2016 NBA Playoffs

mafra

Legend
Cavs come back from 3-1, and do something the previous 32 teams couldn't... Win a title! They beat a team who hadn't lost 3 in a row in what? 2 years?

Cavs also win a game 7 on the road... I believe only the 3rd team to do so...

End a 52 year title drought in CLE.

Lebron wasn't as great as he was in the previous 2 games... But his block saved the day. Kyrie was fantastic... Irving outplayed Curry in this series.

Once again, much to the chagrin to the saber metric crowd,
Consistently knocking down high % shots is superior to the downtown gunslingers.

Sure... CLE was 1-13 from downtown at the half... But GSW missed 11 threes in the first half themselves... I doubt GSW would've even beaten the NYK of the 90s... They wouldn't of had an answer to Ewing.

Love redeemed himself enough in Game 7... His trade value back up a bit... Just wonder if winning it all makes it easier or harder to deal Kevin?

mafra

Legend
"Just understand what J.R.'s been through and people just saying that there's no way he can be a winner," James said. "When our GM came to us last year and said, 'Hey, we've got a deal to get Timofey Mozgov and get Iman Shumpert, and the Knicks are going to throw in J.R.' I was like, 'What? They're going to throw in J.R. into the deal?' And I was like, 'Okay, I've got him. I got him.' And J.R. turned himself into not only a huge boost to our team, but he turned himself into a two-way player, both sides of the floor."

tiger0330

Legend
Cavs come back from 3-1, and do something the previous 32 teams couldn't... Win a title! They beat a team who hadn't lost 3 in a row in what? 2 years?

Cavs also win a game 7 on the road... I believe only the 3rd team to do so...

End a 52 year title drought in CLE.

Lebron wasn't as great as he was in the previous 2 games... But his block saved the day. Kyrie was fantastic... Irving outplayed Curry in this series.

Once again, much to the chagrin to the saber metric crowd,
Consistently knocking down high % shots is superior to the downtown gunslingers.

Sure... CLE was 1-13 from downtown at the half... But GSW missed 11 threes in the first half themselves... I doubt GSW would've even beaten the NYK of the 90s... They wouldn't of had an answer to Ewing.

Love redeemed himself enough in Game 7... His trade value back up a bit... Just wonder if winning it all makes it easier or harder to deal Kevin?
KLove blows, way overrated and overpaid. The Cavs would have been better off keeping Wiggins.

The Lebron/Kyrie show in the finals while the other 20M man was at best the 5th cog for them. I'd still trade his ass if I was Griffin despite winning that chip.

paris401

Starter
KLove blows, way overrated and overpaid. The Cavs would have been better off keeping Wiggins.

The Lebron/Kyrie show in the finals while the other 20M man was at best the 5th cog for them. I'd still trade his ass if I was Griffin despite winning that chip.

I think his market is very limited... he is a dud... won't put a contending team over the top, and $hitty teams can be just as $hitty without spending 20m per... the cavs won in spite of luv...

Broadway

All Star
Really story of the Finals was Lebron got a major assist from the league(Green ejection) and ran with it and Curry had the worst Finals performance Sans Lebron 2011 against Mavs that I've ever witnessed in nba history. Really an absolute disgusting performance from him but he did say this to start the yr out...

Curry and Lebron are very outstanding ball players I'm just not completely sold on how they're packaged to the masses. Curry's career just took a major blow. I told as many people as possible to tone down the Warrior and Curry stuff but got rebuffed a lot.

Otoh I'm now more interested in seeing Durant jump ship to land on a top 2-3 team in the East or West Cavs withstanding so I can then see how the media and fans play out this narrative. You got Lebron now trolling the Warriors after arriving back home with a Chip. His story is corny and contrived as it gets but oh well I guess good for Cleveland considering what he put them through.

mafra

Legend
I think NBA could use Lebron returning to villain status - he signs with Lakers... LAK trades for Melo... And Durant (or Westbrook next year) join them.

Anyway, good to see LJ deliver title to CLE... I just wonder if CLE would've been able to beat OKC?

tiger0330

Legend
I think NBA could use Lebron returning to villain status - he signs with Lakers... LAK trades for Melo... And Durant (or Westbrook next year) join them.

Anyway, good to see LJ deliver title to CLE... I just wonder if CLE would've been able to beat OKC?
I wonder if CLE could have come back from that 3-1 deficit if Draymon hadn't been suspended, Bogut wasn't injured and Iggy didn't have that balky back.

Would have been nice to see the Dubs at full strength in this finals to really get a perspective on whether they are the GOAT, losing the finals still leaves that distinction to the 96 Bulls.

mafra

Legend
GSW not even close to GOAT... The were at full strength last year and they still fell behind a depleted Cavs team 2-1 (winning their 1 game in OT)...

The Warriors, basically, played 2 good (& healthy) teams the last 2 years (in the playoffs): they lost to CLE and should've lost to OKC.

GSW are a good team... They benefit from the modern day rules... When they're draining threes they are outstanding... But Jerry West & Goodrich were better shooters when it mattered most (Klay & curry now average the last 2 NBA Finals). I would take Frazier & Monroe over these two as well.

The problem with small ball and GSW... They would have no answer for Russell, Kareem, Wilt, Shaq, The Dream, Ewing... Even in this modern era, the Spurs had their #.

Not taking anything away from GSW... But people (in this blog culture and 24/7 sports coverage) tend to go overboard these days.

GSW wouldn't beat the Pistons, Lakers, Celtics, Bulls of the 80s-90s... They probably don't even beat the Cavs of the 90s (price,
Daughters, ehlo).

Broadway

All Star
I wonder if CLE could have come back from that 3-1 deficit if Draymon hadn't been suspended, Bogut wasn't injured and Iggy didn't have that balky back.

Would have been nice to see the Dubs at full strength in this finals to really get a perspective on whether they are the GOAT, losing the finals still leaves that distinction to the 96 Bulls.

Yeah like mafra said GSW was full strength last yr and Cleveland wasn't. Matter of fact every round of the playoffs last yr GSW played against a team who had a major injury to a key player or two. I'm still so disappointed in Curry. Keep in mind he wasn't Finals MVP when they won last yr and he's played a total of 13 Finals game and hasn't delivered 1 classic performance. I can't think of any Top 20 player in this league outside of Lebron/Draymond/Klay and possibly Kyrie that if you gave them 13gms crack at Finals they'd dud out like he did.

I want to see if he says goodbye to OKC, Durant go to GSW if Barnes leaves in FA or SA....or Raptors or Boston. Primarily the first two I mentioned so I can see how people dance around this narrative if he wins a lot.

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
I wonder if Barnes hurt his stock... What did he finish at? Something like 5-31 shooting?

So pumped that draft if this week and free agency soon to follow.
2016-2017 season officials is the focus now.

tiger0330

Legend
Been seeing more comments about the Cavs trading KLove. You would think he's immune from that kind of talk since they won their chip.

The issue isn't even his 21M, analysts were pointing out that his contract might look like a bargain in the last year of his contract with the cap going up but its simply his fit on the Cavs.