Anthony Carter

smokes

Huge Member
I really hope we keep him as our 2/3 string PG. This guy is truly one of the best 8-10 mpg players in the league in my opinion.

I remember watching him in 2009 backing up Billups, in the WCF against the Lakers. The guy can guard Kobe Bryant in the playoffs for gods sake!

Seriously some of us have been calling for AC since the start of g2. Anyone who watched him back in Denver knows behind our 3 stars he is the most tested playoff vet.

Here's to a PG, who George Karl trusts enough to play 15mpg against the best team in the NBA.

STAT1

Starter
He played his heart out today, at least there was 1 guy who didn't wanna go down without leaving it all on the basketball court.

finestrg

Rotation player
It's simple for me -- if we can get him to come back for peanuts, I'm in. If not, bye-bye..I can come up with about 5 guys that we can get for peanuts that are a lot younger with equal or higher skill level..Guys that are better than AC, better than Toney Douglas even.

That said, he did play his heart out today and I was damn proud of his effort. He may have played himself right out of our price range though..To me, cap management is essential from here on in..If it were me, I would never pay a role player in the NBA something substantial if I can get the same or better production somewhere else. Esp. if I had my eye on a big prize or two in 2012 FA and needed ever oz. of cap room I could muster to go after that. We adhere to that one simple guidline we'll be okay and be a big player in 2012 FA. There's no question in my mind that even if we picked up Billups' option and we're right at the cap, we could re-tool with our 1st round pick, as many 2nd rounders as we can buy and as many minimum-salary players as we can find..There's a ton of guys out there we can find w/o needlessly overspending that can greatly improve the club over what we finished up with here to end the year. No doubt about it..

Last edited:

STAT1

Starter
I can't imagine AC would require anything more than a veteran's minimum contract to sign especially at his age he'll be 37 next year.

IcEWaTEr123

Benchwarmer
He should be resigned for the veterans minmum maybe 200k more. His leadership and heart would be crucial on our new team.

finestrg

Rotation player
I can't imagine AC would require anything more than a veteran's minimum contract to sign especially at his age he'll be 37 next year.

True..What is the vet minimum anyway? And what would the standard salary be if we wanted to add a DL player or the like, someone like a Jeff Adrien, a Curtis Stinson, or a DeShawn Sims? I thought the vet min. is around 900K-$1M and the min. for a non-vet is around 400K, though I don't know for sure. Anyone know?

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
He, Amare, and Melo put it all on the court for us today. AC especially, props to this little street BALLER- Hope we retain this guy as our 2nd/3rd PG next year.

STAT1

Starter
True..What is the vet minimum anyway? And what would the standard salary be if we wanted to add a DL player or the like, someone like a Jeff Adrien, a Curtis Stinson, or a DeShawn Sims? I thought the vet min. is around 900K-$1M and the min. for a non-vet is around 400K, though I don't know for sure. Anyone know?

That sounds about right but the new CBA might change those figures a bit. Either way I wouldn't mind having AC on the team next year but we seriously need to give up trying to make TD into a natural PG, he just doesn't have a clue how to run an offense.

Paul1355

All Star
I really hope we keep him as our 2/3 string PG. This guy is truly one of the best 8-10 mpg players in the league in my opinion.

I remember watching him in 2009 backing up Billups, in the WCF against the Lakers. The guy can guard Kobe Bryant in the playoffs for gods sake!

Seriously some of us have been calling for AC since the start of g2. Anyone who watched him back in Denver knows behind our 3 stars he is the most tested playoff vet.

Here's to a PG, who George Karl trusts enough to play 15mpg against the best team in the NBA.

Mike D benching this guy for 3 quarters in game 3 made me sick just seeing Douglas sumble and fumble balls and not looking at open guys.

I feel like a frigin expert analyst because ive been saying to play AC more minutes since game 1.

Douglas failed, he is not a PG.

AC should get resigned just for this game alone. He showed heart, great defense and clutch shooting/passing.

smokes

Huge Member
Yeah, the guy is old definitely a 3rd string. Toney can play the point sometimes but not as a pure PG, at least not now. He has shown glimpses of being a good playmaker so I do wonder if the pressure of the playoffs + starting role had a large affect on his performance.

I think the jury is still out on whether TD can be a decent PG. However it's not like all teams run with 2 guys with great passing ability. Look at the Celtics backups. They don't have any other distributor than Rondo, you just change things up a bit when your starting PG is resting. Instead of trying to play MDA-ball all game with players who can't pass like Steve Nash. Give us a new coach and TD can play backup point without being forced into that role.

I still think AC has a lot to give this team both on and off the court. Remember those rare moments with AC and TD playing defense together? There is obviously chemistry building there.

AC will sign for the minimum I'm certain, and I would bet he would want to keep playing with Billups and Anthony too.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Love....this.....guy. If he was 25 I'd want him to be our starting PG. He is a MUST. Brings EVERYTHING I love in a PG.

Yeah great competitor and another player we've picked up to late. He's 36 now and there's a good chance he'll retire.

We could have used players like him during the shit years when Duhon was running our offense :cool:

KBlack25

Starter
There is a lot of fat that needs to be trimmed on this team - Anthony Carter is not part of it. AC will make a good 2/3 type guy - giving a solid 15 or so minutes per game. He''s a vet, he can be a leader, and I would love to have him back.