All of the back in the day stuff about him refusing to play Jordan in the All-Star games and him not passing the ball to Jordan in the Olympics. I believe he and Bird have bumped heads in the past. This on top of the fact that Thomas makes it easy to jump on him due the high salaries and his choice of bringing in seemingly offensive minded players. (Key word: Seemingly) So the bar is much higher for Thomas than many other GM's. Here's the proof. Just look at the shit job Larry Bird has done with the Pacers. He's traded away that teams future. They had me shook when the drafted Harrington but Bird shipped him of to Golden State for Peanuts and now Oneal wants to leave. Let's not even talk about Kevin McHale (Minnesota Timberwolves). This team went from Western Conference finals to not even making the playoffs the next year. That is the worse situation in NBA history but you don't hear the media going after McHale do you? Lewis is NOT a 20 million a year player. The Magic are the new Knicks for real. Expect them to be in salary cap hell for a minute.

dr.carpy

Benchwarmer
This spells the end of Hedo Turkoglu as a member of the Magic. He's still got 22 milli left in his deal. The media hates Isiah. Plain and simple. He doesn't kiss up to them so they all salty with him. Jordan is seemingly ruining the Bobcats, but he's a genius cause he's Michael Jordan. Otis Smith just over paid a guy who played 60 games in a contract year! Better Orlando than us!

ShairanXIII

Rotation player
Plus... Jordan drafted Kwame Brown #1 overall...

McHale gave Joe Johnson an illegal contract that voided 5 years of first round draft picks...

Danny Ainge continuing to ruin the Celtics...

Even Rod Thorn overpaying for Vince Carter...

I think a lot of GMs get off easier than IT... but this is NY... he's under a microscope...

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer
Plus... Jordan drafted Kwame Brown #1 overall...

McHale gave Joe Johnson an illegal contract that voided 5 years of first round draft picks...

Danny Ainge continuing to ruin the Celtics...

Even Rod Thorn overpaying for Vince Carter...

I think a lot of GMs get off easier than IT... but this is NY... he's under a microscope...

Lets not forget the debacle of mitch kupchek.. i mean give kobe to any GM and they will find the right players to put around him. Not Vlad Radmaonvic and Smush Parker.

metrocard

Legend
Trin_Starr, nice impersion of George M at the end of your post...lol just playing with you.

Orlando Magic don't need Darko that bad, he's really inconsistant and doesn't dominate as a big man. At best, he'll be a complimentary big man. Darko wants to be the main focus on offense all the time. Dwight Howard is the man in Orlando, and Darko's agent was a dick about it. Magic overpaid Lewis, definately, but they got a great 2nd option and their offense looks much better than it did last year(their offense was pretty weak) Still, their GM is an ass for overpaying Lewis, and not realizing they have a problem at PG. They have 4 PG's, they gotta let go of two and add some big men to help Dwight Howard, and they need a SG also.

Bobcats accually got a nice squad now. Raymond Felton is one of the most underrated PG's in the NBA, people forget he was part of the Paul/Williams/Felton trio of lottery pick point guards. Jason Richardson? When healthy, he can preform as good as Vince Carter, along with Gerald Wallace and Emeka Okafor, thats a very solid team. If Okafor steps up, I wouldn't be suprised to see the Bobcats sneak into the playoffs. I'm not calling their GM is a good one, but they're definately much improved.

Thorn is a superior GM to Isiah, you're gonna say Thorn isn't because he overpayed for Carter? How do you overpay for Vince Carter? He's one of the most entertainer players in the league, has a huge fan base, gives you 25-27 points per game and is an all star. Sure, he's not a leader, never really had Kobe like momments in the playoffs, but he's definately worth the buck. Nets are a playoff team too, they even improved their front court with the return of Kristic, and addition of Sean Williams and Jamal Magloire. I honestly don't see how thats a bad job. Like seriously, fuck the Nets, but they don't have an Isiah-like GM.

Celtics don't really know where they're going, but Rando/Allen/Pierce/Jefferson/Perkins is a promosing starting 5 if they work together. Ainge is an idiot for extending Doc River's contract

GiantsKnickFan, Kobe isn't Shaq. Plus, Lakers are a playoff team, they just happend to run into the Suns everytime they make the playoffs. They're just not at championship level yet.

Please guys, don't like discard as a non-Knick fan, this just from the NBA perspective, I want my Knicks to blow these teams out every fucking night as if its their job. But with our poor management, shitty bitch owner, it brings my hopes down. So I put all my faith into guys like Balkman, Lee, Collins, etc to change this franchise around and terminate all the one dementional soft non defense individual players

am I the only one that doesn't really care what bias the media comes from?

Isiah is a fucking terrible GM. This fact doesn't change until we get results.

BTW, don't you guys hate it when other fans won't dare vote for a Knick...or even give a Knick any props they deserve? It's like poison to them. I HATE that more than what a buch of talentless mass media majors have to say.

Last edited:

GiantsKnickFan

Benchwarmer
Trin_Starr, nice impersion of George M at the end of your post...lol just playing with you.

Orlando Magic don't need Darko that bad, he's really inconsistant and doesn't dominate as a big man. At best, he'll be a complimentary big man. Darko wants to be the main focus on offense all the time. Dwight Howard is the man in Orlando, and Darko's agent was a dick about it. Magic overpaid Lewis, definately, but they got a great 2nd option and their offense looks much better than it did last year(their offense was pretty weak) Still, their GM is an ass for overpaying Lewis, and not realizing they have a problem at PG. They have 4 PG's, they gotta let go of two and add some big men to help Dwight Howard, and they need a SG also.

Bobcats accually got a nice squad now. Raymond Felton is one of the most underrated PG's in the NBA, people forget he was part of the Paul/Williams/Felton trio of lottery pick point guards. Jason Richardson? When healthy, he can preform as good as Vince Carter, along with Gerald Wallace and Emeka Okafor, thats a very solid team. If Okafor steps up, I wouldn't be suprised to see the Bobcats sneak into the playoffs. I'm not calling their GM is a good one, but they're definately much improved.

Thorn is a superior GM to Isiah, you're gonna say Thorn isn't because he overpayed for Carter? How do you overpay for Vince Carter? He's one of the most entertainer players in the league, has a huge fan base, gives you 25-27 points per game and is an all star. Sure, he's not a leader, never really had Kobe like momments in the playoffs, but he's definately worth the buck. Nets are a playoff team too, they even improved their front court with the return of Kristic, and addition of Sean Williams and Jamal Magloire. I honestly don't see how thats a bad job. Like seriously, fuck the Nets, but they don't have an Isiah-like GM.

Celtics don't really know where they're going, but Rando/Allen/Pierce/Jefferson/Perkins is a promosing starting 5 if they work together. Ainge is an idiot for extending Doc River's contract

GiantsKnickFan, Kobe isn't Shaq. Plus, Lakers are a playoff team, they just happend to run into the Suns everytime they make the playoffs. They're just not at championship level yet.

Please guys, don't like discard as a non-Knick fan, this just from the NBA perspective, I want my Knicks to blow these teams out every fucking night as if its their job. But with our poor management, shitty bitch owner, it brings my hopes down. So I put all my faith into guys like Balkman, Lee, Collins, etc to change this franchise around and terminate all the one dementional soft non defense individual players

BTW, don't you guys hate it when other fans won't dare vote for a Knick...or even give a Knick any props they deserve? It's like poison to them. I HATE that more than what a buch of talentless mass media majors have to say.

1. Kobe would take any team either in the west or east into the playoffs, the dude is only the best all around player in the league with only 1 eqaul on both sides, reg season and playoffs (duncan) after that, every superstar, etc has a weakness.
With a player of that caliber, gettin the right players shouldnt be that hard. and in LA, gettin to the playoffs isnt enuff, they only have 10+ trophies in the hallway. Their expectations are much higher. And look at what kupchek has done, (big money to cook- that looks like a zeke move lol, big money to vlad- another zeke move. that covers jeffries and james. lol. but zeke doesnt have zobe on his roster. get it?

2.Ur right about Thorn, he isnt a bad GM at all. I mean, he did draft MJ no?

3. Isiah isnt the best GM, but honestly. There isnt a man alive that could have done much better with what was left. Seriously. 100mil houston with bum knees? what is there to do? Mcdyess?? Wow.
I say it took too long to try and rebuild, but id take the LB year and not count it. This would be the yr that results should be seen. If not, then Isiah is a terrible GM. But if curry takes the next step from last yr and this team makes the playoffs, who knows what could happen. One playoff appearance could change the outlook of Isiah, expecially when the freakin cavs made the finals in the east. I think that woke everyone in the east to realize that the east is WIDE OPEN. almost every team in the east thinks theyve gotten better.

Trin_Starr

Starter
Metrocard - what's up with all the cussin man?
Read everyone else's posts on here. They get their points across minus the caustic undertones.

As a forum we want to foster open communication and discussion - and not try to incite other members.

metrocard

Legend
1. Kobe would take any team either in the west or east into the playoffs, the dude is only the best all around player in the league with only 1 eqaul on both sides, reg season and playoffs (duncan) after that, every superstar, etc has a weakness.
With a player of that caliber, gettin the right players shouldnt be that hard. and in LA, gettin to the playoffs isnt enuff, they only have 10+ trophies in the hallway. Their expectations are much higher. And look at what kupchek has done, (big money to cook- that looks like a zeke move lol, big money to vlad- another zeke move. that covers jeffries and james. lol. but zeke doesnt have zobe on his roster. get it?

2.Ur right about Thorn, he isnt a bad GM at all. I mean, he did draft MJ no?

3. Isiah isnt the best GM, but honestly. There isnt a man alive that could have done much better with what was left. Seriously. 100mil houston with bum knees? what is there to do? Mcdyess?? Wow.
I say it took too long to try and rebuild, but id take the LB year and not count it. This would be the yr that results should be seen. If not, then Isiah is a terrible GM. But if curry takes the next step from last yr and this team makes the playoffs, who knows what could happen. One playoff appearance could change the outlook of Isiah, expecially when the freakin cavs made the finals in the east. I think that woke everyone in the east to realize that the east is WIDE OPEN. almost every team in the east thinks theyve gotten better.

I still think Garnett, Lebron, and Duncan are better all around players than Kobe, this is a comparision from last season. Lebron's defense was at his best last season, while we saw Kobe didn't do his best job on defense in 2007. But you're right, Kobe is top 1-5. When you trade away Shaq, the expectations definately have to be lower. Lakers must crazy to think they can win a title with Shaq and only Kobe alone.

As for Isiah, he's a very agressive GM with a history of bad trades and trades that made no sense. He has improved, and has gotten alot of value on this team now. Now he needs to figure how to organize the pieces for a winning formula.

I can't believe how underrated the East is. Clevand's franchise just started becoming good. They have an elite defense, and the best player in the Eastern Conference. Detroit is still a good team. Nets have upgraded their main weakness; their frontcourt. Now with Maglooire, Kristic and Williams, its not that bad. These guys aren't all stars, but its an upgrade, especially when they depend on Kidd/Carter/Jefferson. Magic will be a better team this season, they needed offense and got it with Lewis. Bucks are a pretty good team too if they stay healthy. I guess you say the team who's most healthy will get the best results. If Knicks stay healthy, I won't be suprised if they make it to the 5th seed. But lets no underrate the up and coming Eastern Conference.

Metrocard - what's up with all the cussin man?
Read everyone else's posts on here. They get their points across minus the caustic undertones.

As a forum we want to foster open communication and discussion - and not try to incite other members.

My bad.

ShairanXIII

Rotation player

Rod Thorn isn't a bad GM... but he does get off easy... No one takes him to task for his mistakes (prolly cuz he does a good job most of the time)... but he did... draft Jason Collins instead of Zach Randolph, Agent Zero and Tony Parker... and he drafted Brian Scalabrine while Okur was still on the board... and if Vince was worth it... more teams would have bid for his services... again... I'm not calling for Rod's head... but we gotta agree that the Jersey media is letting him off the hook...

If part of a GMs job is scouting and not just trading... then IT is not a terrible GM... he's better utilizing late first round picks and early second round picks than lottery picks... but he's my gm of choice as far as the draft... his trades are another story... but he's at least got a plan now...

i LOVE when other fans hate the knicks and their players... it means where finally doing something right... i prefer us being the bad guys (ever notice how media types talk about those "awful" pat riley knick series) than being america's team...

I agree 100%. The media have a hard on for Thomas. All of the back in the day stuff about him refusing to play Jordan in the All-Star games and him not passing the ball to Jordan in the Olympics. I believe he and Bird have bumped heads in the past. This on top of the fact that Thomas makes it easy to jump on him due the high salaries and his choice of bringing in seemingly offensive minded players. (Key word: Seemingly) So the bar is much higher for Thomas than many other GM's. Here's the proof. Just look at the shit job Larry Bird has done with the Pacers. He's traded away that teams future. They had me shook when the drafted Harrington but Bird shipped him of to Golden State for Peanuts and now Oneal wants to leave. Let's not even talk about Kevin McHale (Minnesota Timberwolves). This team went from Western Conference finals to not even making the playoffs the next year. That is the worse situation in NBA history but you don't hear the media going after McHale do you? Lewis is NOT a 20 million a year player. The Magic are the new Knicks for real. Expect them to be in salary cap hell for a minute.

IT and Mike never played in the Olympics together, Isiah should've been on the first Dream Team, but wasn't. And in Mike's last All Star Game IT was the coach and he kept feeding Mike the ball trying to get him to hit the Game winner so he could get the MVP. I love IT ( peep the name) but I think that the criticsim he receives is just what any sports GM get's in NY

metrocard

Legend
Rod Thorn isn't a bad GM... but he does get off easy... No one takes him to task for his mistakes (prolly cuz he does a good job most of the time)... but he did... draft Jason Collins instead of Zach Randolph, Agent Zero and Tony Parker... and he drafted Brian Scalabrine while Okur was still on the board... and if Vince was worth it... more teams would have bid for his services... again... I'm not calling for Rod's head... but we gotta agree that the Jersey media is letting him off the hook...

If part of a GMs job is scouting and not just trading... then IT is not a terrible GM... he's better utilizing late first round picks and early second round picks than lottery picks... but he's my gm of choice as far as the draft... his trades are another story... but he's at least got a plan now...

i LOVE when other fans hate the knicks and their players... it means where finally doing something right... i prefer us being the bad guys (ever notice how media types talk about those "awful" pat riley knick series) than being america's team...

New Jersey's media is irrevelant to the world. NYC has the most revelant media in the NBA and the Knicks are the most important market in the NBA. So if the Knicks get bad results, of course the media is going to point fingers to the GM's, the Franchise player, and everything that sticks out in that organization. Thats their job, which is why I don't pay the media much attention unless its for breaking news.

Isiah is an excellent scout, no question.