Knicks Durrant Ties

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
The Knicks have brought on a total of four assistant coaches. Kurt Rambis, Jim Cleamons, and Rasheed Hazzard are former Laker and Chicago coaches, Brian Keefe and Joshua Longstaff both worked in OKC. Both Keefe and Longstaff are highly regarded by Fisher and Durrant.

Let the speculation begin!

Is the Knicks hiring of three people (Keefe, Longstaff and Fisher) that are close to Durrant an incentive to lure Durrant to NY?

Tkf

Benchwarmer
The Knicks have brought on a total of four assistant coaches. Kurt Rambis, Jim Cleamons, and Rasheed Hazzard are former Laker and Chicago coaches, Brian Keefe and Joshua Longstaff both worked in OKC. Both Keefe and Longstaff are highly regarded by Fisher and Durrant.

Let the speculation begin!

Is the Knicks hiring of three people (Keefe, Longstaff and Fisher) that are close to Durrant an incentive to lure Durrant to NY?

if the knicks are doing this for that reason then it just shows how delusional this front office is.. why woul Durant leave a much better situation in OKC to come to NY because the knicks happen to have a few coaching staff members he may like.. I mean when in the history of any sport has a mega star in that sport done such a thing...

The incentive for durant to go anywhere would be winning and of course money... now other things like playing for your home town or with certain players may be an incentive, but those are often secondary.

Plus Durant plays with a energetic talent in westbrook.. why would he leave that to come to NY where we don't have a talent on the level of a westbrook..

if anything I can see durant going to the wizards if he ever leaves OKC... a place he said he loves playing for..

tiger0330

Legend
It can't hurt having Fisher and those other OKC guys here. Fisher is the most important since he was an ex-player that was his teammate as well as the president of the NBAPA, he has to have developed a lot of respect for DFish over the years.

With Durant signing that huge endorsement deal with Nike I don't think OKC being able to offer the biggest contract will be a factor in him signing with his next team. I said in another post that maybe Phil should keep some powder dry and use all those expirings to not go after a max player next off season and wait to take a shot at Durant. Gasol, Rondo and Aldridge are the premier FA's next year, good players but give me taking a shot at Durant if it means not trying to sign one of those 3.

Also, the Knicks can't speak to Durant but if I were Nike I would be in his ear telling him that him playing in NY would be a boon for Nike and his brand more than OKC.

While I agree that Durant leaving OKC during his career is a long shot, at least while he's in his prime, if he does decide to leave OKC for whatever reason, I think we would make his short list of teams to visit. I don't think we'd actually get him, but at least we'd have a chance to make a pitch. I said this a couple months ago, like Melo's game or not, other stars want to play with him. If you add in a competent coaching staff, which we haven't had in forever (and I'm not necessarily saying we have that now), then you never know what may happen.

paris401

Starter
Durant plays with a energetic talent in westbrook.. why would he leave that to come to NY where we don't have a talent on the level of a westbrook..i

what about jr???... and maybe we re-sign the I'Talian... just those two are worth the trip up I95...

In my mind, the most important thing that PJ can do for us is get business done next offseason and sign Marc Gasol with our cap room in 2015. If that happens, then we shouldn't even be in play for another star player when Durant becomes a free agent in 2016.

tiger0330

Legend
In my mind, the most important thing that PJ can do for us is get business done next offseason and sign Marc Gasol with our cap room in 2015. If that happens, then we shouldn't even be in play for another star player when Durant becomes a free agent in 2016.
This guy at Rants Sports is a big fan of Gasol like you are htr10. Getting Gasol is like hitting a double, getting KD is like hitting a grand slam. Whether the Knicks are patient enough to wait to make a run at KD will depend on the season the Knicks have, a disastrous season will put pressure on PJ to improve the team immediately. A first or second round exit allows PJ to be a little more patient.

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2014/...is-grizzlies-for-the-new-york-knicks-in-2015/

Kiyaman

Legend
While I agree that Durant leaving OKC during his career is a long shot, at least while he's in his prime, if he does decide to leave OKC for whatever reason, I think we would make his short list of teams to visit. I don't think we'd actually get him, but at least we'd have a chance to make a pitch. I said this a couple months ago, like Melo's game or not, other stars want to play with him. If you add in a competent coaching staff, which we haven't had in forever (and I'm not necessarily saying we have that now), then you never know what may happen.

u right, u never know what may happen.

If Phil plans are to win a playoff series over Lebron Cavs, or D,Wade Heats in the East ...then trading Melo to OKC for Durant's final season contract next offseason could be in Phil Jackson plans. u never know what may happen?

Phil Jackson going after FA Marc Gasol as his first priority in 2015 offseason to put Gasol in a Knicks uniform would be the same as the Willis Reed Championship Knicks .. Top Contenders!!!

Tkf

Benchwarmer
u right, u never know what may happen.

If Phil plans are to win a playoff series over Lebron Cavs, or D,Wade Heats in the East ...then trading Melo to OKC for Durant's final season contract next offseason could be in Phil Jackson plans. u never know what may happen?

Phil Jackson going after FA Marc Gasol as his first priority in 2015 offseason to put Gasol in a Knicks uniform would be the same as the Willis Reed Championship Knicks .. Top Contenders!!!

even if it came down to that for OKC, why would they even want to touch a 32 year old carmelo earning top dollars? why? they would be better off either letting KD go and starting over with westbrook or doing a sign and trade where they can get some picks back and maybe a young player? what value would carmelo have to them?

Tkf

Benchwarmer
It can't hurt having Fisher and those other OKC guys here. Fisher is the most important since he was an ex-player that was his teammate as well as the president of the NBAPA, he has to have developed a lot of respect for DFish over the years.

With Durant signing that huge endorsement deal with Nike I don't think OKC being able to offer the biggest contract will be a factor in him signing with his next team. I said in another post that maybe Phil should keep some powder dry and use all those expirings to not go after a max player next off season and wait to take a shot at Durant. Gasol, Rondo and Aldridge are the premier FA's next year, good players but give me taking a shot at Durant if it means not trying to sign one of those 3.

Also, the Knicks can't speak to Durant but if I were Nike I would be in his ear telling him that him playing in NY would be a boon for Nike and his brand more than OKC.

how is that? and what evidence is there to substantiate such a claim? This is a new era, social media, the internet, etc.... although NY is still a nice destination, guys can be larger than life no matter where they are... MJ never played in NY, It is hard to imagine Jordan being any more popular... Same with lebron... KD is doing pretty darn good in OKC...

Durant wants to win, and if he wants to do that, he is going to look at teams that offer him the best chance.. right now there are sooooo many other teams that can offer him that now and in the future, over the knicks..

I am sure he likes fisher a lot, and in the offseason he can have fisher over for beer and brats to shoot the breeze....he doesn't need to come to a NY team that is not in position to win to smooze with fisher.....

Broadway

All Star
how is that? and what evidence is there to substantiate such a claim? This is a new era, social media, the internet, etc.... although NY is still a nice destination, guys can be larger than life no matter where they are... MJ never played in NY, It is hard to imagine Jordan being any more popular... Same with lebron... KD is doing pretty darn good in OKC...

Durant wants to win, and if he wants to do that, he is going to look at teams that offer him the best chance.. right now there are sooooo many other teams that can offer him that now and in the future, over the knicks..

I am sure he likes fisher a lot, and in the offseason he can have fisher over for beer and brats to shoot the breeze....he doesn't need to come to a NY team that is not in position to win to smooze with fisher.....

I agree come on, what's with this oversell of NY and it's market hold on a star.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...-with-nike-turns-down-under-armours-megaoffer

Nike has countered Under Armour's offer of between $265 million and $285 million and believes it will keep Kevin Durant for the next 10 years, sources told ESPN. Nike, whose seven-year deal that guaranteed Durant $60 million is expiring, made an initial offer of about $20 million a year that was far from what Durant was looking for. Under Armour's huge play for Durant had many believing that Nike would even let him go at that price.

But on Saturday, Nike officials told Durant and his team at Jay Z's Roc Nation Sports that it would indeed step up enough to allow the world's largest shoe and apparel company to keep him in its robust stable of basketball endorsers that includes LeBron James and Kobe Bryant.

While the exact Nike offer for Durant isn't known, sources told ESPN that Durant should make more -- in base and royalties -- than the Thunder will pay him over the next two seasons ($41.2 million). That's why fans in Oklahoma City were nervous about a possible move to Under Armour, which could have steered him more to returning to his local roots to play for the Washington Wizards when he becomes a free agent after the 2015-16 season.

So he needs to be in New York to get a better deal than 10yrs $300mil? Some of you guys need to step back and accept reality.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
You guys can't be serious that Durant in NY wouldn't appeal to Nike.

Only reason I brought up the Nike deal was KD won't be like a Chris Bosh looking for the team that can afford to pay him max money as his top priority, he may well go home to DC taking less money like Lebron did.

I don't know how KD feels about NY because Lebron hates it but if he's in love with NYC we could have a shot at getting him.

Broadway

All Star
You guys can't be serious that Durant in NY wouldn't appeal to Nike.

Only reason I brought up the Nike deal was KD won't be like a Chris Bosh looking for the team that can afford to pay him max money as his top priority, he may well go home to DC taking less money like Lebron did.

I don't know how KD feels about NY because Lebron hates it but if he's in love with NYC we could have a shot at getting him.

He already appeals to Nike at record endorsing levels.

His original deal was 7yrs $60mil it's now 10yrs $300mil. Are you implying Nike would offer him 10yrs $500mil if he played in New York? Get real

Tkf

Benchwarmer
He already appeals to Nike at record endorsing levels.

His original deal was 7yrs $60mil it's now 10yrs $300mil. Are you implying Nike would offer him 10yrs $500mil if he played in New York? Get real

good point. I mean Durant already appeals to NIKE as you can see by the deal they gave him. At some point and with some players in this new world ruled by social media and the likes, the NY appeal looses some of its steam...

Durant is going to be huge no matter where he plays and all nike cares about are that people still buy his stuff... that won't change for durant no matter where he is...

But has anyone ever wondered what appealed to Durant?

good point. I mean Durant already appeals to NIKE as you can see by the deal they gave him. At some point and with some players in this new world ruled by social media and the likes, the NY appeal looses some of its steam...

Durant is going to be huge no matter where he plays and all nike cares about are that people still buy his stuff... that won't change for durant no matter where he is...

But has anyone ever wondered what appealed to Durant?

Cheap okc let harden go. Not serious about winning rings. Durant is gone and likely to knicks. But maybe bulls or la.