Miami Make a Statement

TakMan

Rotation player
Firstly let me say that i despise the team and hope they don't win a title as long as James, Wade and Bosh are on the roster.

Having said that, I have to give them credit for the statement they made regarding the cold blooded murder of Trayvon Martin, by posting a team photo wearing hoodie attire, on facebook.

Trayvon Martin was murdered on the 26th February 2012 in Sanford, Florida by a neighborhood watch volunteer named George Zimmerman. Martin was deemed to be displaying 'suspicious' behaviour by the neighborhood watch cowboy, as he had the audacity to be a black 17 year old, wearing a hoodie and arming himself with a pack of Skittles and a container of Ice Tea. Zimmerman has thus far avoided arrest as he claimed self-defence, which possibly means that he will be exempt from prosecution as a result of Florida's 'stand your ground' law. Institutional racism in the U.S.A never ended and any attempt to highlight the ridiculous path this event has taken is welcomed by me. So, credit where credit's due. Well done Miami Heat.

db6f9a902a27d11bb09b06d496ef6926.jpg

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I agree that that murder might have had racial background, but there are no indications of any sort of "institutional racism". Does the "stand your ground" law allow you to use deadly force only against young black male? Or are you claiming that Zimmerman should be prosecuted because the kid was black? I agree that the "stand your ground" law seems ridiciulous, but dura lex, sed lex. I assume that Zimmerman wouldn't be charged with murder even if the kid was white. I agree though that the state authotities should be forced to change the law, but it's hard to see any evidence of institutional racism in this case.

Last edited:

TakMan

Rotation player
I agree that that murder might have had racial background, but there are no indications of any sort of "institutional racism". Does the "stand your ground" law allow you to use deadly force only against young black male? Or are you claiming that Zimmerman should be prosecuted because the kid was black? I agree that the "stand your ground" law seems ridiciulous, but dura lex, sed lex. I assume that Zimmerman wouldn't be charged with murder even if the kid was white.

Actually there are many reasons to believe the murderer is racist, and that he is being protected due to the racist composition of U.S institutions.

From audio evidence:

http://fcir.org/2012/03/23/on-zimmermans-911-call-what-sounds-like-a-racial-slur/

To the way the Sanford police department handled the investigation, and past events implicating Sanford police with racism:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Trayvon_Martin#Police_arrival

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Trayvon_Martin#Against_the_Sanford_police

One thing you can be certain of is that had the roles been reversed (i.e the perpetrator was black and the victim white), then the murderer would already be in prison awaiting trial. That is by definition institutional racism.

iSaYughh

Starter
One thing you can be certain of is that had the roles been reversed (i.e the perpetrator was black and the victim white), then the murderer would already be in prison awaiting trial. That is by definition institutional racism.

Do you really need someone to dreg up one (of many) examples that just flat out prove this wrong?

Lots of murders happen. And lots of ppl get off when they shouldn't -- both white and black.

People who likely are guilty of a crime not getting found guilty is nothing new. The same way Casey Anthony getting found not-guilty isn't some conspiracy or personal vendetta in any way; just people having to interpret the law rigidly, which often results in human tragedies and justice not being served.

And this has nothing to do with race the majority of the time. And when it does have something to do with race, it works out in "favor" of various races in various situations. And anyone who looks at the law w no prejudice can bring up cases that show this.

IMO, I think you have a self selecting outlet of information, forming your views. I don't doubt you've read about (and it obviously exists) racial prejudice in the legal system against blacks. My guess is, your primary sources of info *don't* elect to show the many other cases (and there are many) that go against other racial groups (and yes, many are perpetrated by blacks).

edit -- your claims of "institutionalized racism" are beyond absurd, btw. there are literally mounds of laws (most federal, and constantly being enforced...sometimes *unfairly*) to protect all minority groups in education and the workforce, black minorities notably included. check out pretty much any university or corporation and look at their by laws, and the rules and public vetting and facts of how they treat minoroties.

TakMan

Rotation player
Do you really need someone to dreg up one (of many) examples that just flat out prove this wrong?

Lots of murders happen. And lots of ppl get off when they shouldn't -- both white and black.

People who likely are guilty of a crime not getting found guilty is nothing new. The same way Casey Anthony getting found not-guilty isn't some conspiracy or personal vendetta in any way; just people having to interpret the law rigidly, which often results in human tragedies and justice not being served.

And this has nothing to do with race the majority of the time. And when it does have something to do with race, it works out in "favor" of various races in various situations. And anyone who looks at the law w no prejudice can bring up cases that show this.

IMO, I think you have a self selecting outlet of information, forming your views. I don't doubt you've read about (and it obviously exists) racial prejudice in the legal system against blacks. My guess is, your primary sources of info *don't* elect to show the many other cases (and there are many) that go against other racial groups (and yes, many are perpetrated by blacks).

edit -- your claims of "institutionalized racism" are beyond absurd, btw. there are literally mounds of laws (most federal, and constantly being enforced...sometimes *unfairly*) to protect all minority groups in education and the workforce, black minorities notably included. check out pretty much any university or corporation and look at their by laws, and the rules and public vetting and facts of how they treat minoroties.

I'm not going to get into a debate on whether institutional racism exists in the U.S or not. Above, I have presented a couple of links on the racist behaviour of Sanford Police dept alone. Laws to protect minority groups from racially motivated crimes are no good unless they are enforced. This is a topic however that belongs in another section of this forum. This particular article was created to praise the actions of the Miami Heat players, who stepped out of the bubble that professional sports figures live in, and highlighted an issue that affects society as a whole.

tiger0330

Legend
I don't know that Zimmerman is racist because he has a black friend that has known him for years coming out in his defense but that Sanford police department is a bunch of KKK'ers. If the shoe was on the other foot and Zimmerman was the one shot by Martin, he would be in jail.

That "stand your ground" law makes absolutely no sense, if 2 guys get into a fight and one is armed and shoots the other guy dead, he get's away with it according to this law.

I'm glad someone posted about this. But what pisses me off is that there are so many stories like this one and no one has heard about them. i give props to miami for standing up but I don't respect them for it. If they really really cared, they'll search up all the other people who had similar fates and really make a statement.

these days, its all about what the population mass does, makes me wonder how much people really care. Its like its almost 'cool' to make a statement because everyone does it. Some with that kony stuff.

No logical reason for why this Zimmerman guy is still free man smh

It's really sad that racism still exists these days. I mean we can soon send a man to Mars, but we can't live together in our own country because some people are full of shit.

Racism between countries is bad enough, but killing a 17 year old countryman just because he's black???

For christ's sake I hope this Zimmerman guy dies of cancer, racist bastard!

linknicks

Banned
it's my thought

Firstly let me say that i despise the team and hope they don't win a title as long as James, Wade and Bosh are on the roster.

Having said that, I have to give them credit for the statement they made regarding the cold blooded murder of Trayvon Martin, by posting a team photo wearing hoodie attire, on facebook.

Trayvon Martin was murdered on the 26th February 2012 in Sanford, Florida by a neighborhood watch volunteer named George Zimmerman. Martin was deemed to be displaying 'suspicious' behaviour by the neighborhood watch cowboy, as he had the audacity to be a black 17 year old, wearing a hoodie and arming himself with a pack of Skittles and a container of Ice Tea. Zimmerman has thus far avoided arrest as he claimed self-defence, which possibly means that he will be exempt from prosecution as a result of Florida's 'stand your ground' law. Institutional racism in the U.S.A never ended and any attempt to highlight the ridiculous path this event has taken is welcomed by me. So, credit where credit's due. Well done Miami Heat.
:gony:agree your thoughts . and i support knicks.