Report: "Knicks Will Have Parker if they want him"

Accourding to a report out of NBC sports, we can have em if we want him!

Report: Tony Parker contemplating a move to New York next summer
Sat Aug 14,2010 7:10 PM ETBy Kurt Helin
Amare Stoudemire has made the move. Carmelo Anthony is reportedly thinking about it.

And now it may be that Tony Parker is in a New York state of mind as well, at least according to the very good Alex Kennedy at Hoopsworld:

The Knicks will make Anthony their priority next summer but the team, according to one source, "will have Parker if they want him." Tony loves the situation in New York and, similar to Anthony, has already begun expressing interest in the destination to those in his inner circle.


This season, Parker is going nowhere. The Spurs want to make one more big run at it, and they believe that a lineup of Parker, George Hill, Manu Ginobili, Tim Duncan and newly signed Tiago Splitter (look for that lineup to close games, not start) along with Richard Jefferson, DeJuan Blair, Antonio McDyess and Matt Bonner they can do some serious damage in the playoffs. They likely can, if they can keep the core healthy.

But whenever that run ends, Tony Parker becomes a free agent. And Manhattan is becoming quite the draw.


The Question is do we want him? I mean if we got him we would have to give up Gallo and Randolph which is something I dont want to do. If we can work out a sign and trade involving Felton and one of our rookies or something that would work.
 
You know...I'm going to go ahead and say NO to this one.

Parker is a great player. That's true.

But if we sign Carmelo, we'll have Amar'e and Carmelo as our two primary scorers - having Parker, a so-so distributor, as our PG, I don't think that's the greatest move.

Furthermore we'll have to see how Felton performs; I think he has a chance to really excel in this system.

That and Parker is a defensive liability as well. If we can sign him as a free agent then that's something to consider but we shouldn't give up Gallo/Randolph for him.
 
You know...I'm going to go ahead and say NO to this one.

Parker is a great player. That's true.

But if we sign Carmelo, we'll have Amar'e and Carmelo as our two primary scorers - having Parker, a so-so distributor, as our PG, I don't think that's the greatest move.

Furthermore we'll have to see how Felton performs; I think he has a chance to really excel in this system.

That and Parker is a defensive liability as well. If we can sign him as a free agent then that's something to consider but we shouldn't give up Gallo/Randolph for him.

I'm right there with u on that. We need to be patient.
 
I mean, here's the reality of it.

If Felton performs to his expectations in this system, I see him averaging 9 assists per game and 14.3 points or something like that.

Is Tony Parker REALLY that much better than that? I don't know. Parker would score more points but he wouldn't get as many assists; he's probably not a good a distributor/facilitator as Felton is.

In other words - the only reason we should consider getting another PG is if said PG has the potential to be MUCH better than Felton. Like, for example, Chris Paul, who is an MVP-caliber player. Parker, on the other hand, isn't quite there.
 
do I want Parker?....yes

See my Thread about him becoming an MVP canidate in this offense for explanation


Two worries tho....1. if we still look as if we are trying to nab a PG what does that do for Raymond Felton's confidence going into next season? as two thrids of our team showed us last year, an athlete unsure about his tenure with a team is going to under produce

2. we simply could not afford both without some sort of sign and trade or renouncing our rights to Wilson and/or trading Tariaf (our only legit starting Center as sad as that sounds) for an expiring deal to free up the space to Nab both.

but the potential of

Parker
Anthony
Gallo
Amare
Randolph (yes he can play the 5)

is a legit contender....but Felton could prove to be very good for us and if he does I hope we somehow give him confidence moving forward that he is the PG of the future for us.


shaky situation.....but in truth as much as I like Parker I really am pulling for Felton who represents our best PG since Steph.
 
Accourding to a report out of NBC sports, we can have em if we want him!




The Question is do we want him? I mean if we got him we would have to give up Gallo and Randolph which is something I dont want to do. If we can work out a sign and trade involving Felton and one of our rookies or something that would work.
If Felton does not live up to expectations then yes we should try to get Parker but Carmelo is priority #1 and is much better than Parker will ever be.
 
Realistically, we'd only be able to get Parker OR Melo next offseason. Parker is a terrific player but Melo is my number one priority next offseason. And if Felton plays the way I think he is capable of playing in our system, I'm not sure that I'd want to spend big money on Tony parker, even if Melo doesn't work out.
 
Yeah we should only consider getting a PG other than Felton if said PG is going to be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade. (ie CP3, D-Will, etc.)

And there's no doubt, Carmelo is next year's offseason priority. The minute it's June 1 Donnie Walsh needs to have Carmelo on the line offering as much money as he possibly can.
 
I'm not convinced we'd really need him. I wanna see what Felton can do but I think he's gonna do a great job and we can save that money for someone else (hopefully Melo)
 
Let's have Raymond Felton for at least a full season first, shall we?

I wouldn't mind if we had an aging PG in Parker if he still makes plays like he did a few years ago. This entire thread is turning out to be like the '03 Lakers or the '06 Heat. (RE: Gary Payton signings)
 
Back
Top