If there is a 2012 season we are stuck with Mike

smokes

Huge Member
The Knicks have extended the contracts of assistant coaches Dan D'Antoni, Phil Weber, Herb Williams and Kenny Atkinson through the end of the 2012 season, ensuring continuity under head coach Mike D?Antoni.

D?Antoni has one year remaining on his deal.

He is expected to add a defensive coordinator to the staff.

Obviously if they extended his brother we are gonna keep him until the end of this season (if there is a season).

I don't think any of us really expected D'antoni to go but I'm pretty disappointed. Unless we get a defensive assistant who actually gets serious input (and preferably calls our defensive playbook from the bench) then this season will probably be worse than last.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The 2012 season is the 2012-2013 season...that ends in 2013. Not the 2011-2012 season, the one in danger of being locked out and skipped.

What the **** is going on?

smokes

Huge Member
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The 2012 season is the 2012-2013 season...that ends in 2013. Not the 2011-2012 season, the one in danger of being locked out and skipped.

What the **** is going on?

I would expect it's just poor wording by the awful RealGM writers.

I'd have thought we would have extended Mike for a year too if this was the case.

Maybe, in the ultimate twist of irony, Dan D'Antoni is a defensive genius and the Knicks, by extending him past MDA's contract, are locking him up to take over and lead us to the promised land. Or...that's just a terribly worded article from which that quote comes.

Maybe, in the ultimate twist of irony, Dan D'Antoni is a defensive genius and the Knicks, by extending him past MDA's contract, are locking him up to take over and lead us to the promised land. Or...that's just a terribly worded article from which that quote comes.

Whaaaaat???? FORREAL???

smokes

Huge Member
Crazy⑧s;183965 said:
The article is from New York Post via RealGM. RealGM is just a vacuum site for the latest articles about the NBA.

Still plenty to complain about, IMO.

This is true however they usually re-write articles to make it slightly "original". I haven't seen the NY Post article, is it the same word for word?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
This is true however they usually re-write articles to make it slightly "original". I haven't seen the NY Post article, is it the same word for word?

The Knicks have extended the contracts of assistant coaches Dan D'Antoni, Phil Weber, Herb Williams and Kenny Atkinson through the end of the 2012 season, ensuring continuity under head coach Mike D?Antoni.

D?Antoni has one year remaining on his deal.

He is expected to add a defensive coordinator to the staff.

A source said Mike D'Antoni's assistant coaches -- Dan D'Antoni, Phil Weber, Herb Williams and Kenny Atkinson -- have signed contract extensions for next season, though the club has not and will not announce it. D'Antoni has plans to add another defensive assistant to the staff.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more...ba_talks_ysnlcjKFU4MbLtV79YKAUM#ixzz1RO88MZ00

Slightly adulterated in terms of info. But, as usual, less informative.

Scipio

Benchwarmer
If there is a season and we go into it with no D-Toni then personally I will have little enthusiasm for the new season.

I am so fed up with that clown and his pathetic excuses for losing. His no D. His clueless substitution patterns. How many times did we lose because of terrible D and D`Antoni would come out post game and say we lost because we didn`t shoot well.

If D`Antoni doesn`t go then we will see the same all over again.

TakMan

Rotation player
Dunno peeps. I reckon people have been too expectant of the Knicks over the past 3 years. A team that starts a season with Felton, Fields, Chandler, Stoudamire, and Turiaf cannot be expected to contend for anything more than a playoff spot. This changed in February with the trade but we need to allow the players time to figure out what works best for them collectively. Let's not forget that despite the sweep, there are many positives to take out of the first two playoff appearances. This is the coach's last season. There are no excuses following this as the team will no longer be considered new or uncompetitive. I'm not taking sides on this yet, only trying to keep a balance.

KBlack25

Starter
I wasn't expecting MDA to be gone...I honestly don't know how someone realistically could look at the situation and the facts and think he would be let go, especially with a lockout pending.

I would expect, however, if the Knicks don't improve with the talent they have right now (especially if they move Billups for a huge piece), that MDA will not be renewed (and neither will his assistants, except for maybe Herb Williams b/c somehow he always has a job).

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Extensions

The wording of the articles is ambiguous, but I cannot imagine that the assistants were extended beyond D'Antoni's current contract. There would simply be no reason to do so unless there were a commitment to extend D'Antoni. Even if there were a current intention to extend D'Antoni, there would be no sound business reason to tie the franchise's hands unnecessarily.

Actually, I believe it shows some generosity on the part of Dolan. The coaches are not part of the players' CBA. They are not locked out. Without a contract, the Knicks would not have to pay the assistants during a lock-out.

Dolan may be a fool, but he has never been cheap.

friedduck

Rookie
MDA madly exceeded expectations this last season prior to Walsh's Final Rebuild Roster Overhaul move of Melo blockbuster, and Coach D will have us beaming and steaming this season.

Priming us for adding one big piece or two nice pieces in offseason and vaulting us to dynasty/contender status.

3-4 yr extension on horizon for coach. Take it to bank.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
Dunno peeps. I reckon people have been too expectant of the Knicks over the past 3 years. A team that starts a season with Felton, Fields, Chandler, Stoudamire, and Turiaf cannot be expected to contend for anything more than a playoff spot. This changed in February with the trade but we need to allow the players time to figure out what works best for them collectively. Let's not forget that despite the sweep, there are many positives to take out of the first two playoff appearances. This is the coach's last season. There are no excuses following this as the team will no longer be considered new or uncompetitive. I'm not taking sides on this yet, only trying to keep a balance.

I don't think the D'Antoni hate is because of our record or performance (let's be honest with what was basically a NEW TEAM in February they made it to the playoffs and lost when their #2 superstar got hurt...that can't be helped) but rather because of the way D'Antoni's rotations and substitutions have frustrated the HELL out of some people.

Namely - Anthony Randolph, Darko Milicic, Roger Mason Jr., Corey Brewer...these are all guys who got burn in this system when they had no reason being on the court or guys who sat on the bench when they had skills we desperately needed