Votes: 4 21.1%
  • No; he's good, but not as good as what we can get with the money saved

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Lets see how he does in The Playoffs

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters

New New York

Quiet Storm
There maybe a thread about this already, but with the play of Douglas, plus the need for a Center we should re-visit this topic

Bottom line, if the cap comes in at 60 million this year and The Knicks don't pick up Billup's option then we have 12 million to play with.

If the new CBA imposes a hard cap the salary cap should be around 68 or so giving us about 20 million

......20 million is real serious figure when you alreday have Stat and Melo. With that much we can plug a lot of wholes on our team.

So do we keep Billups or not?

la2ny

Starter
idk :shrug:

If we could get a good 1st round pick then i'd let him go. But were not going to land Kemba, Kyrie, Brandon Knight, or Jimmer Fredette so we have no choice. Besides if its a hard cap we'd have atleast 10 mill+ so I guess we could keep him.

We should let Chauncey go and get some solid defensive role players in the offseason, now that we have melo and amare all we need now is defense and depth and a new coach of course.

YungMelo15

Benchwarmer
Im sorry but I can name ONLY 6 PGs better then billups right now. 6!!!
Rondo, Rose, Paul, Williams, Westbrook and Kidd. You can argue tony parker.

IDC what anybody says, the man is proven in this league. He had a BUM ASS series against the pacers. True! Nobody wasnt saying that before he got hurt!!!

There is no way we let him go. Why let RF go if your just gonna let chauncey go?

The only way he should leave is if we can get chris paul. Do you guys really beleive TD is the pg of our future??? A scoring pg in TD??? He would be a great backup, right where he is. Other than that, KEEP BILLUPS!!!

I love Billups & enjoy his veteran leadership skills. He's a true PG with a boat load of playoff experience.

With all that said... I'm in favor of dumping Billups & his contract for a true C' for the first time since the Ewing days. Like everyone says... Defense Wins Championships & Billups is not a defensive type of championship player. Not @ the age of 35. Douglas is a big advantage over Billups in terms of pure defensive ability.

I'd rather see...

PG- Douglas
SG- Fields
SF- Carmelo
PF- Amare
C- DeAndre Jordan

way before....

C- Jeffries
PF- Amare
SF- Carmelo
SG- Fields
PG- Billups

I'd hate to see a leader like Billups walk, but with the ammount of $$$ we have tied up into Melo & Amare? There should be no excuses for lack of leadership ability on this team.

Billups is up there in age. It's only a matter of time before he starts to break down; just like all the great one's.

We cant afford to pass up on young C's (in their prime years) such as a DeAndre Jordan or Marc Gasol for an aging Billups...

la2ny

Starter
I love Billups & enjoy his veteran leadership skills. He's a true PG with a boat load of playoff experience.

With all that said... I'm in favor of dumping Billups & his contract for a true C' for the first time since the Ewing days. Like everyone says... Defense Wins Championships & Billups is not a defensive type of championship player. Not @ the age of 35. Douglas is a big advantage over Billups in terms of pure defensive ability.

I'd rather see...

PG- Douglas
SG- Fields
SF- Carmelo
PF- Amare
C- DeAndre Jordan

way before....

C- Jeffries
PF- Amare
SF- Carmelo
SG- Fields
PG- Billups

I'd hate to see a leader like Billups walk, but with the ammount of $$$ we have tied up into Melo & Amare? There should be no excuses for lack of leadership ability on this team.

Billups is up there in age. It's only a matter of time before he starts to break down; just like all the great one's.

We cant afford to pass up on young C's (in their prime years) such as a DeAndre Jordan or Marc Gasol for an aging Billups...
Did you not see my post. You really would give up a top 10 pg for a extremly raw big that hasn't even shown the ability to dominate games on both ends? If we keep Billups and a hard cap is put in place we would still have over 10-12 million to tinker with. We could get a Dalembert for less money than DeAndre Jordan or Marc Gasol and all these RESTRICTED bigs.

Another name idk why no one brings up, understand why but he has shown the ability, Greg Oden. I know most are saying he can't stay healthy, but the Lakers still believe Bynum will be the best C in the league and be their franchise guy once Kobe is gone. So why not take a risk on Greg? I remember everyone thought Ilgauskas wasn't ever going to be healthy and he turned into an All star for a few seasons and a solid pick & pop C for many years. Greg can turn it around believe me. He's only what, 23! Thats it! He still can turn it around. Yes he has been unlucky, but it has been freak accidents.

Also I want to put this out there. Has anyone thought maybe the Trailblazers training staff isn't the best in the world? It seems to be a recurring theme:

Bill Walton
Sam Bowie
Clyde Drexler
Terry Porter
Jermaine O'Neal
Darius Miles
Zach Randolph
Joel Pryzbylla
Brandon Roy
Greg Oden
Jeff Pendegraph
Marcus Camby
Nicolas Batum

Yeah but Oden has knees made of glass after all these injuries.

Of course I'd love his overall talents... but he's a huge gamble. He's a high risk-high reward type of gamble.

Is Oden a free agent this offseason? If not, who could we trade for Oden?

Even if he is a FA... He doesn't deserve a big time contract. If we were to sign Oden for pretty cheap (which I'm in favor of) NY would still need to sign Dalembert if we're able to.

If Turiaf picks up his team option it's a bust we move his 4M contract elsewhere for a draft pick or cash. He's not worth 4 million as someone who's nothing more than a high energy guy.

Dalembert - Stoudemire - Oden - Jeffries

Now thats a front-line. Rather play Oden as our 6th man off the bench backing up both Dalembert & Amare @ the C & PF positions. Keep Oden healthy until he proves he can stay healthy; before becoming our starting C' of the future.

la2ny

Starter
Yeah but Oden has knees made of glass after all these injuries.

Of course I'd love his overall talents... but he's a huge gamble. He's a high risk-high reward type of gamble.

Is Oden a free agent this offseason? If not, who could we trade for Oden?

Even if he is a FA... He doesn't deserve a big time contract. If we were to sign Oden for pretty cheap (which I'm in favor of) NY would still need to sign Dalembert if we're able to.

If Turiaf picks up his team option it's a bust we move his 4M contract elsewhere for a draft pick or cash. He's not worth 4 million as someone who's nothing more than a high energy guy.

Dalembert - Stoudemire - Oden - Jeffries

Now thats a front-line. Rather play Oden as our 6th man off the bench backing up both Dalembert & Amare @ the C & PF positions. Keep Oden healthy until he proves he can stay healthy; before becoming our starting C' of the future.
Yes Portland did not pick up his option last
Nov. like what we did with Wilson. We can sign him to a partially garuanteed contract Which could prevent being tied down.

Also to the point of his knees. He didn't have a knee problem until he arrived in Portland. Like it's crazy how much their most important players get these major injuries. Like Brandon Roy for example, if his knees really are as bad as we think then why do they keep playing him? Their history with injuries in Portland is crazy. I have a feeling once he gets the chance somewhere else he'll make that franchise very happy because of the lack of true back to the basket 7ft. centers nowadays.

Marc Gasol
DeAndre Jordan
Nene
Dalembert
Greg Oden

I'd seriously be on cloud 9 with any of those true Centers. Any one of those BIG's would be major upgrades over both JJ & Turiaf who are both forced to play out of position (natural PF's).

As it stands: Amare Stoudemire is our only BIG who can score, rebound, block & contest shots on a consistant basis for the Knicks. He's our best defensive big man. Any one of those 5 true C's would improve Amare's defensive ability by leaps & bounds. Amare may not great on defense, may never become great, but as of right now... the man has way too much pressure of being asked to carry this defense, on a nightly basis; as our only defensive force down low. This Knicks defense needs to bring respect back to the paint & any one of those 5 Centers would do just that.

Also wouldn't mind Camby off the bench especially if we land a guy like Oden.

YungMelo15

Benchwarmer
Billup is the quarterback, a veteran who has earned his respect around the league. He is like kurt warner when he played for arizona at this point in his career.

TD can learn from this man, like he has been doing in the few games since the trade.

If we actually do get a C next season like Dalembert, gasol, jordan etc... Do you guys really think TD can run the offense as producive as billups can?

His basketball IQ is sky high, and his age mans nothing. I say that to say this: He is a shooter, who distributes the ball. Low career turnovrs, and he plays below the rim. He has a few years left.

If we put the franchise in TD's young hands, that culd spell trouble. Offensively anyway. TD needs a little more time IMO before we make him the QB with the stars we have who demand the ball.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
This is a big debate! Bit early, though.

I voted for a playoff preview.

We know what he's capable of. He has an assassin's resum?.

iSaYughh

Starter
Crazy⑧s;168105 said:
This is a big debate! Bit early, though.

I voted for a playoff preview.

We know what he's capable of. He has an assassin's resum?.

+1

The machiavelli in me is already yearning to can his ass, if he declines a hardline pre-CBA new multiyear deal. (shout to Smokes for bringing up us offering him this type of offer pre-CBA).

But really, if we make it past the 1st, and show fight in the 2nd....And Mr. BigShot plays well, he isn't going anywhere. Whether he *still* should or shouldn't aside.

Locking up at least 1 primo big this off season, making a powermove in the draft for a PG or legit energy/defensive big, and letting the chips ride with Douglas till trading for, or signing a Ridnour or Lowry type ASAP (if Douglas shows himself to be non-starer material..)

Seems like the best all around plan to me.

Get,

Jordan and BigBaby...Jordan to start at C, BigBaby to be the key sub for the 4 and 5, as Douglas is to the 2 and 1...And still have the room to likely sign a Ridnour/Lowry -- even Felton -- type of value buy PG moving forward....

5M/yr PG -- 2011 1st Rounder
Fields -- Douglas
Melo -- Williams
STAT -- Turiaf
Jordan (8M/3yr) -- BigBaby (6M/4yr)

Some legit bigs with pedigree, prescense, and game will be the truth to this entire team. I've been begging Knick FO to get Jordan for well over a year, and yearning for BigBaby the moment it was obvious he'd be a UFA. These two guys would be a revelation.

Our stable of bigs could be the envy of the world....

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Just to clear some things up...

If we keep Billups we will have approximately $61.5 mil in team salary with only 8 players on the roster (Billups, Melo, Amare, Turiaf, Douglas, Balkman, Fields and Rautins)

If we dump Billups we will have approximately $47.8 mil in team salary with only 7 players on the roster.

Ok. Now debate.

Toons

is the Bo$$
let him walk....let tony learn as much as he could from him while he could, and let him walk

p0nder

Starter
sign him! he is the only true playoff-vet on the team. He has a finals MVP in his resume. How could you watch one of the leagues best point guards ever just walk? He still brings a lot to the defensive end too, giving orders, communicating, etc. he's one of the glue guys that we need to build on.

I voted to wacth what he does in the playoffs, but i am 99% sure he will pour in a performance that will have everyone asking to have him back next year

With or without 1st watching Billups during the playoffs; I already know I want Billups back nexy year; but not if it means losing out on of Gasol, Jordan, Nene, Dalembert or maybe even Oden.

TD is good enough to at least fill the void @ PG & move on with a true C'.

As it stands? We cant head into 2011 with this hole @ 5. JJ & Turiaf shouldn't even be C's. They're natural PF's. They've played like career 3rd stringers @ best this year.

Douglas @ PG or these guys @ C? Thats the question. I go with TD in a split second.

At least TD has shown potential to become a talented PG. These guys @ C? Ughh.

I know how much experience Billups has during the playoffs, as a strong veteran leader @ the PG position. But he's what, 35 years old? It's only a matter of time before his body breaks down. Happens to all the great one's. We cant afford to pass up on a young C in his prime years; Just to hold onto an aging PG.

With the type of $ Amare & Melo make? There should be no lack of leadership ability to begin with.

IF dantoni gets fired I say keep him

IF dantoni stays hell probably ask for a buy out and go to the lakers or celtics to win another title

it really comes down to

FIRING MIKE DANTONI

Toons

is the Bo$$
sign him! he is the only true playoff-vet on the team. He has a finals MVP in his resume. How could you watch one of the leagues best point guards ever just walk? He still brings a lot to the defensive end too, giving orders, communicating, etc. he's one of the glue guys that we need to build on.

I voted to wacth what he does in the playoffs, but i am 99% sure he will pour in a performance that will have everyone asking to have him back next year

would you spend 14 mil on a glue guy?

Red

TYPE-A
would you spend 14 mil on a glue guy?

Calling Billups just a "glue guy" is like calling Derek Jeter average. :whack:

I beg to differ.

Speculating his worth from an economic standpoint combined with other factors such as need, talent, etc... going forward without addressing the questionable coaching...

is futile. :whack: